PDA

View Full Version : How to properly trim a rose bush?

Wizard29
05-18-2006, 06:36 PM
Yeah, call me gay, but I need to know the correct way to trim a rose bush. I have four of them in my back yard and they are going nuts. Anybody know?

phebus
05-18-2006, 06:37 PM
Gay :)

HammerDown
05-18-2006, 06:37 PM
Super gay...but my rhododendrons look spiffy this Spring. :rollside:

CMATT21
05-18-2006, 06:39 PM
I can't believe you have posts and the "Havasu Dreaming" does not. What is up?????????????????????????????????????????

JetBoatRich
05-18-2006, 06:39 PM
Very Careful :rolleyes: and watch the thorns :boxed:

Playbuoy
05-18-2006, 06:40 PM
Dude, what's Ryan Seacrest doing on these boards?

mike37
05-18-2006, 06:41 PM
do your self a favor and dig them up and toss them in the trash

a catered life
05-18-2006, 06:42 PM
Very Careful :rolleyes: and watch the thorns :boxed:
he asked about roses not the chick rose :p

thumbs
05-18-2006, 06:48 PM
do your self a favor and dig them up and toss them in the trash
I agree. I just dug some up from the front of my house and the dam roots are so friggen long I cant believe it. Roots run under the house and they keep growing back.

JB in so cal
05-18-2006, 06:49 PM
from the ground up,you can trim just ABOVE any sprout with 5 leaves,the farther up ,the bigger the bush,water in the morn/late ev,don't water the leaves,water the base :cool:
"...the hilllsssss are alive with the sound of muuuuuuusic!" :p

phebus
05-18-2006, 06:56 PM
This thread needs to be moved over to the Riverroyal thread. It would be good for at least ten more pages there :)

Sleek-Jet
05-18-2006, 07:03 PM
The reason roses are considered the flower of love and affection is because the budding rose flower looks like a woman's vagina and labia... if you think those two things are gay, I guess there is no hope... :idea:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-18-2006, 07:11 PM
Just hack 'em. It's really late in the year for pruning roses but it won't kill them. You can't kill them. I've tried :D
I used to be very careful about which branches to cut, how to cut them and where to cut them (just above a bud on the stem), and it took me all weekend to prune the 25 bushes that I had. Then one year, I got impatient and just hacked them down to about 18" from the ground and most of the branches (I left 2-3 branches on each main stem). I wasn't careful about the angle of the cut, or where I was cutting. That year, they looked better than they ever had before. Over the last few years, I've been (correction, Jeff's been) slowly digging them up and replanting with daylilies or lily of the niles and african irises. Less maintenance and still green all year.
But seriously, cut them to nubs. They'll be fine and happier. Just make sure you are fertilizing them regularly to ward of disease.

FMluvswater
05-18-2006, 07:22 PM
Super gay...but my rhododendrons look spiffy this Spring. :rollside:
Thank-you HammerDown! You just made my day. :smile: LMFAO@spiffy! (I'm so grouchy I didn't think that was possible :wink: )
Your http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/FMluvswaterbabe/HDforever.gif forever,
~FM :mad: <--it's not about you or anyone here, it's just how I feel

YeLLowBoaT
05-18-2006, 07:27 PM
TOO THE GROUND. I hate rose bushes... gd ppl like to plant( as well as other bushes with stickers) right up next to a house... I have many a scar form them.

2Driver
05-18-2006, 07:48 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3347FAB0625-260b.jpg

bchbum
05-18-2006, 07:58 PM
As my girls get older , I plan on planting them under their windows . Let them grow tall & wide . :crossx: :crossx:

little rowe boat
05-18-2006, 08:22 PM
I have 68 rose bushes around my house, every january and february we cut them down to stumps. Right now they are in full bloom.

Ziggy
05-18-2006, 08:27 PM
As my girls get older , I plan on planting them under their windows . Let them grow tall & wide . :crossx: :crossx:
Good theft deterant too :)

uvindex
05-18-2006, 08:31 PM
Yeah, call me gay, but I need to know the correct way to trim a rose bush. I have four of them in my back yard and they are going nuts. Anybody know?I don't know. I do know that ***boat.com is not the first place one should think of when looking for info on pruning rose bushes :). Typing "how prune rose bush" in Google, however, gets you lots of links to actual sites with actual info.
Here are three that look like they might be useful:
http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/publications/roses/prune.html
http://www.my-garden-supplies.com/garden_tips_folder/roses_care_and_pruning.htm
http://www.humeseeds.com/prunrose.htm
Good luck!

ghittner
05-18-2006, 08:32 PM
The only rose bush I'll consider needs no trimmin bro! It's hairless!

Wizard29
05-18-2006, 08:37 PM
LOL...some of you fockers never take anything seriously. :) Had to laugh my ass off at the Ryan Seacrest comment. Ouch, low blow.
Thanks for the good advice to those of you who gave it. ***boat is where I can always come to find information on just about anything.
Now if you'll all excuse me, Martha and I are going to get a head start on our Christmas wreaths...

Flying Tiger
05-18-2006, 08:40 PM
Ya go down the main branch ya want to prune to a Five leaf stem,, and prune just above.
Preferably a five leaf stem that is growing outboard, and the lowest 5 leaf stem on the branch ys want to prune.
No cheating,, 5 leaf stem, an inch above, no more no less.
Don't be bashful about eliminating some main stems entirely,, just to thin the whole bush out.
Do this and the results will be ass kickin Florabunda or Teacup roses.
In January ya cut the whole bush to the bone. Don't fake it,, cut it down to nothing.
If any stem you cut is bigger dia than a pencil,, then ya might want to put a bit of Henrys roof sealer or equiv. on the cut tip to seal it. But ya don't have to.
Put a handfull of fertilizer at the base of the bush, then again sometimes when it goes through a super bloom.

Playbuoy
05-18-2006, 09:45 PM
LOL...some of you fockers never take anything seriously. :) Had to laugh my ass off at the Ryan Seacrest comment. Ouch, low blow.
Thanks for the good advice to those of you who gave it. ***boat is where I can always come to find information on just about anything.
Now if you'll all excuse me, Martha and I are going to get a head start on our Christmas wreaths...
All in good fun ;)

acatitude
05-18-2006, 09:56 PM
and dont trim them straight across...... cut stems at an angle

ROZ
05-18-2006, 11:21 PM
and dont trim them straight across...... cut stems at an angle
Yup, and peel the 5 leafed stem as well
If they get a fungus, just burn them.. :D

ovrkll77
05-19-2006, 12:26 AM
Yup, and peel the 5 leafed stem as well