PDA

View Full Version : Are you superstitious

79Challenger
05-23-2006, 03:03 PM
What are the superstitions regarding renaming a boat.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
05-23-2006, 03:06 PM
I believe its bad luck to not name your boat. Well, thats the excuse I am using anyways....hahaha

Boatcop
05-23-2006, 03:06 PM
Bad luck.
Only proper way to do it is an official "Decommissioning Ceremony", and then a new commissioning ceremony with the new name.
Otherwise
YOU'RE DOOOOOMED!

79Challenger
05-23-2006, 03:09 PM
Bad luck.
Only proper way to do it is an official "Decommissioning Ceremony", and then a new commissioning ceremony with the new name.
Otherwise
YOU'RE DOOOOOMED!
Hhhmmm. This what I was afraid of...

Boatcop
05-23-2006, 03:11 PM
Here is the wording of a proper de-naming and re-naming ceremony.
De-naming Ceremony
"In the name of all who have sailed aboard this ship in the past, and in the name of all who may sail aboard her in the future, we invoke the ancient gods of the wind and the sea to favor us with their blessing today.
"Mighty Neptune, king of all that moves in or on the waves; and mighty Aeolus (pronounced EE-oh-lus), guardian of the winds and all that blows before them:
"We offer you our thanks for the protection you have afforded this vessel in the past. We voice our gratitude that she has always found shelter from tempest and storm and enjoyed safe passage to port.
"Now, wherefore, we submit this supplication, that the name whereby this vessel has hitherto been known _____, be struck and removed from your records.
"Further, we ask that when she is again presented for blessing with another name, she shall be recognized and shall be accorded once again the selfsame privileges she previously enjoyed.
"In return for which, we rededicate this vessel to your domain in full knowledge that she shall be subject as always to the immutable laws of the gods of the wind and the sea.
"In consequence whereof, and in good faith, we seal this pact with a libation offered according to the hallowed ritual of the sea."
Christening ceremony
After a boat is denamed, you simply need to rename it using the traditional christening ceremony, preferably with Queen Elizabeth breaking a bottle of champagne on the bow, and saying the words:
"I name this ship ___________, and may she bring fair winds and good fortune to all who sail on her."

Brewzed
05-23-2006, 04:27 PM
My buddy bought a 29' Warlock World Class that was named "Big Trouble" when he bought it. He changed it to "Measuring Up" and the problems came instantly. It really lived up to it's old name.
But than again who would buy a used boat named "Big Trouble" :rolleyes:
My boat became the "Official Warlock Towboat"

me4drvr
05-23-2006, 04:35 PM
Fock you... The boat was a good boat after two engines, a drive almost coming unbolted, almost losing a prop, a fuel line breaking and almost exploding, 1 stereo being stolen, water hoses bursting and filling the bildge, the u-joints in the yoke exploding, the guide bearing dintegrating.... but it was a good boat :cry:
I just don't see buying a used boat ever again...
I think keeping the name is the game, as good or bad as it is... would you change the name of your wife?

Ziggy
05-23-2006, 04:44 PM
I'm only superstitious about what color golf tee to use....... :D