PDA

View Full Version : First Trip Out = First Lesson Learned

buzzaro
05-31-2006, 08:54 AM
Lesson #1: Put the damn drain plug in.....Before
you launch!!! :mad:
Its a really long 3 seconds after you step in water while tying up the boat till you realize the drain plug is still in the glove box. Also the lake is at least 20 degress colder at 7:30 AM. :eek:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-31-2006, 08:55 AM
Lol

Mrs.HLB
05-31-2006, 09:06 AM
Lesson #1: Put the damn drain plug in.....Before
you launch!!! :mad:
Its a really long 3 seconds after you step in water while tying up the boat till you realize the drain plug is still in the glove box. Also the lake is at least 20 degress colder at 7:30 AM. :eek:
lmao!! You will never forget again.. :rollside:
Mrs.HLB

buzzaro
05-31-2006, 09:08 AM
lmao!! You will never forget again.. :rollside:
Mrs.HLB
Oddly enough that was the 3rd or 4th thing I said, the 1st 2 or 3 you can guess Im sure.

Hardly Satisfied
05-31-2006, 09:10 AM
good idea

Mrs. Bordsmnj
05-31-2006, 09:16 AM
We have done it a couple times. :rolleyes: :)

Cheap Thrills
05-31-2006, 09:22 AM
Ha ! I bet that there's not a single person here ( that actually owns a boat) that can say they've never done that. :)
I usually try to cover it up with something like
" My bilge was a little dirty and I was just rinseing it out." :p
C.T.

drbones
05-31-2006, 09:41 AM
Yeppers been there done that..have the t-shirt to prove it :)
the dock was about 1/4 mile away from ramp..
screamed up to dock... tied up..ran (read as walked) the 1/4 mile back to truck at ramp...drive back...to river lot.
Discover boat setting on bottom..still tied to dock.... hmmmm... guess the water stayed out till the boat was docked.... now where did I put that drain plug??? So from then on...When the plug is out..it is tied on the keyring...So I see it before launching.. :P

H20 Toie
05-31-2006, 09:43 AM
HA HA i haven't done it (yet). besides i never take it out of the boat and i always keep a spare one just in case.

JetBoatRich
05-31-2006, 09:50 AM
Sounds like you learned the hard way :mad:

Kilrtoy
05-31-2006, 09:51 AM
YEP, Been there done that

GunninGopher
05-31-2006, 09:52 AM
I have never unhooked the boat from the trailer without putting the plug in, but I've come close (not counting jet skis!). Nearly everyone I've ever talked to has walked off with them out before.
I keep a couple lying around, just in case. You don't want to have to look for it. In my old jet the in-use plug would fit perfectly into a hole in the steering wheel and I kept a spare tied to the engine.
In my newer one, the hole is about 2" above the bilge, so I never take it out. I do keep a spare under the rear jumper seat.

Ziggy
05-31-2006, 10:12 AM
Once, long ago, is all it took........never forgot it since......
But I won't mention leaving the flush line apart in my old jet once :rolleyes:

Garrddogg
05-31-2006, 10:22 AM
I dont want to talk about it!
Ok did it once too! :idea:

RitcheyRch
05-31-2006, 10:25 AM
I havent done it to the boat yet. I did it a few times to the old Sea-Doos. I leave mine in the boat and have spares in the boat.
HA HA i haven't done it (yet). besides i never take it out of the boat and i always keep a spare one just in case.

460 jus getn it
05-31-2006, 10:32 AM
Point in case, why i put the plug in when ever i gas up...Its a part of the check list at the station........................................

OCMerrill
05-31-2006, 10:45 AM
Oh the joys of boating...
I have honestly never done that. I have a mental list of things I do before I launch and do this over and over pretty well. No issues going in...read on...
But its not all good...I have left the f'n 1/2 wacker down more than once over several different boats upon retrieval. One time I even broke a casting on a Cobra unit I had going bump, bump, bump up the ramp.
Dah..whats dragging...I am an ass. Now I place a note on the steering wheel of the tow vehicle. I have been outdrive jack-ass free for almost 2 years.
Now my kids get in on the action every time so my 7 year old daughter checks it.

Hallett19
05-31-2006, 11:03 AM
1st time out I left the plug out,Pyramid, pulled the boat back, off went my trailer up the ramp, I idled out through the no wake zone near the docks, clicked on my bilge pump, water.... uhhh, I just put the boat in !! :jawdrop: Look in the bilge, LOTS OF WATER... oh $hit !! Start flying through the no wake zone, yelling "I'm sinking, get my friend in the black Explorer" !!!!, people are running after my friend's truck to get him back, clearing room on the ramp, the whole back of my boat is full of water and I'm going dowwwwn. Friend brings the trailer back, get the boat up, drained it, PUT THE PLUG IN, and put the boat back on the water and had a great day :D

T-56
05-31-2006, 11:19 AM
I keep mine on the trailer lock.
Step 1...Unlock trailer
Step 2...Put plug in boat
Step 3...Hook truck to trailer
I decided on this easy 3 step procedure after forgetting the plug 3 TIMES!!!
What can I say, I'm an idiot so I had to make my boat "idiot resistant".

NautiTwins
05-31-2006, 11:23 AM
Ha ! I bet that there's not a single person here ( that actually owns a boat) that can say they've never done that. :)
C.T.
We must be brothers. That is the same exact excuse I use. Especially when my wife would look back at me and you know she was just thinking, What a dumb ass!! LMAO

MRSDRMCAT
05-31-2006, 11:31 AM
We came as close as close can get. We were backing the boat down and by the grace of God some volunteer in a golf cart pulled next to us. He said "are you planning on taking the boat in the water?" and we were like uhhhhhh yyyeahhhh (since were backing down the trailer) He simply stated " you may want to put your plugs in" and drove off while are mouths were hanging open! Now every time we are about to back it down we do the check off list!

HMF'er
05-31-2006, 11:37 AM
We came as close as close can get. We were backing the boat down and by the grace of God some volunteer in a golf cart pulled next to us. He said "are you planning on taking the boat in the water?" and we were like uhhhhhh yyyeahhhh (since were backing down the trailer) He simply stated " you may want to put your plugs in" and drove off while are mouths were hanging open! Now every time we are about to back it down we do the check off list!
You know the extra pairs of mens speedos on your boat could be used to plug up the bilge hole.

buzzaro
05-31-2006, 11:38 AM
C.T.
LOL that was the first thing i said to my wife :D

Daytona100
05-31-2006, 11:45 AM
I have 3 of them. Never take them out. Works for me.

Jyruiz
05-31-2006, 11:46 AM
I never forgotten on either boats I have owned, but I did do it once on a PWC. I also keep a spare one in my bag just in case, even though the current one is chained on.

gmocnik
05-31-2006, 12:07 PM
I have 3 of them. Never take them out. Works for me.
same here, never take them out, however......
was wondering why sponson bildge pumps were pushing out some water last weekend....plugs were about 3/4 turn from falling out!!!
might want to check 'em every now and then!!!!

T-56
05-31-2006, 12:10 PM
was wondering why sponson bildge pumps were pushing out some water last weekend....plugs were about 3/4 turn from falling out!!!
Green LocTite works pretty good...
once.

Chubby4Life
05-31-2006, 12:26 PM
I also keep the plug on the key ring and have not forgot it "yet", but I have been an outdrive jacka$$ twice. The first time was a rook mistake and the second time the trim pump crapped out!

Dave C
05-31-2006, 12:46 PM
I don't take em out either. But luckily this boat doesn't leak like some other boats I have owned. :mad:
even if it did, I would drain the water and then put the plug back in.

Daytona100
05-31-2006, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the Heads-up Ill have to give them a glance every once in a while.

Havasu_Dreamin
05-31-2006, 12:52 PM
Ha ! I bet that there's not a single person here ( that actually owns a boat) that can say they've never done that.
Never done it as I never remove the plug.