PDA

View Full Version : WTF? Non Res. AZ reg is.............

havasurat27
05-17-2006, 04:21 PM
$259.00 year now. What the hell happened to the rates from last year? Any pointers on getting it registered as a resident? We own a home in LHC but have always ran into trouble getting resident registration. :mad: :220v: :mad: :220v: :mad:

JB in so cal
05-17-2006, 04:24 PM
you didn't get the memo?...
Yep. Got mine last year. Kinda weird, though. My reg. period is usually July. I got a sticker and reg. good until november...Not bitchin' at all.

Havasu Cig
05-17-2006, 04:25 PM
Don't have any advice for you, but along the same lines people should really look at the tax rates in Lake Havasu City. I just had to write them a check for over 21K for tax on a boat I don't even own anymore. After some checking I found out that the additional tax that the city adds onto the state tax puts them above the tax rate of California. Seems like some of the advantages of buying stuff or having stuff registered there is going away. :rolleyes:

Knucklehead
05-17-2006, 04:29 PM
Also be prepared to go to Kingman or Yuma to get it registered, you cant do it in Havasu. So add some gas money and time to that registration cost.

burtandnancy
05-17-2006, 04:33 PM
HavCig, I hope you don't really mean 21K. Could you mean $2,100?
We learned a few years ago, after having over 20 boats registered in AZ that NV was much cheaper and we started moving our boats there. Still better than CA though...

cc322
05-17-2006, 04:35 PM
$259.00 year now. What the hell happened to the rates from last year? Any pointers on getting it registered as a resident? We own a home in LHC but have always ran into trouble getting resident registration. :mad: :220v: :mad: :220v: :mad:
Wont be able to unless you can show a AZ DL a simple utility bill will not do. They all follow Cali at some point especially our neighbore states :mad:

Boatcop
05-17-2006, 04:43 PM
Wont be able to unless you can show a AZ DL a simple utility bill will not do. They all follow Cali at some point especially our neighbore states :mad:
Here's the requirement to be considered a "Resident" for the purpose of registering motor vehicles or watercraft at the "Resident" rate:
A. "Resident", for the purpose of registration and operation of motor vehicles:
1. Except as provided by paragraph 2, means the following:
(a) A person who, regardless of domicile, remains in this state for an aggregate period of seven months or more during a calendar year.
(b) A person who engages in a trade, profession or occupation in this state or who accepts employment in other than either:
(i) Seasonal agricultural work.
(ii) Temporary seasonal work for a period of not more than three months if the state in which the temporary seasonal worker is permanently domiciled has a similar exception.
(c) A person who places children in a public school without payment of nonresident tuition.
(d) A person who declares that the person is a resident of this state for the purpose of obtaining at resident rates a state license or tuition fees at an educational institution maintained by public monies.
(e) An individual, partnership, company, firm, corporation or association that maintains a main office, a branch office or warehouse facilities in this state and that bases and operates motor vehicles in this state.
(f) An individual, partnership, company, firm, corporation or association that operates motor vehicles in intrastate transportation, for other than seasonal agricultural work.

77charger
05-17-2006, 06:14 PM
259 bucks
50k plus boat. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Am i missing something? just pay the fees its part of boat ownership.It probably less than a tank of gas anyways and i am sure that doesnt stop most from boating

Mandelon
05-17-2006, 06:19 PM
You are not a legal resident, so you don't qualify for the resident rates.

Rod-64
05-17-2006, 06:43 PM
Mine went from $12.50 to $30.00!!!! :mad: :mad: :yuk: :mad: :crossx:

Havasu_Dreamin
05-17-2006, 07:56 PM
Don't have any advice for you, but along the same lines people should really look at the tax rates in Lake Havasu City. I just had to write them a check for over 21K for tax on a boat I don't even own anymore. After some checking I found out that the additional tax that the city adds onto the state tax puts them above the tax rate of California. Seems like some of the advantages of buying stuff or having stuff registered there is going away. :rolleyes:
What was the $21k for? And it ws due to LHC?

UHHH SUCKA
05-17-2006, 08:07 PM
Just got mine in the mail this month for $395.00, and insurance renewal for $850.00, but oh well what can you do. Pay and keep on Boat'n. Guess thats 1 less trip for me this month.

RiverPirate
05-17-2006, 09:00 PM
I've been had for the $295.00 twice already. I guess I was at the front of the line. No worries, any tax dollars that I can keep out of the Peoples Republic of California the better. :mad:

Havasu Cig
05-18-2006, 08:31 AM
HavCig, I hope you don't really mean 21K. Could you mean $2,100?
We learned a few years ago, after having over 20 boats registered in AZ that NV was much cheaper and we started moving our boats there. Still better than CA though...
No, it was 21k!!! They were asking for 26K but I was able to get out of penalties. :mad:

Havasu Cig
05-18-2006, 08:36 AM
What was the $21k for? And it ws due to LHC?
State sales tax plus the extra 2% tax that the City of Lake Havasu adds to any sale inside the city limits. The dealer that I bought the boat from did not collect the correct taxes at the time I bought it and so four years later I had to pay. It sucks writing a check for that much $$$ and getting nothing in return. :mad:
BTW, Taking delivery inside the city limits added 5k in tax. :rolleyes:

cdog
05-18-2006, 08:48 AM
You bought a 350k boat? Damm. Doing well I see. Congrats!! Can I do a ride along sometime.. I'll be lucky to buy a used 35 cig someday.

Cole Trickle
05-18-2006, 08:58 AM
I just paid ours $340
Still better than the 1% CA luxuary tax

FASTRAT
05-18-2006, 09:48 AM
Mine went from $12.50 to $30.00!!!! :mad: :mad: :yuk: :mad: :crossx:
Hey Rod...
when did the fees go up??? or does it have to do with the year of the boat etc?
fastrat

Mrs. casean
05-18-2006, 09:49 AM
I just paid ours $340
Still better than the 1% CA luxuary tax
Exactly! :D

Sportin' Wood
05-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Exactly! :D
I'm not sure of this because I don't own anything deamed worthy of the state to be a luxury, but is the luxury tax not a personal property tax? That being said I would guess(a$$ume) you still might get hit even if the boat is reg out of state.????
SW

MrsSigEpMock
05-18-2006, 10:44 AM
I about had a heart attack when I Paid ours. 67 vs 276 year on year.
look in to Nevada

Mrs. casean
05-18-2006, 10:48 AM
I'm not sure of this because I don't own anything deamed worthy of the state to be a luxury, but is the luxury tax not a personal property tax? That being said I would guess(a$$ume) you still might get hit even if the boat is reg out of state.????
SW
I have always been told the boat is a luxury tax, only on items registered in CA. Never heard of it for AZ, but who knows.

NeedlesNut
05-18-2006, 10:56 AM
Cali considers a luxury tax on boats, pwc's and personal planes.....

Blown509Liberator
05-18-2006, 11:05 AM
Man Our just went up from 23.00 to 47.00 here in IL.....for a 3 yr registration :) :)

Beer-30
05-18-2006, 11:16 AM
I need to check on mine. It is AZ 06-06, and I haven't seen a renewal in the mail yet? I am thinking it would have been here by now.

AzMandella
05-18-2006, 11:17 AM
It's not a luxury tax in Az.They just closed the loophole for out of state people registering their boats in Az when they are not Az residents.Even if you have a home on the Az side you are not a resident unless you live in it for 7 months or more.Sorry guys but you are not going to be able to use Az anymore to get off easy for buying your high dollar boats.If you can afford a $300,000 boat that takes $300.00 to fill with gas each trip than you can afford $300.00 each year to register it without whining.

havasurat27
05-18-2006, 02:50 PM
You are not a legal resident, so you don't qualify for the resident rates.
I already know that much!

Havasu_Dreamin
05-18-2006, 02:52 PM
SW
My understanding is that your assumption is true. The other important factor is that the boat must be moored/stored outside of CA and be outside the state on January 1.

havasurat27
05-18-2006, 02:54 PM
It's not a luxury tax in Az.They just closed the loophole for out of state people registering their boats in Az when they are not Az residents.Even if you have a home on the Az side you are not a resident unless you live in it for 7 months or more.Sorry guys but you are not going to be able to use Az anymore to get off easy for buying your high dollar boats.If you can afford a $300,000 boat that takes $300.00 to fill with gas each trip than you can afford $300.00 each year to register it without whining.
I don't think we are whining...simply asking a question. I pay the same taxes as you do in your state by owning a home there I just get frustrated when they raise rates this much without justification along with it. I will obviously pay the fees and eat my cheese! :rollside: :rollside:

Essex502
05-18-2006, 02:55 PM
Were you asleep at the helm when the nice lady from the AZ Dept of Game and Fish came on here last year and warned everyone. There was a limited time offer to extend your registration at the old rates through this year...don't take it personally but the second Gardena rule is" "Snooze you Lose". Sorry bud.

Havasu_Dreamin
05-18-2006, 02:57 PM
They didn't close any loophole that prevents out of state registrations. They just changed the way they calculate the out of state registration.

havasurat27
05-18-2006, 02:57 PM
259 bucks
50k plus boat. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Am i missing something? just pay the fees its part of boat ownership.It probably less than a tank of gas anyways and i am sure that doesnt stop most from boating
A lot of fees are part of boat ownership.......Love it any ways! Maybe next year I will get lucky and Az. will make it an even 1000.00 just so that I enjoy boating even more!

lalhc
05-18-2006, 03:01 PM
I just paid mine - from $127 last year to $297 this year!

Boatcop
05-18-2006, 03:50 PM
I don't think we are whining...simply asking a question. I pay the same taxes as you do in your state by owning a home there I just get frustrated when they raise rates this much without justification along with it. I will obviously pay the fees and eat my cheese! :rollside: :rollside:
I'll say it again.
AZ Game and Fish, County Sheriffs Marine Patrol, Patrol Boats, Rescue Boats, Lake Improvements (ramps, restrooms, camping areas, First Aid Stations, etc), Boating Safety Education, etc. Does not use any property tax or Sales tax funds. Those things are paid entirely through Watercraft Registration, marine fuel taxes, and hunting/fishing license fees. (G & F)
Costs for providing those services are ever increasing and the amount of use our lakes get, and the services demanded by the boating public are also increasing. Registration fees, hunting/fishing license fees, etc. have been the same nearly 20 years.
Yes, you pay property taxes on land and/or homes you own in AZ. That goes to provide services from the County and/or City and other special districts (fire, school, improvement, sewer, etc) No property tax money goes for any boating related services. (except for incorporated cities that must pay the salaries of their boating officers)
Where do you think the money came from to build the improvements at Katherine's landing, Davis Camp, Windsor Beach, Site Six, Contact Point, Take-off point, La Paz Park, etc.
Not from property taxes, but from the people who use them.
Would it be fair for a non-boater property owner to pay for boating or hunting/fishing services?
In order to provide those boating related services, at a level expected by the boating public, the fees had to be raised.
Even as a "resident" my boat registration fees more than doubled. It may not be as much $$$ as a "non-resident", but a 200%+ increase just the same.
But really, in a nut-shell, the reason the legislature passed the new higher out-of-state fees, is that they know that the out-of-staters don't have a say (vote) in the matter.
Just as I would have no right to complain if California jacked the off-road fees so I'd pay more to go to Glamis or Borrego, non-residents have no right to complain about what they pay for the privilege of registering their boat in AZ.

wanna B V
05-18-2006, 04:08 PM
So now that Cal and AZ are close in reg fees, anyone have the hot tip on registering boats in Nevada? Cost , where to go, etc??? Just trying to save a buck so I can pour it into my boats tank!!

JB in so cal
05-18-2006, 04:12 PM
Boatcop always coming in with calm, cold facts :cool: this place isn't used to it, I'm thinkin'

Sleek-Jet
05-18-2006, 04:18 PM
So now that Cal and AZ are close in reg fees, anyone have the hot tip on registering boats in Nevada? Cost , where to go, etc??? Just trying to save a buck so I can pour it into my boats tank!!
I would think that as long as you went to Mead more than half the time you'd be kosher... but I've always been under the impression that a boat is required to be registered where it's used the most (i.e. more than 50% of the time)... you might run into some problems running at Parker or Havasu all the time with NV numbers... especially if you have a Cali drivers liscense/residency...
Then again, maybe not...

Cheap Thrills
05-19-2006, 11:29 PM
$30.00 3 years NC :cool:
C.T. :wink:

shueman
05-19-2006, 11:35 PM
I'll say it again.
AZ Game and Fish, County Sheriffs Marine Patrol, Patrol Boats, Rescue Boats, Lake Improvements (ramps, restrooms, camping areas, First Aid Stations, etc), Boating Safety Education, etc. Does not use any property tax or Sales tax funds. Those things are paid entirely through Watercraft Registration, marine fuel taxes, and hunting/fishing license fees. (G & F)
Costs for providing those services are ever increasing and the amount of use our lakes get, and the services demanded by the boating public are also increasing. Registration fees, hunting/fishing license fees, etc. have been the same nearly 20 years.
Yes, you pay property taxes on land and/or homes you own in AZ. That goes to provide services from the County and/or City and other special districts (fire, school, improvement, sewer, etc) No property tax money goes for any boating related services. (except for incorporated cities that must pay the salaries of their boating officers)
Where do you think the money came from to build the improvements at Katherine's landing, Davis Camp, Windsor Beach, Site Six, Contact Point, Take-off point, La Paz Park, etc.
Not from property taxes, but from the people who use them.
Would it be fair for a non-boater property owner to pay for boating or hunting/fishing services?
In order to provide those boating related services, at a level expected by the boating public, the fees had to be raised.
Even as a "resident" my boat registration fees more than doubled. It may not be as much $$$ as a "non-resident", but a 200%+ increase just the same.
But really, in a nut-shell, the reason the legislature passed the new higher out-of-state fees, is that they know that the out-of-staters don't have a say (vote) in the matter.
Just as I would have no right to complain if California jacked the off-road fees so I'd pay more to go to Glamis or Borrego, non-residents have no right to complain about what they pay for the privilege of registering their boat in AZ.
Registration fees keeps the rec. engines working. Quit the crying and pay up. It will cost ya more to re-paint your regi numbers anyway.... :p

PowellScooter
05-20-2006, 06:26 AM
Its a b.o.a.t Bring Out Another Thousand.... :skull:

JetBoatRich
05-20-2006, 06:32 AM
Its a b.o.a.t Bring Out Another Thousand.... :skull:
yes, the fun part of owning a boat :cool:

Beer-30
05-20-2006, 06:48 AM
And, of course, as soon as I go to check on it, it pops up in the mail.
$292

azgfboatgirl
05-20-2006, 10:10 AM
Were you asleep at the helm when the nice lady from the AZ Dept of Game and Fish came on here last year and warned everyone. There was a limited time offer to extend your registration at the old rates through this year...don't take it personally but the second Gardena rule is" "Snooze you Lose". Sorry bud.
At least someone was paying attention to the WARNING! :)
The calls just keep pouring in on the fee increase too. Can hardly wait till September 2006 passes by. A full year and everyone will finally know what the new fees are. YAY!
Have a GREAT Weekend!! :) :) :)

JetBoatRich
05-20-2006, 10:11 AM
why not register in Nevada :rolleyes:

azgfboatgirl
05-20-2006, 10:14 AM
why not register in Nevada :rolleyes:
Do you boat in Nevada?? LMAO :p

JetBoatRich
05-20-2006, 10:15 AM
My boat spends most of the time on Lake Mohave :cool: the answer is yes :cool:

azgfboatgirl