PDA

View Full Version : 911 Guy's !! : NO WAKE ZONE on River ok'd ( Havasu / Topoc )

carbonmarine
05-23-2006, 09:43 AM
By David Bell / Today's News - Herald
Boaters will have to act like angles through teh devil's elbow, according to new rules established by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service. A no wake zone has been established on teh Colorado River at teh Devil's Elbow area of Topoc Gorge at teh request of teh Havasu National Wildlife Refuge.
John Earl, manager of the refuge, said teh area is narrow and features a dangerously sharp turn. " devils Elbow " has had several serious boating accidentsin teh past The no wake zone is intended slow boatersdown so the can navagate teh turn safetly.
In addition to teh new rule at Topock gorge, teh back water area between teh soyth bouy line at the entrance to the river and castle rock is no a no wake zone and no PWC Zone. Bouys will mark both areas. Water Skiing is also prohibited.along teh entire strech of teh colorado river from the north end of lake havasu to the I-40 Bridge. AND LOUD BOATS ARE NOT PERMITTED TO OPERATE IN ANY AREA OF TEH WILDLIFE REFUGE. " Loud Noise is extremely distrubing to most wildlifeand reducesteh value of the refuge. Excessive noise also effects teh quality of teh experience for human visitors" said earle.
The havasu national wildlife refuge manages the Arizona portions of Lake Havasu and the shoreline form Windsor to Catfishbay. From Catfish bay to the I-40Bridge, both sides of teh river are managed by teh refuge as is another tem miles north on teh Arizona side. Congress has designatedabout 18,000 acres of refuge lands on both sidesof teh colorado riverthrough Topock gorge and national wilderness.
NOTE TO SELF: Greenies strike again; sell The Sunsation ASAP, purchase a the pontoon i was looking at !!
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

al cole'holic
05-23-2006, 09:57 AM
..ok, who doesn't know how to spell "THE"...??

BajaMike
05-23-2006, 09:58 AM
What I want to know is how did all the "the"s get turned to "teh"s...
:rollside: :rollside: :) :)

Todd969
05-23-2006, 10:00 AM
What direction is "soyth" ?

MrsSigEpMock
05-23-2006, 10:02 AM
when spell check goes bad!!! :crossx: :p

MrsSigEpMock
05-23-2006, 10:07 AM
What direction is "soyth" ?
how many is "tem"?

Beer-30
05-23-2006, 10:07 AM
And I think I have been headed "soyth" before, but only after several beers.

MrsSigEpMock
05-23-2006, 10:08 AM
And I think I have been headed "soyth" before, but only after several beers.
about after "tem" beers???

Beer-30
05-23-2006, 10:10 AM
about after "tem" beers???
teht's about right!

Not So Fast
05-23-2006, 10:12 AM
You guys are harsh. :D NSF

carbonmarine
05-23-2006, 10:15 AM
NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED !!... see try to do a good public service and i get slammed ?? I typed that out as fast as i could word by word for you fockers because it wasnt avaiulble online... and this is what i get ....
FU2 ! :crossx:

MrsSigEpMock
05-23-2006, 10:17 AM
NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED !!... see try to do a good public service and i get slammed ?? I typed that out as fast as i could word by word for you fockers because it wasnt avaiulble online... and this is what i get ....
Did you expect anything less!!! :yuk: Thanks for the info, Do you know if the Buoys are up yet? Last I heard nothing was posted on the water.

91nordic29
05-23-2006, 10:29 AM
i thought you cut n pasted it from the newspaper. you done good! :cool:

Not So Fast
05-23-2006, 10:33 AM
It's the forums :redface: I think we all appreciate your info or at least I do. Who will be enforcing these new rules, did it say? How will they administer the "noise level" law and which law will be used?? Was this a new story or the same one from about 2 or 3 weeks ago. Just in time for the big weekend!! NSF

dicudmore
05-23-2006, 10:42 AM
Did you expect anything less!!! :yuk: Thanks for the info, Do you know if the Buoys are up yet? Last I heard nothing was posted on the water.
as of last sunday there were no buoys

Kachina26
05-23-2006, 11:24 AM
Slow down, take a deep breath.........
Thanx for the info, it was both informative and intertaining. (pun intended)

Havasu_Dreamin
05-23-2006, 11:35 AM
Thanks for sending us your thoughts on the Havasu National Wildlife Refuge sections of the Colorado River. I hope I can answer your questions.
You are correct, it is impossible for you to travel from the I-40 bridge to the north end of Lake Havasu without passing through the refuge. National wildlife refuges are unique areas that have purposes and protections different from most other types of public lands and waters. We must ensure that all public use activities are safe and compatible with the purposes of the refuge. Any activity creating noise at extreme volumes is disturbing to wildlife and reduces the value of the refuge to wildlife (and visitors). The noise created by many of the boats traveling through the refuge is extreme and their use is incompatible with the purposes of the refuge.
As to the definition of loud... National Wildlife Refuge regulations are provided in 50 CFR (Code of Federal Regulations; available on-line). Disturbing with vehicles regulations are provided at 50 CFR 27.21(e)(1). This section does not indicate a specific decibel level that is considered too loud; it states simply a vehicle that produces unusual or excessive noise... is prohibited. With this in mind, refuge officers typically refer to state noise regulations for guidance. Most boats we have stopped for excessive noise are in very clear violation of state law. If you comply with Arizona and/or California law, you will be O.K. on the refuge in most instances. Also, 50 CFR 27.21(e)(1) requires that every vehicle operated on a national wildlife refuge be equipped with a muffling device that cannot be bypassed.
Please feel free to contact the refuge anytime, we appreciate your interest.
John Earle
Refuge Manager
Havasu National Wildlife Refuge
PO Box 3009
Needles, California 92363
(760) 326-3853

LaveyOne
05-23-2006, 12:46 PM
LMAO !!! That was some of the funniest sh*t that I've ever seen! :D
The "messenger" tries to bring some awareness to the group ... and is then methodically dismembered repeatedly for improper usage of "teh" and "soyth" and etc. :eat:
Funny, funny, funny.
Kepe ti pu !!! :hammerhea

djunkie
05-23-2006, 12:52 PM
You guys are harsh. :D NSF
Ya really. What is this, 2nd grade english class?
Thanks for the info by the way. Oh and how bout some details on the Sunsation your putting up for sale? :rollside: :rollside:

2Driver
05-23-2006, 01:14 PM
You may want to try this website for help: www.Dislexia.moc J/K :rollside:
Seriously, it's not bad idea but how do you go up river in 8 knot current and not make a wake? You'll almost be standing still, 3 mph going upriver and 15 going down I guess.

Kilrtoy
05-23-2006, 02:07 PM
I cant see that being enforced and sticking for awhile

Boatcop
05-23-2006, 02:12 PM
You may want to try this website for help: www.Dislexia.moc J/K :rollside:
I support the Dyslexia Foundation by donating things to them I don't use anymore.
Just last week I sent them my old Scrabble game. :D

Robert1050
06-06-2006, 09:40 PM
OK, it took a LOT of digging to find this thread (man is this forum busy):
I have a real problem (and so do a lot of my friends) about the No Wake zone in the Speed Alley area. I own a small boat & so do my friends, that area was one of the reasons I have been enjoying Havasu as much as I have - it's the only place to go on the river with glass as far as the eye can see and the open spaces give you a chance to 'stretch' your boat's legs a little. It's been a place to go that has a family atmosphere, where most everyone knows everyone else & you can relax for a while & enjoy the quiet company and comraderie of friends.
I went through there last weekend in my boat (at idle speed) and all I found this time was a pontoon boat load of ***holes that made fun of watching me bring my boat in, as they laughingly put it "actually running in the water & not on it!" And then proceeding to make comments about how nice it was to be back there without all of the 'fast' boats like mine being around. I didn't say anything, but after taking a short break, I ran up to Sandbar and met up with a couple of people that used to hang out there on Sunday afternoons & they're really steamed about this also. One was even talking about selling his Stoker's & STV because now he had no place to run it.
I'll be passing along Mr. Earle's phone # and address, but is there any chance that they (the HNWR) will back off on this one?
What a sad day for Havasu, indeed....

DRMCAT
06-06-2006, 09:47 PM
I have a real problem (and so do a lot of my friends) about the No Wake zone in the Speed Alley area. I own a small boat & so do my friends, that area was one of the reasons I have been enjoying Havasu as much as I have - it's the only place to go on the river with glass as far as the eye can see and the open spaces give you a chance to 'stretch' your boat's legs a little. It's been a place to go that has a family atmosphere, where most everyone knows everyone else & you can relax for a while & enjoy the quiet company and comraderie of friends.
I went through there last weekend in my boat (at idle speed) and all I found this time was a pontoon boat load of ***holes that made fun of watching me bring my boat in, as they laughingly put it "actually running in the water & not on it!" And then proceeding to make comments about how nice it was to be back there without all of the 'fast' boats like mine being around. I didn't say anything, but after taking a short break, I ran up to Sandbar and met up with a couple of people that used to hang out there on Sunday afternoons & they're really steamed about this also. One was even talking about selling his Stoker's & STV because now he had no place to run it.
I'll be passing along Mr. Earle's phone # and address, but is there any chance that they (the HNWR) will back off on this one?
Does this mean that the no wake zone is now posted and being enforced?

Devil's Advocate
06-06-2006, 09:51 PM
Careful where you type, it's a rough neighbohood :hammer2:

Kilrtoy
06-06-2006, 10:08 PM
Careful where you type, it's a rough neighbohood :hammer2:
And you heard it from the devil himself

Todd969
06-07-2006, 05:34 AM
Does this mean that the no wake zone is now posted and being enforced?
As of Sunday June 4th, Devils Elbow was still normal.

HOOTER SLED-
06-07-2006, 07:22 AM
Someone quick...........hit the dyslexic spell check button. :rollside:

Dave C
06-07-2006, 07:43 AM
the tree huggers strike again... whats next, your favorite riding area!!!..... :yuk: :yuk:
:cry:

Captain Dan
06-07-2006, 07:57 AM
The Devil's Elbow needs to be a no wake zone - too many aholes going through there at high speed without regard to right of way. It's like a bathtub. A slow cruise through that section will be nice and will open up a few more beaches for use by all. I guess the $$ spent on mufflers wasn't a waste after all.

Robert1050
06-07-2006, 08:11 AM
If HNWR is so concerned about safety, why haven't they bouyed off Devil's Elbow?
For that matter, why don't they bouy off Sandbar - I can't tell you how many boats I've seen going by at WOT - why don't they just bouy it off 1/4 mile up & down river from there? Turn that entire area into a No Wake zone also....

Havasu Luvr
06-07-2006, 08:16 AM
The Devil's Elbow needs to be a no wake zone - too many aholes going through there at high speed without regard to right of way. It's like a bathtub. A slow cruise through that section will be nice and will open up a few more beaches for use by all. I guess the $$ spent on mufflers wasn't a waste after all.
Well, there you go ! ! Some one speaking with intelligence :rolleyes: The only thing I agree with you is the fact that it can be AT TIMES a "Bathtub" in that area, but then again so can the lake on any given day. So do we make all bodies of water a "No Wake" zone? Let me clue you in on this subject, what would be better to have???
a. the old way of traveling through that area and just live with the fact of every wake produced will bounce back off the rocky cliffs thus creating a "Bathtub effect, but remember traveling on plane (at safe speeds) produces a much LESS wake.
OR
b. all boats coming off plane and CREATING a MUCH bigger wake (such as my boat producing 3'+ wake) and then getting on plane thus CREATING another 3' wake. Lets NOT talk about the tour boats that on plane create a 3' wake, I would not want to be around when they try to get back on plane.
I would be curious to see how they will treat this aspect of this new regulation. Now who will be responsible for the damage my huge wake creates to your little boat since I must adhire to a new regulation? I would most likely say that there COULD be a shared liability on both parties (i.e. the wake creator & possibly the agency enforcing the regulation)? Your thoughts?

Todd969
06-07-2006, 08:18 AM
If HNWR is so concerned about safety, why haven't they bouyed off Devil's Elbow?
For that matter, why don't they bouy off Sandbar - I can't tell you how many boats I've seen going by at WOT - why don't they just bouy it off 1/4 mile up & down river from there? Turn that entire area into a No Wake zone also....
That's really a good idea. I can't tell you how many Sunday mornings we've gone to Topock for breakfast and in the area just as you make the right turn to sandbar there is guys in fishing boats anchored dead center. Makes for a very uncomfortable turn since you can't see around the corner and neither can someone coming from the other direction. Keep in mind I am taking the toon so my speed is usually 25-28ish, but we have been passed several times by boats doing better than 60 right there.

Captain Dan
06-07-2006, 08:37 AM
Well, there you go ! ! Some one speaking with intelligence :rolleyes: The only thing I agree with you is the fact that it can be AT TIMES a "Bathtub" in that area, but then again so can the lake on any given day. So do we make all bodies of water a "No Wake" zone? Let me clue you in on this subject, what would be better to have???
a. the old way of traveling through that area and just live with the fact of every wake produced will bounce back off the rocky cliffs thus creating a "Bathtub effect, but remember traveling on plane (at safe speeds) produces a much LESS wake.
OR
b. all boats coming off plane and CREATING a MUCH bigger wake (such as my boat producing 3'+ wake) and then getting on plane thus CREATING another 3' wake. Lets NOT talk about the tour boats that on plane create a 3' wake, I would not want to be around when they try to get back on plane.
I would be curious to see how they will treat this aspect of this new regulation. Now who will be responsible for the damage my huge wake creates to your little boat since I must adhire to a new regulation? I would most likely say that there COULD be a shared liability on both parties (i.e. the wake creator & possibly the agency enforcing the regulation)? Your thoughts?
My major concern is what I said about right-of-way and speed. Faster boats tend to not slow down and pass other boats without regard to right-of-way. This combined with the "bathtub" creates the hazard.
You have a huge wake and I have a little boat? That's a pretty good assumption. Have we met?

Havasu Luvr
06-07-2006, 08:47 AM
Have we met?
Maybe we have...were you the one cruising in the "Elbow" down the middle of the canyon thinking you were the only boat out there or maybe you thought You owned that part of the river.... either way you are right about the "Right of Way" & "Speed" issues, but creating alternate solutions will ONLY create other hazardous safety issues. What is the best solution for that particular stretch of the river only time will tell. I would rather be on plane with my boat (25 -35mph) and create a small wake then to slow off plane (No Wake) and create a 3' wake. Maybe one solution is to SLOW down (just on plane) in that area and SLOWER traffic should yeild to the right side to allow traffic through access. Question:... should a west bound driver on the 91 fwy drive in the #1 lane traveling at 20MPH just past Green River road in OC just to enjoy the view?
You have stated several times that your main concern is the safety issues created by the "Bathtub". If indeed you are freeboard challenged then maybe you should throttle up alittle to bring the bow up above the "Bathtub". What would you do when you head south towards LHC and reach the northern edge of the lake? I have seen several times 4' ers rolling up river...."DAMM Boats" ! ! ! jk

ThongMagnet
06-07-2006, 09:08 AM
I'm just glad they allow power watercraft in their park/refuge. I'll take 3 mph over "KEEP OUT" bouys everytime.
Government is very good at punishing a team, instead of an individual.
1)They'll never shutdown the sandbar. Sandbar closed!
2) Photo radar on the interstate??? will never happen....wrong. Arizona has it now.
I hear their looking at making it mandatory for all passengers and drivers to wear life jackets, when a boat is operated over 45 mph. That'd kinda slow thing's down. :cry: Won't happen...time will tell.
Expect at lot more safety inspection this year, and years to come.

Kachina26
06-07-2006, 09:14 AM
You have a huge wake and I have a little boat? That's a pretty good assumption. Have we met?
24 Stealth isn't really a FB challanged boat :D

Leeward
06-07-2006, 11:19 AM
Maybe we have...were you the one cruising in the "Elbow" down the middle of the canyon thinking you were the only boat out there or maybe you thought You owned that part of the river.... either way you are right about the "Right of Way" & "Speed" issues, but creating alternate solutions will ONLY create other hazardous safety issues. What is the best solution for that particular stretch of the river only time will tell. I would rather be on plane with my boat (25 -35mph) and create a small wake then to slow off plane (No Wake) and create a 3' wake. Maybe one solution is to SLOW down (just on plane) in that area and SLOWER traffic should yeild to the right side to allow traffic through access. Question:... should a west bound driver on the 91 fwy drive in the #1 lane traveling at 20MPH just past Green River road in OC just to enjoy the view?
You have stated several times that your main concern is the safety issues created by the "Bathtub". If indeed you are freeboard challenged then maybe you should throttle up alittle to bring the bow up above the "Bathtub". What would you do when you head south towards LHC and reach the northern edge of the lake? I have seen several times 4' ers rolling up river...."DAMM Boats" ! ! ! jk
But no one dies at 5 mph, even with 4' seas.

Havasu Luvr
06-07-2006, 11:52 AM
But no one dies at 5 mph, even with 4' seas.
Hmmmm? So tell me Turbo, who has died in the "Devil's Elbow" due to speed????? :rolleyes: If your talking about the speed in general then it's going to be hard to keep the speed down on all bodies of water :boxed: I believe speed does NOT injure/kill people....people injure/kill people. Poor judgement and decisions :mad:
Every accident CAN be advoided but this beautiful country of our's allow each and every one of us the freedom to make our own decisions and with every decision we make there are always consequences, good or bad. God bless America and the Men & Women protecting our rights to do so ! !

andy01
06-07-2006, 01:09 PM
Hmmmm? So tell me Turbo, who has died in the "Devil's Elbow" due to speed????? :rolleyes: If your talking about the speed in general then it's going to be hard to keep the speed down on all bodies of water :boxed: I believe speed does NOT injure/kill people....people injure/kill people. Poor judgement and decisions :mad:
Every accident CAN be advoided but this beautiful country of our's allow each and every one of us the freedom to make our own decisions and with every decision we make there are always consequences, good or bad. God bless America and the Men & Women protecting our rights to do so ! !
Good post................
I agree people are the problem in that corner, but at the sametime slower is better. If people can't slow down on thier own and they need to well then the man steps in and makes them slow down. For me I see it as a big pain in the azz, now if I go through there I have to drive threw all of the slower traffic that has collected on the other side. And then get back up to speed two miles later. No I didn't haul azz through there before but I also didn't slow to a idle either. I like running up there it is fun, not that safe when it is busy but when it is empty it is a blast. I think people with fast boats, big boats, small boats and what ever I missed will learn to deal with it or not go there. If they own a boat that may sink do to the waves of another vessle then they will not go there in the middle of the day, if your wake may sink another boat that you ARE heald liable for then you may not go in the middle of the day. At the end of the day this will only effect 3 minutes of everybodies weekend. In six months nobody will even thing about it anymore.
Andy