PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting the trim

NorCalCat
05-17-2006, 08:10 PM
Anyone know how to adjust the trip on a merc xr with a mechanical trim indicator. Just had a mechanical indicator installed and I am not getting enough trim. The drive is not triming out as much as it did before.
Thanks in advance.

JetBoatRich
05-17-2006, 08:32 PM
:rolleyes: sounds like your limit switch needs adjustment

Mrs.Killer
05-17-2006, 08:37 PM
Ask GHT also known as GH-Trim, he knows alot about trim...

phebus
05-17-2006, 08:40 PM
The trim range shouldn't change with the addition of a mechanical trim indicator. It will read different, and 0 isn't necessarily neutral trim. You neeed to trim your boat out of the water to determine what number on the gauge is neutral trim, and use that as a reference to trim up or down from there.

a catered life
05-18-2006, 06:42 AM
not getting enough trim is a big problem :p

NorCalCat
05-18-2006, 08:32 AM
From what I have heard there is a dial on the outdrive that I need to adjusts. If I adjust it to increase the trim higth, will that not allow the drive to come back down to the neutral point?

Havasu Cig
05-18-2006, 08:52 AM
The trim range shouldn't change with the addition of a mechanical trim indicator. It will read different, and 0 isn't necessarily neutral trim. You neeed to trim your boat out of the water to determine what number on the gauge is neutral trim, and use that as a reference to trim up or down from there.
Exactly. The trim indicator has nothing to do with the actual trim of the drive. When I replaced the cables in mine I set a straight edge on the gearcase to determine nuetral trim then adjusted the indicator to 0.

Captain Dan
05-18-2006, 09:01 AM
not getting enough trim is a big problem :p
exactly what I was thinking when I read it !