PDA

View Full Version : another trailer tire question

4day!!
05-15-2006, 02:09 PM
so i completetly threw the tread off on a trailer tire last week. The tires are about 3 years old and have maybe 1,300 miles on them. The guy at the tire store said it looked like a defective tire was to blame. He also said regardless of miles on them that they should all be replaced every 3-5 years, just beacuase of the weight and heat they are exposed to. They were goodyears on a zeiman trailer w/a 25' Advantage. Tire pressure was good on all. He put a Greenball on which is now my spare :confused:
Questions:
How often should they be replaced?
whats the most reliable brand?
what are the pros and cons of radial vs. bias?

BoatPI
05-15-2006, 02:35 PM
Call Zieman and gripe they could all be a recall item?

Outnumbered
05-15-2006, 03:31 PM
I hear Towmasters are the shit. I just got some and hopefully they will last.

Nord
05-15-2006, 03:38 PM
Trailer tires can be a real biatch!!!
Make sure they are rated for towing........a lot of trailer companies will put low profile tires on for looks, appeal, etc. However if they aren't rated for towing, they come uncapped like a refurbed tire for a semi.......
I say, replace them all every 2 - 3 years and save the headache..
The problem is when they sit in one spot for soo long (off season) it really has a bad long term effect on the tire.

Flying Tiger
05-15-2006, 04:03 PM
My Extreme Trailer owners pamphlet said replace them every 2 years, and keep them at 50 PSI or they will die on the road, and they were right.
Americas is the only chain that offers a replacement warranty, and at a reasonable price.
Carlisle is a div. of Good Year according to their website.
Proper psi is essential.

Outnumbered
05-15-2006, 04:07 PM
Americas/Discount can order Towmasters and give you the warranty too. I just got some for $50 each plus M/B & RH. Screw Carlisles!

4day!!
05-15-2006, 06:39 PM
Thanks guys. The trailer came with 205/75/14 goodyears. Any opinions on radial vs. bias?

4day!!
05-15-2006, 06:42 PM
I hear Towmasters are the shit. I just got some and hopefully they will last.
i looked up towmaster on tires.com they are made by Greenball correct. There is a Greenball Towmaster on their site.

Outnumbered
05-15-2006, 06:52 PM
i looked up towmaster on tires.com they are made by Greenball correct. There is a Greenball Towmaster on their site.
Yes, Greenball. I was told that the Towmaster V is the ticket. So far so good for me but I only have two trips on them.

3 daytona`s
05-15-2006, 06:54 PM
I`ll never forget what a wise old man told me years ago,you $20,000.00 boat (at that time) and you are going to pull it on a 50 cent trailer with bad tires. I did not listen to him and several bearing failures and tires blowing sitting by the road after stressful week I decided would never at any cost happen again.The spare even if not used after a few years is not good,just the way it is any more.

Outnumbered
05-15-2006, 06:55 PM
Thanks guys. The trailer came with 205/75/14 goodyears. Any opinions on radial vs. bias?
Radials run cooler at high speeds. If you are going for short tows at low speeds and want them to last forever than get the bias ply. My Cobalt had the OEM Carlisles bias plys on it from 2000 when I got it. They still looked new but I couldn't trust them. Boat was never towed out of Havasu for 6 years though.

Brian
05-15-2006, 07:26 PM
My trailer came with 7 Goodyears 205/75/14 and 5 of them have thrown treads in 3 years. No pressure/maintenance issues, just crappy tires. Have replaced them with Greenballs one by one and so far (knock on wood) haven't lost a Greenball. Two more (not so)Goodyears to go...

4day!!
05-15-2006, 07:29 PM
My trailer came with 7 Goodyears 205/75/14 and 5 of them have thrown treads in 3 years. No pressure/maintenance issues, just crappy tires. Have replaced them with Greenballs one by one and so far (knock on wood) haven't lost a Greenball. Two more (not so)Goodyears to go...
hhhmmm? sounds like i need to get all tires replaced with towmasters next trip. I hate to take a half a day next trip to get tires put on. I keep the boat in storage in needles. Anyone know of a mobile tire service or got any ideas?

NuckinFutz
05-15-2006, 07:44 PM
I lost two tires on my trailer (Goodyears on a Zeiman trailer) coming home from Havasu after the Poker Run. The tires are not quite two years old and still had a ton of tread. Spun the treads both times. No more Goodyear for me. The tires were still full of air, but no tread, the second one worked the fender over as well. Every tire store I've talked to says Goodyears are famous for spinning the tread off.

Outnumbered
05-15-2006, 09:52 PM
hhhmmm? sounds like i need to get all tires replaced with trailmasters next trip. ...
You want Greenball Towmasters, I think Trailmaster is made by Goodyear.

Riomouse911
05-15-2006, 10:16 PM
Whatever tire you choose (Goodyear Marathon are a sure ticket to tire failure hell after 3 years) make sure you get a spare.. and carry a jack and lug wrench to change a flat. Nuthin' worse that sitting on the I-40 in 115 degree heat with a spare.. and no wrench to fit it. (Hasn't happened to me, but it's happened to others I know) Good luck!

FreshTracks
05-16-2006, 06:04 AM
I am picking up my new boat Thursday, and it's sitting on an Extreme Tandem Axle with Carlisles. Will these be safe for one season? I tow from OC to the river two to three times a month. I know Carlisles suck, but if I can hold off from buying new tires right away I'd be stoked.
BTW, my last trailer I put on Maxxis tires, great tire and great price.

4day!!
05-16-2006, 06:50 AM
You want Greenball Towmasters, I think Trailmaster is made by Goodyear.
My bad i meant Towmaster

4day!!
05-16-2006, 06:59 AM
Whatever tire you choose (Goodyear Marathon are a sure ticket to tire failure hell after 3 years) make sure you get a spare.. and carry a jack and lug wrench to change a flat. Nuthin' worse that sitting on the I-40 in 115 degree heat with a spare.. and no wrench to fit it. (Hasn't happened to me, but it's happened to others I know) Good luck!
Funny you mention these things. My trailer came w/out a spare and i just got one about a month ago. Also noticed that my lug wrench didnt fit my trailer tires so i got a new one. I drove my bro inlaws yukon to the river last week when i had the flat. Trying to find the jack i looked under the seats 3 times, pulled everything out of the cargo area and threw it on the dirt to lift up the cargo floor mat, and nothing. Fockin took me 15 minutes to find the damn jack. Over the rear driver side tire. A little prevention and preplanning go a long way.....