PDA

View Full Version : Advice on bringing my dog to the lake??

4day!!
05-30-2006, 02:00 PM
I have a 7 month old lab that i want to start bringing to the lake. Does anybody have advice on what to bring, keeping the boat clean, protecting the upholestry from claws,etc. How hot is too hot be be bringing your dog out there for a full day. Do you normally find a beach so he can do his business(cleaning it up of course). Let me hear your stories and advice..

little rowe boat
05-30-2006, 02:01 PM
We use to put those doggy booties on our dog. They protected the boat and his pad when we were walking on hot concrete or asphalt.

Mrs. casean
05-30-2006, 02:06 PM
This weekend will be my first time taking my 5 y.o. lab out, we adopted her a 5 months ago and finally taking her out. We got her the booties from Watson's so she can go in the boat and not ruin anything, plus the hot ground. I got her a life jacket just so if she does get tired while swimming, I'll feel better knowing she can float :D Where we will be from now on has a beach so she can stay on so that will be great! Other than that, I'm new at having a river dog :D

MrsSigEpMock
05-30-2006, 02:19 PM
We have had our dog out there since he was about yours age. Get boots. It is great for having them on the boat and hot ground & gravel. We have a yellow lab who is great out there. He loves the channel and sand bar. We pick him up and set him on the hatch for entry. He needs ground to go potty on, although he pees directly in the channel like the rest of us! :p There is a dog park on the island side of the channel. We usually will make a stop there and let him run around in there. Bring extra towels and a leash that has no metal parts. We of course don't do this but I have learned from car shows that dogs like to go around corners and metal chains and gel/paint don't mix. Just bring lots of water for him and maybe something familiar like a rubber toy from home. Don't bring anything rawhide, personal experience, it rots after getting wet and sitting in the 100+ heat. (peeyou) :crossx:
If you really aren't afraid of getting yucky and think you dogs may be overheated, the normal temp for a dog is about 101-102. 104+ is a fever anything 106+ take to the vet. Keep him wet and in the shade and he should be OK for a whole day trip!!! They are fun to have but like kids, a lot of work and responsibility. It's great when you can teach them to distribute beverages too! Enjoy.

MrsSigEpMock
05-30-2006, 02:20 PM
ohh and most important, a small shop-vac for hair!!! :cry:

maxwedge
05-30-2006, 02:21 PM
On the off chance your lab swims with a largely non-effective overhand breast stroke, slapping/semi-drowning technique, instead of the more traditional dog paddle...you'll want to get her a life jacket. Just because they have webbed feet and champion water dog bloodlines, does't necssecarily mean they can swim well. Guess how I know?:p

MrsSigEpMock
05-30-2006, 02:23 PM
This weekend will be my first time taking my 5 y.o. lab out, we adopted her a 5 months ago and finally taking her out. We got her the booties from Watson's so she can go in the boat and not ruin anything, plus the hot ground. I got her a life jacket just so if she does get tired while swimming, I'll feel better knowing she can float :D Where we will be from now on has a beach so she can stay on so that will be great! Other than that, I'm new at having a river dog :D
Did you end up getting the thick soled ones? That guy is pretty cool (and gay). We used them this weekend just at the park. Mav's feet were so sore from the rocks in the park, he wouldn't go anywhere unless he could stay on the concrete. I hope you have fun with Lacy!

MrsSigEpMock
05-30-2006, 02:25 PM
On the off chance your lab swims with a largely non-effective overhand breast stroke, slapping/semi-drowning technique, instead of the more traditional dog paddle...you'll want to get her a life jacket. Just because they have webbed feet and champion water dog bloodlines, does't necssecarily mean they can swim well. Guess how I know?:p
We bought one but never use it. He is mostly in shallow water however he could use floaties on his tail. His but sinks. :rollside:

Mrs. casean
05-30-2006, 02:25 PM
That's funny! So I shouldn't worry if she swims like she's slapping the water and drowning :D A life jacket will just let me not worry about her getting tired after retrieving balls and rocks all day :D I got the floating kong tennis ball fetch toy and she loves it, so I'm sure she'll be wanting to play fetch all day :D

Mrs. casean
05-30-2006, 02:27 PM
Did you end up getting the thick soled ones? That guy is pretty cool (and gay). We used them this weekend just at the park. Mav's feet were so sore from the rocks in the park, he wouldn't go anywhere unless he could stay on the concrete. I hope you have fun with Lacy!
Yep! The red/black ones w/ the double straps. She's not so sure about things going on her feet, we'll try again tonight... but she's got to learn, no booties, no boat! She got excited yesterday when I got her travel bag (yes she has her own travel bag :rolleyes: :p ) and life jacket out, she was so happy to see it go in the trailer! So funny!

MrsSigEpMock
05-30-2006, 02:40 PM
Yep! The red/black ones w/ the double straps. She's not so sure about things going on her feet, we'll try again tonight... but she's got to learn, no booties, no boat! She got excited yesterday when I got her travel bag (yes she has her own travel bag :rolleyes: :p ) and life jacket out, she was so happy to see it go in the trailer! So funny!
Mav's are black with a little green trim and reflective velcro straps that wind all the way around and up over his ankle. He walks like a Tenn. Walker horse for about 15 ft. then is so distracted he forgets they are on there. One hot lap on burning asfault, and he loves them too.

kanedog
05-30-2006, 03:27 PM
I suggest putting on a long sleeve shirt and jeans and hanging out on your boat in the 100+ weather and then you can judge for yourself if it is a good idea to bring your dog to the lake. You may think dogs are smart, but unfortunately, where and what the owner is doing and not being left behind,ie-dog staying in boat in 100+ heat and not drinking water, will take precedence over comfort and animal safety issues. We must think for our dogs. You dont let your kids run around in the sun without sunscreen or sunglasses do you......I didnt think so. Why then would you do it to your dog.....You wouldnt put a fur coat on your kids for sun protection.....but its ok for your dog......I dont think so.
Since dogs also hear much better than we do and they arent able to tell us to turn it down, I also recommend cranking your stereo as loud as it will go and putting your ear right up to the speaker all day, then you can see if cranking your stereo with dog on board is a good idea.
You spent Im sure 30k or higher for your boat plus the 200+ per day for gas, insurance and food.....spend 20 bucks a day for a nice, cool, air conditioned kennel for your beloved pet....they cant say it, but if they could, they would be thanking you for it.
People will handle their dogs the way they feel is best for their dogs. Some will get treated to near death experiences and the owner has no clue. Some are treated very well and kudos to their owners.
I personally would not take my dog to the lake in anything over 80 but thats just me.
I will dismount the soapbox now.

mike37
05-30-2006, 03:36 PM
sorry but dogs belong at home not at the lake

Wicky
05-30-2006, 03:46 PM
According to ***boat forum rumor, keep it away from Frenchie!!

Tremor Girl
05-30-2006, 03:52 PM
We take our 11 1/2 mon. old lab with us but our next trip on the 11th will be her last trip until probably mid Sept. It's just too hot for them and they get heat stroke very easily. The best thing we have found for her paws are toddler size no-skid socks for kids. They won't slip around on her paws.The dog booties just won't stay on her and she hates them. We also bought 2 lg. rubber backed bath mats and put one on the swim step and one on the engine hatch. The life vest we bought her has 2 handles on the back so we can lift her in and out of the water and onto the swim step. We also put a big towel down on the floor of the boat. It really helps with the heat of the carpet and the hair. If we're going on a long boat ride and won't be stopping, we get her wet first and wet a towel which she likes to lay on in the cuddy.
Don't forget the sunscreen for her nose. Especially if she's yellow. Yes, their noses will get sunburned!
Good luck and post pics. of her first trip.
One last thing, take off your shoes and stand on any surface she's going to be walking on, ie. concrete, pavement, docks whatever. If it's hot on your feet, it's really hot on hers.

KACHINA KEN
05-30-2006, 03:53 PM
I dont have any advice but I will tell you a short story. I brought my dalmation MJ to the sandbar before and she had a blast with the other dogs, she loved the water even though she can't swim too well and loved all the new butts to sniff. Well I went to bring her out a month later and before I even got the boat launched I could tell she was having problems with the heat so I bailed back to my Havasu rental home and dropped her off back into the AC ( shes a 100% indoor dog ) then I headed back to windsor. She can still go to the sandbar but just not in the hotter months. Watch your dog, they will give you clues as to how they are coping with current conditions. Just asking shows you care so good job and good luck.

laveydayz
05-30-2006, 03:56 PM
Where are you guys getting these booties? Not sure what Watsons is. We have been wanting to find something like this.....

laveydayz
05-30-2006, 03:58 PM
Maybe when its 115 degrees but our dog loves the water and being with the family....home alone is no place for a dog!

V-DRIVE VIDEO
05-30-2006, 04:23 PM
I've been taking this lab to the river since he was 8 months old. Get some ear Flush. Ear infections are common with labs, I treat my dog anytime he gets near water or its a guranteed infection.
He didn't get them as often when he was younger he's 9 now. I never tried booties or floatation he never puntured any seats and if he got tired swimming he would just go to shore.
When he was 1 to 3 years old he could swim about 15 minutes without a break. I would stand waist deep and continually toss the ball until he got tired and swam past me to shore. After 2 minutes rest he could go another 15.
Have fun. :cool:
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Big%20air%20Jakedog.jpg
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Copy%20of%20DSCF1011.JPG

Phat Matt
05-30-2006, 04:34 PM
Our dog gets pissed if we leave him at the house when we are at the river. He knows where we are going once we start packing. Once we are in Havasu he knows he's going boating. If we go to the store he thinks we are ditching him and yelps and cries because he can't go. He loves being on the boat, on the water, in the water, on the beach etc. He has gone with us for years. He does need a lot of attention though. He has never tore up any of the seats in either boat with his claws. He has scratch the gel, but it buffs out. He gets to drink cold arrowhead water like us in the boat, or he drinks from the lake when he is out. He also eats what we eat.
He likes house music too. :D

riverroyal
05-30-2006, 04:38 PM
few weeks ago,,,dogs can be tough out there,no seats for us,stays on the floor,,we will need booties.she is going all summer,dogs live in arizona and nevada you know,they find shadehttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2371IMGP0356.JPG

OCMerrill
05-30-2006, 04:42 PM
I would be cautious with just chucking them into the water first time and all.
We have a new (now 8 mo old) lab that we introduced to Silverwood Lake over the Memorial weekend. Our last lab of 10 years just bolted for the water when a pup but our new pup did not. It took a good half a day to get her comfortable with walking in from the shore only to about head deep. Would not swim unless forced. We did not force the issue. We just held out, drank some cool ones, watched the kiddies and she made her way into the deep after about a full day of being Kid Jealous :)
On day two same reserved dog but after a couple of hours in she went. Retrieves a stick no issue unless she has to swim. Although now she will swim with the kids as long as they are in there.
We did not bring our boat to Silverwood for obvious reasons but like to RV camp with the kiddies there. Neat thing is Dogs are allowed everywhere except the roped off swimming beaches. In June we will be at the Bluewater for a week. We are taking her and keeping her in the evenings at a local Kennel that has Air cond.
We will most likely not take her again until Sept or October after it cools a bit. She is BLACK...and also my Lavey is well broken in from owners previous so unless I am walking across a parking lot I will leave her boots off.
In the boat she will have on her own PFD bought from Overtons.
I have to get wet at least every 15 min so our Lab can cool of as well.
Good Dog………….Thread :rollside:

78Southwind
05-30-2006, 05:25 PM
I have a 7 month old lab that i want to start bringing to the lake. Does anybody have advice on what to bring, keeping the boat clean, protecting the upholestry from claws,etc. How hot is too hot be be bringing your dog out there for a full day. Do you normally find a beach so he can do his business(cleaning it up of course). Let me hear your stories and advice..
We have taken our chocolate lab with us the last three trips to the river. She was four months old for the first trip and now she is six months old. So far she has loved every trip. However, this is all new to us so we have been watching her to see if the heat is bothering her. For now no problems but it hasn’t been over a 100* yet. If you travel to different areas I would have a back up plan if it’s too hot for the dog. Leave the dog back at the house with a sitter if you’re going to be gone all day or find a kennel in the area you’re traveling to. You can find sitters that you can drop your dog off at or they will come and check on your dog for you and feed her. I use Risen Star Kennels in Laughlin they are unbelievably reasonable and have a controlled climate for their kennel.
I bought my lab a life vest because we take her on the boat and the Sea Doo. I really like the Ruffwear vest because they have a puppy exchange program. You can find more information at http://www.doggydocks.com/index_files/Ruffwear.htm Hope this helps.

catman-do
05-30-2006, 05:26 PM
I have a beagle/ black lab mix thats about 5 mo old and we brought him out for the first time about 4 weeks ago and he loved the water. The only thing is that he loved it so much that he would jump off the hatch while the boat was moving slowly through coves. Puppies are unperdictable so I would get a life vest that fits your dog and keep it on the dog while moving until you are sure that it doesnt jump off at random momments. I also brought booties for the gell coat, and his favorite bed to lay on so he was as comfy as can be for his first time out.

78Southwind
05-30-2006, 05:32 PM
Here's a couple pictures.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1676Roxy_SeaDoo_Lake_Havasu.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1676Roxy_Southwind.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1676Roxy_River_Ready.jpg

mike37
05-30-2006, 07:03 PM
Maybe when its 115 degrees but our dog loves the water and being with the family....home alone is no place for a dog!
thats just fine if your out doing your own thing but if your dog is around other people its not no one like your dog as much as you do
and no one want your dog running though their day camp or around their boat no mater how friendly he is
they my smile and say he is cute but they are thinking get your dog away from my shit

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-31-2006, 07:46 AM
Here's a couple pictures.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1676Roxy_SeaDoo_Lake_Havasu.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1676Roxy_Southwind.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1676Roxy_River_Ready.jpg
Very cool!
Mike, I agree that most people do not want other folks' dogs running around their camp or boat. That is what leashes or long lines are for. Smaller groups are different, of course, and it all depends on how well the dog is trained. However, whoever said earlier that the dog would be happier in the kennel is wrong, at least when it comes to retrievers. The thing that makes them happiest is being with the pack (their family). And my dogs are outside dogs. It gets 100+ degrees at home, so I think they can handle 110 out there in the water. I probably would not take them in August though, but mine are black and chocolate.

Chico&Zeus
05-31-2006, 08:11 AM
Enough said.......... :)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/2494P1010007.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/2494P1010038.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/2494zeusandchico.jpg

Mrs. casean
05-31-2006, 08:21 AM
Where are you guys getting these booties? Not sure what Watsons is. We have been wanting to find something like this.....
Here is the link
Watson's (http://www.seniorpetproducts.com/product/watsons-allterrain-dog-shoes-p1405.html)
I put them on her for the first time last night, it was soooo funny! She hopped a little then got excited because we were laughing so hard and got over them. I kept making her walk w/ me around the house and run and she was sooo funny! She did fine in them. To put them on we had to distract her w/ a treat and that was all she was concerned w/. They have two straps and a reflective stripe around them and a sole for the bottoms so they don't slip on any slipper surface. This will be the first weekend w/ her at the river so we'll take all the advice mentioned here! Wet towel for the cuddy, big towel over the hatch and sunscreen for the nose!

RitcheyRch
05-31-2006, 08:31 AM
We have been thinking about taking our wiener dogs with us to the lake or the river. Definitely going to invest in some of thiose booties. The tough decision is finding a good fitting life vest for them.

Mrs. casean
05-31-2006, 08:59 AM
We have been thinking about taking our wiener dogs with us to the lake or the river. Definitely going to invest in some of thiose booties. The tough decision is finding a good fitting life vest for them.
Talk to Hot Diggity Dog, he's got two weiner dogs I think and takes them :D

buzzaro
05-31-2006, 09:04 AM
Until you know how he/she will react to the boat keep a close eye on him, I.E. jumping out unexpectedly. Of course....watch the prop.

Mrs. casean
05-31-2006, 09:10 AM
Until you know how he/she will react to the boat keep a close eye on him, I.E. jumping out unexpectedly. Of course....watch the prop.
The prop is my biggest concern! I'll keep the leash on her till I know how she'll be. Hopefully she'll just lay down once we start going and once we're on a beach, she'll be good to go run around.

RitcheyRch
05-31-2006, 09:12 AM
Will do and thanks.
Talk to Hot Diggity Dog, he's got two weiner dogs I think and takes them :D

bite me
05-31-2006, 10:30 AM
:yuk: Keep your dogs at home. Better for them and i am tired of seeing dogs crap at the sand bar and the owners dont care or are not paying attention and dont see it . just my 2cents

2Driver
05-31-2006, 10:56 AM
That is one of the best all time dog pics. too funny.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/2494zeusandchico.jpg
We took our Chesapeake with us everywhere from the day he was 4 months old. He got to know the coves and would exit the side of the boat once I came off plane (Jet boat) when we came into our regular cove. Couldn't think about a day on the boat and him locked in the back yard. He would jump and sit on the swim step while the boat was on the trailer if he sensed we were getting ready to go out.

RitcheyRch
05-31-2006, 11:04 AM
That picture is awesome.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/2494zeusandchico.jpg[QUOTE]

TRUMP TIGHT
05-31-2006, 11:07 AM
The bootys are a good idea for walking to the boat, but they come off real easy. I believe they have caps that they can put on your dogs nails that are a plastic, rubber type of material. Ask your vet. Our vet told us dogs can stand the heat just as well as us. You can also buy a water jug with a bowl on the end might be hard to find though. We have been taking our yellow lab and our dingo that just passed out to the lake for about 8 yrs. Dont let the dog drive a gulf cart! Ours almost smashed into the side of a brand new truck! And just be aware of where the dog is at all times. Our dingo swam about a .25 mile out one time after some ducks before we got the boat between her and the ducks!:rollside:

ZBODaytona
05-31-2006, 11:07 AM
My jack russel goes on the boat with me as long as I am staying on or near the boat. I don't leave him on it by himself. He loves the water and he does have a life jacket, just in case he were to fall out or if he gets tired when swimming. I carry something for him to drink out of, though he does have the lake or spring... My boat has a small cabin that he goes into sometimes, or he just goes under the seat for some shade, i have a sunbrella too, or he let's ya know it is time for a swim. He loves the boat and when going out for a day on the lake i couldn't imgine it without him and he gets mad when he can't go. When my lab was younger he would boat with us all the time, or swim but he is just to old to get in and out of the boat now.

mike37
05-31-2006, 04:03 PM
Very cool!
Mike, I agree that most people do not want other folks' dogs running around their camp or boat. That is what leashes or long lines are for. Smaller groups are different, of course, and it all depends on how well the dog is trained. However, whoever said earlier that the dog would be happier in the kennel is wrong, at least when it comes to retrievers. The thing that makes them happiest is being with the pack (their family). And my dogs are outside dogs. It gets 100+ degrees at home, so I think they can handle 110 out there in the water. I probably would not take them in August though, but mine are black and chocolate.
we would leave our dog with my parents
and thats like sending them to a luxury hotel my mom would spoil here with all the stuff dogs like but souled not really have like table scraps and all caned food
she would hang with my dad all day
shit some times she would look at us like your back already

Chico&Zeus
05-31-2006, 04:29 PM
That is one of the best all time dog pics. too funny.
That picture is awesome.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/2494zeusandchico.jpg[QUOTE]
They are pretty famous, they were on the cover of Overton's catalog, and on the Channel 3 News last summer....they love to put on their little show every weekend at Humbug Cove....Lake Pleasant.
I don't try to force my dogs onto anyone else, they stay on my boat or a couple of friends of ours that don't mind. I always pick up after them, and I am always watching them. If you are not a dog person, then stay away from us, if you love dogs (not FRENCHIE style) then come on over for a beer!!! We go to the lake to enjoy it, not to stir up shit and piss people off, if half of the people out there would take the time to train their kids to behave 1/10th as well as my dogs, the world would be a better place.
Rant over.

cola
05-31-2006, 04:47 PM
I suggest putting on a long sleeve shirt and jeans and hanging out on your boat in the 100+ weather and then you can judge for yourself if it is a good idea to bring your dog to the lake. You may think dogs are smart, but unfortunately, where and what the owner is doing and not being left behind,ie-dog staying in boat in 100+ heat and not drinking water, will take precedence over comfort and animal safety issues. We must think for our dogs. You dont let your kids run around in the sun without sunscreen or sunglasses do you......I didnt think so. Why then would you do it to your dog.....You wouldnt put a fur coat on your kids for sun protection.....but its ok for your dog......I dont think so.
Since dogs also hear much better than we do and they arent able to tell us to turn it down, I also recommend cranking your stereo as loud as it will go and putting your ear right up to the speaker all day, then you can see if cranking your stereo with dog on board is a good idea.
You spent Im sure 30k or higher for your boat plus the 200+ per day for gas, insurance and food.....spend 20 bucks a day for a nice, cool, air conditioned kennel for your beloved pet....they cant say it, but if they could, they would be thanking you for it.
People will handle their dogs the way they feel is best for their dogs. Some will get treated to near death experiences and the owner has no clue. Some are treated very well and kudos to their owners.
I personally would not take my dog to the lake in anything over 80 but thats just me.
Your a Crack Pot. Talk about no clue.

cola
05-31-2006, 04:49 PM
Well then, the same can be said for kids. :yuk:

TRUMP TIGHT
05-31-2006, 04:54 PM
This whole thing is bull$hit! I was told by my vet that they feel heat about the same as us and they are fine as long as you are!!

Havasu1986
05-31-2006, 04:54 PM
We go to the lake to enjoy it, not to stir up shit and piss people off, if half of the people out there would take the time to train their kids to behave 1/10th as well as my dogs, the world would be a better place.
I couldn't agree more. We have 2 Australian Sheperd who have been going with us to Havasu for 11 years now. They go all summer long. You don't see them splashing a nice clean boat or throwing rocks or sand at our boat. We go to Park Moabi where its more dog friendly with the rangers and people. Put a leash on your out of control kid and I may think about putting one on my dogs.

TRUMP TIGHT
05-31-2006, 04:58 PM
Oh, and when i ask my lab if he wants to go to Havasu he starts jumping around and runs staight for the truck! Please tell me what dog owner would not give their dog water at the lake?! Dont make some half a$$ comments with no truth then DUCK OUT so you cant attempt to justify the BULL$HIT you stated!

mike37
05-31-2006, 05:03 PM
Well then, the same can be said for kids. :yuk:
shit I cant find a place to leave the kids the dog is easy
a well trained dog is cool like yours I never even notice him
Phat mats dog is great to just hangs out and doesn't trash every thing and jump on every one

cola
05-31-2006, 05:05 PM
My dog would hate me if I left her at home. If your dog likes the water, take it every chance you can. :cool:
Late, Mike

cola
05-31-2006, 05:07 PM
shit I cant find a place to leave the kids the dog is easy
a well trained dog is cool like yours I never even notice him
Phat mats dog is great to just hangs out and doesn't trash every thing and jump on every one
Thats why we let you bring your son. He's cool. :)

mike37
05-31-2006, 05:12 PM
Thats why we let you bring your son. He's cool. :)
he is pretty well boat trained :D

mike37
05-31-2006, 05:15 PM
you all gotta admit there are a lot of people that have dog that run ramped
and it ruins your trip cus your always keep watch for there dog not to trash your stuff
and its not the dogs fault

OCMerrill
05-31-2006, 05:17 PM
This whole thing is bull$hit! I was told by my vet that they feel heat about the same as us and they are fine as long as you are!!
Were not talking Husky's but Labs and short hair dogs for the most part. I have been told this many times over the course of 40 years and 5 dogs. I have never had a problem at the river. I never lock them up in a hot car, my animals are treated as one of my children (for the most part) with similar care given.
If your hot...they are hot...it's the river...get in the water. Simple.
I don't let my dog run loose all over the sandbars and bug other people. I don't go looking for issues with others either. But, I have to agree with Mike here, I see it all the time. Once it was a pit bull and the ass would not keep him contained. Nice dog or not I don't want to take that chance. We had words...I Left. Not worth it. This still does not mean all dogs stay at home. Irresponsible owners should!

Chico&Zeus
05-31-2006, 05:32 PM
The dogs have never messed up my boat, our friends 8 yr old daughter did throw a temper tantrum and dump a whole jar of cheeze whiz on my carpet though. :mad:

TRUMP TIGHT
05-31-2006, 05:34 PM
Were not talking Husky's but Labs and short hair dogs for the most part. I have been told this many times over the course of 40 years and 5 dogs. I have never had a problem at the river. I never lock them up in a hot car, my animals are treated as one of my children (for the most part) with similar care given.
If your hot...they are hot...it's the river...get in the water. Simple.
I don't let my dog run loose all over the sandbars and bug other people. I don't go looking for issues with others either. But, I have to agree with Mike here, I see it all the time. Once it was a pit bull and the ass would not keep him contained. Nice dog or not I don't want to take that chance. We had words...I Left. Not worth it. This still does not mean all dogs stay at home. Irresponsible owners should!
Very true! Unless we are in a cove the dogs pretty much stay on a leash. I have had to chase my dingo down 1 too many times! She loved to go after anything smaller then her! The biggest issue we have had with our dogs was when my dingo was sitting on the back of the golf cart and my lab decided to lay down...RIGHT ON THE THROTTLE! The cart misses the front of a brand new silverado by a foot! My dingo jumps into the open door of the truck and my lab and cart smash into a tree on the side of a hill!!:D:D:D:D No dogs were hurt but if i had that on tape i could have won 10k on AFHV!!

GMFL
05-31-2006, 05:41 PM
Here is the link
Watson's (http://www.seniorpetproducts.com/product/watsons-allterrain-dog-shoes-p1405.html)
Those booties look like they are made out of neoprene, ie. wetsuit material. Won't that heat up the dog's paw? I thought that part of their cooling (sweating) was through their feet? I'm often wrong though.. I know that I saw some at REI that were rubber on the bottom but a mesh material on top. I'll try to find again....

GMFL
05-31-2006, 05:44 PM
Here is the link, I saw them in the store so I'm not sure if these are the same as I saw before, anyway, another option
http://www.rei.com/category/40003458.htm

HTRDLNCN
05-31-2006, 06:00 PM
My Nakita has been going to Lake Travis and to the ocean down here in Florida since she was a pup,,when she gets even a bit hot she will jump in the water or find shade.. I also make sure she always has plenty of clean water to drink..
She has never overheated herself. She loves the water and boatriding and people flock to her when I take her. Its like travelling with a celebrity,LOL..
http://www.hotrodlincoln.org/malwater.jpg

Phat Matt
05-31-2006, 08:16 PM
you all gotta admit there are a lot of people that have dog that run ramped
and it ruins your trip cus your always keep watch for there dog not to trash your stuff
and its not the dogs fault
We always have Buddy tied up and he gets protective of his area. We tell people to watch thier dogs around him (Bud's on a short leash) and they always say it's ok. I tell them Bud is dominant and doesn't like to share his toys, then they still don't listen and Bud ends up telling them. :) He unleashes the street dog in him. :jawdrop:

Phat Matt
05-31-2006, 08:23 PM
Those booties look like they are made out of neoprene, ie. wetsuit material. Won't that heat up the dog's paw? I thought that part of their cooling (sweating) was through their feet? I'm often wrong though.. I know that I saw some at REI that were rubber on the bottom but a mesh material on top. I'll try to find again....
They do cool off through thier paws. That is why sometimes you will see them put thier foot in the water dish.

BOBALOO
05-31-2006, 08:49 PM
They do cool off through thier paws. That is why sometimes you will see them put thier foot in the water dish.
This is the same reason why I am always putting my paws in the ice chest:D Gotta stay cool :cool:

hava life
05-31-2006, 08:52 PM
There is a new pet store in town that you can walk to from the new condos in the channel. It's called Scraps and they have all kinds of stuff for dogs and cats. I did see the booties for dog and also they have a lot of water toys. the store is behind China Buffet and next to Shooters. I have parked the boat in the channel by the condos and walked across the srteet to it with my dog. They also let you bring your pets into the store which makes it real nice on the hot days. Check it out sometime.

riverby5
06-01-2006, 01:58 PM
my weiner dogs have been going to the river for years. they love the water and are good watch dogs for those coveted coves we find early. just dip them in the water on occasion and they dig it....and dont forget the life jackets...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/3413boat_pix_023a-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/3413boat_pix_025a-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/3413RIVER_021a-med.JPG

RitcheyRch
06-02-2006, 04:00 PM
Those look like my dogs. Here is a picture of mine.
my weiner dogs have been going to the river for years. they love the water and are good watch dogs for those coveted coves we find early. just dip them in the water on occasion and they dig it....and dont forget the life jackets...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/3413boat_pix_023a-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/3413boat_pix_025a-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/3413RIVER_021a-med.JPG

Mrs. casean
06-05-2006, 12:37 PM
An update on the paw booties I got for Lacey... This weekend was her first time at the river w/ us and she had a BLAST! She was in the water nonstop! She walked right into the water and started swimming! She's done it before obviously or like everyone says, it's a natural instinct for labs! It was so cute! We only put the shoes on her when we walked from the trailer down to the water because the gravel was just too hot for paws to walk on. I know if I can't walk barefoot, she can't either! She started running w/ them on like she knew these were so much better than bare paws on the hot gravel! It was hilarious! She was very patient w/ us putting them on.
So we get to the water and everyone down there thought they were the coolest things! One guy said his dog was whining so bad the day before when they were walking back to their place from the beach and the dog just stopped becuase it was just too hot for him paw. Enough said, he will be buying them for his dog he said :D
Back to Lacey, we put her in the boat just once since we were taking people around and sking tubing so she stayed on the beach and in the water w/ my friends when we'd leave and they played w/ her... but she did great in the boat. When she went in the boat, I put her life jacket on, which looks just like the ones HDD has on his dogs but large of course :D This made it so easy to get her in the boat and hold on to her when we were moving. We didn't put the shoes on her since we we were just going to go for a quick ride and I put towels on everything she could walk on... She just laid down and put her head down for the most part till we stopped then she had to check it all out again.
About the booties I got, from Watson's (www.seniorpetproducts):
The booties are made of a wet suit material. Not sure if they would make her hot or not becuase the only time she had them on dry was to walk from the trailer to the water and back... she did have them on a bit in the water and swam fine w/ them on... but then they kinda turned backwards so it was time to take them off... but for her first time out, she did great! She played hard and slept hard each night :D She slept whole way home yesterday, last night and this morning she still was tired! So funny! Just thought I'd share now that we tried out the booties on her and had a dog at the river... I think the booties were the greatest thing especially when they have to walk on hot surfaces. Thanks Mrs. Sigepmock for getting me in on those!!! Lacey is thankful too I'm sure :D

Tremor Girl
06-05-2006, 01:40 PM
An update on the paw booties I got for Lacey... This weekend was her first time at the river w/ us and she had a BLAST! She was in the water nonstop! She walked right into the water and started swimming! She's done it before obviously or like everyone says, it's a natural instinct for labs! It was so cute! We only put the shoes on her when we walked from the trailer down to the water because the gravel was just too hot for paws to walk on. I know if I can't walk barefoot, she can't either! She started running w/ them on like she knew these were so much better than bare paws on the hot gravel! It was hilarious! She was very patient w/ us putting them on.
So we get to the water and everyone down there thought they were the coolest things! One guy said his dog was whining so bad the day before when they were walking back to their place from the beach and the dog just stopped becuase it was just too hot for him paw. Enough said, he will be buying them for his dog he said :D
Back to Lacey, we put her in the boat just once since we were taking people around and sking tubing so she stayed on the beach and in the water w/ my friends when we'd leave and they played w/ her... but she did great in the boat. When she went in the boat, I put her life jacket on, which looks just like the ones HDD has on his dogs but large of course :D This made it so easy to get her in the boat and hold on to her when we were moving. We didn't put the shoes on her since we we were just going to go for a quick ride and I put towels on everything she could walk on... She just laid down and put her head down for the most part till we stopped then she had to check it all out again.
About the booties I got, from Watson's (www.seniorpetproducts):
The booties are made of a wet suit material. Not sure if they would make her hot or not becuase the only time she had them on dry was to walk from the trailer to the water and back... she did have them on a bit in the water and swam fine w/ them on... but then they kinda turned backwards so it was time to take them off... but for her first time out, she did great! She played hard and slept hard each night :D She slept whole way home yesterday, last night and this morning she still was tired! So funny! Just thought I'd share now that we tried out the booties on her and had a dog at the river... I think the booties were the greatest thing especially when they have to walk on hot surfaces. Thanks Mrs. Sigepmock for getting me in on those!!! Lacey is thankful too I'm sure :D
I was wondering how she did. I was going to send you a PM and ask. Isn't it great watching them enjoying themselves so much? I love to watch Lola swim. The life vest is the best for getting them in and out of the boat. Took us a while to figure out the best way to lift her out and the whole side of my leg is still covered with scrateches and bruises from a week ago but once I figured it out, it was all good. I'm glad she did so well :cool:

MrsSigEpMock
06-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Thanks Mrs. Sigepmock for getting me in on those!!! Lacey is thankful too I'm sure :D
I'm so glad they worked out for ya! Maverick's are a couple years older but still in great condition. On Mem weekend he wore them around the park because it is all really hot Concrete and Asfault. When we got to the dirt section, he was actually digging in the dirt with them and no malfunctions. He knew his paws were being saved. We take them off when we get to a beach. The only time he really has his on is walking on hot/sharp stuff and the boat. It sounds like Lacey is a pro! Congrats!
And yes dogs handle the heat fine as long as they have water & shade. They are designed to run at a few degrees hotter than humans since there is yet a dog to have invented A/C. Our's too throws a fit if we don't take him with us. He grabs his river gear (water balls and toys)and puts it by our stuff when we are packing!!

Mrs. casean
06-05-2006, 02:23 PM
I'm so glad they worked out for ya! Maverick's are a couple years older but still in great condition. On Mem weekend he wore them around the park because it is all really hot Concrete and Asfault. When we got to the dirt section, he was actually digging in the dirt with them and no malfunctions. He knew his paws were being saved. We take them off when we get to a beach. The only time he really has his on is walking on hot/sharp stuff and the boat. It sounds like Lacey is a pro! Congrats!
And yes dogs handle the heat fine as long as they have water & shade. They are designed to run at a few degrees hotter than humans since there is yet a dog to have invented A/C. Our's too throws a fit if we don't take him with us. He grabs his river gear (water balls and toys)and puts it by our stuff when we are packing!!
She totally knew her paws were being saved! It was so funny when she finally got to walk on the gravel w/ them on... she was back to normal and happy! And even though she has a black nose, she scuffed it the day before we left so I kept zone 70 suncreen on it and she was good! She loved it! She was a pro! She was fun out there! The only time she was bothered by the heat was when we came up from the water around 1:30 yesterday and it was so hot she went straight under the trailer in the shade and put her head down on her paws... so we turned the truck on, put her in the kennel (she drives in the kennel in the truck :D) and was still wet so she was nice and cool in there... otherwise we kept her in the trailer in the A/C while we were up away from teh water. She did great! Now we have to get Maverick and Lacey together at the sandbar!! That'd be so fun!

Mrs. casean
06-05-2006, 02:26 PM
I was wondering how she did. I was going to send you a PM and ask. Isn't it great watching them enjoying themselves so much? I love to watch Lola swim. The life vest is the best for getting them in and out of the boat. Took us a while to figure out the best way to lift her out and the whole side of my leg is still covered with scrateches and bruises from a week ago but once I figured it out, it was all good. I'm glad she did so well :cool:
Thanks for thinking of us! Yes she was great! Had sooo much fun! She gets to go back in 3 weeks. That life jacket is great for getting her in and out. We just put her on the swim step and I was in the boat and had her get on the hatch and come on in and lay between driver/passenger seat. She was great! We did have to figure out how to get her out... that's a little more tricky. But we figured a way and she just swam to the beach from there :D She really enjoyed herself... and was sooo happy to finally go w/ us!

MrsSigEpMock
06-05-2006, 02:35 PM
She really enjoyed herself... and was sooo happy to finally go w/ us!
You will now never be able to leave her without getting the puppy stink-eye from her. :crossx:

Mrs. casean
06-05-2006, 02:37 PM
You will now never be able to leave her without getting the puppy stink-eye from her. :crossx:
I'm afraid of that :D

MrsSigEpMock
06-05-2006, 02:39 PM
I'm afraid of that :D
It'll break your heart too! :cry: :cry:

Mr. Crusader 83
06-05-2006, 02:47 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2854dolce.jpg
i took my chicks dog out for the first time he has ever been near water and he loved it.

Mrs. casean
06-05-2006, 02:52 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2854dolce.jpg
i took my chicks dog out for the first time he has ever been near water and he loved it.
That's so cute! :D

Mr. Crusader 83
06-05-2006, 03:02 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2854643886151_l.jpg

Mr. Crusader 83
06-05-2006, 03:02 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2854643886151_l.jpg

79Challenger
06-05-2006, 03:38 PM
I have a chocolate and a black lab. The black lab (Miles) was born at the river and introduced to the river at 4 weeks. His son, the chocolate (Humphrey) was in the river at 3 months. Both of them live for the river and have never had a need for a life jacket. I once saw MIles swim an entire hour before finding just the right rock to dive for!
I picked up some booties from the Cabelas catalog. Neoprene with a cool camo print. They are also alot snugger fitting than the others posted here. I originally wanted them for Glamis, but they quickly became a river staple.
We recently got a Boston Terrier(Kaya). She is 5 months. She loves all the dogs at the river, but couldn't care less about the water. A jacket will be a must as she is a water slapper.

nordy racer
06-05-2006, 04:07 PM
This is Lightning (2 years old).. this photo was taken for his first boat outing this past Jan..
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e265/nordyracer87/000_1256.jpg
after about 10 minutes, he never uses the lifejacket or the booties anymore..
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e265/nordyracer87/Lsleeping.jpg
Now this is Minnee (only 3 months) this was her first outing on the boat this past weekend.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e265/nordyracer87/morepics52506008.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e265/nordyracer87/boat011.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e265/nordyracer87/boat013.jpg

Tremor Girl
06-05-2006, 04:23 PM
OMG! They are so cute! I really want another puppy or older rescue so Lola can have a playmate but I think I want to be married more :crossx: :p

nordy racer
06-05-2006, 04:26 PM
OMG! They are so cute! I really want another puppy or older rescue so Lola can have a playmate but I think I want to be married more :crossx: :p
yea i know that.. i can see why we don't have kids.. this puppy is killing me :220v: but cuteness always wins.

Tremor Girl
06-05-2006, 04:39 PM
OHHH puppy hood is so much fun :yuk: We're just getting out of the teenage rebellion stage with ours. She'll be a year old next week and is FINALLY starting to mellow just a little bit :D I spent the last year telling hubby, "I'm to old for this"! :cool:

nordy racer
06-05-2006, 06:04 PM
I spent the last year telling hubby, "I'm to old for this"! :cool:
let me re-quote this .. I have spent the last month telling the wifey " i told you we shouldn't have picked a puppy" and your quote "i'm to old for this SHI*."

Tremor Girl
06-06-2006, 06:06 AM
But they're so worth it! Just look at that sweet innocent face on that baby of yours. I bet she's a perfect angel :D :D :D