PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Question

Gilligan
05-16-2006, 05:44 AM
Since no one reads the How To Section. :mad: I will repost the question here.
I have a custom trailer for my boat. The bottom of the hull lightly scratches the trailer when I load it. Would there be anything wrong with raising the trailer bunks by sticking an extra 2 X 6 underneath them? They are bolted down and I do not see any harm? THe extra 1 3/4 inch should be plenty of lift to keep the boat from rubbing the trailer. :rollside:

Nucking futs
05-16-2006, 05:46 AM
I don't see any problem with that.

Gilligan
05-16-2006, 05:50 AM
I don't see any problem with that.
Sweet!! I am thinking about doing 1 by's first instead of 2 by's. Baby steps. :)

Nubbs
05-16-2006, 06:04 AM
Be careful as you do this. Unless the mounts for your bunks are vertical, adding 2" beneath each bunk will not raise the bunks 2". Typically mounts for the bunks are on an angle. A 2" spacer beneath the bunk will move the bunk 2", perpendicular to the mount. Does that make sense? The distance between the bunks also decreases. This may or may not be ok for your combo. Draw a V, then offset the lines \V/. Notice how the distance between the lines decreased? Anyways, I hope I didn't confuse you too much.

Gilligan
05-16-2006, 07:00 AM
Be careful as you do this. Unless the mounts for your bunks are vertical, adding 2" beneath each bunk will not raise the bunks 2". Typically mounts for the bunks are on an angle. A 2" spacer beneath the bunk will move the bunk 2", perpendicular to the mount. Does that make sense? The distance between the bunks also decreases. This may or may not be ok for your combo. Draw a V, then offset the lines \V/. Notice how the distance between the lines decreased? Anyways, I hope I didn't confuse you too much.
That was my initial concern and why I am now thinking of going for the 1 by's at first!! That way it will not move the V's as much and hopefully the bunks land where they are supposed to on the hull. A 1 by probably really measure 3/4 of an inch!!