PDA

View Full Version : Some things ARE better in Texas

MagicMtnDan
05-17-2006, 05:12 PM
Texas may get Texas-size speed limit
SAN ANTONIO - Drivers on two West Texas highways could soon be able to go 80 mph without risking a speeding ticket.
A proposal by the state Department of Transportation seeks to raise the speed limit on Interstates 10 and 20 in West Texas, despite opposition from fuel conservation advocates. The Texas Transportation Commission could take up the proposal next week.
Legislation passed last year allows for higher speeds in 10 West Texas counties, most of which currently have 75 mph speed limits.
Carlos Lopez, director of traffic operations for the transportation department, said a survey of both interstates found that 85 percent of motorists already were driving up to 79 mph.
"If people begin to think that the number on the sign is unreasonable, then they won't respect it," Lopez said. "Just putting up a lower number on the highway isn't going to slow down traffic."
But with gas prices at a premium, some groups said drivers should be encouraged to slow down rather than speed up.

rrrr
05-17-2006, 05:40 PM
But with gas prices at a premium, some groups said drivers should be encouraged to slow down rather than speed up.
And therein is the stupidity about price controls, CAFE standards, etc. My diesel Excursion gets 21 MPG at 65 MPG. On highway trips I drive anywhere from 75 to 100 MPH (West Texas and Eastern NM practically empty roads for you nannys). At 100 MPH the Ex gets 17 MPG.
So after driving four hours at 65 MPG, I have used 12.1 gallons of fuel to go 260 miles. If I drive the same 260 miles going 100 MPH, I use 15.3 gallons of fuel.
That adds up to a whopping 3.2 gallon penalty for the higher speed, or less than 10 bucks. The difference is that it takes me 2 hours and 37 minutes instead of four hours.
This concept is hard to comprehend for anyone that drives on the 91, but 100 MPH is not that big a deal in the desert. Been doing it for forty years. Oh BTW, haven't gotten ANY kind of ticket since 1987, so I'm not careless.
Anyway, efforts to control behavior by price penalties are stupid. The cigarette tax in Texas is going up $1.10 a pack soon. Anyone gonna quit smoking? I doubt it.

lawbreaker2
05-17-2006, 05:45 PM
And therein is the stupidity about price controls, CAFE standards, etc. My diesel Excursion gets 21 MPG at 65 MPG. On highway trips I drive anywhere from 75 to 100 MPH (West Texas and Eastern NM practically empty roads for you nannys). At 100 MPH the Ex gets 17 MPG.
So after driving four hours at 65 MPG, I have used 12.1 gallons of fuel to go 260 miles. If I drive the same 260 miles going 100 MPH, I use 15.3 gallons of fuel.
That adds up to a whopping 3.2 gallon penalty for the higher speed, or less than 10 bucks. The difference is that it takes me 2 hours and 37 minutes instead of four hours.
This concept is hard to comprehend for anyone that drives on the 91, but 100 MPH is not that big a deal in the desert. Been doing it for forty years. Oh BTW, haven't gotten ANY kind of ticket since 1987, so I'm not careless.
Anyway, efforts to control behavior by price penalties are stupid. The cigarette tax in Texas is going up $1.10 a pack soon. Anyone gonna quit smoking? I doubt it.
The ohio state troopers would like to see you at the stateline LOL

Kilrtoy
05-17-2006, 06:12 PM
You just jinx yourself...
Good luck

N2Lake
05-17-2006, 07:11 PM
(West Texas and Eastern NM practically empty roads for you nannys)
What part of Eastern NM and West Texas are you running around?
I think the 80 MPH is a good idea for this part of the country. Let the speed limit fit the roads and traffic.

rrrr
05-17-2006, 07:15 PM
You just jinx yourself...
Good luck
LOL, not sposed to brag....
Just so you guys know, I NEVER pass another car at speed. NEVER make another car hit his brakes or feel uncomfortable.
It's only when me and the road are alone that I crank it. If something happens, I'm the only one that's gonna get hurt.