PDA

View Full Version : 2 wheeler or Quad?

djunkie
12-10-2005, 12:01 PM
Which is your prference? And what brands and models do you recomend?
I've been tossing around the idea of riding again. I used to ride years ago but had a bad accident and got away from it and got into boating. :crossx:
Now I have the itch again. I'm more of a cruiser/ trail rider. Probably never see glamis or the sand again (since my accident was in the sand). Most of my friends ride the 2 wheelers but I'm kinda thinking I may be less likely to ride like a nut case if I got a quad. I loved the bikes but I just feel like I'd be less likely to try stupid stuff on a quad.

H20 Toie
12-10-2005, 12:09 PM
the quad will beat you up more than a bike unless you fall . so get a Rhino :) or a buggy.

BarryMac
12-10-2005, 12:11 PM
IMO, a two wheeler, if your gonna do any kind of trail riding the two wheeler is a much better choice, if your only doing Glamis then it's a 50/50...

djunkie
the quad will beat you up more than a bike unless you fall . so get a Rhino :) or a buggy.
Can't afford the Rhino. I already got a golf cart on steroids anyways. :crossx:

djunkie
IMO, a two wheeler, if your gonna do any kind of trail riding the two wheeler is a much better choice, if your only doing Glamis then it's a 50/50...
I doubt I will ever go to glamis again

BarryMac
12-10-2005, 12:14 PM
I doubt I will ever go to glamis again
I would do the two wheeler then... IMO...:D

Outnumbered
12-10-2005, 12:27 PM
I had a similar situation to you. Got back into riding a few years ago after riding 2-stroke 250's back in the 80s and 90s. I bought a few quads and was never quite happy. Then I bought a bike and could not be happier. I now ride a KTM 450EXC enduro. Great trail bike that can take a beating and will chug along or haul ass depending on what your mood is. If you will not be in the dunes, the bike is the right choice.

ColeTR2
12-10-2005, 12:32 PM
I gave up four wheels on my bike at age 4. It was when my dad took off the training wheels.

Topock Junkie
12-10-2005, 01:19 PM
If your concerned about getting hurt again. I would suggest just ridding a cooler full of beer.

pixilatedpussy
12-10-2005, 01:22 PM
Which is your prference? And what brands and models do you recomend?
I've been tossing around the idea of riding again. I used to ride years ago but had a bad accident and got away from it and got into boating. :crossx:
Now I have the itch again. I'm more of a cruiser/ trail rider. Probably never see glamis or the sand again (since my accident was in the sand). Most of my friends ride the 2 wheelers but I'm kinda thinking I may be less likely to ride like a nut case if I got a quad. I loved the bikes but I just feel like I'd be less likely to try stupid stuff on a quad.
I swear by my 450 & Geza swears by his! So....its entirely up to you! He says he will never ride a quad.....(but I have caught him playing on mine) hee hee! :p
See ya tonight!

H20 Toie
12-10-2005, 01:28 PM
If your concerned about getting hurt again. I would suggest just ridding a cooler full of beer.
now that is how you really get hurt.

djunkie
12-10-2005, 02:41 PM
Well I just got back from the motorcycle show in Long Beach ( thank you Ziggy for the tickets) and I looked at the bikes and quads. I looked at the Honda 4 stroke (450 I think) and the Yamaha one. Both are really nice bikes. Kinda like the Honda better. Then I sat on the new Raptor 700 from Yamaha. I really liked that. That was the most confortable quad I've ever been on. It was big as hell too. Now I really don't know what to do. :cry:

Ziggy
12-10-2005, 02:50 PM
Well I just got back from the motorcycle show in Long Beach ( thank you Ziggy for the tickets) and I looked at the bikes and quads. I looked at the Honda 4 stroke (450 I think) and the Yamaha one. Both are really nice bikes. Kinda like the Honda better. Then I sat on the new Raptor 700 from Yamaha. I really liked that. That was the most confortable quad I've ever been on. It was big as hell too. Now I really don't know what to do. :cry:
Funny you bring it up because my buddy is deciding between those same three quads...He's most cumfy on the Raptor but gets pressure from other peeps to get one of the 450's. With the improvements to the Raptor this year he may still go that way, just the extra lbs it weighs concerns him when it comes to loading/unloading in his truck.
Good luck deciding, I've raced 2 wheels in my younger days at Carlsbad when 4 strokes weren't popular and riden quads the last 18 years......Banshee. I'm not opposed to them but I don't think I'll own another 2 wheel off roader again. Quad makes it easy to stop for a break and have a nice place to sit :p

cola
12-10-2005, 02:52 PM
Two wheels, Harley & Yamaha YZF's :cool:

djunkie
12-10-2005, 03:03 PM
Funny you bring it up because my buddy is deciding between those same three quads...He's most cumfy on the Raptor but gets pressure from other peeps to get one of the 450's. With the improvements to the Raptor this year he may still go that way, just the extra lbs it weighs concerns him when it comes to loading/unloading in his truck.
Good luck deciding, I've raced 2 wheels in my younger days at Carlsbad when 4 strokes weren't popular and riden quads the last 18 years......Banshee. I'm not opposed to them but I don't think I'll own another 2 wheel off roader again. Quad makes it easy to stop for a break and have a nice place to sit :p
Well the 700 weighs about 50 pounds more and seems a lot bigger. I felt big on the 450. But the 450 is a lot more sporty and is built for more abuse suspension wise. But I'm kinda like you. I'm done with the jumping and hard riding. I want a nice cruiser thats comfy and still has the power to climb hills when needed.

J540
12-10-2005, 03:05 PM
I have the 700 well its the wife's bike but if you want to take it for a run call me. I like it is very fast and got a real good deal low 6's out the door.
But for me I have the Polaris predator 500 Few things dunn too it, but stock it rides way better than the YZF or the honda, comes stock with fox shocks 11" in front 10" in rear Has Rev, I have a pipe, air intake and it stays right with the Honda and the YZF 450s that had the same mod's, just pull's the YZF a bit. The Suspension on those are way stiff, any way. and i got the bike 6100 OTD. time you change the suspension on the others you will have 8000 or more to get what I have stock. BTW, the stock 700 beat both the Mod, YZF an Honda.
I use to race Quads PRO, a bit ago so i have a just little bit of Experience on them.
Give me a call.
John.

soupersonic
12-10-2005, 03:30 PM
I had an 02 Raptor, that thing was fun as hell , plenty of power to go fast and climb hills,rode nice enough not to beat the hell out of me, put a 6 pack rack on it for your drinks and lunch. I had after market bars (stock ones were kinda lame) . Four stroke so no mixing gas. I would buy another one if i was going to ride again.

OGShocker
12-10-2005, 03:39 PM
I have a 2002 XR 650 R (for sale) and a 700 Raptor. I like them both. If you want a good deal on a 1989 Suzuki 500 quad PM me.. :)

djunkie
12-10-2005, 04:59 PM
I have a 2002 XR 650 R (for sale) and a 700 Raptor. I like them both. If you want a good deal on a 1989 Suzuki 500 quad PM me.. :)
Sorry no more 2 strokes for me. I'm sure liking that 700 Raptor right now. :rollside:

Ziggy
12-10-2005, 05:44 PM
Well the 700 weighs about 50 pounds more and seems a lot bigger. I felt big on the 450. But the 450 is a lot more sporty and is built for more abuse suspension wise. But I'm kinda like you. I'm done with the jumping and hard riding. I want a nice cruiser thats comfy and still has the power to climb hills when needed.
For the comfort I think the Raptor is a great way to go, oodles of power so climbs are effortless for the engine. 50lbs isn't much and the ride quality would be superior to the 450's since they're more set up for radical sport usage.
Decisions, decisions LOL

canuck1
12-10-2005, 06:04 PM
Buy both then you have all the angles covered

Flying Tiger
12-10-2005, 06:10 PM
YFZ 450 quads here, with 2 psi in the tires rides terriffic.
Dumont Dunes,, we're sand people.
See ya tonight

FLEA DIDDY
12-10-2005, 06:54 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/thedirty30/bike3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/thedirty30/bike2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/thedirty30/bike.jpg
As you can see I am a 2 wheel type, I raced MX from 10yrs old til I was 30yrs old, 32 now, Bones don't heal the same anymore. :rollside: Texas rednecks have pretty much ruined the image of quads around here, not to mention all the mofo's I've seen hauled off in the MEAT WAGON! I would'nt mind gettin some kinda small single seat dunebuggy though. :)

djunkie
12-11-2005, 12:22 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/thedirty30/bike3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/thedirty30/bike2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/thedirty30/bike.jpg
As you can see I am a 2 wheel type, I raced MX from 10yrs old til I was 30yrs old, 32 now, Bones don't heal the same anymore. :rollside: Texas rednecks have pretty much ruined the image of quads around here, not to mention all the mofo's I've seen hauled off in the MEAT WAGON! I would'nt mind gettin some kinda small single seat dunebuggy though. :)
I'm sure if I dig around here I've got some similar photos of myself jumping like that. I'm afraid if I got another 2 wheeler it'll tempt me to start that again. That 700 Raptor is still looking good to me.
J540. One of these days I'll have to take you up on your offer. Definately like to take a look at your bikes.

badtaste
12-11-2005, 03:05 PM
if you still want the feel of the two stroke power band, but like to sit once in a while. try a Banshee. they're scare the shit out of you fast, but can be a mellow trail ride too. just my .02 :crossx:

djunkie
12-11-2005, 03:13 PM
if you still want the feel of the two stroke power band, but like to sit once in a while. try a Banshee. they're scare the shit out of you fast, but can be a mellow trail ride too. just my .02 :crossx:
Banshee's are nice but not what I'm looking for. Definately wanna go with the 4 stroke.

noxiousz28
12-11-2005, 03:17 PM
get a bike. more suspension. a good bike for trail riding would be any 4-stroke. Now i ride a 05 CRF450r and it's a great bike. you can still putt around on it, also is very fast when you want to go fast. and with a 4-stroke no more mixing gas and elevation isn't much of a problem compared to a 2-stroke.