PDA

View Full Version : What Happened to the Runoff?

burtandnancy
05-19-2006, 11:03 AM
Just checked lake levels for Powell and Mead, and they're not getting any better. What happened to the snow melt. For a few weeks there Powell was coming up about a foot a week (but Mead was still dropping). Where is all the water going, down the Colorado to Mexico?

Outnumbered
05-19-2006, 11:10 AM
Just checked lake levels for Powell and Mead, and they're not getting any better. What happened to the snow melt. For a few weeks there Powell was coming up about a foot a week (but Mead was still dropping). Where is all the water going, down the Colorado to Mexico?
That is what I was wondering last weekend. We noticed several new hazards in some of the coves we like on the north end of the lake (Mead). Not looking good to say the least. :cry:

Outnumbered
05-19-2006, 11:11 AM
Here is a great link with some interesting statistical data....
http://www.usbr.gov/lc/region/g4000/hourly/mead-elv.html

burtandnancy
05-19-2006, 11:21 AM
We bought a graph of this chart and hung it in our house. We were there in Jul '83 at 1225 and also Jul '04 at 1125 so we've seen hi's and lo's. Its -94 now which makes Hemminway impossible to launch at and crowds up Lake Mead Marina...

slcbaker
05-19-2006, 12:38 PM
Last weekend went up to Snowbird and rode from top to bottom. Only saw a few bare spots along the way. the snow back is still un melted at the higher elevations, but 90 + weather all week did do some melting.

Dusty Times
05-19-2006, 01:38 PM
This SUCKS!
I haven't been to Mead yet this year. I always go to Mead from Memorial to Labor Day.
Been going to Havi. And now I'm going to miss the nice launching :cry:

burtandnancy
05-19-2006, 01:58 PM
Thanks T & B, lets hope to see the canyons running full. In case any of you want to watch the lake levels yourself, here is where I look:
www.gf.state.az.us/h_f/edits/lake_levels.shtml Others have simpler address.
My personal opinion is that Hemminway is unlaunchable around the -90 foot level but that depends on the boat and the experience of the owner. I've seen guys (inexperienced) back in deep enough to have water pour in thru the drivers window!
There is so much parking at all the ramps someone should run shuttles...

cc322
05-19-2006, 06:27 PM
It's still early

2Driver
05-20-2006, 04:16 PM
Welcome to the Snowpack above Lake Powell Database
It is 05:55:21 pm MDT at Lake Powell, Utah on Saturday, May 20th, 2006.
Today is day 232 of 365 for the Water Year 2006. We are 64% through the Water Year.
Snowpack above Lake Powell is 52.26% of the May 17th average.
http://snowpackdb.lakepowell.water-data.com/LP_Snowpack.html

burtandnancy
05-21-2006, 09:10 AM
T & B. Theres no one more positive about Powell and Mead than you and I. My first boating on Powell was in the mid 60's when it was still filling and I was also there in '83 when it flowed over the top of Glen Canyon Dam. That year you could boat into canyons never seen by humans before or since. Same experience at Mead only longer. So, I've seen the high's and low's for many years. But to the people who come on here and say the water will come up 50 - 70 feet in one year, well thats a little optomistic. It didn't drop to 50% of full pond in one season and won't come back based on just one good snow pack. The good news is boating is always good at Mead and Powell, its just a little different every year. Thats the enjoyment of two of the finest man man lakes of all time...

Flying Tiger
05-21-2006, 09:12 AM
30 mill in for every 10 mill out according to the LADWP daily records.
Rumor was BLM was keeping the water level low inspite of the runoff beccause of a terrorist threat on the dam,, but Boatcop, sometime back, said nahh,,,

Outnumbered
05-21-2006, 09:08 PM
30 mill in for every 10 mill out according to the LADWP daily records.
Rumor was BLM was keeping the water level low inspite of the runoff beccause of a terrorist threat on the dam,, but Boatcop, sometime back, said nahh,,,
Hmmm? I googled that and found this interesting read:
http://www.thinkandask.com/news/hooverdam.html
Not directly related to anything recent but still interesting.

burtandnancy
05-22-2006, 09:30 AM
We still get checked for terrorism every time we cross the dam, either way...