PDA

View Full Version : headlight assembly for boat

axkiker
05-19-2006, 11:31 AM
Hey I was noticing that the baja 302 has a type of resessed headlight assembly in the front. I do alot of night crusing and this would be great but my boat was not made with one. It looks like its nothing more than a hole cut on each side of the front with an insert. Do they make an aftermarket kit like this or is there more to it than what i know.
thanks

Boatcop
05-19-2006, 11:58 AM
Hey I was noticing that the baja 302 has a type of resessed headlight assembly in the front. I do alot of night crusing and this would be great but my boat was not made with one. It looks like its nothing more than a hole cut on each side of the front with an insert. Do they make an aftermarket kit like this or is there more to it than what i know.
thanks
Those are docking lights, used to illuminate the dock or shoreline when mooring. They cannot be used for underway navigation, as they wash out the red/green running lights and can ruin the night vision of on-coming boat operators.
Night time navigation relies on night vision, and the navigation lights show the type and length a vessel is and the direction it's heading.
If the area is so dark that you need secondary lights, such as spot lights or docking lights, to navigate safely, then the best bet is to slow down.
The use of spot lights or docking lights while underway is illegal, except if the spotlight is used to illuminate a hazard to warn other boaters.

Outnumbered
05-19-2006, 12:07 PM
You would have no help from docking lights underway as BC said. Even a million CP spot does not help as much as you may think out on a dark lake at night. Maybe spend the money on some surplus night vision goggles?

Outnumbered
05-19-2006, 12:14 PM
These look cool:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Night-Vision-Goggles-Seben-Commando-Infrared-New_W0QQitemZ6058007842QQcategoryZ20589QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem