PDA

View Full Version : DTV & HD reciever??

cdog
12-12-2005, 02:37 PM
I'm heading down to Best buy to get a new D-TV box that has the DVR and HD. Can you get them on-line for cheaper? I guess I have to buy a new dish too? Anyone know??

Jyruiz
12-12-2005, 04:39 PM
You can always find it cheaper on-line, but do you want to wait? And to receive HD from DTV you will need the oval dish with all three LNB's.

cdog
12-12-2005, 04:44 PM
It sounds like i'm gonna get poked. The $200 rebate is only for new customers. Ouch! These guy's are like cell phone company's. My TV won't be here till friday so i've got some time to do some searchin.

Jyruiz
12-12-2005, 04:50 PM
If you have been a DTV customer for over 2 years, call them and ask for the retention center and tell them you want to go HD with a DVR and what kind of deal can they give you. If you don't like it, tell them you are going to go with cable then and they will drop the price even more. DTV does not like to loose customers to cable. Good luck.

Nordicflame
12-13-2005, 11:45 AM
You may want to investigate this. It sounds to me that the DTV HD boxes may be becoming obsolete very shortly from some online research. (I could be wrong) The new mpeg4 satellite will be going into full swing in 2006 and the existing equipment (with the $200 rebate) will not be compatible. DTV is looking how to convert everyone.
I'm hanging with my cable (Comcast) until they get it all straightened out. Besides it's currently the only way for me to get the HD majors (NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX) out our way. DTV will be expanding that HD service to my area in the coming year and then I will switch. Until then, the wide bandwidth HD major channels on the cable are outstanding and you don't have to buy any boxes; it comes with the service. The downside is the lower lower 100 non digital channels suck! The boxes convert from digital to analog and it's pretty rough.
Hurry up DTV!!!
Hope this helps,
Dave

Jyruiz
12-13-2005, 11:53 AM
DTV is suppose to change out the equipment when they go to MPEG4, who knows how long that will take though and if they will shut off the MPEG2 right away.

ROZ
12-13-2005, 12:17 PM
DTV is suppose to change out the equipment when they go to MPEG4, who knows how long that will take though and if they will shut off the MPEG2 right away.
Yep..
Another thing is that DTV may not roll it out in 06...... All depends, on what I don't know :)