PDA

View Full Version : Laughlin trip with Loose lug nuts

BoaterX
05-22-2006, 12:14 PM
Friday, I go down to a tire shop in Upland to get some new rubber for my 22" wheels. I be sure to let the guy know I will be towing my boat out of town for the weekend, hoping he'll take extra caution.......
I lost the key to my wheel locks, but he says no biggie. He takes forever to do the job, and as a result, he says he'll throw in new lug nuts and the new wheel locks at no charge due to how long they are taking. I think to myself....new lug nuts?? Whatever? I check things out and all looks good. When I arrive in Laughlin, I am thinking I glazed up my brakes pretty good and the new tread design is a little bumpy and that's why it doesn't feel right. I take it easy on the way home, finally when I get the boat unhatched, I can see what's really going on..... My front wheels are on, all lug nuts seem tight, yet when I stop and go, I can see the wheels are not seated against the rotor properly. The new lug nuts were too short. They tightened up because the nut was on all the way, but because they were short, they did not push the wheel all the way up against the rotor.
Long story short, I drove from the IE to Lauglin, towing the boat and all along my front wheels were friggin loose! I can't imagine what could have happened if I lost a wheel out there.

RitcheyRch
05-22-2006, 12:16 PM
Would hate to think of what could have happened if you lost one or both front wheels. I would go back to that tire place and kick some arse.

piper
05-22-2006, 12:18 PM
You got lucky the wheels didn't come off or even break the bolts off. Looks like theres a emergency trip to the autoparts store in your future.

AirtimeLavey
05-22-2006, 12:20 PM
:2purples: That coulda been a disaster. If it's the place on 9th, I'm surprised. I haven't had a lot done there, but they've always been good.

RVRKID
05-22-2006, 12:21 PM
What shop in Upland?

BoaterX
05-22-2006, 12:26 PM
The wheel shop I went to for the new tires was in Upland, but I called the Rancho Cucamonga location yesterday and explained the problem. They said they were all booked and could not fit me in. Said to come in Monday. I explained to the focker...."Look, the wheels are about to fall off. He says, sorry, can't fit you in." I was sooo pissed. I had family over and was not going anywhere, so I let it go until this morning.
I went to the Upland shop this morning and they replaced all the lug bolts and fixed me all up. They apologized profusely and made it all better. Sometimes people F up, but it's all about how they handle it and resolve the issue. I gotta give the Upland store an "A" for making things right. Simply acknowledging the error and maknig it right goes a loooong way.
The Rancho Cucamonga store can kiss my brown eye. I will never give them a dollar of my business in my lifetime.

Jyruiz
05-22-2006, 12:31 PM
Damn, how can anybody installing the lug nuts overlook something like that. Glad nothing happen.

BoaterX
05-22-2006, 12:39 PM
did they replace the studs too,i'm sure they are trash/maybe 1/2 worn through :mad: .if you would have lost a tire or 2 you would have lost a fender or 2 :mad:
Yep, they replaced the studs on both front wheels and put back my old lug nuts. Pulled the wheels off all the way around, but rears were ok.

H20 Toie
05-22-2006, 12:39 PM
You should pull every wheel off right now and make sure there are not any cracks on the wheels. I would be really suprized if they are not all ruined.

BoaterX
05-22-2006, 12:43 PM
I'm gonna take my Tahoe to another wheel shop to get a second opinion on if the wheels are ok. The only damage I could see on the wheel was the seat for the lug nuts. They seemed a little worn, but no cracks.
The new tires cost me a grand and if my wheels are messed up, they gonna buy me some new ones. I kept the old studs in case they tried to deny anything later down the line.

Beer-30
05-22-2006, 12:52 PM
When you go back have them take those bothersome locks off and keep them. Just run all regular lug nuts. These locks are the biggest waste of money for wheels. If they want your wheels, they are going to steal the vehicle. It takes them 20-30 seconds to be driving off with your car. It would take 5-10 minutes for a crew of guys to steal the wheels. Therefore, they would just take your vehicle to a safe place, air-chisle off those locks, and take the wheels off at their leisure.
Not having them keeps you from being stranded after someone forgets to put the lock back in the glove box / ash tray. I sold several hundred sets of wheels at our tire shop and never sold one set of those locks.

Eliminator 4 Life
05-22-2006, 12:53 PM
Friday, I go down to a tire shop in Upland to get some new rubber for my 22" wheels. I be sure to let the guy know I will be towing my boat out of town for the weekend, hoping he'll take extra caution.......
I lost the key to my wheel locks, but he says no biggie. He takes forever to do the job, and as a result, he says he'll throw in new lug nuts and the new wheel locks at no charge due to how long they are taking. I think to myself....new lug nuts?? Whatever? I check things out and all looks good. When I arrive in Laughlin, I am thinking I glazed up my brakes pretty good and the new tread design is a little bumpy and that's why it doesn't feel right. I take it easy on the way home, finally when I get the boat unhatched, I can see what's really going on..... My front wheels are on, all lug nuts seem tight, yet when I stop and go, I can see the wheels are not seated against the rotor properly. The new lug nuts were too short. They tightened up because the nut was on all the way, but because they were short, they did not push the wheel all the way up against the rotor.
Long story short, I drove from the IE to Lauglin, towing the boat and all along my front wheels were friggin loose! I can't imagine what could have happened if I lost a wheel out there.
Come and get your JC :rollside:

BoaterX
05-22-2006, 01:19 PM
The more I thought about it, the more I wanted a second opinion before I put my wife and 2 month old daughter in the vehicle. I have another shop checking out my wheels for damage and anything that might not be safe.
Will keep you posted.

BoaterX
05-22-2006, 01:32 PM
Come and get your JC :rollside:
Send me out that brochure we talked about. I am still lookin'

Eliminator 4 Life
05-22-2006, 01:33 PM
Send me out that brochure we talked about. I am still lookin'
ITS GOING TODAY

BoaterX
05-22-2006, 01:46 PM
When you go back have them take those bothersome locks off and keep them. Just run all regular lug nuts. These locks are the biggest waste of money for wheels. If they want your wheels, they are going to steal the vehicle. It takes them 20-30 seconds to be driving off with your car. It would take 5-10 minutes for a crew of guys to steal the wheels. Therefore, they would just take your vehicle to a safe place, air-chisle off those locks, and take the wheels off at their leisure.
Not having them keeps you from being stranded after someone forgets to put the lock back in the glove box / ash tray. I sold several hundred sets of wheels at our tire shop and never sold one set of those locks.
You're right, if they really want them, they're gonna take them. I still think theloacks protect you from the amateurs who won't steal your vehicle, but are happy to leave you car on blocks.

BoaterX
05-23-2006, 10:05 AM
What shop in Upland?
I did not want to bash and name names before they were given a fair chance to resolve the issue, however they are not playing nice. I got a second opinion on the worn out holes on the wheels and they are toast. I talked to the guys who screwed up my wheels and they are unwilling to replace my wheels. I contacted corporate to get their take on it. Waiting to see what their take is on this.....
Drum roll please......and the losers who couldn't figure out which lug nuts were the right ones are........
Discount Tire Center
825 N. CENTRAL
UPLAND, CA 91786
http://www.discounttirecenters.com/images/homeHeaderImage.jpg

AirtimeLavey
05-23-2006, 10:09 AM
Friggen boneheads! :mad:

Beer-30
05-23-2006, 10:12 AM
"Discount" says it all.
You mean you wanted proper lug nuts for the application AND a discount?