PDA

View Full Version : Left battery on charger all night and day

stashtrey
05-25-2006, 02:41 PM
I forgot I put one of my boat batteries on the charger in my garage last night. It's been charging all last night and all day today.
Is this going to be a problem? :confused:

Cheap Thrills
05-25-2006, 02:50 PM
as long as it didnt boil it dry you should be ok. did you notice any foul odors?
was the battery hot?
C.T. :wink:

stashtrey
05-25-2006, 02:54 PM
I haven't even been home yet!!!!
I hope my house didn't burn down.

Tom Brown
05-25-2006, 03:00 PM
I hope my house didn't burn down.
If it did, it will because your wife didn't butt her smoke in the ashtray after sleeping with the neighbor. Leaving a battery on the charger should not pose any fire hazard.
What type/size of charger and what kind of battery?

RiverDave
05-25-2006, 03:03 PM
If it did, it will because your wife didn't butt her smoke in the ashtray after sleeping with the neighbor. Leaving a battery on the charger should not pose any fire hazard.
What type/size of charger and what kind of battery?
Actually that's not 100% true.. Optima's and a few other "performance" batteries have been known to randomly explode while charging. A neighbor of mine in the keys burnt up a pretty nice sandrail and did some damage to his garage becuase they left a battery charging unattended for a little while.
RD

HMF'er
05-25-2006, 03:05 PM
Get a Battery Tender or another charger that turns off by itself, then you don't have to worry about it.

stashtrey
05-25-2006, 03:07 PM
I don't know what kind of charger it is. It's probably middle of the road. The battery is just a standard car battery.
hopefully the charger can sense the load and just shut itself off????
Shit... 45 more minutes until I can leave work.
I'm freaking out.

Tom Brown
05-25-2006, 03:09 PM
Optima's and a few other "performance" batteries have been known to randomly explode while charging.
I suppose if there was a bad contact close to the battery, and it was being heavily overcharged, there would be a very real possibility of explosion. Thanks for setting me straight.
I thought the Optima has those weird caps that are a catalyst to turn hydrogen and oxygen back into water, helping the battery retain water and almost eliminating the possibility of explosion.
Wouldn't a non-AGM battery have a much higher likelihood of explosion?

Tom Brown
05-25-2006, 03:11 PM
I don't know what kind of charger it is. It's probably middle of the road. The battery is just a standard car battery.
hopefully the charger can sense the load and just shut itself off????
Unless it is a 3 state charger, it will not shut off. It will, however, go into 'float charge' mode. That's not great for the battery over long periods but it's fine for a day. It would be a problem if you left it on for weeks at a time and you'd have to add water to the battery but for a day, forget about it.
There is a chance that your house won't blow up but just to be safe, I recommend you have the fire department disconnect the charger for you.
... I'm just joking about the fire department.

Tom Brown
05-25-2006, 03:13 PM
Get a Battery Tender or another charger that turns off by itself, then you don't have to worry about it.
:cool:
I use a Shumacher charger from Walmart that turns itself off when it's done. I throw the charger on after every weekend.

stashtrey
05-25-2006, 03:28 PM
Just called 911 and had the fire department go to my house.
JUST KIDDING
:p

Kachina26
05-25-2006, 03:30 PM
Seriously, don't use your automatic garage door opener. If that battery is cooking, the spark from the motor can light it up. (if your hot water heater didn't do it already) Good luck.

Cheap Thrills
05-25-2006, 03:38 PM
I can't figure for the life of me , why anyone would need a hot water heater. why heat hot water? I have a water heater that heats cold water. :p
seriously be careful disconnecting the charger it would be best to unplug the charger first to avoid any sparks that may ignight the hydrogen gases.
ask me how I know.

Kachina26
05-25-2006, 03:41 PM
I can't figure for the life of me , why anyone would need a hot water heater. why heat hot water? I have a water heater that heats cold water. :p
seriously be careful disconnecting the charger it would be best to unplug the charger first to avoid any sparks that may ignight the hydrogen gases.
ask me how I know.
Come on down to havi, I have a hot water heater. I can prove it, turn the water faucet on cold and see what come out of them pipes in August! :D

Cheap Thrills
05-25-2006, 03:43 PM
Come on down to havi, I have a hot water heater. I can prove it, turn the water faucet on cold and see what come out of them pipes in August! :D
ok you got me there.:D

Rexone
05-25-2006, 04:05 PM
I suppose if there was a bad contact close to the battery, and it was being heavily overcharged, there would be a very real possibility of explosion. Thanks for setting me straight.
I thought the Optima has those weird caps that are a catalyst to turn hydrogen and oxygen back into water, helping the battery retain water and almost eliminating the possibility of explosion.
Wouldn't a non-AGM battery have a much higher likelihood of explosion?
Tom judging by your new avatar I'd say and explosion is imminant.