PDA

View Full Version : How long to build a boat?

Hotcobra270
05-19-2006, 02:28 PM
Hey Guys, just wondering how long you waited for your new boat to be completely built?
I put my money down on a new 27 footer at the L.A boat show (Feb 9th)
and I still havent received my boat.. I was supposed to get it by the beinging
of May and all Ive been getting from the builder is empy promises on how they are going to have it done next week. Well Memorial day weekend is coming and still no boat!
I really wanted to take my new boat to a small local lake so I can get some practice in BEFORE I take it to havasu on a big weekend since my previous boat was a 19 foot reinell.
I'm getting really frustrated here..
Do you guys have any suggestions?
I dont want to say who the builder is since I'm hoping they will still come through for me at the end
thanks

BajaMike
05-19-2006, 02:30 PM
Who is the manufacturer....Ultra just quoted me 6 weeks to build a boat.
:confused:
It's been what.....over 3 months???
:idea:

Phat Matt
05-19-2006, 02:31 PM
My guess would be Cobra. :p

dicudmore
05-19-2006, 02:32 PM
boat show was in January Mike ;)

DILLIGAF
05-19-2006, 02:32 PM
Shit....I have mine delivered today from Shockwave and I ordered it well after the boat show. Of course if you ordered a Howard or DCB I think it takes a lot longer because they have so many backorders to fill.
Is it Advantage?

dicudmore
05-19-2006, 02:33 PM
I got that impression too for some reason :idea: :p

DILLIGAF
05-19-2006, 02:33 PM
boat show was in January Mike ;)
He deals with bits and bytes...give him a break Dan....lol

BajaMike
05-19-2006, 02:35 PM
Ok, I'll open my eyes and engage my brain.... :idea:
Maybe a Cobra 270:confused:
:cool:

dicudmore
05-19-2006, 02:37 PM
Hey Guys, just wondering how long you waited for your new boat to be completely built?
of May and all Ive been getting from the builder is empy promises on how they are going to have it done next week. Well Memorial day weekend is coming and still no boat!
I really wanted to take my new boat to a small local lake so I can get some practice in BEFORE I take it to havasu on a big weekend since my previous boat was a 19 foot reinell.
I dont want to say who the builder is since I'm hoping they will still come through for me at the end
thanks
my last boat (04 Cheetah) was ordered beginning of Jan 04, took delivery first weekend in April 04.
current Ultra was ordered mid-October as a "No Rush" winter build with John and the guys and gals at Ultra Boats. They actually started on the boat the first week in December, was rigged before Christmas, upholstery etc mid Jan and was water tested before the LA show. I took delivery the first weekend of March.

laveydayz
Ordered at the end of Feb last year and took delivery in the middle of May. Just be patient as most mfg do not deliver exactly when they say. Usually is a week or two later or more.

dicudmore
He deals with bits and bytes...give him a break Dan....lol
no prob on the break giving...just being a smart-azz

dicudmore
05-19-2006, 02:39 PM
thanks
The main thing, esp with a custom boat is that it is perfect when you take delivery. If our assumptions are correct on what you're waiting for I think you'll be happy with the results when they do get it wrapped up for you. Although not my personal choice of builder, I have nothing but praise for their boats :cool:

voodoomedman
05-19-2006, 02:41 PM
I would guess he ordered a Cobra too for some reason...........
I was quoted 8-10 weeks from Ultra when I bought my boat. It took 10 weeks and John juggled some stuff to get it to me in time but it was 10 weeks and this was during busy season.
Calling SnakeWrench, what's the dealio?????????

BajaMike
05-19-2006, 02:42 PM
The main thing, esp with a custom boat is that it is perfect when you take delivery. If our assumptions are correct on what you're waiting for I think you'll be happy with the results when they do get it wrapped up for you. Although not my personal choice of builder, I have nothing but praise for their boats :cool:
I like Cobra too.....I don't think you want to rush them....Like Tom's doing... :cry:
:)
Just kidding Tom....LOL.

MR HARLEY
05-19-2006, 02:44 PM
Our boat was ordered in the middle of September05, also a "No Rush Winter Build". Build started early November05. We took ownership 5 days after the L.A.Boat Show, Feb06.
Sorry about your build, hope everything works out for you. :)
Welcome aboard!

MrsSigEpMock
05-19-2006, 02:45 PM
When we ordered our first Ultra they said it would take 6-8 weeks, we took delivery in 5 weeks in July. :rollside: Also, we were quoted 6-8 weeks a couple weeks ago again from Ultra, which would put us in July again.
Cobra is putting out a lot of boats this year it seems. Maybe ask for some pics, or an exact status to ease your mind (or not). Hopefully if you financed, you are not making payments yet. If so, you may want to remind them that you are paying for a boat you have yet to receive, which means they have been paid 100% for a boat they have not delivered!
Good Luck & Congrats on the new ride!!!

DILLIGAF
05-19-2006, 02:46 PM
I like Cobra too.....I don't think you want to rush them....Like Tom's doing... :cry:
:)
Just kidding Tom....LOL.
I know you are but the mold was opening up real soon so my timing was just about perfect. Right now you wouldn't be able to get it built as fast as mine was.
Timing is everything as far as I am concerned.

Ultra5150
05-19-2006, 02:51 PM
I ordered my Ultra at the boat show with the hopes of having it for Memorial Day. There was a problem that took me into Father's day. John and Steve were communicating everything to me and I was pretty cool with it.
Just be patient, the lake is not going anywhere. I know it's easier said than done, but I know what it feels like to be waiting your new boat.
Think of it this way, do you really want them to rush it???
p.s. the last thing I would do is go on a website to voice my frustrations about the guy who is still currently building my boat. Just my 2 cents.

voodoomedman
05-19-2006, 02:58 PM
I kind of also depends on who quotes you the time. If some salesmen just says 8-10 weeks maybe he thinks that or it is what he usually sees but.......
There is usually only one mold for each hull and there may be a few orders of that hull ahead of yours and then from that point it takes so many weeks.
With that said 3 and a half months seems kinda long to go over. I mean if they are going to have it any day now then fine but if it takes another month or something it seems kinda long to me. My other concern is if they are just telling you anyday now and not giving you any info. When mine was being built Guy in Rigging at Ultra let me know exactly what was happening to the boat and how long things took but never once overpromised me, just gave me updates.

me4drvr
05-19-2006, 03:08 PM
Ordered mine on October 10 (LBC show), took delivery Feb 1.. main delay was in designing the graphics (my own dam fault). But the boat came out flawless and runs like a champ

Throttle
05-19-2006, 03:38 PM
Lets see... user name hotcobra270, and date registered last week...
before any negative marks get made here directed to any builders, there are a few things you should simply follow up with by calling the builder.
what have you been told about the exact status of the boat?
things go pretty fast near the end...

HM
05-19-2006, 03:41 PM
before any negative marks get made here directed to any builders, there are a few things you should simply follow up with by calling the builder.
I hear Cobra is so fast that at the end that they go backwards in time and actually deliver in 3 months or less. Excellent!

voodoomedman
05-19-2006, 03:43 PM
No negative remarks so far. Even from us Ultra guys. We shared our stories and his time doesn't seem out of line for a build in the busy part of building season unless it is going to take an extra month or longer. He should call and talk to Jay or maybe Jay will come on here and set things straight.

Throttle
05-19-2006, 03:55 PM
No negative remarks so far. Even from us Ultra guys. We shared our stories and his time doesn't seem out of line for a build in the busy part of building season unless it is going to take an extra month or longer. He should call and talk to Jay or maybe Jay will come on here and set things straight.
yep, cuz I am confident that it will be done when promised. Mine always have been.

dicudmore
05-19-2006, 04:04 PM
last week? 4-12? Cameron put the Jack bottle down a sec there bud :D
although he is a fockin newbie :wink:

Throttle
05-19-2006, 04:07 PM
last week? 4-12? Cameron put the Jack bottle down a sec there bud :D
although he is a fockin newbie :wink:
I was was speeding again, right into next week bro... lol!
did someone say Jack outloud? shhhhhhh! :rollside:

jbtrailerjim
05-19-2006, 04:08 PM
Your build time seems a little long but it all depends on their back log of boats. If they promised it to you around the beginning of May, they are not too far off as long as you get it within the next week.
Call them up and tell them you would like a straight answer when your boat will be done. You're spending a lot of money and deserve an honest answer from the builder.

ChumpChange
Lets play the "Protect the Builder" game that is always played on ***boat. This may get good as it's Cobra that is being talked about. Throttle AWAY!!!!!

SnakeWrench
Thank you Voodoo for that inspiring introduction. lol
Here is the deal. This client did leave a deposit at the L.A. Boatshow. So far this client has been in constant contact with Cobra and has in fact been in to see the progress several times of late.
The boat has not been paid for because we do not have the client sign docs until the boat is ready for delivery, so no payments have been made.
We do apreciate our clients patience, it is just that we had a very busy boat show. Per our last conversation with you, Hotcobra270, you WILL have a boat for Memorial weekend as promised.

centurion tunnel
05-19-2006, 04:09 PM
Here is the deal. This client did leave a deposit at the L.A. Boatshow. So far this client has been in constant contact with Cobra and has in fact been in to see the progress several times of late.
The boat has not been paid for because we do not have the client sign docs until the boat is ready for delivery, so no payments have been made.
We do apreciate our clients patience, it is just that we had a very busy boat show. Per our last conversation with you, Hotcobra270, you WILL have a boat for Memorial weekend as promised.
Ya right.....................LOL

ChumpChange
05-19-2006, 04:11 PM
In writing is always a good thing. Think of it this way. Without the boat ready, you don't have to pay insurance yet.

dicudmore
05-19-2006, 04:13 PM
ya know...this guy has inside info almost like he works there or something :cool:

Throttle
05-19-2006, 04:20 PM
Lets play the "Protect the Builder" game that is always played on ***boat. This may get good as it's Cobra that is being talked about. Throttle AWAY!!!!!
don't need to protect the builder... the builder stands behind its word, as stated previously, I am sure it will be done... I know several other peeps that recently took delivery of there new Cobra's recently that also ordered around the same time. Seems like hotcobra270 might have just started a new thread to help rest his mind on the process... Don't worry, you will enjoy your new boat. Congrats!

Throttle
05-19-2006, 04:22 PM
ya know...this guy has inside info almost like he works there or something :cool:
good connections.... its nice to know things work! :idea:

KineticoH20
05-19-2006, 04:29 PM
Hey Mike JW told me he was taking his first Baja in trade is that yours?

HMF'er
05-19-2006, 04:55 PM
Having been through the new boat build process twice in the last 2 years, I can tell you it takes a while until your turn comes. Once its started, progress tends to come along quicker than you think. I would say if they quoted say 8-10 weeks, it will take 4 weeks to start and 4-5 to finish. Do what I do, go by the shop often and check up on status. They should be quite accomodating to your visits by letting you check things out. If they're not, then you might have problems. I'm guessing you're talking about Cobra and from what I know, they are very friendly and accomodating to frequent visitors. Good luck.

Magic34
05-19-2006, 04:55 PM
My 34' Cat was built in 8 weeks.
That also includes the 15 change orders throughout the process. :rollside: I think I drove them nutz.

blackcloud75
05-19-2006, 05:37 PM
Why rush it.....let it get done right!!!!
"Good things come to those who wait...." as quoted by MOM
My boat took 13 months.......I guess thats why Schiada only pushes 10-15 boats a year.......but they are Meticulious(sp?)

Beer-30
05-19-2006, 05:58 PM
I think you guys are WAAAYYYY off base here. That is not the boat he ordered!
I believe it would be a Cobra 270 RAZOR we are talking about! :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:

little rowe boat
05-19-2006, 06:21 PM
When I ordered my boat back in 95, it was also ordered at the La. boat show. Delivery date quoted was may 1, actual delivery was june 18. 7 weeks late. I think this is probably fairly common in the custom boat industry.

Chromegorilla
05-19-2006, 06:47 PM
If you don't end up gettin your boat by the end of June I would want it arriving with an 07 HIN#.
I ordered my boat in May of 04. I took delivery July 3rd 04. To my surprise it came out of the factory as a 2005. First one for the model year.

catman-do
05-19-2006, 07:01 PM
I ordered my boat from Ultra on the 28th of Jan at the boat show and was told it would take less time than it did. I paid on feb5th and took delivery on May5th so mine was about 3 months. Ive got the boat, but not the trailer yet, im using john's green beast, but the wait is well worth it. I love the boat so far. My only complaint is the insurance is expensive for a cat! See all you other Ultra owners at the regatta!!

TCHB
05-19-2006, 07:06 PM
If you order a new Skater is over 12 month wait.

Parker Dreamin
05-20-2006, 08:29 AM
Assuming you are talking about a Cobra... We placed our order for a 260 Razor about a year and a half ago, they were very up front and honest with us, they told us there were 2 other 260 in front of us and that we would have our completed boat in 12 weeks. During the process we made about 5 trips to the factory to check the status. Needless to say they delivered the boat for us 1 week early in perfect condition. Like Snake said you dont sign any financial paperwork until the boat is ready for delivery. We dealt with Hernando and he had no problem walking around with us every time we came in un-announced to check the progress. As this is our first new boat I can not comment on other builders, but I dont have any complaints about dealing with Cobra during the build and/or being a current owner. Rock on Cobra !!!!!

Tom Brown
05-20-2006, 08:42 AM
My 16' Glastron took about 15 minutes from liquid resin to dealer showroom.

eman1625
05-20-2006, 10:01 AM
Hotcobra27....just be patient, we took our new 26 in January and love it....you won't be disappointed. I'm sure this is their busiest time of the year after boat show and with summer coming...Memorial weekend will be a zoo anyway. I know I would be a little stressed with a brand new boat on such a busy weekend.
Gongrats on your new purchase! Get some pics!

Havasu1986
05-20-2006, 10:18 AM
Our boat was built for the 98' L.A. Boat show, so it had to be done on time.

Dribble
05-20-2006, 10:22 AM
After reading this thread, I can honestly say that I would still buy a Cobra. They look like they're worth the wait.

Havasu1986
05-20-2006, 10:54 AM
. Per our last conversation with you, Hotcobra270, you WILL have a boat for Memorial weekend as promised.Does he mean he will have a loaner if his boat isn't finished.

voodoomedman
05-20-2006, 01:35 PM
Hotcobra27....just be patient, we took our new 26 in January and love it....you won't be disappointed. I'm sure this is their busiest time of the year after boat show and with summer coming...Memorial weekend will be a zoo anyway. I know I would be a little stressed with a brand new boat on such a busy weekend.
Gongrats on your new purchase! Get some pics!
This is true. Memorial is great to be on someone elses boat. Not your own. Your constantly worrying about it. If we go on holiday weekends we don't even launch on Saturday's. We launch on Sunday and Monday at a far away ramp and then stay around Parker Dam away from the drunk drivers. We actually prefer it if my wife has to work on the holiday so that she can take another day off in lieu of and we have a three day weekend on the lake when it isn't such a freaking zoo.

Hotcobra270
05-22-2006, 08:47 AM
Its all good guys.. I stopped by the shop on Saturday and the boat looks awesome.. They just need to do some of the interior. They have the the delivery date for Thurs the 25th..
I'm sure I'll be happy at the end and you guys are correct.. I shouldnt try to rush it since I want it to be perfect..
thanks

MrsSigEpMock
05-22-2006, 08:52 AM
Good news! you must post pics when you get it! :rollside:

Hotcobra270
05-22-2006, 08:53 AM
Good news! you must post pics when you get it! :rollside:
Will do!