PDA

View Full Version : New to the Forum. Bought a new boat, ready for another. Couple Ultra Steath Q's.

beaverretriever
05-22-2006, 06:06 PM
Just purchased, and we are ready for a new one. This is going to get expensive...LOL :rollside:
My wife and I just got into boating late last yr. We live in the Vegas area so Lake Mead and Havasu are our local hangouts (we are 32 and 29 btw). We purchased a new Moomba Wakeboard boat with tower, ballast, etc and of course a giant stereo. We are having the time of our lives with it. We had no idea how much fun boating could be.
We bought the wakeboard boat because we thought we would do lots of wakeboarding, wakeskating and towing of toys. Actually we love to just cruise, catch rays, hang with friends and drink beer...LOL. The boat is slow, and doesnt handle rough water worth a damn, and I knew this coming in.
We just got back from Havasu today. I fell in love with the more sporty looking boats. We really like the look of the Ultra Stealth 21. I love the low draft, SEXY look. Im sure I will be ordering one at the end of this season or begining of next yr.
Here are my questions. I did a search, but got some vague answers.
1.Does Ultra take boats on trade? Im sure I would be better off selling it on my own, but that is such a hassle.
2.I have been reading that some of the bowrider style boats are available with a stern drive or Jet. What is the best way to go on the Ultra for Lake Mead and Havasu, and do they offer both?
3.What options do I have to have? I sure learned a lot after this first purchase but still want to make sure I get the right stuff.
4.Anyone own a new 21Stealth, and how do you like it? What options did you get?
5BTW, Im not made of money; so no, I dont want TVs in cushions..LOL. I would like to stay under 45k. Is this possible?
Thanks for all the help. :)

SDLifesaver
05-22-2006, 06:32 PM
Just purchased, and we are ready for a new one. This is going to get expensive...LOL :rollside:
My wife and I just got into boating late last yr. We live in the Vegas area so Lake Mead and Havasu are our local hangouts (we are 32 and 29 btw). We purchased a new Moomba Wakeboard boat with tower, ballast, etc and of course a giant stereo. We are having the time of our lives with it. We had no idea how much fun boating could be.
We bought the wakeboard boat because we thought we would do lots of wakeboarding, wakeskating and towing of toys. Actually we love to just cruise, catch rays, hang with friends and drink beer...LOL. The boat is slow, and doesnt handle rough water worth a damn, and I knew this coming in.
We just got back from Havasu today. I fell in love with the more sporty looking boats. We really like the look of the Ultra Stealth 21. I love the low draft, SEXY look. Im sure I will be ordering one at the end of this season or begining of next yr.
Here are my questions. I did a search, but got some vague answers.
1.Does Ultra take boats on trade? Im sure I would be better off selling it on my own, but that is such a hassle.
2.I have been reading that some of the bowrider style boats are available with a stern drive or Jet. What is the best way to go on the Ultra for Lake Mead and Havasu, and do they offer both?
3.What options do I have to have? I sure learned a lot after this first purchase but still want to make sure I get the right stuff.
4.Anyone own a new 21Stealth, and how do you like it? What options did you get?
5BTW, Im not made of money; so no, I dont want TVs in cushions..LOL. I would like to stay under 45k. Is this possible?
Thanks for all the help. :)
I will try and help answer some of your questions. First you have to understand that Mead and Havasu are BIG bodies of water and a 21' boat is not a wise long term boat choice. A 21' boat will not handle the chop much better than your current wakeboard boat. If you plan on having a family in the near future you are going to grow out of that boat quick. I would look for a little bigger boat. 24-25' to start with. Ultra and every other boat manufacturer offers both an IO or Jet for power. You would be better off with an IO for many reasons. Power, fuel economy, maintenance, warranty, ect. John West is the owner of Ultra Custom Boats and he is on here quite a bit and would be happy to answer your questions. His screen name on here is Ultra28, just look it up on the member list and shoot him a PM. As far as price goes, whatever power you choose will determine a big portion of the price. Good Luck.

johnny8052
05-22-2006, 06:40 PM
My wife and I just ordered our 21 stealth on April 22 and can't wait to pick it up. We were told about 8 weeks to build, so hopefully have it by early july. You could probably get one for about 45k with the 350 mag. We upgraded to the 496 mag, extreme trailer, spare tire, interior lights, and dual batteries. Talk to Steve at El Cajon store, he was very helpful.

Playbuoy
05-22-2006, 06:57 PM
Welcome to the boards! I agree with the post above regarding going to a 24'+. All in all, find the boat that best fits your needs and enjoy it...until it's time to trade in for a bigger one! ;)

beaverretriever
05-22-2006, 07:51 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the replies so far.
We only have a 3 car garage, and I dont think the 24 would fit. 90% of the time its just my wife and I.
I dont want to finance, and I felt 45k would be a good amount. I guess I go to about 50k. That sounds like I should be able to get a pretty set up 21.

NOCTURNAL
05-22-2006, 08:44 PM
If your hangouts are going to be Havasu and Mead and you can not get a 24'+ boat, then I would suggest a deep vee boat to handle the chop. I have a 25' open bow and on the big weekends it beats the shit out of us when it gets choppy. I have never boated on Mead, but I have heard that it gets worse out in the middle in the afternoon. You want to be able to cut through the chop when it gets bad.
The 21' Stealth is similar in style to my boat and I would not recommend it at Havasu, let alone Mead.

MR HARLEY
05-22-2006, 08:48 PM
Welcome aboard!

Supultlbich
05-22-2006, 08:58 PM
First you have to understand that Mead and Havasu are BIG bodies of water and a 21' boat is not a wise long term boat choice.
This is very good advice. We bought our first boat last season and were looking to go bigger right away. If Ultra is boat you want you should hook up with some people on the boards and go for a ride in both the 21 and 24 and decide for yourself. I think you will find that the 24 is much better suited for the water and conditions you will encounter at Mead and Havasu. If $$$ is truly your bottom line then best of luck, but if you have 45k in cash lying around, it wouldnt be much more to get the bigger boat.
Good luck!!

ULTRA28
05-22-2006, 09:06 PM
As much as I would like to sell you a boat, I normally wouldn't suggest a 21 if the majority of your boating is going to be Havasu. It might work fine for you, but the 21 is a shallow vee. You might want to talk to sigemock on the boards here. He had a 21 that he used at Havasu all the time. He can let you know how his performed.
We do take trades and I would be happy to answer any questions for you if you would like to call me at the office tomorrow. 1-888-955-2628.
John West

beaverretriever
05-22-2006, 09:51 PM
As much as I would like to sell you a boat, I normally wouldn't suggest a 21 if the majority of your boating is going to be Havasu. It might work fine for you, but the 21 is a shallow vee. You might want to talk to sigemock on the boards here. He had a 21 that he used at Havasu all the time. He can let you know how his performed.
We do take trades and I would be happy to answer any questions for you if you would like to call me at the office tomorrow. 1-888-955-2628.
John West
Great, thanks for the reply.
Honestly, even my curent boat is really not that bad, and Im sure your Stealth 21 will be better than my low-end wakeboat on Mead or Havasu. Wakeboard boats are the the worst for any kind of choppiness.
Mead is where 90% of my time is spent, and it always seems better than Havasu.
John, I really appreciate the invite to call you; but definitely dont want to bother you till I get closer. I told my wife it wouldnt be till next season, and I really want to do my research so I dont get the wrong boat. All I know is, I want somthing sleek and faster than what we have.
This particular Stealth is seriously one of the sexiest boats (at any cost, shape, or size) I have ever seen. :) Can you say.... SCHAWIIING!
http://www.ultraboats.com/admin/images/256.jpg

blender over
05-23-2006, 07:15 AM
Yes a 24ft boat will ride better than a 21 BUT i own a 21ft tunnel with a o/b and i can go just about anywhere in havi!!!
You can often see me out there passing bigger boats all the time..
If you want a 21 then get a 21.
Oh a 21 tunnel will ride better through the water than a v bottom :)
Just my 02

dicudmore
05-23-2006, 08:02 AM
Great, thanks for the reply.
Honestly, even my curent boat is really not that bad, and Im sure your Stealth 21 will be better than my low-end wakeboat on Mead or Havasu. Wakeboard boats are the the worst for any kind of choppiness.
Mead is where 90% of my time is spent, and it always seems better than Havasu.
John, I really appreciate the invite to call you; but definitely dont want to bother you till I get closer. I told my wife it wouldnt be till next season, and I really want to do my research so I dont get the wrong boat. All I know is, I want somthing sleek and faster than what we have.
This particular Stealth is seriously one of the sexiest boats (at any cost, shape, or size) I have ever seen. :) Can you say.... SCHAWIIING!
http://www.ultraboats.com/admin/images/256.jpg
Just a thought...
If you like John's boats, and the 21' seems well suited for what you want to do, CONSIDER boating somewhere other than Mead or Havasu for the majority of your trips. From Las Vegas you can be to Cottonwood Cove on Lake Mohave, or Willow Beach on the AZ side of Mohave in approx 1 hr, great boating between those 2 marinas and its very protected through there...doesn't get huge like Mead and Havasu do. You can run up and down that area all year long no worries, good beaches, pretty canyon area etc.
Last weekend is a perfect example...cruised up to Topock sunday morning. Lake was smooth as glass, river was nice...in the afternoon the wind picked up and that lake got pretty big. From the end of the channel to windsor beach I'd say we were airborne no less than half a dozen times, in a 30' Cat and were only running 40 mph or so :220v:

sigepmock
05-23-2006, 10:11 AM
We ran our 21 Stealth on Havasu for 2 years and it was a great boat but it definately got beat up when the water got really rough. We stepped up to the 21 Ultra from a 21 foot Hawaiian with a jet and it was a night and day difference but then again we would have never gone out on Havasu on the weekend in the Hawaiian. The 21' Stealth rides very smooth for a 21' boat, during the week at Havasu its perfect but on the weekends it's get to be too much work and with the addition of our daughter to the mix it was just too rough for us now, since we do most of our boating during the weekends.
I think if you know what you're getting into and don't mind having to really drive the boat in the rough stuff the 21 is a great choice....but....having said that...if you're going to getting a new boat you might really want to look at maybe a slightly used 24' Stealth. Our friends have one in Havasu and it handles the rough afternoons a lot better and the lines of the boat are very similar.
We ran the I/O and 6.2L in ours and it was a great combination of power and weight. We saw low 60's with a light load, and could still pull skiers and waterboarders up with no problem. Plus the thing was great on fuel usage. We could go all weekend running around on one fill up.
If you have any questions feel free to PM me anytime.
Chris

voodoomedman
05-23-2006, 10:37 AM
Do yourself a favor and take John's offer to call him. He doesn't mind or at least he never makes it seem like he minds. If you are deciding between a jet and on I/O they have a 21 and 22 each one is setup better for each propulsion type. I have never been on Mead but it's a bigger lake than Havasu so I'm sure it gets like the Ocean at times. Havasu is great during the week and okay on Sunday unless it is windy but it is bad on Saturday's as everyone keeps putting these huge Ocean boats on there and when they blow by at 90-100 mph it creates so big wakes. The 24 would actually be a better choice if you can afford it. If not then get what you want just make sure that it is what you want as you already bought a boat that didn't meet your needs and your going to upgrade. Well why do that again. It costs in the long run. At least with the Ultra you can sell it for what you paid for it but it is a hassle and you have taxes and insurance and all that good stuff. If your ever in Havasu at the same time as me I'd be glad to give you a ride in the 24 Stealth. The only thing I will warn you about it though is once you ride in it you will be calling John that day and telling him you want one.

beaverretriever
05-23-2006, 10:57 AM
Thanks so much for all the good info guys. I wish I could afford to do this now.
We have an investment property we want to get sold first before putting out 35-50k. Plus I dont want to sell our current boat yet and be out of one for the rest of the season (unless John gives me some sick trade in..hint, hint, wink, wink .LOL)
How does the Essex Sterling 21 compare with the Ultra? It looks to have a bit deeper V. It is kind of going over my price range though at a cool 52k, although I dont think there are very many options I would need to add.

rodnjen
05-23-2006, 11:48 AM
We have the Sterling w/ a 6.2 Bravo three setup and we absolutely love it. It has the best layout of any 21 that we saw plus decent freeboard. Skiing, wakeboarding and cruising are our main pastimes, not necessarily in that order. It handles rough water very well, but it's still a 21' boat. Don't expect miracles.
We avoid the weekends because we don't like the traffic or the a**hole factor that seems to blow in each week. When it is storming on any lake, it is best to head for shore. If like not having to be as concerned about conditions, then go bigger.
But like I said, we are heading into our third season with out boat and we have no interest in trading up. Primarily because it suits our needs. So it really comes down to what kind of boating to you really want and can afford to do?

KineticoH20
05-23-2006, 01:01 PM
Thanks so much for all the good info guys. I wish I could afford to do this now.
We have an investment property we want to get sold first before putting out 35-50k. Plus I dont want to sell our current boat yet and be out of one for the rest of the season (unless John gives me some sick trade in..hint, hint, wink, wink .LOL)
How does the Essex Sterling 21 compare with the Ultra? It looks to have a bit deeper V. It is kind of going over my price range though at a cool 52k, although I dont think there are very many options I would need to add.
You should go to the Ultra Corona office and see Sigepmock's 21 stealth he just traded in it looks new and im sure you ight be able to trade yours in and drive away with that :rollside:

sigepmock
05-23-2006, 01:08 PM
How does the Essex Sterling 21 compare with the Ultra. It looks to have a bit deeper V. It is kind of going over my price range thought at 52k, although I dont think there are very many options I would need to add.
The Essex is a nice boat as well as the Shockwave 21 Step skier. All have very similar bottom designs and ride similar in rough water, to a degree.
If you're looking to buy wait till the end of this season and you will find some really good deals or hit the manufacturers up at the LA boat show in Jan for some smoking deals on new boats. We looked at used boats and then after talking with the guys at Ultra decided it was worth it to go ahead and buy new. The amazing customer service we've since been treated too by Ultra has conviced us it was the right move to make. I don't know about you but for us $45k is a lot of money to gamble on a used boat....you do your research....you try to check the boat out as much as you can....but the reality is you never know what you're getting, so for us the peace of mind went a long way, knowing the Ultra crew would take care of any issue we had.
If we were to do it all over again....we should have probably gone for the 24 Stealth, even though it would have been a stretch for us $$$ wise. But then again at the time we thought it was the right decision and it's worked out OK in my opinion :D
Chris

sigepmock
05-23-2006, 01:14 PM
You should go to the Ultra Corona office and see Sigepmock's 21 stealth he just traded in it looks new and im sure you ight be able to trade yours in and drive away with that :rollside:
Only 37 hours on that bad boy and it has the BIG Stereo :crossx: I think it's listed at $49k or so but John will take care of you.
Do you research and find the boat that fits you, if it means waiting a year to save the $$$ then stick to your guns. One thing to remember is that for the last few years boat prices have only been going up.....what you get for $45k today probably won't get you the same next year...unless the market finally falls out of the CA and Vegas housing market......then there will be a lot of great boats for sale :cry:
Again if you have any questions keep asking, that's what the boards are here for. That and talking smack....and oh yeah....meeting swingers....and.....
Chris

AirtimeLavey
05-23-2006, 01:17 PM
For the $ you have to spend, you really ought to look at the used market. You could get a lot of boat for the money. Some really good boats out there right now. Good luck.

AirtimeLavey
05-23-2006, 01:26 PM
The Essex is a nice boat as well as the Shockwave 21 Step skier. All have very similar bottom designs and ride similar in rough water, to a degree.
If you're looking to buy wait till the end of this season and you will find some really good deals or hit the manufacturers up at the LA boat show in Jan for some smoking deals on new boats. We looked at used boats and then after talking with the guys at Ultra decided it was worth it to go ahead and buy new. The amazing customer service we've since been treated too by Ultra has conviced us it was the right move to make. I don't know about you but for us $45k is a lot of money to gamble on a used boat....you do your research....you try to check the boat out as much as you can....but the reality is you never know what you're getting, so for us the peace of mind went a long way, knowing the Ultra crew would take care of any issue we had.
If we were to do it all over again....we should have probably gone for the 24 Stealth, even though it would have been a stretch for us $$$ wise. But then again at the time we thought it was the right decision and it's worked out OK in my opinion :D
Chris
I bought both my boats used (19' Commander jet & 25' Laveycraft), and saved a ton over the price of a new one. Sure, I had to spend a little afterward to get things the way I like them, but I'm still WAY ahead of the game. Of course, I had them mech. checked out first, and test drove them. No problem. To each, his own. :D

dicudmore
05-23-2006, 02:04 PM
Chris
this coming from a guy with a pontoon boat :rolleyes:
Chris, you know I'm kidding :cool:

sigepmock
05-23-2006, 02:12 PM
this coming from a guy with a pontoon boat :rolleyes:
Chris, you know I'm kidding :cool:
PONTOONS RULE!!!!!!!! :crossx: :crossx: All the cool kids are doing it!!! :yuk:
Dan sounds like your drive is done, how soon till you're back on the water?
Chris

sigepmock
05-23-2006, 02:15 PM
I bought both my boats used (19' Commander jet & 25' Laveycraft), and saved a ton over the price of a new one. Sure, I had to spend a little afterward to get things the way I like them, but I'm still WAY ahead of the game. Of course, I had them mech. checked out first, and test drove them. No problem. To each, his own. :D
I won't argue with you...there are some great deals out there. I think whoever get's our old boat will get a great deal over buying new butt at the same time there are some risks to buying new. It really comes down to what you are looking for and how confident you are in picking the good ones vs the lemons. You are right, to each his own as long as we find a way to get out on the water it's all the same.
Chris

KineticoH20
05-23-2006, 02:27 PM
I won't argue with you...there are some great deals out there. I think whoever get's our old boat will get a great deal over buying new butt at the same time there are some risks to buying new. It really comes down to what you are looking for and how confident you are in picking the good ones vs the lemons. You are right, to each his own as long as we find a way to get out on the water it's all the same.
Chris
Chris just talked to JW said he was workin on both our gel designs, cant wait to see them, although I went with something simple but classic.

dicudmore
05-23-2006, 02:32 PM
PONTOONS RULE!!!!!!!! :crossx: :crossx: All the cool kids are doing it!!! :yuk:
Dan sounds like your drive is done, how soon till you're back on the water?
Chris
I've been on a pontoon myself the last 4 weekends (you know why) good times.
Done eh? You know more about it than I do at this point...
Maybe this weekend (monday) if somebody brings it back out there for me.

dicudmore
05-23-2006, 02:33 PM
Chris just talked to JW said he was workin on both our gel designs, cant wait to see them, although I went with something simple but classic.
is he working gel designs for Chris' pontoon boat?? :wink: :220v:

sigepmock
05-23-2006, 04:49 PM
is he working gel designs for Chris' pontoon boat?? :wink: :220v:
No drawing for us........just really big Ultra Stickers :crossx:
I think Mike and Holly are going to try and bring it back to Havasu for you this weekend....but what do I know.....I don't ever talk with anyone at Ultra....except to get more stickers..... :p

beaverretriever
05-23-2006, 05:02 PM
My wife and I would love a 24, but it will not fit in the garage. Well it actually would, but I wont put my car outside, so we have to stick with the 21.
I talked to john today, he said 45-50k for a very trick 21Stealth. I really want this boat and wish I would have gone this way instead of the wakeboat in the first place.

KineticoH20
05-23-2006, 07:30 PM
My wife and I would love a 24, but it will not fit in the garage. Well it actually would, but I wont put my car outside, so we have to stick with the 21.
I talked to john today, he said 45-50k for a very trick 21Stealth. I really want this boat and wish I would have gone this way instead of the wakeboat in the first place.
Oh just go for it, you only live once!

voodoomedman
05-23-2006, 09:57 PM
Sounds like you need a bigger garage. J/K
If the 21 is what you truly want and you won't get the gotta go bigger itch 6 months later then go for it. I happen to think my 24 is the perfect size for my family right now. Sometimes I think about bigger but it's just a thought because I love my boat.
My only advice for you on Havi with a 21 is to just take it slow and trim it right from Steamboat to the mouth of the river. And choose the time of day you go running up the gorge. Heck last time I was at Havi there was a guy in an inflatable boat with a small outboard at the Sandbar and then I saw him putting on back later. Must be his way of getting to the party.

Playbuoy
05-23-2006, 10:39 PM
Just a thought...
From Las Vegas you can be to Cottonwood Cove on Lake Mohave, or Willow Beach on the AZ side of Mohave
Don't know what this guy is talking about...there's no such thing as Cottonwood Cove!!! Ever since the military testing, the boat ramp and cove were destroyed. Perhaps you should try elsewhere... ;)

UltraStealth
05-24-2006, 09:44 AM
I have a 21' Stealth. For all the local lakes here in Ca., it is great. I was at Mead in 4-5 foot swells taking wave after wave over the bow. It was nasty but it made it through. As long as you stay out of the Virgin Basin you are fine. This boat runs great in 1-3 foot chop. I have no complaints on this boat at all for it's size. The layout is open, nice built-in cooler and storage locker. I am actually about to put mine up for sale. If you are interested PM me.

Goodtime$
05-24-2006, 10:06 AM
I just sold my Vdrive Wakeboat..one thing to think about is the Vdrive seating layout. The 21 stealth is a rad boat, but I would opt for the 24 Stealth. Storage and seating will be similar to a big Wakeboat layout. Best of luck...more room for more booze and girls...

Cole Trickle
05-24-2006, 01:32 PM
If I were you I would talk to John about his new brain child and see what he can do for you in the 23' model.(Not sure what he's calling it yet?)
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111266
Like everyone else I started with a 21' Jet boat and for safety reasons on big weekends choose to upgrade to a 28 footer (Closer to 30) After getting used to the bigger boat I would never go back to a small boat.
Driving a 21' boat in conditions like last months Poker run would in my opinion be suicide.Mean while we ran through it at 60mph no problem. :p
GO BiG and buy a good cover/rent a storage facility!!!;)

USCFAN
05-24-2006, 01:38 PM
GO BiG and buy a good cover/rent a storage facility!!!;)[/QUOTE]
Best idea so far.......

voodoomedman
05-24-2006, 02:55 PM
GO BiG and buy a good cover/rent a storage facility!!!;)
Best idea so far.......[/QUOTE]
Actually........... If you only or mainly boat at the river then store it out there. With gas costing what it does it almost pays for itself since you won't have to tow. You also get there quicker by not being limited to 55 and there is no worrying about it the whole way and less chance of rocks in your trailer paint or your gelcoat. Even if you stick with the 21 you may want to consider that. I hate towing my boat back to Socal.

riverby5
05-24-2006, 03:03 PM
i have a paddle i can sell to you....u might make it back to shore when that 21' takes on that monsoon chop in august. good luck

Dan Lorenze
05-24-2006, 03:58 PM
Great thread, this one's right up my alley...
I agree with you guys that the 21 stealth isn't the best choice for Havasu or lake Mead. Obviously the bigger the boat the better ride though choppy waters that those big lakes seem to have all too often. Last weekend I took 10 of us on a boat ride from Laughlin to the Sandbar in my little 21 Stealth, it handled great (for a smaller boat) but I stayed away from the big Lake, someone told me we went 100 miles round trip. I considered a 24' Stealth but there is quite a big jump in price once you get out of the 21' market. Since I mostly hang out on the river near Bylthe where the water is no so deep I wanted another Jet. I couldn't be happier with my decision to buy an Ultra boat. If I spent more time in Havasu or Mead I just might have a 24' Stealth on the side of my house.. Good luck...
Dan

shippingguy
05-25-2006, 09:31 AM
No drawing for us........just really big Ultra Stickers :crossx:
I think Mike and Holly are going to try and bring it back to Havasu for you this weekend....but what do I know.....I don't ever talk with anyone at Ultra....except to get more stickers..... :p
John mentioned it to me, but I have not heard yet and do not know if it is done yet. If so I will be picking it up tomorrow in Corona and bringing it with me and meeting with Dan tomorrow night. Hopefully he can run it over to Savage on Sat. morning and be on the water.

dicudmore
05-25-2006, 10:29 AM
John mentioned it to me, but I have not heard yet and do not know if it is done yet. If so I will be picking it up tomorrow in Corona and bringing it with me and meeting with Dan tomorrow night. Hopefully he can run it over to Savage on Sat. morning and be on the water.
:idea: I thought this guy knew most things that go on down there :cool:
Mike we'll see ya out there one way or another :D

Johnwithjm
05-25-2006, 10:31 AM
beaverretriever I have a really nice 21 Stealth here at our Corona location if you want to swing by and take a look. You can also call myself or Barry here if you have any questions. 951-734-6000

shippingguy
05-25-2006, 10:44 AM
:idea: I thought this guy knew most things that go on down there :cool:
Mike we'll see ya out there one way or another :D
Yeah I know. I sent John an e-mail we will see what he says. If it is done I have no problem bringing it up with me. I am staying in Havasu this weekend. We will see you out there one or the other.

shockwavebd
05-25-2006, 11:07 AM
I'll beat both there deals come see me at the corona ultra........... :wink:
And you won't have to drive to SD.............LOL

Essex502
05-25-2006, 11:15 AM
I had a 21' Essex Sterling that was a fantastic boat for its size but it got beat to sh!t on weekends in Havasu or on a big lake like Mead when there was any wind or traffic. Even the big basin below Cottonwood on Lake Mohave or the little basin above Cottonwood when the wind came up was aweful. Painful. You will not be happy on these lakes on summer weekends.
Find a way to store a larger boat somewhere besides the home garage or you'll be spending a lot of money and not getting the pleasure the money deserves. We stepped up to a 28' boat and wouldn't trade down in size for any amount. A 24' or 25' boat is minimum for the big lakes when there is any wind (read=afternoons) or traffic (read=every summer weekend). The 21' works really, really well if you only boat Mon-Fri on non-holiday weeks.
Good luck.

rivercrazy
05-25-2006, 11:19 AM
If your really going to stay with a 21'er, check out the following boats - they will ride much better than an 18 degree bottom like the Ultra Stealth:
Shockwave 21 Step Skier
Lavey 21 XtSki or XCS

beaverretriever
05-25-2006, 12:05 PM
Great thread, this one's right up my alley...
I agree with you guys that the 21 stealth isn't the best choice for Havasu or lake Mead. Obviously the bigger the boat the better ride though choppy waters that those big lakes seem to have all too often. Last weekend I took 10 of us on a boat ride from Laughlin to the Sandbar in my little 21 Stealth, it handled great (for a smaller boat) but I stayed away from the big Lake, someone told me we went 100 miles round trip. I considered a 24' Stealth but there is quite a big jump in price once you get out of the 21' market. Since I mostly hang out on the river near Bylthe where the water is no so deep I wanted another Jet. I couldn't be happier with my decision to buy an Ultra boat. If I spent more time in Havasu or Mead I just might have a 24' Stealth on the side of my house.. Good luck...
Dan
Your boat is sick. I love blue the and green. I just love the looks of the 21 footer. Did you purchase it new and what yr is it? What options did you get and what ones should I consider if I get your same boat?
I would love to go to the 23-24ft because of the ride (and I measured, and it will fit in my garage!!!) but cost seems to jump up a good 10-20k. Im really trying to stay under the 50k mark. Looks like I may have to go used. I really wanted to choose my gel, etc.
Our current ride will go up for sale around Aug/Sept, and give us plenty of time to decide and order.

Dan Lorenze
05-25-2006, 12:40 PM
Did you purchase it new and what yr is it? What options did you get and what ones should I consider if I get your same boat?
Beaver, My boat is a 2002 with 85 hrs, I wanted an open bow Ultra Stealth or a Lavey XTSki with either a 502 or 496ho and a set back Dominator Jet, Oh and it had to have rear facing seats too.. I feel like the Stealth was designed for my needs exactly. Options, I really don't know all of them, the Ultra guys here can tell you a lot more than I can, but I believe a setback pump is a little extra as well as the hydraulic diverter and controls might be, obviously a larger motor is extra. The boat comes real nice in standard form though. Believe it or not the stock stereo sounds damn good for just 4 6x9s.
You mentioned you wanted to pick your own colors, I don't blame you at all. Even though I like the looks of my boat It's not exactly what I would've picked, but I saved myself some money in doing so and buying a barely used boat. It's a trade off...
The words of wisdom that I've learned from other HB members is that you want to buy a boat with the biggest motor you can afford and get the bigger boat because most people seem to eventually buy a bigger boat.. Have fun..
Dan

Essex502
05-25-2006, 01:04 PM
Your boat is sick. I love blue the and green. I just love the looks of the 21 footer. Did you purchase it new and what yr is it? What options did you get and what ones should I consider if I get your same boat?
I would love to go to the 23-24ft because of the ride (and I measured, and it will fit in my garage!!!) but cost seems to jump up a good 10-20k. Im really trying to stay under the 50k mark. Looks like I may have to go used. I really wanted to choose my gel, etc.
Our current ride will go up for sale around Aug/Sept, and give us plenty of time to decide and order.
See this: Essex 23' Monarch (http://www.essexboats.com/used_boats.htm)
The 23' Essex Monarch is a great boat and in your price range - $45K.

sigepmock
05-25-2006, 01:39 PM
Already starting huh??? What can you do for me on a 27 Shadow with a 525/XR :crossx:
j/k JW, Barry welcome to the Good side :D
Chris Mock

shockwavebd
05-25-2006, 01:47 PM
Thanks chris..........Don't think I can beat the deal you got..........

slink
05-25-2006, 01:53 PM
Change your screen name Focker, I don't think your new boss would like you pimpin the competition.

sigepmock
05-25-2006, 02:13 PM
Change your screen name Focker, I don't think your new boss would like you pimpin the competition.
That's funny $hit right there..... :)

shockwavebd
05-25-2006, 02:24 PM
Not a chance ........................... :crossx:

redneckgirl
05-25-2006, 02:37 PM
slink Change your screen name Focker, I don't think your new boss would like you pimpin the competition.
Not a chance ........................... :crossx:
You two boys play nice!!!! :rollside:
RNG

shockwavebd
05-25-2006, 02:40 PM
Thanks for looking out for us shelly..............I don't mess with jeff ....he carries a gun............. :skull:

dicudmore
05-25-2006, 03:02 PM
Thanks for looking out for us shelly..............I don't mess with jeff ....he carries a gun............. :skull:
thats good thinking right there :D

dicudmore
05-25-2006, 03:06 PM
beaverretriever I have a really nice 21 Stealth here at our Corona location if you want to swing by and take a look. You can also call myself or Barry here if you have any questions. 951-734-6000
John West
beaverretriever, I just wanted to say its hard to find 3 better people to help you build a new boat than these 3 :cool:

voodoomedman
05-25-2006, 03:16 PM
beaverretriever, I just wanted to say its hard to find 3 better people to help you build a new boat than these 3 :cool:
Your two thirds right. JW is only 4 foot tall remember.....Sometimes you look right over him. :D
Just kidding I agree.......................

sigepmock
05-25-2006, 03:32 PM
Your two thirds right. JW is only 4 foot tall remember.....Sometimes you look right over him. :D
Damn !!! You guys are killing me today...... :D :supp: :D :eek: :2purples:
I just spit soda all over my desk.....

KineticoH20
05-25-2006, 09:13 PM
Your right voodoo, im 6'5'' and I lose him some times :p

shockwavebd
05-26-2006, 09:22 AM
Your right voodoo, im 6'5'' and I lose him some times :p
Me too..................lol

jbone
05-26-2006, 03:09 PM
I dont want to finance, and I felt 45k would be a good amount. I guess I go to about 50k. That sounds like I should be able to get a pretty set up 21.
In an almost 2 hours you went up 5k. Give it a few days and you can the 23 Shadow. Talk about a beautiful boat.
As said, if you are on a budget, like I was, but you want a well built boat, look at Skockwave in Corona. I was very pleased with the price and quality of my 21 Skier.
Good luck.
J

voodoomedman
05-26-2006, 03:41 PM
In an almost 2 hours you went up 5k. Give it a few days and you can the 23 Shadow. Talk about a beautiful boat.
As said, if you are on a budget, like I was, but you want a well built boat, look at Skockwave in Corona. I was very pleased with the price and quality of my 21 Skier.
Good luck.
J
Problem with that is when you get off the freeway at Maple street you see the very very nice Ultra Corona Showroom. They picked a great location. Maybe that's why Barry came to the dark side....... Location, Location, Location.

beaverretriever
05-26-2006, 04:22 PM
Good luck.
J
LOL, Yeah 55k is it, I promise...JK...
I really want to only spend 40, but it doesnt look like that is going to happen. Im really going to try to get in under 50. I was hoping to have enough cash by around January to do this, but It looks like now I will only have the money from my current boat and maybe another 5k to make around 30k down. I will finance the rest which would be $23875.00 if I included tax on 50k, at 180 months at 7.25 or so would put me at 217.95 a month.
Not bad, but I really dont want any payments.
Well, everyone keep their eyes open. Besides used, honestly what do you guys think for under 50k for a new sexy 24 open bow boat????
I love the Ultras, but Im starting to think that a 24 Ultra may not be in the cards money wise. Damn you guys, you talked me into the 24. :cool:

voodoomedman
05-26-2006, 08:43 PM
LOL, Yeah 55k is it, I promise...JK...
I really want to only spend 40, but it doesnt look like that is going to happen. Im really going to try to get in under 50. I was hoping to have enough cash by around January to do this, but It looks like now I will only have the money from my current boat and maybe another 5k to make around 30k down. I will finance the rest which would be $23875.00 if I included tax on 50k, at 180 months at 7.25 or so would put me at 217.95 a month.
Not bad, but I really dont want any payments.
Well, everyone keep their eyes open. Besides used, honestly what do you guys think for under 50k for a new sexy 24 open bow boat????
I love the Ultras, but Im starting to think that a 24 Ultra may not be in the cards money wise. Damn you guys, you talked me into the 24. :cool:
If your looking for 24 then you probably will need to start looking used to stay under 50. You have to set your limits and keep them. That being said, if you really want the 24 Stealth then is it going to cost you in the long run when you settle for something that you don't want and then in a year you go for another boat? You already did that. Only you can answer that question. You can probably keep that same kinda payment or even lower if you finance for 15 years. You have a low payment for safety sake but pay as much principal as you can. Besides if you play your cards right you may just be able to write off the interest as a second home. Talk to John. They can give you rough numbers on the boat price out the door and can give you numbers on financing. When you have better numbers that will probably help make your decison one way or the other.

Essex502
05-28-2006, 05:39 PM
I can - Gene and Mike! :D

dicudmore
05-31-2006, 10:11 PM
I can - Gene and Mike! :D
thats 2, not 3 :D
Besides, the 2 you mentioned don't offer 24'er...however I am a fan of their 25' :cool:

98 Vector 21
06-07-2006, 08:35 PM
You might check the spam section theres a real nice 98 Hallett Vector (rare boat) 21ft Bravo 1 & 7.4Lmag 70mph all day on all 3 of those lakes......

DM57
06-07-2006, 10:13 PM
You might want to consider taking a look at my Eliminator 236 Eagle. It is a true 23 Foot 6 Inch boat. It drives and handles like a 25(same bottom). It is a comfortable ride over Havasu chop. Do a search in Spam and check out all the pics. Search "Eliminator 236". Maybe someone can post the pics. I am sure the experts on here will agree. It is turn key and in showroom condition. It has an extended warranty until July 2008 on the drive and motor. You probably won't need it.
http://eliminator.jpg

Hardly Satisfied
06-08-2006, 01:09 AM
Welcome Aboard