PDA

View Full Version : Their All Dead..........

a catered life
05-18-2006, 10:00 AM
:crossx: i figured while i do some homework my other half could do a minor water change in the tank........i kept asking her if things were going good and her reply was "everything looks ok to me"...she has done about 2-3 water changes herself and assisted me with 5-6 of them......but i guess she just didnt know what she was doing and needed more training....well it happened she forgot to add the water conditioner and never did a water test and yes most of my babies were floating when i got home yesterday :cry: my beautiful 2 red tail sharks, my 2 bala sharks, my brand new tiger barb and both of my new striped bards as well as a handfull of others dead dead dead :crossx: :220v: ......the only ones to survive were my 2 gold coins and my pelko....about $400-$500 down the drain :cry: i am so pissed..... :mad: to make matters worse i had to listen to the kids ask 5000 questions....... :rolleyes:

MagicMtnDan
05-18-2006, 10:03 AM
That really sucks - sorry to hear about it.
When we used to move my father would flush the fish down the toilet and later would tell me he gave them away... :rolleyes:

MrsSigEpMock
05-18-2006, 10:05 AM
I'm sorry to hear that. Go easy on her, I'm sure she feels bad... :cry:
You should have fish for dinner though if you really want to rub it in!!! :crossx:

WaTchTheGelCoat
05-18-2006, 10:35 AM
Dude, where are you buying fish? They are rippin you off.

H20 Toie
05-18-2006, 10:42 AM
Sorry to hear that, i just got my tank installed on tuesday so no fish yet

hoolign
05-18-2006, 10:48 AM
:crossx: i figured while i do some homework my other half could do a minor water change in the tank........i kept asking her if things were going good and her reply was "everything looks ok to me"...she has done about 2-3 water changes herself and assisted me with 5-6 of them......but i guess she just didnt know what she was doing and needed more training....well it happened she forgot to add the water conditioner and never did a water test and yes most of my babies were floating when i got home yesterday :cry: my beautiful 2 red tail sharks, my 2 bala sharks, my brand new tiger barb and both of my new striped bards as well as a handfull of others dead dead dead :crossx: :220v: ......the only ones to survive were my 2 gold coins and my pelko....about $400-$500 down the drain :cry: i am so pissed..... :mad: to make matters worse i had to listen to the kids ask 5000 questions....... :rolleyes:
Put it right in her bum tonight..thatll teach her :mad: :mad: :mad:

a catered life
05-18-2006, 12:04 PM
Dude, where are you buying fish? They are rippin you off.
its was about 30 fish in total including 2 $75 exotic algae eaters
most of they averaged about $15.00-20 each

Buster
05-18-2006, 12:18 PM
Been there done that ACL... :cry: I have a RO system in my house which I use for top off water only. Since mine is SW I use Catalina water for the changes. F#&k that mixing salt thing and adding chems..
Sorry to hear about your losses..

a catered life
05-18-2006, 12:22 PM
Sorry to hear that, i just got my tank installed on tuesday so no fish yet
what size?
yea buster this sucks but the flip side is now i can go with africians :p

lucky
05-18-2006, 12:26 PM
whats for dinner

WaTchTheGelCoat
05-18-2006, 12:30 PM
its was about 30 fish in total including 2 $75 exotic algae eaters
most of they averaged about $15.00-20 each
Holy shit! How big is your tank? Look at the bright side. This is a good excuse to go to salt, J/K, sorry about your fish mang!

a catered life
05-18-2006, 12:35 PM
Holy shit! How big is your tank? Look at the bright side. This is a good excuse to go to salt, J/K, sorry about your fish mang!
150 gallon
i wanted to do the fresh for a year and move to salt after this but from this example i may need to stay fresh for 2 years :cry:

H20 Toie
05-18-2006, 12:53 PM
what size?
135 salt

NOCTURNAL
05-18-2006, 12:58 PM
They're is the contraction for "they are". They are all dead.
My tip of the day! Thanks.

Tom Brown
05-18-2006, 12:59 PM
Put it right in her bum tonight..thatll teach her :mad: :mad: :mad:
Doesn't this post violate the conditions of your parole?

MR HARLEY
05-18-2006, 01:17 PM
Do you cycle your tank first before fish were introduced?
How big of a tank?
How long has it been running?
What did you set-up with ? any Bacteria?

Mrs.Racer277
05-18-2006, 01:40 PM
Ooops. Sorry hun for your lose. I am sure Cas feels terrible. Accidents happen. :)

hoolign
05-18-2006, 01:58 PM
Doesn't this post violate the conditions of your parole?
No ..paid off the judge with a rexmarine catalouge and 2 pics of Topless

SmokinLowriderSS
05-18-2006, 03:05 PM
You got a Rexmarine catologue!?!?!?!??? :cry: :cry: :cry:

JetBoatRich
05-18-2006, 05:21 PM
That sucks Willie :mad: they were not even big enough to eat yet :rolleyes:

LUVNLIFE
05-18-2006, 05:58 PM
what size?
Well if you know Willie like I do this here is just funny to me. :D :D :D

a catered life
05-18-2006, 06:58 PM
Do you cycle your tank first before fish were introduced? yes
How big of a tank? 150
How long has it been running? turned on filters feb 1
What did you set-up with ? dont understand this quesion
any Bacteria? no bacteria
:p

a catered life
05-18-2006, 07:02 PM
Well if you know Willie like I do this here is just funny to me. :D :D :D
cale you got it :notam: ;)

MR HARLEY
05-18-2006, 08:03 PM
:p
What did you use to cycle your tank?
How long did you allow the cycle process to take affect.
and
How long was tank running before fish were introduced :)

cxr133
05-18-2006, 08:11 PM
Sorry about your loss...
i have had my system running for about a month now w/ no dead livestock (knock on wood)my setup (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cxr133/album?.dir=/4fa7scd&.src=ph&.tok=phW3S4EB6o5zEdrs)

GRUNION
05-18-2006, 09:14 PM
Sorry about your loss...
i have had my system running for about a month now w/ no dead livestock (knock on wood)my setup (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cxr133/album?.dir=/4fa7scd&.src=ph&.tok=phW3S4EB6o5zEdrs)
Your setup looks great.

a catered life
05-19-2006, 07:06 AM
What did you use to cycle your tank? i got one of the awesome thingys (gravel cleaner) that hooks up to the faucet and works off off perssure when you drain how much you want you reverse the flow with a little switch and refill the tank....its no mess and fast on my 150 tank i can do a 30% water change refill add conditioner and do two test in about 20 minutes
How long did you allow the cycle process to take affect. instantly....at first i was feeding them to much so i was high on ammonina did a water change changed filter and next day perfect
and
How long was tank running before fish were introduced :) i ran mine for one week but you can start sooner...i just waited because i was waiting for two types of fish in be deliverd
are you setting up a new tank?

a catered life
05-19-2006, 07:09 AM
Your setup looks great.
thanks......thats good you have no dead ones yet.........i thought i was setting up a community tank but got two guys that considered themselves the daddy and mommy (one of my red tails and a panda bar) of the tank started screwing with all the other fish..i had to put some bigger fish in to keep them under control

pm069
05-19-2006, 07:24 AM
ACL: Very sorry to hear about the losses. I hate it when that happens! :frown: They can really be a pain to deal with (river trips and such), but the enjoyment you get from them is great. When my "chopper" goes I'll be thinking about going salt (they're so much prettier). My feeders die on a regular basis...lol :eat: , but when the babies die it just plain sucks. You have a great set-up so don't bail on the program. Go and find some newbies and introduce them yo the existing members. Good Luck Hun. :wink:

Kachina26
05-19-2006, 07:28 AM
Their = belonging to 2 or more people i.e. that is their boat.
There = location i.e. the boat is over there
They're = They are i.e. They are all dead
Make a note of it, and keep the recipies coming ;)

a catered life
05-19-2006, 07:31 AM
ACL: Very sorry to hear about the losses. I hate it when that happens! :frown: They can really be a pain to deal with (river trips and such), but the enjoyment you get from them is great. When my "chopper" goes I'll be thinking about going salt (they're so much prettier). My feeders die on a regular basis...lol :eat: , but when the babies die it just plain sucks. You have a great set-up so don't bail on the program. Go and find some newbies and introduce them yo the existing members. Good Luck Hun. :wink:
thanks bro i was real lucky on the long trips my neighbors love to feed them so we just give them the key and go... and yea your right salt are much prettier...thank god i had a fresh water this time cause the price would have been tripled :cry: if it was salt

C-2
05-19-2006, 07:44 AM
Sounds like a lot of water changes for freshwater.
Where did the water come from?
Sorry for the bad news but you're right - chalk it up to experience before graduating to salt.
As much as we all love to fiddle with our tanks, the truth is, the less body to water contact, the better. Tuff to do cuz ya gotta get that one rock jus right, or something fell over, but use those big arse tongs, keep your hands out of the water. Your fishies will appreciate it.
You try any live plants yet? Those are also good practice before going to a reef/salt.

Kachina26
05-19-2006, 07:56 AM
ya know, the funny thing is, once I just started to ignore the fish tank, the better it did. I seriously can't tell you the last time I messed with the PH or did anything other than change the filter. Weird man, just weird.

MR HARLEY
05-19-2006, 01:02 PM
are you setting up a new tank?
No, I actually have a fish room in my house that consists of
(2) 135 gallons, 210 gallon and a 100 gallon.
i got one of the awesome thingys (gravel cleaner) that hooks up to the faucet and works off off perssure when you drain how much you want you reverse the flow with a little switch and refill the tank....its no mess and fast on my 150 tank i can do a 30% water change refill add conditioner and do two test in about 20 minutes
This thingy you are reffering to is called a "python" it is used for water change. It has nothing to do with cycling.
Cycling consists of this
"Cycling" your marine aquarium basically means growing beneficial bacteria in the filter before you add any fish. When the tank is cycled, the filter can remove fish wastes. If the tank is not cycled, the fish will be forced to swim in their own waste products. This, in turn, will cause them to become sick, and perhaps to die. So cycling properly is very important.
There are a couple different ways one can cycle thier tank, These 2 have worked best for me for the last 5 years of my hobby.
1. Purchase a product called Bio-spira from your LFS. It is live bacteria you can buy to cycle your tank properly. This type of cycle takes about 1 week
2. Introduce ammonia into your tank and watch levels, once levels have all hit zero(nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia) Ph 7.0 you are ready. This type of cycle takes about 30 days, which is also known as the fishless cycle.
(How long did you allow the cycle process to take affect).
Your answer:
instantly....at first i was feeding them to much so i was high on ammonina did a water change changed filter and next day perfect
A cycle never took place :frown:Also changing your filter removes all if not most of your bacteria you have built up.
i ran mine for one week but you can start sooner...i just waited because i was waiting for two types of fish in be deliverd
Only one week :eek:
If your tank was cycled properly, even with a "minor" waterchange as you say, the bacteria in your tank would have kept those fish alive.
Alot of hobbyists I know do not use water conditoner upon water change and have no problems, because thier tanks were set-up right from the get go.
I myself personally always use conditoner when doing water change.
Just a big fishgeek over here trying to help. :) Also please let me know in what direction you want to go with in your hobby and I can help you get your fish for alot cheeper than what you paid for.
P.S. Im very sorry for your loss also.

FORMER RAIDERETTE MRS ELIMINATED SPRINTER
05-19-2006, 01:38 PM
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: WTF you need a drink

MR HARLEY
05-19-2006, 01:45 PM
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: WTF you need a drink
So do you :D