PDA

View Full Version : CSI - Have you ever wondered?

dirty old man
05-19-2006, 07:17 AM
Someone below is talking about CSI and it brings up a question. Two of the shows, Las Vegas and Miami, the two sunniest cities in the country, the CSI's always use flashlights; they never turn on a light. No matter what kind of building they are in, there is never any light. Even in large commercial buildings, there is never any light, and they discover everything with those little, woosie flashlights. I know in LA cops can't even carry a flashlight anymore for fear of striking a criminal. No big deal, just bugs me

Beer-30
05-19-2006, 07:33 AM
I heard them say in one episode, early on, that they want to see how the evidence looks - as is. However the scene occured, that's how they want to initially view it.

MrsSigEpMock
05-19-2006, 07:40 AM
I heard them say in one episode, early on, that they want to see how the evidence looks - as is. However the scene occured, that's how they want to initially view it.
How do they know the lights weren't on when the crime was commited? :confused:

Beer-30
05-19-2006, 07:43 AM
That one I don't know. :) I guess we'd have to ask the director or the script writer.

sleekcraft137
05-19-2006, 01:56 PM
Someone below is talking about CSI and it brings up a question. Two of the shows, Las Vegas and Miami, the two sunniest cities in the country, the CSI's always use flashlights; they never turn on a light. No matter what kind of building they are in, there is never any light. Even in large commercial buildings, there is never any light, and they discover everything with those little, woosie flashlights. I know in LA cops can't even carry a flashlight anymore for fear of striking a criminal. No big deal, just bugs me
That drives me nuts too.

riverroyal
05-19-2006, 02:21 PM
I was watching the show,and I thought,you know what Im gonna ask this question on HB tommorrow...Beat me to it

buzzaro
05-19-2006, 02:46 PM
. I know in LA cops can't even carry a flashlight anymore for fear of striking a criminal.
Maybe I am naive, but dont cops carry nightsticks to strike criminals and guns to shoot them?

MrsSigEpMock
05-19-2006, 02:50 PM
Maybe I am naive, but dont cops carry nightsticks to strike criminals and guns to shoot them?
Flashlights are a 1 stone, two birds. This way they can see the mofo as they beat the crap out off 'em.

boater012
05-19-2006, 02:51 PM
My girlfriedn bought the entire 4 or 5 seasons on dvd so for the past week we have csi night every night. we arent even throguh season on yet. We were talking about that last night while we were watching it. hmmmmm I wonder????? :confused:

Panic Button
05-19-2006, 02:58 PM
and they discover everything with those little, woosie flashlights.
Those are SureFire flashlights, they are one of the brights lights made, 65 to 200 lumens.
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/pgrfnbr/525/sesent/00

Boatcop
05-19-2006, 03:20 PM
Direct light, rather than ambiant light, focuses your attention on what's in the light beam, instead or relying on a visual "scan" of the area.
Try this at home.
Close your eyes and drop a small earring or small screw on the carpet, and then try and find it with just background light. Then get a flashlight and go over the area systematically again.
You're more likely to find it with the flashlight, than just with the background light.

FMluvswater
05-19-2006, 03:33 PM
I was thinking the same thing during last nights episode wondering why they never turn on the lights instead of using them little flashlights ... what Boatcop says though, makes sense to me. :idea:

dicudmore
05-19-2006, 04:16 PM
Flashlights are a 1 stone, two birds. This way they can see the mofo as they beat the crap out off 'em.
dammit Carrie...lol iced tea on the monitor this time

HocusPocus
05-19-2006, 04:27 PM
the wife and i enjoy the show.. but always wonder the same thing.. i was also wondering, these guys on the show always have some very high tech stuff so how much of this is really used in actual police depts?

CA Stu
05-19-2006, 06:12 PM
I was wondering why there is always The Who cranking in the background?
"Look! A dead guy, and some crap all over the place! Let's get out our flashlights and crank "Baba O'Riley"!"
Thanks
CA Stu

JetBoatRich
05-19-2006, 06:12 PM
Now that you mention it :idea: your right :rolleyes:
why in movies do they usually have wet streets :rolleyes: