PDA

View Full Version : Snow Birds

THE WIDGE
05-19-2006, 11:33 AM
I'm interested in renting my place in the winter to snow birds, but I have a few questions.
1. Good or bad experiences?? I heard snow birds are pretty clean.
2. Have you used property management companies to look for future clients,and if so which company.
3. What percent do they charge.
4. Are there other ways to advertise for snow birds, and get away from property management?
5. And lastly, what months do you normaly rent to snow birds?
Any information would me much appreciated, I'm not sure if I should start this prosess now, or wait till the end and scrambling looking for someone.
Thanks!

Havasu1986
05-19-2006, 11:46 AM
I'm interested in renting my place in the winter to snow birds, but I have a few questions.
1. Good or bad experiences?? I heard snow birds are pretty clean.
2. Have you used property management companies to look for future clients,and if so which company.
3. What percent do they charge.
4. Are there other ways to advertise for snow birds, and get away from property management?
5. And lastly, what months do you normaly rent to snow birds?
Any information would me much appreciated, I'm not sure if I should start this prosess now, or wait till the end and scrambling looking for someone.
Thanks!I have rented my house out for the past 20 years and have never had any problems. I go thru Coldwell Banker and they charge 12%. I rent mine out from NoV 1 thru April 31. I could get more money but I would get less months. I've had the same single guy for the last 6 years. I use a rental company because if anything goes wrong I don't have to drive 300 miles. Also its been a great write off.

Sleek316
05-19-2006, 12:00 PM
I have generally high regard for the SB's. I have rented my place for 3 months a year Jan through March 31st via the Internet Site Rentalo.com I have had only good storys to tell.
I am looking for a Property Manager to help me add some months.

lalhc
05-19-2006, 12:55 PM
I rented my house this past winter w/no problems at all. I used Havasu Vacation Rentals ( 800-279-4712). They charge a 15% commission but I was still netting out more than I could on my own.

Havasu1986
05-19-2006, 12:59 PM
I rented my house this past winter w/no problems at all. I used Havasu Vacation Rentals ( 800-279-4712). They charge a 15% commission but I was still netting out more than I could on my own.Does HVR give you a W2 for the added income

lawbreaker2
05-19-2006, 01:02 PM
Hey I have a name you know. :D

lalhc
05-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Yes, they do provide w-2's.

NeedlesNut
05-19-2006, 03:41 PM
There is a website called VRBO - vacation rentals by owner, and currently have my property on their. I then use a local person to assist in keeping an eye out on it and only pay her 10%. Most snowbirds are reliable and if happy with your home will continue to return.

Ziggy
05-19-2006, 05:05 PM
There is a website called VRBO - vacation rentals by owner, and currently have my property on their. I then use a local person to assist in keeping an eye out on it and only pay her 10%. Most snowbirds are reliable and if happy with your home will continue to return.
Thats the site we use. VRBO.com
Have had people in the last two years with absolutely no issues.
Already booked for next year as well.
Typical months have been anywhere from Nov. thru April.

cc322
05-19-2006, 06:24 PM
When we bought our condo it came with the snowbirds, we rent them our 2bdrm 1ba condo for 950.00 a month, we could get a little more but they have been staying there 6 years and we have owned it for three, and they are very good peeps. We do not use a PM. If you dont want to got through a prop mgmt try listing it in the Whitesheet I hear it gives good results. My snowbirds stay 4 months Not sure if you own a condo or house but we hear the birds like condos because of all the other snowbirds in the same location.

THE WIDGE
05-19-2006, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the info. I heard snowbirds are great, and nearly no problems. I was hoping I could find someonw without a property manager and continue each year for the months of Nov-March or April. House is only three years old, and I have not had any problems.

lalhc
05-19-2006, 08:33 PM
You should have know problems renting w/out a PM. I went w/a PM to eliminate all the little phone calls about how to operate the DVD, if they accidentally changed the satellite remote button, and anything else that could go wrong w/the house. My PM takes care of all of that for me. They just send me a check every month.

Sun burners
05-19-2006, 08:48 PM
The snowbird at our place was there for 5 months, and plans to be back.
Makes for A BETTER SUMMER!
The cheaper the rent the longer they seem to stay.