PDA

View Full Version : City Council Discussion of Bridgewater Channel Issues

bigkyle
05-30-2006, 08:55 PM
Anyone attend tonight's city council meeting? Was wondering what issues were brought up and the direction given to staff. I know many of us are extremely interested in what these clowns will do next. Here's tonight's agenda.
LAKE HAVASU CITY COUNCIL SPECIAL MEETING
TUESDAY, MAY 30, 2006, 5:00 P.M.
LAKE HAVASU CITY POLICE FACILITY
2360 MCCULLOCH BOULEVARD
www.ci.lake-havasu-city.az.us
1. CALL TO ORDER
2. INVOCATION
3. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
4. ROLL CALL
5. CALL TO THE PUBLIC
6. DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION RE: SEWER MINIMUM BILL ANALYSIS FOR RESIDENTIAL UNITS
7. CANVASS/DECLARE/ADOPT MAY 16, 2006, SPECIAL ELECTION RETURNS
8. DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION RE: BRIDGEWATER CHANNEL ISSUES
9. CALL TO THE PUBLIC
10. ADJOURN

Havasu_Dreamin
05-31-2006, 07:22 AM
Council concerns clash
BY MICHAEL HAYS
Tuesday, May 30, 2006 10:52 PM MDT
One could say Lake Havasu City Council members do not exactly come to agreement on the issue of Bridgewater Channel problems over long holiday weekends.
There's the issue of Lake Havasu City's reputation:
Vice Mayor Vall Striyle: “I think we have to be tourist-friendly at all times. If anyone goes down there on a holiday weekend, they know what they're going to see.”
Councilman Allan Sturtevant: “We have a reputation all over the state. Do we want a family-friendly city, or do we want what we've seen down there? Some of the young ladies had them [bathing suits] painted on.”
Then there is the issue of having enough police officers on the lake on surrounding parks:
Mayor Harvey Jackson: “You're going to have vacancies on the staff.” [referring to current police officer openings.]
Acting Chief Dan Doyle: “I'd just like to not have eight vacancies.”
Doyle previously had stated that additional staff brought in from Kingman and Bullhead City helped tremendously this year. In response to Councilman Hinman's original question of whether or not the department has adequate staffing for busy weekends, Doyle said more are needed, particularly when the issue is understood in a ‘visitors per officer ratio' frame.
Council members offered some possible solutions:
Councilman Schilling: “It's not going to change overnight. We need to go where they sleep (hotels), where they launch their boats (ramps), and where they buy their alcohol to get information out there about our laws on indecent exposure, underage drinking, and other problems we're seeing.”
Councilwoman Aldridge: “Is it possible to do some increased signage specifically addressing indecent exposure? I don't' think it will take very long for people to get the message if that charge goes on their record.”
At the end of the night, under the persistence of Jackson, the City Council walked out of the meeting with some concrete direction for future weekends.
Members approved a motion to direct the city attorney to adopt an ordinance concerning the removal of loud, obnoxious revelers from the channel or surrounding parks. After testimony by Doyle, it became apparent that the officers' job would be easier if the groups causing problems and inciting others could be forced to leave the park.
Another motion, which would mandate a 15-foot space between boats mooring in the channel, was defeated on a 4-3 vote. The LHC Chamber of Commerce opposed the 15-foot idea as well.
And some more for you.....
“Very Disappointed” Mayor
LAKE HAVASU CITY, AZ - Mayor Harvey Jackson repeatedly tried to get some significant motions passed in council last night regarding alcohol, mooring and other issues. However, he could not muster the votes needed with one exception. A unanimous decision (7-0) resulted in calling for the city attorney to adopt an ordinance giving police permission to evict unruly persons and their boats from the channel for “unacceptable behavior.”
On Saturday, Jackson told TSN he wanted to see more spacing between the tightly knit beached boats. However, a motion calling for a 15-foot space between the boats was defeated 4-3. Afterwards, the mayor told TSN he was, "very disappointed that the council has decided in effect to effectuate essentially no controls - the proposed ordinance will be like a drop in the bucket."

Ziggy
05-31-2006, 07:34 AM
removal of loud, obnoxious revelers from the channel
This makes sense..........take away the bad apple and all the good ones stay healthy and happy....
Alot more sense than punishing everyone for that one or two bad apples.

Havasu_Dreamin
05-31-2006, 07:56 AM
This makes sense..........take away the bad apple and all the good ones stay healthy and happy....
Alot more sense than punishing everyone for that one or two bad apples.
Of course it makes sense.....which means they won't do it.....

Phat Matt
05-31-2006, 08:05 AM
How could you even enforce a 15 foot space between boats?

ChumpChange
05-31-2006, 08:09 AM
Do you really need me to answer this question for you?
A tape measure.
Or a 15' Bayliner that drives around all day.

Todd969
05-31-2006, 08:12 AM
I think the mooring on the resort side is already spaced. It's the island side that would be difficult.

RiverDave
05-31-2006, 08:16 AM
That's a pretty "broad" statement there.. When I think of "unruly" I think of a bunch of gang members that don't belong out at the river anyways walking around acting like hardasses looking for a fight. Somebody enforcing it might think it's some girls dancing on the engine hatch of a boat though?
RD

91nordic29
05-31-2006, 11:00 AM
That's a pretty "broad" statement there.. When I think of "unruly" I think of a bunch of gang members that don't belong out at the river anyways walking around acting like hardasses looking for a fight. Somebody enforcing it might think it's some girls dancing on the engine hatch of a boat though?
RD
true. who's definition of unruly? would be my luck to decide to let my hair down (which i RARELY do, ;)) and get the group 86'd for being unruly!

Mohave Vice
05-31-2006, 12:29 PM
RD
Agreed!!!!

Havasu_Dreamin
05-31-2006, 12:34 PM
That brings up another question, who is then entitled to use of that 15 foot space? The two boat owners? Can just anyone walk down from shore and use that space? I can foresee that space causing more problems than already exist.

Ziggy
05-31-2006, 12:36 PM
RD
The Loud and Obnoxious Revelers...........so it depends on if Harvey Jackson is on the Police force or RD :D :D Definitions are going to vary vastly...but we all kinda know whats right and whats not....
91nordic29 letting her hair down might be interesting way to test the theory ;) :D