PDA

View Full Version : Rose Parade

SoCal_fun
01-01-2006, 11:55 AM
WTF??? 51 years no rain and now, of course, since I finally don't have to work this year (because it's on a Monday), I buy a bunch of expensive reserved grandstand seats and F'n RAIN like a mother!! This SUCKS big time!! :mad:
The rest of the family still wants to go though, so we'll be sittin out there in the damm rain for 5 or 6 hours!! :cry:
Anybody else dumb enough to go even though it's gonna pour?? :rolleyes:

cc322
01-01-2006, 01:11 PM
We will have it just as bad in front of a cozy fireplace roof over head unlimited access to beer, toilet and maybe if it lets up a trip in our spa....Yeah its gonna be rough :cry: J/K HAVE FUN

SoCal_fun
01-01-2006, 01:33 PM
We will have it just as bad in front of a cozy fireplace roof over head unlimited access to beer, toilet and maybe if it lets up a trip in our spa....Yeah its gonna be rough :cry: J/K HAVE FUN
Thanks for the moral support!! LOL!! :rollside:

Throttle
01-01-2006, 02:20 PM
do you still need some more support?
no rain at my place! and a pajama party!

SoCal_fun
01-01-2006, 02:30 PM
do you still need some more support?
no rain at my place! and a pajama party!
Waaahhhh!
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
At least we got some good ponchos, and we'll bring some hot chocolate in a thermos. :cool:

Rexone
01-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Go figure... A rare year when they choose to not have the parade on New Years Day, and NYD is dry and the 2nd rains like a cow pissin on a flat rock. Bet there's a few second thoughts runnin around Pasadena right about now.
I heard on the news too that no umbrellas are allowed in the grandstands. I'm sure that will make parade watching much more enjoyable.

MBlaster
01-01-2006, 07:13 PM
Just be glad you didn't have to show up at midnight with your horse. Break out the silver saddle you spent 6 hours cleaning. Saddle up at 6am and ride down a slippery street in the rain.

SoCal_fun
01-01-2006, 07:16 PM
I was thinking about the poor mid-westerers that spent all year on fundraisers for the highschool band and the parents and kids that spent a bunch of money to participate and they get to march (without rain coats) for 5.5 miles.. Fun fun fun!! :cry:

Mandelon
01-01-2006, 08:14 PM
I grew up in Pasadena and used to run that parade route all night long. The night before the parade was a fun, fun trip up and down colorado Blvd. I don't ever remember one in which the parade wasn't on New Years Day......there were a couple close calls on rain, but it never did rain on us. some nights were cold as heck though.....
Its like a 10 mile long block party.....
Take along a nice sheet of plastic to keep you dry.....

Rexone
01-02-2006, 01:35 AM
I read up on it a little. It's the 17th time in the 117 year history is hasn't been in NYD. The TOR has an agreement with Pasadena never to have it on a Sunday. The last year it wasn't on the 1st was 1995.
A quote..
"The "Never on a Sunday" policy, established in 1893, was agreed upon to avoid frightening horses tethered outside churches on Colorado Boulevard and thus avoid interfering with worship services, tournament officials said."
That seems like a pretty useful policy lol. I'm surprised our state government didn't create it. :)
The only plastic I'll be needing is the plastic housing the remote control. :)

Flying Tiger
01-02-2006, 08:14 AM
Yea, it's an interesting Blue Law that managed to stay on the books.
Other odd blue laws:
In Parker, no booze sales on Sunday until after noon.
I remember once in Seattle, They had a weird law. Not sure if they still have it but it kinda went like this:
I think you could take your own booze into a pizza place,,, but not your own pizza into a bar.
Also, the big COSTCO magnums of booze were taxed at a much higher rate on a geometric sliding scale than a fifth. So when I visited, I usually had mostly booze for luggage.
And,, strangely enough, I brought up cooking vanilla flavoring because it was heavily taxed in Washington State like liquor, and only sold where the premisis had a booze license (1% alcohol).
I belong to the Elks Club on Orangethorp and Colorado on the parade route.
All the major TV outlets pay to have their cameras and equipment there for coverage. The lodge has an 100 year old hotel on the premisis too.
This is the first year CBS opted out and won't be covering the parade saving them millions in costs, and a major loss of revenue to the lodge.
Perhaps the shape of things to come with the other networks?
Anyone know why they're waiting until Wednesday for the Rose Bowl?
It used to be the afternoon of the parade.

Old Texan
01-02-2006, 08:41 AM
Anyone know why they're waiting until Wednesday for the Rose Bowl?
It used to be the afternoon of the parade.
BCS championship game. You been asleep? :p

Flying Tiger
01-02-2006, 09:09 AM
BCS championship game. You been asleep? :p
OH,, TV ratings & revenue

Hardly Satisfied
01-02-2006, 11:27 AM
that's why they make rain coats for

Just Tool'n
01-02-2006, 12:14 PM
Go figure... A rare year when they choose to not have the parade on New Years Day, and NYD is dry and the 2nd rains like a cow pissin on a flat rock. Bet there's a few second thoughts runnin around Pasadena right about now.
I heard on the news too that no umbrellas are allowed in the grandstands. I'm sure that will make parade watching much more enjoyable.
Rexone, I thought I was the only one who used the expression,
"Like a cow pissin on a flat rock"

SoCal_fun
01-02-2006, 01:08 PM
Okay, we're back. That was something else, cold and we're soaked through!! I won't be doing that again (not in the rain anyway).
The floats and bands were great, even in the rain. Beautiful, beautiful!
We felt so sorry for all those young girls in heels and tights dancing down the very wet and slipery street. I'd be suprisec if someone didn't get hurt.
The worst though, we saw multiple accidents, including one that almost finished off my whole family. A mini van on the 134 flipped and rolled over and over up against the gaurdrail coming directly at us and very close to up and over the gaurd rail and into my lap. Very scary image for us.. :220v:
Had a good time overall, even though we were surrounded by longhorn fans... :cool:

JetBoatRich
01-02-2006, 05:00 PM
Larry :cool: good to see you still enjoyed parade, rain took away from the comfort :rolleyes: now you can at least you were there when it rained on the rose parade :rolleyes:

cola
01-02-2006, 06:28 PM
Rexone, I thought I was the only one who used the expression,
"Like a cow pissin on a flat rock"
All us OLD guys use it. :cool:

SoCal_fun
01-02-2006, 07:58 PM
Larry :cool: good to see you still enjoyed parade, rain took away from the comfort :rolleyes: now you can at least you were there when it rained on the rose parade :rolleyes:
Thats what Marina said.. LOL! LJ loved it, Madison was not so impressed with the wet and cold. :rolleyes:
How was Dove Springs??

JetBoatRich
01-03-2006, 04:49 AM
Dove springs was fun, too much rain but we made the best of it :rolleyes: I picked up a 450X Friday and put 175 miles on it over the weekend :cool:
There was a few water crossings Monday after the rain Sunday night, made the trails a nice no dust and fun.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/78Steph_1154-med.jpg

Sherpa
01-03-2006, 06:55 AM
up north it's: A 2-peckered goat pissin on a flat rock.
--Sherpa

SoCal_fun
01-03-2006, 11:16 AM
Dove springs was fun, too much rain but we made the best of it :rolleyes: I picked up a 450X Friday and put 175 miles on it over the weekend :cool:
There was a few water crossings Monday after the rain Sunday night, made the trails a nice no dust and fun.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/78Steph_1154-med.jpg
450X!! Cool! :) :)

Ziggy
01-03-2006, 11:23 AM
I read up on it a little. It's the 17th time in the 117 year history is hasn't been in NYD. The TOR has an agreement with Pasadena never to have it on a Sunday. The last year it wasn't on the 1st was 1995.
A quote..
"The "Never on a Sunday" policy, established in 1893, was agreed upon to avoid frightening horses tethered outside churches on Colorado Boulevard and thus avoid interfering with worship services, tournament officials said."
:
My wife and I were cracking up at that "frightening Horses" part, just as they were telling about this on TV they were showing horses with sirens and firetruck horns blasting away directly behind them :rolleyes: