PDA

View Full Version : Chevy V8 - 4.8L & 5.3L Owners

BoaterX
05-17-2006, 12:32 PM
1. Please tell me which engine you have and what you're towing (i.e. 23' Cobra, 24' Deck etc.)
2. Does your tow rig have any performance mods (i.e. Programmer, Exhaust, Air Filter)
3. Do you have stock or aftermarket wheels? If aftermarket, please tell me the size wheels.
Obviously there's better towing power out there (Diesel, etc), but I am trying to find out what everyone is towing with these size engines.

Cole Trickle
05-17-2006, 01:48 PM
1. Please tell me which engine you have and what you're towing (i.e. 23' Cobra, 24' Deck etc.)
2. Does your tow rig have any performance mods (i.e. Programmer, Exhaust, Air Filter)
3. Do you have stock or aftermarket wheels? If aftermarket, please tell me the size wheels.
Obviously there's better towing power out there (Diesel, etc), but I am trying to find out what everyone is towing with these size engines.
I have owned 2 5.3 Powered Silverados (03 Regular Cab 2x4/05 Crewcab 2x4)
If your towing at all I would upgrade to the 5.3L over the 4.8.I ordered both of my trucks with the optional 3:73 gars and they run hard.
The regular cab didn't tow but was ran at the track.With intake,exhaust and a Diablo programmer it made 285HP/315TO at the rear wheels and ran a 14.5 at 98 in the 1/4 mile on 20" wheels.(It hauled the mail pretty good)
The 2005 is a work horse and we use it regularly to tow my 20' Carson Trailer/Rhino. (It laughs at this load and will pull in 3rd gear without downshifting up any hill)
We also use it to tow our 28' Sleek Enforcer (7,000lbs) around havasu.It does a good job but needs 2nd for big grades.The motor is strong but I think ultimately the tranny would be the weak link when you tow steep grades with heavy loads.
The 2005 only has a Magnaflow Cat-Back and made 270/310 to the wheels.
Gas mileage is also fairly decent.It gets a tad over 21 MPG on the freeway and I can tow from OC to Glamis on a little over a half tank pulling the Carson.
The 4.8L is OK and likes toi rev but do yourself a favor and spend the extra $$ for the 5.3.(Photogulu can get you the truck for an unbeatable deal)

sigepmock
05-17-2006, 03:06 PM
I agree with Cole Trickle, if you plan to tow at all get the 5.3L with a minimum of 3.73 gears. I had the 5.3L in a 99 1500 and now in my wife's Tahoe. The 1500 was a 4x Z71 with 4.11 gears, it towed really well until I lifted it and put 35's on it. Even then it did OK. The Tahoe has 20" wheels, 3.73's, and is 2x. It towed our 21 Ultra very well. got 15 mpg towing at 65 -70. Not towing it's near 20 on the highway and 17 around town. It has the Diablo Sport Predator set on the 87 Octane tune, the programmer really helped the drivabilty on the Tahoe, it goes when you give it gas and doesn't search for gears. Also a good seat of the pants power increase.
I've been in a 4.8L short bed reg cab Chevy and it was slower than the 3.8L V6 I had in my first Chevy truck.
Call Jay Photoglou and he can set you up in 5.3L Silverado at such a good price the 4.8L won't even be a thought anymore,
Chris

Cole Trickle
05-17-2006, 03:31 PM
I've been in a 4.8L short bed reg cab Chevy and it was slower than the 3.8L V6 I had in my first Chevy truck.
Chris
The 4.8 is by no means a weak motor they actually only dyno about 20-30HP less than the 5.3 but they don't feel that great because they are missing 40-50 Ft Lbs of Tq.
Chris is smoking crack if he thinks his 3.8 V6 ran better than a 4.8 V8 but the LSX engines are a little deceptive the way they make power.The old chevy stuff made god TQ immediately yet fell on it's face at 4K Rpm's.The newer motors still make decent HP/TQ down low but they pull all the way to the 6K redline without dropping off.
Plus my first truck with the 4.3 Vortec V6 would have smoked his first truck!!! :crossx:

sigepmock
05-17-2006, 03:51 PM
Plus my first truck with the 4.3 Vortec V6 would have smoked his first truck!!! :crossx:
No way F@G!!! My 5 speed 3.8L V6 with the K&N and UPS Truck sounding 2 chamber Flowmaster was fast as hell.....well not really but with the loud exhaust and easy burnouts with the 5 speed it sure sounded fast.... :crossx:
Yeah you are probably right about the V6 it did make a lot of low end grunt....Whenever we towed to Glamis I was always right with my buddies with the 4.8's. That low end TQ really made that V6 a decent little motor.
So enough of the past.....wanna race truck angainst truck today... :crossx: I'll even race you with that sissy little Vette in tow behind mine :) :D

Cole Trickle
05-17-2006, 04:03 PM
No way F@G!!! My 5 speed 3.8L V6 with the K&N and UPS Truck sounding 2 chamber Flowmaster was fast as hell.....well not really but with the loud exhaust and easy burnouts with the 5 speed it sure sounded fast.... :crossx:
Yeah you are probably right about the V6 it did make a lot of low end grunt....Whenever we towed to Glamis I was always right with my buddies with the 4.8's. That low end TQ really made that V6 a decent little motor.
So enough of the past.....wanna race truck angainst truck today... :crossx: I'll even race you with that sissy little Vette in tow behind mine :) :D
Don't nap on my 4.3L with the Gibson exhaust,Airraid intake and the Hypertech programmer.I forgot to mention it was also a 5sp manual reg cab that slaid alot of 5.7L extra cabs back in the day. :crossx: :220v:
You would probably be surprised by the power of the 5.3L Crew cab.My buddy Jeremy has a new Lifted D-MAx with the Edge w/attitude/Magnaflow that wouldn't stand a chance(Of course the truck weighs 2K ounds more and is pushing 37'shttp://www.***boat.com/forums/customavatars/avatar13368_1.gif
Diesels are for towing.......
Racing one is like playing basketball with a 1 armed midget....Fun/entertaining for a while but kind of a waste of time if you think about it;) :p
Now vettes on the otherhand are for racing :crossx:

BoaterX
05-17-2006, 05:54 PM
Good feedback, but I should have been more specific....
I currenlty have an 04 Tahoe 4.8L, with 22" Wheels, Magnaflow Exhaust, Hypertech Programmer and K&N Air Filter. I tow a 23' boat with a 496 (just sold) and it tows just fine. I need to get on it a little when I see a hill coming up, but I want to know what's the biggest boats getting towed with either the 4.8L and the 5.3L engine.
I love my Tahoe, but I worry about how much more boat can I tow than the old 23' I had.

sigepmock
05-17-2006, 06:11 PM
Good feedback, but I should have been more specific....
I currenlty have an 04 Tahoe 4.8L, with 22" Wheels, Magnaflow Exhaust, Hypertech Programmer and K&N Air Filter. I tow a 23' boat with a 496 (just sold) and it tows just fine. I need to get on it a little when I see a hill coming up, but I want to know what's the biggest boats getting towed with either the 4.8L and the 5.3L engine.
I love my Tahoe, but I worry about how much more boat can I tow than the old 23' I had.
That's a tough one...and probably more of an opinion type answer up until you hit the vehicle's max towing capacity or get close to it. I for one would not tow anything much bigger than the 23 you had....when I towed our 21 Stealth with the Tahoe I really didn't like it, but then again I'm used to towing with the diesel now. Having to rev the motor to 4000 rpm's on the big hills wasn't something I want to do that ofen.
Now for towing around town in Havasu, to the ramp and back I think the Tahoe can handle a lot bigger boat :crossx: but I wouldn't want to use it to tow back and forth from SoCal on a regular basis. Now I'm sure there are lots of other people that tow 28 foot boats all the time with their 4.8L or 5.3L and don't mind it at all, so you see what I mean about it being opinion based up until you get close to the vehicles actual tow ratings.
I guess the only way for you to find out is to volunteer to tow a few bigger boats out and see how you like it.
Chris
Oh yeah and one more thing Cole Trickle blows goats :yuk:

cc322
05-17-2006, 08:25 PM
I am not a GM guy but I tow with a V10 and If GM offers a upgrade on the gearing GET IT, like 4:10 OR 4:30'S that will be your biggest mod you can make no exhaust, filter or chip will do as much for towing as the correct gears for the load.

BoaterX
05-18-2006, 06:18 PM
I heard something today that was interesting. This is what I was told....
I was told....Longer wheelbase makes a difference when towing. If you take two trucks, with identical power, except one was a shortbed and other was a longbed then longbead has a longer wheelbase and would handle the load much easier, because the weight is distributed much better. Anyone ever hear this?
Also talked to L & G Enterprises (http://www.landgenterprises.com/) who said he'd be happy to take my money, but re-gearing would not get me very much because my 22's overall height is only around 31 inches.

GETSOME
05-18-2006, 07:19 PM
5.3 Crew would kill my truck.. but pushing 37s with 3.73 gears and 4x4
But it is Alot of show and just a little go. I have done the fast thing with the Z-28 Camaro. But i get 999,999 more looks in the truck and i am not even in the 909 :crossx:

GETSOME
05-18-2006, 07:22 PM
If i could do it all over again. I would get a 5.3 crewcab with a Magnacharger on 20s. And still have enough money to buy a boat when i am done. Dam diesel is not cheap. hide sight is worth alot of money (dam stock market)

sigepmock
05-19-2006, 07:17 AM
I heard something today that was interesting. This is what I was told....
I was told....Longer wheelbase makes a difference when towing. If you take two trucks, with identical power, except one was a shortbed and other was a longbed then longbead has a longer wheelbase and would handle the load much easier, because the weight is distributed much better. Anyone ever hear this?
Also talked to L & G Enterprises (http://www.landgenterprises.com/) who said he'd be happy to take my money, but re-gearing would not get me very much because my 22's overall height is only around 31 inches.
Longer wheel base definately helps when towing down the road at speed, the weight distribution and the added resistance to being turned by the trailer forces on the hitch( works just like a wrench, the longer the handle the easier it is to turn) but the over GVWR of the vehicle is still based on weight. If you look at Chevy or Fords towing info on their trucks, typically the 3/4 ton long bed regular cab 2x has the highest trailering capacities, even more than the 1 ton's this is because this combination has the strongest componets with the least amount of weight on the actual vehicle. 4 wheel drive adds weight and decreases towing capacity, as does extra/crew cabs...etc...
Now as far as your Tahoe.....you have to remember it's a 1/2 ton with the smallest V8......with all your family and gear, full tank of gas, etc....you've got it loaded pretty good then add on the weight of a boat and you'd be suprised how fast you can get to the vehicles limits. I have always felt that my family was the most important thing in my life....as most of us do....so when it came time to get a new truck I got a 3/4 ton Chevy crew cab with the diesel.....it was expensive and doesn't ride nearly as well as the Tahoe....but I know it is enough truck to safely tow anything I will throw behind it.
I think you ultimately need to decide what you're gonna tow and then get a vehicle big enough to safely tow it....or just go big on the tow rig and then get whatever boat you. Trying to play the guessing game with your Tahoe will only cost you money and frustation. If you're like most of us...you'll always be looking to upgrade to a bigger and heavier boat.....why not get a truck big enough to handle your future needs.
I learned the hard way with my 3/4 ton Chevy with the 6.0L gasser, I re-geared, I did exhaust, I did a programmer, intake, ....finally threw a Whipple Supercharger on it.....it was a rocket ship.....but it never towed like I wanted and I eneded up spending a lot of time and money trying to make the truck do something it was never designed to do, tow over 14,000lbs in my case. I look back at all the people that told me to get the diesel from the start and kick myself for not listening sooner. Did I mention the mpg are a hell of a lot better than my gasser :crossx:
Just my $.02,
Chris

4day!!
05-19-2006, 12:30 PM
i jut recently towed my boat from needles to havi with my bro inlaws 06 suburban 5.3 3.73, vehicle loaded with crap, 5 adults and 2 kids.. I have a 25 advantage and estimate (trailer, boat, full tank,) about 7200 lbs. It did just fine. However the stopping power is nowhere my crew cab 2500. And i only towed it for maybe 45 miles.

H20 Party Starter
05-25-2006, 10:41 AM
put over 150K on a 2wd 2000 5.3, towed a 22' open bow skier, a 27' ultra shadow, A dunebuggy trailer to glamis 20x and a deckboat a few times. Went through 3 tranny's though, I had intake, exhaust, hypertech power programer, and 6" lift w/ 33" all terrains. I am convinced the power programmer killed the tranny's (there is an optiopn called "shift firmness" I liked to have on) :rolleyes:
Loved that engine sooo much, I just bought a 2006 silverado z71 4x4 w/ the 5.3 again also. 16,000 miles on it already, 4 trips tro Havasu Towing a 7,000lb boat and trailer with no complaints.
I just lifted it 8" on 35" tires and noticed a power loss, but still tows the boat fine. I will re-gear to 4:56 asap

MBMOSEBILT
05-25-2006, 11:19 AM
I had a 2002 2500HD 4X4 33" Tires. The motor was tuned up a bit with JBA headers, AEM Brute Force air intake, Gibson catback and Hypertec programer. I had the shift firmness on high and 93 Octane tuned. I could go and tow any where and any thing. I towed a 27' toy with buggie, quad, 120gal water and 150gal Fuel. I never had any power and drivetrain problems. I put 123,000mil befor custom ordering my 06 DURAMAX. It is so worth the little extra money to get the 2500HD. Just a little bigger parts go and do a hole lot more.

voodoomedman
05-26-2006, 12:40 PM
put over 150K on a 2wd 2000 5.3, towed a 22' open bow skier, a 27' ultra shadow, A dunebuggy trailer to glamis 20x and a deckboat a few times. Went through 3 tranny's though, I had intake, exhaust, hypertech power programer, and 6" lift w/ 33" all terrains. I am convinced the power programmer killed the tranny's (there is an optiopn called "shift firmness" I liked to have on) :rolleyes:
Loved that engine sooo much, I just bought a 2006 silverado z71 4x4 w/ the 5.3 again also. 16,000 miles on it already, 4 trips tro Havasu Towing a 7,000lb boat and trailer with no complaints.
I just lifted it 8" on 35" tires and noticed a power loss, but still tows the boat fine. I will re-gear to 4:56 asap
I tow my 24' Ultra with a 1500 Silverado with a 4.8 on 35" wheels but I have 4.56 gears. It pulls up Cajon 60 mph no problem. Gearing is important. With that being said the only reason I have the 4.8 and not the 5.3 is because of the color of my truck. Not easy to obtain and when I found it the 4.8 was in it. Of course I could tow with an S-10 though as I just go from the Havi house to Windsor most of the time. I think my next truck will be an HD Crew Cab.

Bense468
06-02-2006, 01:47 PM
I have the 5.3 crew cab with 3.73's, love the truck, but want a little more out of it. I only tow an 20.5 ultra, and it does just fine. I installed the K&N air intake and noticed a difference, I am waiting on cole to hook me up on magnaflow ;)
Truck has a 2 inch bel tech drop shackel in rear to level it, and its going on 20's soon.

W.O.T
06-02-2006, 11:29 PM
i have an 02 silverado 5.3L 1500 with the 3.73 gears and a locker. 2wd bone stock but with a lift and 35 inch tires. i tow my 18ft boat and can spank my buddys 5.4L f150 no problem up the grade. it just hit 80k miles ive noticed it has slowed down alot towing since it was new. when i first bought it i had a 3inch cat back with a flowmaster put on it and it hurt the power considerably. i think i should have stuck to the stock size diameter exhaust tubing. i shortly after had it returned back to stock exhaust i wont mess with it again runs best stock in my opinion. if i was towing a big or heavy boat i think i would want a diesel. but with my truck bed loaded and cab full of people pulling the boat i have no complaints.
http://myspace-773.vo.llnwd.net/00784/37/77/784217773_l.jpg

InKahntrol
06-03-2006, 07:58 PM
I drive a 2001 1500 extended cab 5.3 4x2 with 3.25 gears. I tow a 20' Campbell daycruiser, it's a tank at 5,400 lbs on the trailer.
It does great around town, lots of fun to drive, but it was hoofing pretty hard over the needles grade memorial day weekend. I just put a new K&N 77-Series cold air intake on, and that made a BIG difference. I'd guess probably 10-15 horsepower.
The truck has 96,000 miles, no major problems. I was going to replace it with a Titan, but when I heard about the new '07 Tundra, I just threw a carpet kit in the Chevy and decided to keep it another year. If I did more towing, I'd change out to 3.73s, that would make all the difference I think.
It's been a good truck though, no complaints.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b307/inkahntrol/Truck.jpg

shaun
06-07-2006, 04:02 PM
I have a 2005 1500 Crew Cab with the 5.3 and 3.73 gears. I tow my little 18' boat file, but i recently just bought a 30' Fleetwood trailer. It goes great on the highway and pulls fine as long as it's flat. You definitly feel it on the fills but it still isnt bad, if i was towing it all the time i would probably want somthing with a bit more power. The 30' trailer is i beleive 7400lbs.
My buddy has a 99 or 00 1500 with the 4.8. It's lifted a has bigger tires but he said he was re-geared and whatever. He was towing a brandnew 21' weekend warrior toy hauler and was over heating. He said he was having issues keeping speed and was towing about 50 MPH. .
Bottom line, the 5.3 is the smallest i would go on a truck, i'm still wishing i would have gotten the 4x4 option but at the time didnt really think i needed it.

meaniam
06-16-2006, 10:39 AM
the 4.8 does just fine on pulling a 25 ft boat up cajon stock everything. it saved me roughly 6k on price and i wanted pwr seat couldnt find 5.3 w/ pwr unless i went up to 30k.. my dad bought the 5.3 and pulls the 22ft montery which is a heavy ass boat and weighs more then the 25 ft boat i towed he drags that thing up the 330 to big bear and back down no problem. but the trailer does have brake system. otherwise it proably over power the truck. the 5.3 has a 7 in lift drivetrain and programming is stock tire size i dont remember maybe 31in. transmission has shifted a little hard on hot days while towing all day but no damage

I DIG IT !
06-16-2006, 04:58 PM
well i got 03 chevy 4.8 4x4 with exhaust and a air filter the rest is stock and im, very impressed with how it tows my 272 baja down the road!!!! now my last boat was a 24 reinell and the truck towed it like it wasent even there. the baja is about 6500lbs boat and trailer. i have 18" wheels an 285/60/18 tires the truck has the 3.73 gears and but im still very impressed on how well it tows. i get about 11 to 12 mpg when i tow the boat and 15 to 16 empty. i would not be afraid of the 4.8 at all. for how small it is it will blow your mind on how well it does. now granted it no a diesel but its not as much $. my pics is ant the bottom so you can see!! good luck and i hope that this helps have fun ont the water!!!! :)

Acommanderguy
06-20-2006, 12:37 AM
Ok so I came across this question and decided I wanted to through in my 2 cents. Anyways I have a 2000 4x4 chevy tahoe lifted 8 inchs in the front and 6 in the rearno gears havent been redone I run about 70-75 with mph on my way to havi Loaded with 7 people and gear. stop once for gas make it into havi with a half of tank. It has 20' moto metal rims and 36' super swampers. I put a flow master exhaust and a k and n fliter in. I just turn 119,000 miles. I change the oil like crazy. its always the same color when it comes out as it is when it goes in. The only problem I have had was a shift cable on my tranny broke. I have talked to chevy a dozen times about the 5.3 motor and the tahoe. I tow a 21ft commander thats weighs somewhere around 3200 pounds. I was concerned at first bc this truck didnt like to shift untill it hit 5500 RPM'S chevy told me that its normal, and that the redline is somewhere around 6200 or so. Also the only other thing I didnt like was my truck liked to run at 230 going up the grapevine on my way to pyramid. Again the chevy dealer told me not worry that it is normal for that truck to run hot. here is a pic
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b230/Anthonyccicchetti/havasupics078.jpg