PDA

View Full Version : old gasoline disposal???

AirtimeLavey
05-26-2006, 06:42 PM
Let my old boat sit over a year w/gas in the tanks. :hammerhea
Want to syphon it out. Where should I/can I dispose of it? I'm looking at about 10 to 15 gallons.

YeLLowBoaT
05-26-2006, 06:44 PM
It makes the best weed killer money can buy... Or you could use it as "lawn mower gas"

AirtimeLavey
05-26-2006, 06:47 PM
It makes the best weed killer money can buy... Or you could use it as "lawn mower gas"
I thought about the lawn mower, but that would probably take me two years to go through that much, and don't want to store it. Anybody need some lawn mower gas?

lakewake
05-26-2006, 06:47 PM
Just get some octane booster at the auto parts store and run it out on the lake. Don't dump it out.

Havasu Hangin'
05-26-2006, 06:52 PM
Personally, I would never run it in my boat, since the motors don't have a knock-retard.
I'd mix it with some premium in the truck.

AirtimeLavey
05-26-2006, 06:55 PM
Just get some octane booster at the auto parts store and run it out on the lake. Don't dump it out.
Did that. Or actually, put some stabilizer/water reducer in it. Still sputtered a bit. Don't want to run the boat anymore, because I sold it. Told the new owner, I'd dump the fuel before he picks it up.

AirtimeLavey
05-26-2006, 06:56 PM
Personally, I would never run it in my boat, since the motors don't have a knock-retard.
I'd mix it with some premium in the truck.
I agree with you on this, but I'm even reluctant to put it in the Tahoe.

Havasu Hangin'
05-26-2006, 06:58 PM
I think the Tahoe hold 30 gallons?
Put 25 gallons of premium, and 5 old stuff...it may drop the octane a point or two, but it won't be below 87, so it will never know.
Unless it's contaminated...then I'd take it to a disposal place.

Forkin' Crazy
05-26-2006, 07:40 PM
Runs just fine in my GMC. Even with two stroke oil in it. :crossx: Smells good though! :D

AirtimeLavey
05-26-2006, 07:42 PM
I think the Tahoe hold 30 gallons?
Put 25 gallons of premium, and 5 old stuff...it may drop the octane a point or two, but it won't be below 87, so it will never know.
Unless it's contaminated...then I'd take it to a disposal place.
That's a thinking man's plan - thanks. I don't think it's contaminated, but how would I know? :idea:

Flying Tiger
05-26-2006, 07:44 PM
Some of the fuel stations your way near Newport have fuel polishing service, usually Shell.
It's what I do, works tits.

AirtimeLavey
05-26-2006, 07:49 PM
Some of the fuel stations your way near Newport have fuel polishing service, usually Shell.
It's what I do, works tits.
:idea: Might check that out. Thanks.
And nice avatar. Only took me five minutes to actually read your post. :crossx:

JAY4SPEED
05-26-2006, 07:51 PM
Do you recycle old oil? I'd mix it in with some old oil and bring it in to be recycled.
Jay

AirtimeLavey
05-26-2006, 07:53 PM
Do you recycle old oil? I'd mix it in with some old oil and bring it in to be recycled.
Jay
10 to 15 gallons worth of used oil might look a tad suspicious. :crossx:

AZJD
05-26-2006, 08:00 PM
bonfire

AirtimeLavey
05-26-2006, 08:02 PM
bonfire
lmao..that's becoming option #1 :crossx:

YeLLowBoaT
05-26-2006, 08:08 PM
I am telling you weed killer... If you have gravel any where around your house poor it there.... it will kill the weeds faster then round up.

Daytona100
05-26-2006, 08:09 PM
I pulled a bonehead move when dealing with old gas in my daytona. I rigged up a fuel pump and was pumping the old gas into a 15 gallon container. After filling up my duelly I was filling up the container when my neighbor came by to discuss some yard work. So were on the side of my house discussing some work were going to do and my wife comes around the corner and asks what im pumping into the street. DOH them holley black pumps get it on. Filled up the container the gutter on my street and the drain going down the street. So the neighbor and I proceed to run a couple hundred gallons of water down the street and im stressing nobody throws a cig into the gutter and lights the whole damn street on fire. :cry:

maxwedge
05-26-2006, 08:10 PM
I posted this same question a few months back and was told to take it out to the dunes and use it to start a bon fire. Just thought I would pass on the info. :) Of course we don't have any dunes near here so I still have the gas. :rolleyes:

Forkin' Crazy
05-26-2006, 08:32 PM
I am telling you weed killer... If you have gravel any where around your house poor it there.... it will kill the weeds faster then round up.
Not only is that a bad idea, it is bad for the environment. I am far from a tree hugger, but I don't dump oil or fuel on the ground. Let some one catch you doing that (DEQ) and see what happens.
Roundup (glyphosate) is for killing weeds and is virtually harmless to the environment.

lakewake
05-26-2006, 09:24 PM
Please no matter what you do ,don't pour it on the ground or into the storm drain. Mixing it with motor oil comes with a huge fine if you get caught and not very safe for the retail stores like Kragen and Auto Zone that takes the oil. Most landfills now have a toxic waste disposal area. You have to pay but it's not much compared to a $10,000 fine for dumping into the environment.

roady
05-26-2006, 11:00 PM
Run it 50/50 with fresh gas in your car - you won't notice the difference. Gasoline has decent shelf life. You'll save some $ and no envionmental issues.

Wicky
05-27-2006, 05:09 AM
Sobe Bombs!!!!

MagicMtnDan
05-27-2006, 05:23 AM
Please don't pour it out anywhere. Dispose of it properly if you're not going to use it.
I Googled "hazardous waste disposal Orange County" and came up with this:
http://www.oclandfills.com/hhwcc.asp
http://www.co.orange.nc.us/recycling/hhw.asp
http://tinyurl.com/kxhls

RitcheyRch
05-27-2006, 07:22 AM
Thats what I do and have never had an issue.
Run it 50/50 with fresh gas in your car - you won't notice the difference. Gasoline has decent shelf life. You'll save some $ and no envionmental issues.

AirtimeLavey
05-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Hey, thanks for all the suggestions, web-links, etc....ok, well, most of them anyway. I think I'm going to opt for something that won't land me in jail, risk a runaway fire that burns down the neighborhood, or harms the environment. Almost went for the ex thing, :crossx: but probably better not.
Turns out, Upland's got a hazardous waste program, and while I couldn't reach anybody on the phone, the website says they'll take gasoline (on most Saturdays, of course not today :mad: ). May still try and run some of it through the Tahoe.

lakewake
05-27-2006, 12:16 PM
Hey, thanks for all the suggestions, web-links, etc....ok, well, most of them anyway. I think I'm going to opt for something that won't land me in jail, risk a runaway fire that burns down the neighborhood, or harms the environment. Almost went for the ex thing, :crossx: but probably better not.
Turns out, Upland's got a hazardous waste program, and while I couldn't reach anybody on the phone, the website says they'll take gasoline (on most Saturdays, of course not today :mad: ). May still try and run some of it through the Tahoe.
See if some of the neighbors want it for their lawn mowers. Or stop a landscapers truck and fill their gas cans. It should work fine in tractors or lawn mowers .

RitcheyRch
05-27-2006, 12:37 PM
Almost impossible to destroy an old lawn mower engine. Had a friend put a 200hp nitrous system on his mower and the thing kept on ticking away. Sure shot some wild flames out the exhaust but kept working.
See if some of the neighbors want it for their lawn mowers. Or stop a landscapers truck and fill their gas cans. It should work fine in tractors or lawn mowers .

jimslade
05-27-2006, 01:02 PM
Add fuel stabilizer and run it in your car. I do that with all my old snowmobile gas.