PDA

View Full Version : Damm funny thing this weekend at Steamboat.

scarabrick2
05-30-2006, 05:46 AM
Well Sunday afternoon around 1 ish while anchored on the west side of steamboat I saw a pretty funny thing. I watched this Eliminator open bow get his box anchor ready to go in. The guy in the front had the Box anchor and bungee cord anchor line in hand. Well I guess he thought he had the bungee cord snaped off but yep you guessed it, he throw the box anchor over and then flipped the cord over the bow however, he didn't snap it off. The guy didn't even know it. I yelled at him while the boat was backing down and said Hey your not anchored anymore. He looked at the guy in the front said a few words and just drove away. I would have done the same!!! I did along with another guy from a nearby boat try and find it by breath holding down to the bottom but the snap I'm sure weighted the rope down. The water depth was 34 feet and it was so turned up that I could only see about 10 feet once on the bottom. So If your the guy who lost the houndred dollar plus anchor I tried to get it for you but I had no luck. Anyways maybe tahts a good reason to carry two anchors. Sorry about the bad luck dude!!!!!

HocusPocus
05-30-2006, 06:20 AM
i have picked up 4 of the box anchors and 2 mushroom looking achors over the years at various spots in the lake. once we are set up in a spot we like to do some snorkling. :)

Cruzzze
05-30-2006, 06:29 AM
I just got my box anchor this morning, so what do you mean snap it off? Thanx :)

boxscore
05-30-2006, 06:43 AM
I've snapped one off in Steamboat many times.

Throttle
05-30-2006, 07:56 AM
thats a god reason to do it yourself... :mad:
i lost one in powell last july, i was sure i had clipped it on the bow hook, oh well shiat happens...

MrsSigEpMock
05-30-2006, 08:07 AM
Readying all of these anchor mishaps, I think I am going to buy one hell of a magnet and go anchor fishing, or charge 10 bux and let the guy/gal do it themself.... :p

syke-o
05-30-2006, 10:24 AM
i met the owner/inventor of box anchor fri night at a party.. pretty cool guy actually.. for the life of me i cant remember his name though..

SHAKEN Not Stirred
05-30-2006, 10:36 AM
Ya' know....
A little pre-planning before entering Steamboat helps.....
Fenders out.......on both sides !!!!......3 per side is just about right.....
Don't expect the fool your gonna tie up to to have the right size fenders deployed in the correct place on his boat......and you can bet they won't match up to the correct spot on YOUR boat......
Mooring lines ready.......4 or so are advised!!!!
Attach the loop end to your through the cleat boat so when the whole party breaks up fast and boats are flying around in the wind, you don't have to yell around for your lines.....
Box Anchor depolyed and rope SECURELY attached via a REAL knot !!!!
Oh yea......and tie off the other end even if you know you have enough anchor line......
Lastly, YOU deploy the Box Anchor......Don't let your drunk, non-experienced buddy try to throw that B*A*S*T*A*R*D off your boat.......
Oh.....and don't be an anchor w*h*o*r*e.....Stop being lazy and throw an anchor out on your flotilla......One Box Anchor can't hold a dozen boats, espicially in the wind while the flotilla is turning in circles.....
OK.....Class dismissed.....
CJG
:p

SHAKEN Not Stirred
05-30-2006, 10:39 AM
i met the owner/inventor of box anchor fri night at a party.. pretty cool guy actually.. for the life of me i cant remember his name though..
His name is Ryan....
Saw him stumbling back from Cha Bones last night cutting through the Channel park......
Great Guy....
CJG
:)

Jyruiz
05-30-2006, 10:48 AM
That sucks, wonder if his buddy will help him buy the next one. I have two anchors as well, Dana Jaws and the Box anchor, but I always tie before throwing it in and they are attached to a 100' anchor lines. I don't think Havasu is that deep, but it does not hurt to have that much line.

scarabrick2
05-30-2006, 11:02 AM
My bro just got another one at west marine Monday before heading out to mead. he got a large one along with 100' 3/8 three strand.. Havasu was a little windy Sunday around 1030 had to add another 30 feet to the med box just to get it set. (boat: '99 270 Hallett) with a 100' of 3//8 rope for the large and 100' rope and 15' chain for the med he should be SET for small craft warnings