PDA

View Full Version : Drinking alcohol & boating.

HCS
05-26-2006, 10:13 PM
Time to maintain.
(Not that I personally have for the most part, in the past kept a level head.)
I drink and will drink less alcohol while boating.
In my life time as a boater, we, as in boating freinds, used to pack the boat
with beer. Then hit the water and drink away.
It was typical for me to down a 12 pack of beer during the day.
We would water ski, drink and party all day.
Those days were a blast!
To be honest though. I'm amazed we never had an accident.
I think back when I use to boat with freinds in the late 70's, it's amazing we
never had a major accident.
The biggest thing back then I guess, is that boaters where a smaller crowd.
You didn't have everyone and their cousin on the water.
BUI laws carry the same penalty as DUI's.
I know. It's been that way for couple years now in California. :rolleyes:
But, as the pilot of my boat, I've been reducing my beer consumption when I go boating for the day.
So for the most part, do you?

clownpuncher
05-26-2006, 10:42 PM
as the pilot of my boat, I've been reducing my beer consumption when I go boating for the day.
Always maintain. I've got too many innocent souls on board, and around me, to be irresponsible. Drinking gets done at the end of the day. Not to say I won't have a beer every two to three hours, but, for the most part it's Gatorade and water.
It's really funny to watch all teh other folks get drunk when I'm sober :)
I think this (http://www.***boat.net/forums/showthread.php?t=116323) kinda goes along with getting older and wiser :)

Hardly Satisfied
05-26-2006, 10:55 PM
I drink , the wife drives :rollside:

Daytona100
05-26-2006, 11:11 PM
To much liability to drink and boat. Insureance is high enough with a clean record. If I got popped for a dui id have to sell the boat. For me I feel a lot better more alert sober. After the boats put away and were safe and sound back at the hotel its time to kickback relax and pound a few. :) We dont even keep alchohol on the boat eliminates the temptation.

Wake Havasu
05-27-2006, 12:09 AM
Always maintain. I've got too many innocent souls on board, and around me, to be irresponsible. Drinking gets done at the end of the day. Not to say I won't have a beer every two to three hours, but, for the most part it's Gatorade and water.
It's really funny to watch all teh other folks get drunk when I'm sober :)
I think this (http://www.***boat.net/forums/showthread.php?t=116323) kinda goes along with getting older and wiser :)
Amen.
Same here. I am the captain and responsible for usually little kids.
They rely on me.
Not a drop on the boat.

24ROD
05-27-2006, 05:15 AM
I drive my son drinks. My son drives I drink.

Sleek-Jet
05-27-2006, 05:43 AM
I'll have a beer with lunch or while we're just floating around during the day... maybe 3 beers tops for the whole day. Unless I'm not driving, then... woohoo!!!
Of course, I've been out and the DD has gotten tanked. That's fun. :220v:

Itsahobby
05-27-2006, 06:15 AM
I seldom, even, have a beer if I am driving. I choose to wait until I get back to the campground.
Hobby

SummerBreeze
05-27-2006, 06:50 AM
I might have a few beers the whole day. But it's best for me to drink water and gaterade.
The last thing I want is a boating problem.

Not So Fast
05-27-2006, 07:07 AM
If you want another deterent then listen here. My bro-in law just got popped for being drunk, way drunk .268. here is how it went. Arrested and taken to jail as is, in trunks only, posted bail the next day. Not to make this too long I'll just say that he has finally had his day in court and so far the $$ outlay has been close to $10,000. This does not reflect what his insurance will cost him for the next 7 years or the fact that he lost his company truck and has to provide his own (we all know the price of a truck right). OH YEAH did I mention the 10 days in jail he still has to serve, they are nice about that though and let you spend it in a jail of your choice, of course you lose your pay check for that time.
Sure has made me think about drinking and boating, mybe a couple during the course of the day but thats it. OH yeah I forgot, he was arrested at the ramp, his boat was ransacked at the beach by the Turtle, stole his wallet. JUST NOT WORTH IT :frown: NSF

JetBoatRich
05-27-2006, 07:30 AM
Stay sober and enjoy the day :cool:

Tremor Therapy
05-27-2006, 07:50 AM
I always have the wife and kids on the boat. I too have indulged in the past, but usually never more than a six pack during the day, but that has changed in the past 2 years. Maybe a beer with lunch, and thats about it. My wife can drive the boat, but she has not learned to launch and retrieve, so until that happens, good old dad will be the DD!

Sleek-Jet
05-27-2006, 07:57 AM
... way drunk .268...
Good Lord... he's lucky he's alive...

Not So Fast
05-27-2006, 08:55 AM
He is an alcoholic and I would guess he would register over the legal limit at any time of the day. And he was tested twice, did I mention the citation was for Extreme D.U.I. also. Still I dont think he will change his drinking habits, what a shame!! :frown: NSF

HocusPocus
05-27-2006, 08:59 AM
the only thing i drink is water and sodas while on the lake.

MONEYFURNOTHIN
05-27-2006, 09:10 AM
A typical weekend for my usually consist of getting sloppy drunk. Once im good and trashed i like to drive...... FAST! Ive been known to strike small pets and children frolicking in the water. Ive have also been known to strike a boat or two trying to slide into a spot in the channel you couldnt park a bike in..... see you all out on the water! :cry:

Havasu_Dreamin
05-27-2006, 09:19 AM
I don't drink any alcohol until we are back at the house. And even then I rarely drink anymore.....

phebus
05-27-2006, 09:39 AM
I'm sorry, but I have been going to the river since I was a kid, and having some beers is just part of the experience.
That said, I drink responsibly, and have no fear of ever being tested. Wasn't always the case, but I drink very little now.

phebus
05-27-2006, 09:40 AM
A typical weekend for my usually consist of getting sloppy drunk. Once im good and trashed i like to drive...... FAST! Ive been known to strike small pets and children frolicking in the water. Ive have also been known to strike a boat or two trying to slide into a spot in the channel you couldnt park a bike in..... see you all out on the water! :cry:
LOL :rollside:

JetBoatRich
05-27-2006, 12:26 PM
Is it wrong to have your 16 year old the DD to get everyone back to the slip :rolleyes:

ratso
05-27-2006, 01:21 PM
.40, in most cases, you have alcohol poisoning and are pretty much screwed without medical intervention.

2Driver
05-27-2006, 01:46 PM
there are better places for everyone to drink heavily. Personally I want people in my boat sober. I sure don't want a boat of drunks in my boat if something happens. I need someone who can catch a line, stand on the bow, go in the water, or take care of others should something happen.
Worse case you need 2 people to pull out at the ramp anyway. One designated driver doesn't work for boating. You need at least 2 sober in a boat (everyone in my book). I save one Coors light for the day. Then once safely at home break out the Capt./Coke and Margaritas!!!!!!!!!!!!
By looks of the poll I'm not alone.

little rowe boat
05-27-2006, 05:04 PM
I don't touch alcohol when I am behind the wheel.

Kim Hanson
05-27-2006, 05:24 PM
I have gotten better, I keep it to the beach and take time to enjoy the sun before going back out in the boats, okay sometimes :crossx: .........( . )( . )........I keep it under a 100mph when I do it though :p

CBadDad
05-27-2006, 06:37 PM
I ususally wait until after we've skiid and/or tubed and have found a nice little cove to kick back in and swim and have lunch. Might have 3 or 4 beers and then wait some time before pulling anchor and moving on.

shueman
05-27-2006, 07:03 PM
I like to pack up a 30 and a 1.75 tequila, get to the channel early, and start pounded the beverages and crank up the toons. By noon, I got a pretty good buzz, so like sit on the boat 'cuz I can't walk that straight (no need to bring attention to one's self).
The channel is great there cuz you can just float out there and take a piss; no problem. When it's time to head back, I like to take a few speed runs around the island to help me sober up enough to get the boat back on the trailer.
j/k :D

slovolvo
05-30-2006, 10:08 PM
there are better places for everyone to drink heavily. Personally I want people in my boat sober. I sure don't want a boat of drunks in my boat if something happens. I need someone who can catch a line, stand on the bow, go in the water, or take care of others should something happen.
Worse case you need 2 people to pull out at the ramp anyway. One designated driver doesn't work for boating. You need at least 2 sober in a boat (everyone in my book). I save one Coors light for the day. Then once safely at home break out the Capt./Coke and Margaritas!!!!!!!!!!!!
By looks of the poll I'm not alone.
I have very little voice left from yelling at the drunk asses on my boat this weekend. When I did get stopped by LE, it felt really good to look the officer straight in the eye and tell him I had not even had a sip of alcohol. After he adiministered the pen test, I was on my way. Getting stopped is actually kind of rewarding, it reinforces what we all know should do anyhow. I completely agree with having several sober(or at least coherent) peolpe on the boat. If I wanted to drive the short bus, I would not be in my current profession.

Seadog
05-31-2006, 06:18 AM
There is no alcohol worth the lives of my family and friends to me. I don't mind social drinking, but I will not invite a drunk back. Of course, I have never had a gorgeous gal on board that would strip when drunk, either.

Flying Tiger
05-31-2006, 06:33 AM
Desig driver here, but,, that puts PWC's at risk.
Most my near hits with PWC's were misses because I was driving the boat
If it was the wife or kids driving,, we'da had a tragedy

Wolskis_Bar
05-31-2006, 06:43 AM
We leave the house with 3 beers in the cooler along with the usual water, soda, food. If I brought more I'd drink more. Holy Sh!t, did I just have a moment?

SmokinLowriderSS
05-31-2006, 05:30 PM
When we head out, our activities run the gamut from tubing/skiiing a while, floating or anchoring in the quarry a while for a rest break. Lowrider goes out stocked with a cooler, beer, several sodas, water well iced inside. Both my and the Admiral's habits have us mixing out intake to keep the beer at bay and remain not only under controll but under illegal.
Now, after we tie back at camp and the Liar's Club arround the campfire, all bets are off and I'll put everyone under the picnic table. :crossx:

Holland
05-31-2006, 06:34 PM
Once the boat is on the trailer, and we are back in the parking lot of whatever hotel, I send the wife and kids up to the room... Then my buddies and I get trashed while we are cleaning up the boat. I have met more cool peeps this way!!!! With kids, responsibilities, and other family or friends, It is not worth it!!!!! What choices are there? A DUI or killing someone because you were not at full attention. Happens way too often!
Stay safe all!!!

F26
05-31-2006, 06:50 PM
CLASSIC

Biglue
05-31-2006, 07:04 PM
I will enjoy a few beers through out the day. I do however mix in some sodas and water in there. I'll snack on stuff as well. Once it gets later in the day I will stop drinking because I know I will be driving in the next couple hours. I will never get sloppy out there either. Just not worth the fines or worse, an accident.

HTRDLNCN
05-31-2006, 07:22 PM
Must say Im damn impressed,,you guys in Havasu are a very responsible group..
Its rare to see any boater over here that hasnt had a six pack or a couple drinks after a couple hours out . Gilberts and the TikiBar are always packed with boaters and theyre all drinking,same for most everyone I have met out on Lake Travis at Carlos&Charlies or Shades. Never had a problem with any of them but to say that they only have couple beers in a whole day would be stretching it to say the least. Cruising over to the Islands(Bahamas) you would be hard pressed to find anyone on a boat who hasnt had more than a few.

Fast Freddy
05-31-2006, 07:26 PM
i took a hit of acid at the lake one time, but then i wasn't drivin

pixilatedpussy
05-31-2006, 07:27 PM
Time to maintain.
(Not that I personally have for the most part, in the past kept a level head.)
I drink and will drink less alcohol while boating.
In my life time as a boater, we, as in boating freinds, used to pack the boat
with beer. Then hit the water and drink away.
It was typical for me to down a 12 pack of beer during the day.
We would water ski, drink and party all day.
Those days were a blast!
To be honest though. I'm amazed we never had an accident.
I think back when I use to boat with freinds in the late 70's, it's amazing we
never had a major accident.
The biggest thing back then I guess, is that boaters where a smaller crowd.
You didn't have everyone and their cousin on the water.
BUI laws carry the same penalty as DUI's.
I know. It's been that way for couple years now in California. :rolleyes:
But, as the pilot of my boat, I've been reducing my beer consumption when I go boating for the day.
So so true! I really changed my ways as well. On Saturday I had 2 beers all day....drank pepsi & water the rest of the day. Not much in the mood after seeing all the lame asses on the river this past weekend!

Biglue
05-31-2006, 07:28 PM
i took a hit of acid at the lake one time, but then i wasn't drivin
This explains you winning a race against a Cigarrette. LMAO

HTRDLNCN
05-31-2006, 07:32 PM
This explains you winning a race against a Cigarrette. LMAO
dang,,you just made spit soda all over my computer...
:cool:

blown dough
05-31-2006, 07:33 PM
So so true! I really changed my ways as well. On Saturday I had 2 beers all day....drank pepsi & water the rest of the day. Not much in the mood after seeing all the lame asses on the river this past weekend!
MY hubby had about the same two all day, kind of a new attitude this year. Props to you that take care of the others!!!!!!

Phat Matt
05-31-2006, 07:34 PM
I bought two 36 packs of coors light for this past weekend. I figured that would be enough to get through along with the 1.75 of Ketel One. All my beer was drank on Saturday by night time. :jawdrop: I have lushes for friends. :D

pixilatedpussy
05-31-2006, 07:37 PM
MY hubby had about the same two all day, kind of a new attitude this year. Props to you that take care of the others!!!!!!
The big Bottle of kettle 1 I put in the boat.....still there...never touched it all weekend!
Water baby.....Keep the hard party off the water! :rollside:

Mtg Pro
05-31-2006, 07:38 PM
He is an alcoholic and I would guess he would register over the legal limit at any time of the day. And he was tested twice, did I mention the citation was for Extreme D.U.I. also. Still I dont think he will change his drinking habits, what a shame!! :frown: NSF
He clearly made a bad mistake that will cost him for a long time. I'm sure he was the only injured party, otherwise you would have mentioned that too. Nothing like throwing a family member under the bus in a public forum.

Caribbean Jet
05-31-2006, 08:42 PM
I know that it's boring, but if I'm driving, no drinking.

checkster
05-31-2006, 08:56 PM
Not the old days anymore (how did we survive). I maybe had two all day last Sunday and....Yes I'll admit it, I drank a 12-pack of NA and about 2 gallons of water.......but like slovolvo said...it is sure nice when LE stops you and sends you on your way. :D

duffster
06-01-2006, 05:39 AM
What lake have you been going to in the past two years??? :rollside:
I always have the wife and kids on the boat. I too have indulged in the past, but usually never more than a six pack during the day, but that has changed in the past 2 years. Maybe a beer with lunch, and thats about it. My wife can drive the boat, but she has not learned to launch and retrieve, so until that happens, good old dad will be the DD!

duffster
06-01-2006, 05:41 AM
I'm about the same and I like to think I have cut back a little. But at the end of the day and the boat is parked it's all over no limit and out of control. The way it should be

OGShocker
06-01-2006, 06:07 AM
I have cut way back. If we are going to anchor for a couple hours, I might mix one cocktail right off the bat. Eat lunch, pull anchor and it's water for the rest of the day. The lives of my passengers are more important than me popping a drunk.
Now, get me to the "Turtle" at night and it's a whole different story. Kettle Rockstars and my wife the DD!:D