PDA

View Full Version : Any auto electric/trailer gurus on? NEED HELP........................asap please

clownpuncher
05-27-2006, 09:29 PM
I have a flat bed trailer with a "TAP" breakaway break kit. It's been sitting for a few months. I hooked it up tonight and tried to drive away, but, one of the wheels was locked (break engaged). After ****ing around for a few minutes I realized that the breaks release when I disconnect the plug or turn the ignition off. Battery on the unit is reading 12.9 v
Any clue wtf is up?
Thanks in advance
ROC

upsman105
05-27-2006, 09:42 PM
You definately have a wire that is hot and should be not.
This might help.
http://www.etrailer.com/faq/wiring.asp

painterdan32
05-27-2006, 10:06 PM
check for mice in the wiring. sounds like a backfeed from ground. just my 2c.

H20 Toie
05-27-2006, 11:35 PM
sounds likd e a short

BadKachina
05-27-2006, 11:46 PM
If you have electric over hydraulic brakes you should have a positive from the truck that goes to the brake controller, a ground, and a positive circuit that loops from your battery through your breakaway switch back to the electric motor. If you breakaway switch is is activated it will apply full breaking force to your wheels. If you disconect it from the vehicle and you unplug your battery it should not work at all. If you have one wheel locked up without applying any brakes (through the controller or the breakaway switch) I would guess you have a stuck or rusted wheel cylinder.

clownpuncher
05-28-2006, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the quick replies. Since I can't see shit at night I'm gonna have to switch trailers for the weekend.

THOR
05-28-2006, 07:15 AM
You shouldnt have a constant 12V going to the trailer. That is too much and will make the electric brakes lock up. That is why the controller is in the cab so you can adjust the juice going to the trailer. I know a lot of the new Fords dont have the correct adjustment coming from the factory.