PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Stocking Stuffer

Dana Marine Products
12-11-2005, 10:30 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2484TSB-0100-1.jpg
Billet aluminum bezel for mercruiser transom trim switches. Available in polished, powdercoated, and anodized finishes. $29.00, www.danamarineproducts.com

cc322
12-11-2005, 10:47 AM
I told my wife I wanted Dana Tabs for Xmas LT 500 when they gonna go on sale?? :rollside: Dont let her resort to Bennetts :cry:

Dana Marine Products
12-11-2005, 09:04 PM
Bennett's? I hope we can prevent that from happening. Have her call me, I'll go over the benefits of a billet cylinder compared to a plastic one. "We" as a team should be able to convince her.

Dusty Times
12-11-2005, 09:06 PM
What's the scoop on the new anchor?
I just got the new product email a few minutes ago.

RiverDave
12-11-2005, 09:28 PM
Billet aluminum bezel for mercruiser transom trim switches. Available in polished, powdercoated, and anodized finishes. $29.00, www.danamarineproducts.com
Why go through all the hassle to make a "bezel" for a cheezy switch? When you guys already make switch plates and use higher grade switches for dashboards? It's an extra (if I remember right) 1.00 a switch to get IP68 water proof switches etc.. Why not just make a switch plate from scratch? Incidentally.. Why don't you use IP68 switches on the dash as well? Doesn't cost hardly anything more in the quantities you guys would be running?
If your going to come up with "original" (well not in this case, but ya know what I mean) ideas, why not atleast try to improve on them, instead of make some cheap knock off?
Just my opinion on it..
RD

shadow
12-12-2005, 05:04 AM
Do you make a dual switch similar to this?I'd like for for the drive and hatch
both in the same bezel.

Dana Marine Products
12-12-2005, 07:25 AM
Well Dave, although I appreciate your concern for us, I think it's a little unprofessional to enter this forum and bash our products. FYI - Sometimes we get asked to make a specific product, in this case, the transom bezel. I give my customers what they ask for. As far as I'm concerned, I thought it would be a great little part that anyone can simply install from the outside of the boat in 1 minute with no wiring, or extra holes to cut or drill. As far as the other carling style switch, the switches we use are marine water resistant switches that have worked successfully in the marine industry for over ten years. And quite frankly, we think they look better than the other top design. If we were going to make a transom switch assembly that would be exposed to a high volume of water, we would probably entertain the idea of a totally water proof switch. Dana Marine Products has never done anything to you or your company, as a matter of fact, we have powdercoated and anodized your battery boxes on more than one occasion for some of your customers.
As far as making "original" products, Mercruiser has had a transom trim switch available for over 7 years. So I'm not really sure what this comment is supposed to mean.

Dana Marine Products
12-12-2005, 08:19 AM
Hey Dusty, I started a specific thread on the anchor. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

superdave013
12-12-2005, 10:16 AM
The knock off king is getting testy about getting knocked off. That is rich lol

RiverDave
12-12-2005, 12:12 PM
Well Dave, although I appreciate your concern for us, I think it's a little unprofessional to enter this forum and bash our products. FYI - Sometimes we get asked to make a specific product, in this case, the transom bezel. I give my customers what they ask for. As far as I'm concerned, I thought it would be a great little part that anyone can simply install from the outside of the boat in 1 minute with no wiring, or extra holes to cut or drill. As far as the other carling style switch, the switches we use are marine water resistant switches that have worked successfully in the marine industry for over ten years. And quite frankly, we think they look better than the other top design. If we were going to make a transom switch assembly that would be exposed to a high volume of water, we would probably entertain the idea of a totally water proof switch. Dana Marine Products has never done anything to you or your company, as a matter of fact, we have powdercoated and anodized your battery boxes on more than one occasion for some of your customers.
As far as making "original" products, Mercruiser has had a transom trim switch available for over 7 years. So I'm not really sure what this comment is supposed to mean.
Well Bob.. I'm not in the industry anymore so the word "unprofessional" I don't think applies in this case. Since you touched on it though, you got some brass balls even keeping that word in your vocabulary. To be quite honest I'm pretty amazed a lightning bolt doesn't come out of the sky and strike you where you stand for even contemplating using that word. You see Bob... You can't lecture people on "professionalism" when you (and your boss) are lacking a simple thing called "ethics." You know what I'm talking about, and it's not my dirty laundry to air, so I'll leave it at that out of respect for the only stand up guy in the industry.
Carefull with the wording that Dana Marine has never done anything to me. Becuase I've heard from 4 of my old customers the exact same phrase.. "Buy anything from Dave, and we'll never sell you another part again." I suppose that's just business, so I don't take it personally.. I genuinely do hope someone makes a run at that market with more financial backing then I had, becuase god knows the entire billet industry needs an enema. Pretty much everything made today sucks on some level. Everything is geared around being "cheap" becuase you all make the same shit, that was knocked off by one or the other. I do applaud Dana on coming up with some original ideas here and there, but for the most part 90% of everything made falls under the category listed above..
As far as powdercoating and annodizing some battery boxes that I made in the past. Well that pretty much validates my point with regards to the industry needing some new products. Must have been when I was 1st starting, becuase it took me awhile to find the place that damn near everyone in the industry uses.
In short I think your a little diluted.
RD
Oh.. Figured I'd mention that Access Technologies made a transom remote for about 8 years as well.

Jbb
12-12-2005, 01:02 PM
Well Bob.. I'm not in the industry anymore so the word "unprofessional" I don't think applies in this case. Since you touched on it though, you got some brass balls even keeping that word in your vocabulary. To be quite honest I'm pretty amazed a lightning bolt doesn't come out of the sky and strike you where you stand for even contemplating using that word. You see Bob... You can't lecture people on "professionalism" when you (and your boss) are lacking a simple thing called "ethics." You know what I'm talking about, and it's not my dirty laundry to air, so I'll leave it at that out of respect for the only stand up guy in the industry.
Carefull with the wording that Dana Marine has never done anything to me. Becuase I've heard from 4 of my old customers the exact same phrase.. "Buy anything from Dave, and we'll never sell you another part again." I suppose that's just business, so I don't take it personally.. I genuinely do hope someone makes a run at that market with more financial backing then I had, becuase god knows the entire billet industry needs an enema. Pretty much everything made today sucks on some level. Everything is geared around being "cheap" becuase you all make the same shit, that was knocked off by one or the other. I do applaud Dana on coming up with some original ideas here and there, but for the most part 90% of everything made falls under the category listed above..
As far as powdercoating and annodizing some battery boxes that I made in the past. Well that pretty much validates my point with regards to the industry needing some new products. Must have been when I was 1st starting, becuase it took me awhile to find the place that damn near everyone in the industry uses.
In short I think your a little diluted.
RD
Oh.. Figured I'd mention that Access Technologies made a transom remote for about 8 years as well.
Thats my boy.....Head straight for the jugular Dave...... :p

HALLETT BOY
12-12-2005, 01:33 PM
Question for Dana : I have a space in my Hallett 270 that is where they normally install a 2 way radio, but nothing is there now...can you or do you know of someone that can fabricate out of billett maybe, a 3 inch by 7 inch
pocket for storage ? about the size of a stereo opening...

Dana Marine Products
12-12-2005, 01:44 PM
I can assure you Dave, we have never, and never will take any type of strong arm approach to any of our customers. We have never done anything to your/our customers in regards to buying your product. Again, we tried to help them by doing their coatings. So who ever told you that we threatened them to not buy your products was using us as some form of excuse, because it simply never happened.
As far as our eithics, I don't think you should be commenting on my, Dana's, or Dana Marine's ethics. You don't know me or him. I don't even know what ground your standing on to say something like that. Whether it's your dirty laundry to air our or not, you still came on a public form and air'd it out.
It is unfortunate that the marine industry is a tough industry because things are constantly being knocked off. It's very expensive to patent things and even more expensive to protect them. So it's a viscious circle.
The bottom line is, we've never bashed you or your products. I don't think it's right for you to fired rounds at us in regards to our products. In regards to my past employment, you don't know what happened. It's a joke that your even commenting on that. It's a personal issue, my personal issue. You don't know my position, or my efforts. If you'd like to have a discussion on that issue, give me a call. I'd love to talk all day about it with you. A public forum is simply not the place.

Jordy
12-12-2005, 02:02 PM
Popcorn here!!! Get your popcorn here!!!! We have a couple varieties:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/23popcorn.jpg
Or, how about some hot buttery popcorn???
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/3001/23popcorn1.jpg
:D :D :D

bigkatboat
12-12-2005, 04:36 PM
Way back in 1995/96 my company built 7, 20' blown V- drive boats at the same time. (along with our other work) I had told my customers that I was moving to Havasu and they started ordering boats before I moved. Four of my customers wanted "DANA MARINE" one piece billet swim steps. I ordered the 4 pieces I needed and waited. Well I'm still waiting, almost 10 years! Every phone call was 'some excuse, some other BS' and I NEVER GOT ONE OF THEM! I had to make them myself, and I didn't have time, but I did it anyway, because I DON'T OFFER AND THEN NOT DELIVER! I'm glad that Dana Marine Products has been a "leader in the marine field". I am happy to say that they can live without me and I can live without them. I understand "Dave's point", I do all my work on a manual mill, and it's so easy to stamp out "money making cookies" on a CNC machine. Do any of the Kiebler Elves work at Dana Products? Why do (self proclaimed) "big shots" offer products when they cann't deliver? If I offered something, I would stay ALL NIGHT (if needed) to deliver what I promised. What do you have if your 'word' is no good? From a guy who has spent many "allnighters"

Nord
12-12-2005, 04:51 PM
I have a cutting edge marine switch that is powdercoated and works beautiful!!
Even has led lights that are red on a white switch!! Totally bling look to it.
The switches are great and a cool upgrade for older boats!!! :)

cc322
12-12-2005, 04:51 PM
Bennett's? I hope we can prevent that from happening. Have her call me, I'll go over the benefits of a billet cylinder compared to a plastic one. "We" as a team should be able to convince her.
She should have called you today? Well I hope she did. She will not tell me since it might be a Xmas gift. I gave her all the info plus the Bennett stuff to swing by you as well?????? :mad: :rollside:

RiverDave
12-12-2005, 05:04 PM
I can assure you Dave, we have never, and never will take any type of strong arm approach to any of our customers.
Strange how 4 out of 4 people that to my knowledge don't talk to each other, all repeated the exact same phrase to me.
We have never done anything to your/our customers in regards to buying your product. Again, we tried to help them by doing their coatings.
Stop pretending that you did me some favor by coating some battery boxes or something.. If a customer brought you something to coat, that has nothing to do with me, that's between you and them. They could've just as easily gone to Rex, Eddie, or just taken it over to Dunham themselves.
So who ever told you that we threatened them to not buy your products was using us as some form of excuse, because it simply never happened.
Well.. it did, and more then once so I'm not sure what to tell ya.
As far as our eithics, I don't think you should be commenting on my, Dana's, or Dana Marine's ethics. You don't know me or him. I don't even know what ground your standing on to say something like that.[/qoute]
It would be pretty dry ground.. Good altitude as well.
[quote]
Whether it's your dirty laundry to air our or not, you still came on a public form and air'd it out.
No not really.. airing it out would be. "Bob, you and Dana did this, and that, and then did this which really sux.. and this is why I think you have no ethics." Implying that I know your boss is a shady character isn't airing it out.. Just simply stating, that I know, and now you know that I know.. Or was it, I know that you know, that I know? I dunno, knowing gets so confusing sometimes.
It is unfortunate that the marine industry is a tough industry because things are constantly being knocked off.
Well atleast there's something we can agree on.
It's very expensive to patent things and even more expensive to protect them. So it's a viscious circle.
Some things you just can't patent, or they wouldn't be worth your while in any event. One would think though that in such a small industry where everyone practically knows everyone people would have some pride in their own products?
As far as I'm concerned GRP is the only guys making anything that atleast isn't a direct copy off of everything else.. The vicious circle always ends up starting with one guy making something, and then the other two knocking it off and doing it cheaper.
Just for your own knowledge, I never considered myself to be a big enough fish to have anybody knock something off of me.. Although I will say I was the 1st to have the remote bezels. ;)
The bottom line is, we've never bashed you or your products.
Well Bob.. I'm of the opinion that you probably would've if you could've, but ultimately you can't.. I mean honestly how can you even compare on a good day any one of the things I made to anything of the same nature that comes from DMP?
I don't think it's right for you to fired rounds at us in regards to our products.
Well again, I'm not in the industry anymore.. So I'm not really bound by the ties of "professionalism." I saw a picture of something that made me think "cheap knock off" so I called a spade a spade.. Again the thing that amazes me is you guys have all the stuff right there to make something arguably nicer then the things I made, but you'd rather make something cheap? Just blows me.. away is all.
In regards to my past employment, you don't know what happened. It's a joke that your even commenting on that. It's a personal issue, my personal issue. You don't know my position, or my efforts. If you'd like to have a discussion on that issue, give me a call. I'd love to talk all day about it with you. A public forum is simply not the place.
Your right about the public forum not being the place, and ultimately it's none of my biz so I'll leave well enough alone.
At the end of the day the only thing that I was really trying to point out is this
is.. well for lack of a better description http://www.riverratlife.com/forum/images/graemlins/tosser.gif
I think you guys can do better.
RD
RD

Dana Marine Products
12-12-2005, 05:16 PM
Hey Big Kat, sorry to hear about that problem. Back in 96, that was way before my time. Not to make excuses, it was a small operation back then, getting pulled in 40 different directions. Again, no excuses, I would have stayed and pulled the all nighters too. I don't know the details about that situation, but this company underwent a major facial in the last 3 years and is under new management. If you do need any future assistance, and want to give us a try, we'd be happy to help you.

Dana Marine Products
12-12-2005, 05:37 PM
Favor or no favor about the coatings, we could have sent them down the road and it probably wouldn't have hurt you, but it certainly wouldn't have helped. It doesn't matter, you just don't see the point and you have some assumption that you're an enemy to us. If you feel that way, ok. But we don't feel that way and never have.
Just to confirm, I know you made a billet trim switch panel for the transom, but I never knew you made a bezel that goes over the stock Merc trim switch. We haven't made a transom trim switch panel, simply a bezel that installs over the stock Merc switch. So there's really no big piss-n match over the fact that you made a billet transom trim switch panel. (1st)
Never the less, you make some pretty strong statements about a person (me) that you don't know from Adam. I'm sure the high altitude dry ground is single sided and probably doesn't have too many details about my past position. As previously stated, if you want to talk about it, give me a call. You've got the number. Maybe your opinion would change.

riverbound
12-13-2005, 07:56 AM
This was an amuzing read :D