PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a gauge!!!!

Froggystyle
06-01-2006, 07:40 AM
Let's say you have a space in the dash for a single gauge. You need to put a gauge there for balance and appearance and there is a whole lot of good things out there you can monitor. Some more pertinent than others. Problem with a lot of gauges is, if you don't know what to calibrate from, the gauge is no good. EGT for example... What would be considered too high for a pump gas, twin turbo motor with water cooled exhaust?
In any case, we have whittled our choices down to three... all are useful, perhaps the folks on here would rather have one than the others.
The first we are considering is an ambient air temperature gauge. This would be a thermometer for the inside of the boat to give an idea what the temperature is. With kids and sunscreen etc... it is nice to know exactly how hot it is getting and be able to react accordingly. There is a world of difference between 110 and 118, would anyone be interested in this gauge?
The second would be a cylinder head temperature gauge. This works in conjunction with our oil temperature, cooled oil temperature and water temperature gauge. It gives you one more bit of information about the physical temperature of the cylinder head. It is measured from the front face of the head, and could give a reading to allow you to get a head start on recognizing a situation that could lead to detonation with bad gas. The computer already adjusts for different exhaust gas temperatures, so this would be a way to manual monitor the head temp.
The third is a clock. I personally don't wear a watch at the river, and get sick of digging into my bag to find my cell phone to get an idea of what time it is. Would anyone be interested in a cool matching clock?
What'll it be? It is up to you guys. All three gauges would match all of the others and look like part of the gang.

Phat Matt
06-01-2006, 07:42 AM
How about a depth gauge? Do you already have one of those?
And I don't want to hear I don't need one because I have dual jets. :p

phebus
06-01-2006, 07:44 AM
How about a fuel flow gauge? You could use it to determine your best cruising speed for maximum range, and you would know your actual fuel use, rather then guessing how much fuel you had left if you were running low.

Froggystyle
06-01-2006, 07:45 AM
For the record, the other gauges already included are the following...
GPS Speedo
Tachometer
Oil Temperature (pan)
Oil Temperature (cooler)
Oil Pressure
Water temperature
Boost
Voltmeter
Fuel
Drive oil pressure
Drive oil temperature
It isn't like we are missing a key one or anything... ;)

Froggystyle
We don't need one because we have dual jets. ;)
And how about you answer the damn question... :D

WYRD
mine has a clock but I never use it cause everytime I turn off the batteries you have to reset it, more of a pain then looking for a cell phone if you ask me. How about a compass?

caroftheweek
06-01-2006, 07:46 AM
Do you have a water pressure gauge already? i may be adding one of these to my cluster. if you already have a water pressure gauge, what about a water temp gauge?

WYRD
Then I guess a Trim indicator is outta the question :crossx:

superdave013
with the target market for your boat I would say clock or air temp. I'd prolly go with a nice clock myself.

Phat Matt
When you drop something in the water it's nice to know how deep it went. :)

Jyruiz
06-01-2006, 07:47 AM
I second that, people always want to know how deep the water is.

hoolign
Let's say you have a space in the dash for a single gauge. You need to put a gauge there for balance and appearance and there is a whole lot of good things out there you can monitor. Some more pertinent than others. Problem with a lot of gauges is, if you don't know what to calibrate from, the gauge is no good. EGT for example... What would be considered too high for a pump gas, twin turbo motor with water cooled exhaust?
In any case, we have whittled our choices down to three... all are useful, perhaps the folks on here would rather have one than the others.
The first we are considering is an ambient air temperature gauge. This would be a thermometer for the inside of the boat to give an idea what the temperature is. With kids and sunscreen etc... it is nice to know exactly how hot it is getting and be able to react accordingly. There is a world of difference between 110 and 118, would anyone be interested in this gauge?
The second would be a cylinder head temperature gauge. This works in conjunction with our oil temperature, cooled oil temperature and water temperature gauge. It gives you one more bit of information about the physical temperature of the cylinder head. It is measured from the front face of the head, and could give a reading to allow you to get a head start on recognizing a situation that could lead to detonation with bad gas. The computer already adjusts for different exhaust gas temperatures, so this would be a way to manual monitor the head temp.
The third is a clock. I personally don't wear a watch at the river, and get sick of digging into my bag to find my cell phone to get an idea of what time it is. Would anyone be interested in a cool matching clock?
What'll it be? It is up to you guys. All three gauges would match all of the others and look like part of the gang.
Beer cooler temperature?? lets get our priorities straight here Wes! :rollside:

Froggystyle
mine has a clock but I never use it cause everytime I turn off the batteries you have to reset it, more of a pain then looking for a cell phone if you ask me. How about a compass?
What if that didn't happen? That is simply wiring...

Froggystyle
06-01-2006, 07:48 AM
Do you have a water pressure gauge already? i may be adding one of these to my cluster. if you already have a water pressure gauge, what about a water temp gauge?
We already have the water temp gauge, and the water pressure is coming from the jet... so we don't have silly little rubber impeller problems.. ;)
Good question though.

Froggystyle
06-01-2006, 07:48 AM
Then I guess a Trim indicator is outta the question :crossx:
With the trim that is always on our boat... it would just be pegged full time. ;)

WYRD
06-01-2006, 07:49 AM
What if that didn't happen? That is simply wiring...
Then the bat would drain during winter storage, I would think :idea:

caroftheweek
06-01-2006, 07:50 AM
then deffinitely a depth gauge. i use it all the time

Froggystyle
06-01-2006, 07:51 AM
I second that, people always want to know how deep the water is.
I will agree that it is nice, but people also always want to know how hot it is, what time it is etc...
With the jet, we are drafting 2" of water on plane. If the depth gauge starts getting into that range, you are already hitting sand.
I have used depth gauges on jetboats and found them nearly useless. We can boat in water that you can see the bottom on. If it is too shallow for us, someone is in ankle-deep water next to you.

phebus
06-01-2006, 07:51 AM
A watch will run for over a year on a silly little battery the size of a pill, so I don't think it will drain much. :)

phebus
06-01-2006, 07:53 AM
You can use a depth gauge to determine the proper scope you need when ahchoring.

Froggystyle
06-01-2006, 07:53 AM
So once a year you would need to set it. That can be overcome easily. There could be a winter layup switch that killed the clock, and it could be hard-wired to our audio batteries so as never to drain your main batteries.
Ours also comes with a built in charger, so anytime it is in storage, the batteries are being maintained the whole time anyway. You just plug in your extension cord to the plug on the front of the boat and call it a day.

WaTchTheGelCoat
06-01-2006, 07:54 AM
With a turbo motor I think I would want an EGT guage.

Todd969
06-01-2006, 07:54 AM
analog clock would be nice.

Froggystyle
06-01-2006, 07:55 AM
You can use a depth gauge to determine the proper scope you need when ahchoring.
Not to be a know-it-all here, but you can tell by how much line went out how deep it is. Remember, before there was depth gauges, there was lead-lines. An anchor makes for a really, really good lead-line!
Of all of the suggestions, the depth gauge seems the most beloved. I still think I would rather have something else in this particular boat...

Froggystyle
06-01-2006, 07:55 AM
With a turbo motor I think I would want an EGT guage.
It is being monitored 6 times per second by the computer. No need. You couldn't react as fast as the computer does.

phebus
06-01-2006, 07:56 AM
How about a breath-a-lizer? :)

Froggystyle
06-01-2006, 07:56 AM
C'mon everyone... there are more posts than votes! Choose a gauge dammit! :D
I have to order one of them today...

Phat Matt
06-01-2006, 07:57 AM
Seriously I would go depth gauge. Not for when you are running, but for when you are floating or about to throw anchor or if you are exploring some fingers on mead or powell. Some of those are DEEP and it's just cool to know.

Phat Matt
06-01-2006, 07:58 AM
C'mon everyone... there are more posts than votes! Choose a gauge dammit! :D
I have to order one of them today...
Put my option on there and I will vote. :D

phebus
06-01-2006, 08:00 AM
How about you just rearrange your dash so what you have fits and looks good, rather then search for a gauge that you consider useless?

WaTchTheGelCoat
06-01-2006, 08:01 AM
It is being monitored 6 times per second by the computer. No need. You couldn't react as fast as the computer does.
Well in that case. I vote for the ice chest temp guage lol :) :p

Froggystyle
06-01-2006, 08:02 AM
I may offer that as one of our three available options. Please vote on the three that are there.
This is to settle a bet actually. I think I know what the peeps want on a boat like this, and my friend thinks he does. This poll includes both of our choices with a spoiler...
Please vote. I will consider the depth gauge, I promise... ;)

Froggystyle
06-01-2006, 08:04 AM
How about you just rearrange your dash so what you have fits and looks good, rather then search for a gauge that you consider useless?
I would like any of the three actually. They all have more use to me than others that are mentioned. I would rather have any one of them than rearrange.
I see this as an opportunity to answer yet another question with the boat. Let's face it, this boat is not completely about what you NEED... it is about what you want/wish for.

Jyruiz
06-01-2006, 08:04 AM
Ok, I know, put an SPL gauge. I am sure people partying will want to know how loud there stereos are. :)

Froggystyle
06-01-2006, 08:06 AM
Ok, seriously... nobody answering has voted yet. Let's get your favorite out of the three...

Jyruiz
06-01-2006, 08:08 AM
Ok, ok, I voted. :)

Todd969
06-01-2006, 08:10 AM
I voted, now where's my new Trident shirt?

OCMerrill
06-01-2006, 08:11 AM
Generator compartment temperature.... :)

Froggystyle
06-01-2006, 08:14 AM
Generator compartment temperature.... :)
Now were talking!
I almost made a bling meter... seriously.

OCMerrill
06-01-2006, 08:19 AM
How about two additional ones...
For Jet output or pressure...you know to ensure they are balanced.
I like the bling meter in polished billet, with a polished indicator of course.
Or stereo amp temp?
Geezzzzz I need to go to work soon. :boxed:

R.A.D.man
06-01-2006, 08:24 AM
We can boat in water that you can see the bottom on. If it is too shallow for us, someone is in ankle-deep water next to you.[/QUOTE]
When you take that boat on tour to unfamiliar waters (not all lakes are clear and even the clear ones can get cloudy when there is runoff from heavy rains) or when you are out at night, a depth gauge would really help. I have one on my jet and go to unfamiliar lakes often and stay out at night a bunch. I always look to it for the water depth while moving and before I jump in for a swim.
I still voted on your 3 anways.

1stepcloser
06-01-2006, 08:26 AM
I vote clock. Particularly a nice analog style. I like knowing the time.
As far as the temp is concerned, while there is a marked difference between 110 and 118, eitehr way it's fricken HOT, and appropriate actions should be taken before setting out for the day.

572Daytona
06-01-2006, 08:27 AM
Don't forget about the rex marine emo series rainbow guage. Always in good taste :p
http://home.alltel.net/jthieme/732rainbowboost.jpg

centurion tunnel
06-01-2006, 08:35 AM
Ambient Air Temperature would be what I would want....Who need's to be looking at a clock when your trying to get away from the everyday thing called working...

Froggystyle
06-01-2006, 08:35 AM
We can boat in water that you can see the bottom on. If it is too shallow for us, someone is in ankle-deep water next to you.
When you take that boat on tour to unfamiliar waters (not all lakes are clear and even the clear ones can get cloudy when there is runoff from heavy rains) or when you are out at night, a depth gauge would really help. I have one on my jet and go to unfamiliar lakes often and stay out at night a bunch. I always look to it for the water depth while moving and before I jump in for a swim.
I still voted on your 3 anways.[/QUOTE]
Great points. I am strongly considering making this an option now. The real problem I have with it is that it will not match any of the other gauges, and the depth gauges I have seen are cheezy as hell.
What I may do is put a depth gauge off of the panel itself so you can reference it and have a low-water alarm sounder, but I still need to come up with a gauge for the dashboard.

Froggystyle
06-01-2006, 08:36 AM
Ambient Air Temperature would be what I would want....Who need's to be looking at a clock when your trying to get away from the everyday thing called working...
Vote on it!
That is what this is all about. The winner is going to end up in our dashboard...

RiverToysJas
06-01-2006, 08:42 AM
Personally, I use my depth gauge A LOT and will probably never own another boat w/o one....jet or not. I use it to determine how much anchor line I'll need, and other things not related to my drive. Like when sunglasses go overboard, I like to know how far I'm swimming to get them (22' @ gasoline alley). ;)
BUT given the list provided, I voted clock. I have a Merc package, and the computer takes good care of the motor, I also have a pool thermometer attached to the boat. I usually check the reading before tossing it overboard. I guess a dual gauge reading water and air temp would be cool!!! ;)
RTJas :D

Tremor Therapy
06-01-2006, 09:03 AM
Wes,
I agree with you on one aspect, I never wear a watch either, and it is a pain to look for something that does have the time. Now I do use my depth gauge a lot, but when on plane and at speed it is useless, and it looks cheesy. Is there any kind of combo gauge that includes the analog clock with a temperature gauge too? That could kill 2 birds with one stone. But my short answer would be either the depth gauge or the clock.....once its 105+ it all feels hot!

deltarat
06-01-2006, 09:07 AM
For the record, the other gauges already included are the following...
GPS Speedo
Tachometer
Oil Temperature (pan)
Oil Temperature (cooler)
Oil Pressure
Water temperature
Boost
Voltmeter
Fuel
Drive oil pressure
Drive oil temperature
It isn't like we are missing a key one or anything... ;)
The only thing I would ad to this list would be exhaust temp. I find this to be a good thing to monitor on my longer speed runs.

Froggystyle
06-01-2006, 09:08 AM
Here are the actual gauges we are looking at...
The ambient air temp would have to be built especially for us, but it would be based on this gauge with a different sweep. Probably register from 30 degrees to 130 degrees... It would still be a full sweep though...
http://www.autometer.com/img/products/4373_d.jpg
The cylinder head temp would look like this...
http://www.autometer.com/img/products/4336_d.jpg
And the clock would look like this...
http://www.autometer.com/img/products/4385_d.jpg

Froggystyle
06-01-2006, 09:10 AM
The only thing I would ad to this list would be exhaust temp. I find this to be a good thing to monitor on my longer speed runs.
Like I mentioned, the EGT is taken care of by the ignition system. It has preset limits and automatically adjusts the mixture and timing to accomodate, and it does it at 6 samples per second.

Phat Matt
06-01-2006, 09:11 AM
I voted.
But it looks like you have to add a depth gauge now, the people have spoken. :D

hoolign
06-01-2006, 09:13 AM
I would like to see a "splash-o-meter" that runs up in increments of "1" everytime there is even a remotely similar gel coat...when it hits 10..the GPS/Onstar automatically calls your lawyer :D

Froggystyle
06-01-2006, 09:17 AM
I voted.
But it looks like you have to add a depth gauge now, the people have spoken. :D
I will add the option... I don't want one on my boat. Just like a bimini top. They are available, they just won't we on my boat...

1stepcloser
06-01-2006, 09:17 AM
This is cool.
http://www.autometer.com/img/products/4385_d.jpg

Froggystyle
06-01-2006, 09:18 AM
I voted.
No you didn't... ;) It is a public poll. You can see who voted.
Busted... that'll cost you a beer.

Froggystyle
06-01-2006, 09:19 AM
I would like to see a "splash-o-meter" that runs up in increments of "1" everytime there is even a remotely similar gel coat...when it hits 10..the GPS/Onstar automatically calls your lawyer :D
Already in the works. It works off of optical recognition software and goes by color, shape and outline of design.
I could tell you more, but it is all very proprietary and protected... ;)

Froggystyle
06-01-2006, 10:51 AM
I have just been looking for a depth gauge for the last hour that doesn't suck and haven't found one. They are all butt-ugly. The Faria is the least offensive, but I can't see putting that in our boat. :yuk:

Froggystyle
06-01-2006, 11:15 AM
This poll is a hell of a lot closer than I thought it would be. I didn't see the clock winning, but I understand why it is.
I figure everyone has a watch, nobody carries a thermometer.
These surveys are very interesting.

wsuwrhr
06-01-2006, 11:16 AM
I voted for ambient air temp. Good for peeps with kids.
I am conflicted though, you go to the river to get away from schedules and times. But a clock has it's uses.
Head temp, I doubt anyone who buys a boat like yours even gives a rat's ass, or even really knows exactly what the head temp even is, seems that you have enough temp gauges anyway.
I voted, where is my damn shirt?
Brian
I like the shallow depth beeper though.

Screaming Pete
06-01-2006, 11:37 AM
wes i voted for the head temp but i thought it was for the driver of the boat and when it hit the number you got head my bad, hell just put in the clock....but seriously after reviewing the gauge package you have already i 'd go with the clock

Froggystyle
06-01-2006, 11:51 AM
I voted for ambient air temp. Good for peeps with kids.
I am conflicted though, you go to the river to get away from schedules and times. But a clock has it's uses.
I think it depends on your individual river experience. I know that it is easy to lose track of time when you are on the boat... and some people are looking for that, but not if you are waiting FOR the boat. We had lots of people this weekend meeting us at various times and I kept having to check on the time with a cell phone instead of being able to keep track of it.
Not just that either... when to get off the water, when you are meeting up with one another, how much more time you have until you have to pack it up and head home, how much more time until dark when you have to get off of our local lakes etc...

Cole Trickle
06-01-2006, 11:54 AM
I would build a custom gauge that did all three + a fish finder/depth gauge. :crossx: ;) :p
Don't forget the slogan.....sharpening the cutting edge!!!

ChumpChange
06-01-2006, 11:58 AM
I will agree that it is nice, but people also always want to know how hot it is, what time it is etc....
Yes....but these people only get once chance to ask these questions because they'll never be invited to go to the river again!!!! Those are "complaining" questions.

Nubbs
06-01-2006, 12:08 PM
Ambient Air Temp

skeepwerkzaz
06-01-2006, 02:31 PM
Hot is hot, but 3:30 is when your bud needs to be picked up at the dock. Therefore I voted clock, but by far the best idea was the cooler temp gauge :) That is just cool.

phebus
06-01-2006, 02:33 PM
Just mount a bottle opener in the space :rollside:

Dan Lorenze
06-01-2006, 02:54 PM
You took the words right out of my mouth... :) A clock just reminds me of what little time I have left on the boat...
Air temp would be nice.... But so would outside water temp..

Jordy
06-01-2006, 03:07 PM
Beer cooler temperature?? lets get our priorities straight here Wes! :rollside:
That's what I was thinking. ;) :D
Either that or a built in breathalyzer so you can monitor which of the sloots on the boat is really hammered and which ones are playing the drunk girl game. :D

Froggystyle
06-01-2006, 03:14 PM
Just mount a bottle opener in the space :rollside:
No bottles on the boat!!!!!
What are you... new? ;)

Norseman
06-01-2006, 03:14 PM
As a gear head I'd like Cylinder Head temp or EGT.
But you already are monitoring lots of stuff in the engine compartment.
But I think most people would appreciate a Clock the most.
Besides you never seem to wear a watch on a boat, and once in a while it's nice to know what time it is.
Coors Time perhaps...... :cool:

KACHINA KEN
06-01-2006, 03:24 PM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/kachinaken/MISC/bling.jpg :p

OCMerrill
06-01-2006, 03:26 PM
I figure everyone has a watch, nobody carries a thermometer.
It's either hot, f'n hot. or major f'n hot. Not much difference.
But, at 5:00 pm sharp I change from beer to Crown and something? I don't want to be late for this.
No bottles on the boat!!!!! Are you .....new
LMAO :rollside:

XtrmWakeborder
06-01-2006, 03:32 PM
I've got to go with the clock, yah it's nice to know how hot it is but who really cares? At 115 are you going to say ok thats the limit no boating today time to pack up?

Phat Matt
06-01-2006, 03:51 PM
No you didn't... ;) It is a public poll. You can see who voted.
Busted... that'll cost you a beer.
Ha! I swear I did. I must have hit the wrong button.
It worked now. :)

hoolign
06-01-2006, 04:02 PM
That's what I was thinking. ;) :D
Either that or a built in breathalyzer so you can monitor which of the sloots on the boat is really hammered and which ones are playing the drunk girl game. :D
I can almost pre post here for RD.. "it's bullshit..I had 3 beers and there is no way that I was over .08..I mean really..who hasnt had a six pack and been fine to drive........the calibration on it was way off"
:rollside:

TrojanDan
06-01-2006, 04:03 PM
I voted for a clock since you didn't list a depth finder. :cool:

YeLLowBoaT
06-01-2006, 04:03 PM
What about a Boobie detector? :)
Out of the 3 choices I would say clock, but if you could have a combo air/water temp that would be nice.

Lightning
06-01-2006, 04:30 PM
I voted for clock as volt gauge for stero batteries was not an option.
Depth gauges are useless by the time they read "too shallow" - the only time you are concerned about depth is when it's too late anyhow (ie: driving the boat).

Froggystyle
06-01-2006, 05:11 PM
Out of the 3 I think I'd take the head temperature guage as it's the only "functional" guage out of the group..
Temp guage? How hot is it out here? "Hot... REally Hot... Or Depths of Hell.." What time is it? "who cares we're on river time?"
Personally though Wes, something you may not have considered is a guage that gives you amplifier temperatures? Kinda bling, and usefull for the stereo.. Either that or a digital volt meter guage that's seperate for your stereo batteries.. Not that they ever would go dead, but atleast it would give some kinda indication if the party's gonna have to stop on the 3rd day of a trip or something?
RD
One of the problems is working within the constraints of what the Auto Meter Marine Ultra-lite gauges has to offer. I don't want to put some morphodite gauge up there and have it mess up the pretty dash.
The stereo voltage gauge goes behind the amp rack. In stock...

intense
06-01-2006, 05:27 PM
Can they make a custom depth guage for you?
That looks like the winner.

Froggystyle
06-01-2006, 05:32 PM
No unfortunately. I have enough juice to get them to modify and existing gauge, but not to go completely out on a new tangent.
They would build the ambient air temp for me and screen it up... but it was based on a different gauge that they already have sorted out. I think it would be difficult to have them
A) Begin to make a digital gauge for this sole purpose..
B) Design a transducer unit that worked as well as the rest of their stuff
C) Not step on any patents or copyrights while doing that
and
D) Have it done by next weekend when I am going to Lake Pleasant to get the crap kicked out of my liver by Jordy...

Phat Matt
06-01-2006, 05:32 PM
:D

intense
06-01-2006, 05:59 PM
No unfortunately. I have enough juice to get them to modify and existing gauge, but not to go completely out on a new tangent.
They would build the ambient air temp for me and screen it up... but it was based on a different gauge that they already have sorted out. I think it would be difficult to have them
A) Begin to make a digital gauge for this sole purpose..
B) Design a transducer unit that worked as well as the rest of their stuff
C) Not step on any patents or copyrights while doing that
and
D) Have it done by next weekend when I am going to Lake Pleasant to get the crap kicked out of my liver by Jordy...
It's only money glad it aint mine! Watch out for Jordy :220v:

BoatFloating
06-01-2006, 06:07 PM
He don't need a depth guage it's dual Jet..... :rollside:

spectras only
06-01-2006, 06:26 PM
Can't beleive you guys never thought of a nice barometer . :rolleyes:. 5 days out of 365 ,you may get some clouds in the sky , or some sprinlkes
on your shiny gelcoat. You'd want to prevent that :p :rollside:

anchorman
06-01-2006, 06:50 PM
Well in that case. I vote for the ice chest temp guage lol :) :p
Its good to know what temp your CHEST's are :p

SHAKEN Not Stirred
06-01-2006, 07:02 PM
GPS Speedo w/Recall - Great!
Tachometer w/Recall - Great
Oil Temperature (pan) - Great!
But shouldn't the sending unit be on the oil filter pad?
Oil Temperature (cooler) - Great!
Oil Pressure - Great!
Water Temperature - Great!
Boost - Great!
Voltmeter – Great!
Fuel Level - Great!
Drive Oil Pressure! – Great!
Drive Oil Temperature - Great!
Ambient Air Temperature – Useless!....It’s HOT!...OK….Next!
Sorry….But 110 and 118….Still F’n HOT!.....Get over it or stay inside..
Clock – Grow up and wear a watch like the rest of the grown up’s.
Or…Who gives a rip…I’m relaxing….or…Tell your buddy to be on time, next time!
Depth Gauge – Who cares how deep the water is! Just know what the heck your doing. You shouldn’t be watching that gauge anyway; there are plenty of better gauges to watch,
Cylinder Head Temperature – Great!....Useful information…I like it….
Exhaust Gas Temperature - Also Great, but you have that covered…
Later,
CJG
:p

Froggystyle
06-01-2006, 07:20 PM
Oil Temperature (pan) - Great!
But shouldn't the sending unit be on the oil filter pad?
I dunno... should it?
I thought it went in the pan. We have a billet remote oil filter adapter... Who have you seen put it on the filter?

Phat Matt
06-01-2006, 07:25 PM
The depth gauge is not for when you are on plane. It's only use is floating or idling.
It's still the overall winner. :D
Oh, and screw the low water alarm. Those things always mess up anyway. It's just annoying.

Todd969
06-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Hey Wes, stop dancing around the shirt question. Are the new ones in yet? soon? I still say clock!

Jordy
06-01-2006, 07:44 PM
Clock – Grow up and wear a watch like the rest of the grown up’s.
But then you get that funny watch tan line on your wrist. That's even worse than the wedding ring tan line in theory. :D :D :D

SHAKEN Not Stirred
06-01-2006, 07:55 PM
I dunno... should it?
I thought it went in the pan. We have a billet remote oil filter adapter... Who have you seen put it on the filter?
I was just at Paul Pfaff this AM talking to Gordon Jennings about this....
Mine is currently on the back side of my Dart block, just above the oil pressure sending unit.
My oil temp gauge starts at 140, but never deflects.
I have tested the sending unit & gauge boiling water and the gauge deflects right to 212 degrees, so I know it's accurate.
Gordon advised that it should deflect to 160 or so while running normally, but it doesn't....
I told him where the sender was and told me it should be on the oil filter pad to get the most accurate reading.
I'm going to abandon the sending unit on the block and drill & tap a hole on the filter pad....
I'll let you know what happens....
Later,
CJG

SHAKEN Not Stirred
06-01-2006, 08:05 PM
The depth gauge is not for when you are on plane. It's only use is floating or idling.
It's still the overall winner. :D
Oh, and screw the low water alarm. Those things always mess up anyway. It's just annoying.
I think you mean to say "Overall Wiener"....right?....Hehehehe!!!
Sorry Matt....Still a semi-useless gauge.......Even when the sounder was installed properly and is reading somewhat accurate.....
Anytime you can have another gauge to tell what's going on with the engine, thats the ticket.....
I have grouped the 3 most important so I can see them at a glance...
Water Temp
Oil Temp
Oil Pressure
By just having one or two of the three, you can't tell what's going on as well...
By having all three, plus a couple more, you could really see what's going on narrow the problem down and make a decision.....
You know....I think your boat could use a DC amp gauge.....
BTW.......Got your voicemail late today, I'll call you later tonight or tomorrow.....Thanks for calling back....
Later,
CJG
:)

clownpuncher
06-01-2006, 08:31 PM
Of the three choices I'd have to say head temp for obvious reasons.
I would rather see an H2O temp (river/lake) than any of those metioned though.
I give a crap about time or how hot it is. I'm at the river to get away and not worry. Basically, I have the "river-time" attitude when I'm at the river, much like the local contractors in the area :) .Ambient air temp is also useless to me. Hot is hot. I put sunscreen on my little ones no matter what the thermometer says.
I know it's not a choice, but, lake or river temp is my preferrence.
I still need to see the boat.
BTW, OTR "mini" is still going strong and still opening eyes. Like you ever doubted it :p

BadKachina
06-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Pyrometer or water pressure, with a last choice of fuel pressure. The other guages are useless. Who cares about a clock? I know when it's hot, I don't need a gauge to tell me, and water temp and oil temp should pretty well cover all the temp gauges you need on a motor.

Magic34
06-01-2006, 09:29 PM
I will agree that it is nice, but people also always want to know how hot it is, what time it is etc...
With the jet, we are drafting 2" of water on plane. If the depth gauge starts getting into that range, you are already hitting sand.
I have used depth gauges on jetboats and found them nearly useless. We can boat in water that you can see the bottom on. If it is too shallow for us, someone is in ankle-deep water next to you.
Yes, but you have been to Pleasant. One spot it could be 90' deep in the cove and 30' to the right it could be 50' deep. It is nice to know how deep it is for an anchor. If you dont have enough line, it's nice to know it before throwing it over and taking a guess. I use my depth gauge all the time for checking anchor depths. Almost every single time on the boat, and it isn't for thinking I'm in too shallow of water.
You can bring a clock/watch or even a temp gauge, but not a depth finder (with the exception of an old fashioned stick).
Sorry Wes, I know it wasn't in the option, but I say depth gauge.

Jordy
06-01-2006, 09:39 PM
Yes, but you have been to Pleasant. One spot it could be 90' deep in the cove and 30' to the right it could be 50' deep.
Ding, ding, ding, ding. I turn mine on everytime I'm in Humbug for that very reason. It's 100'+ deep down the middle and 45' around the area that I like to anchor. I've got 150' of line so it's not that big of deal but I'd rather throw an anchor in 45' than 100' if it's all the same. I don't have the auto-windlass anchor retrieval mechanism ever since BoatBitch got his own boat. :(

BajaMike
06-01-2006, 09:43 PM
I still like the depth gauge..... :idea:
It's cool being at the bottom of a 300 foot cliff at Lake Powell, and seeing the depth gauge says you're in 300 feet of water.....:D
:rollside:

H20 Toie
06-01-2006, 10:05 PM
Of the three i picked the air temp but i would want the depth guage more. I use mine a lot it is very handy

MudPumper
06-02-2006, 03:22 AM
Fuel Pressure, it would suck to be runnin WOT and lean out the motor.

Froggystyle
06-02-2006, 07:41 AM
I was just at Paul Pfaff this AM talking to Gordon Jennings about this....
Mine is currently on the back side of my Dart block, just above the oil pressure sending unit.
My oil temp gauge starts at 140, but never deflects.
I have tested the sending unit & gauge boiling water and the gauge deflects right to 212 degrees, so I know it's accurate.
Gordon advised that it should deflect to 160 or so while running normally, but it doesn't....
I told him where the sender was and told me it should be on the oil filter pad to get the most accurate reading.
I'm going to abandon the sending unit on the block and drill & tap a hole on the filter pad....
I'll let you know what happens....
Later,
CJG
Well, we have experimented quite a bit with this... and you are about to hear some interesting information... so pay attention! ;)
Where you are plumbing your temp gauge is in cooled oil. My cooled oil temp barely hits 140 under full WOT. We have that gauge set up to see what it is.
Here is the scary part. The pan oil temp is well into the 300's by that point. We are watching both like a hawk right now trying to get the pan temp down, but at the same time trying to figure out if it is even too high. My head tells me that 300 degrees in the pan is too hot, as standard oil begins to break down at 300. The other half of me says... It just came out of the engine.. it is going to be hot. My head temp is low, the water temp isn't even on the gauge, the oil cooler is dropping the temp over 175 degrees... things are optimum.
Then I find out that a LOT of big engine builders only measure cooled oil.
I dunno... Still trying to find out information on the subject. I would like to get the oil temp down to 250-260 WOT...
Any input on this one?
I think I may start another thread on this one...

Froggystyle
06-02-2006, 07:42 AM
Fuel Pressure, it would suck to be runnin WOT and lean out the motor.
That is in the computer. Remember... we are injected.

phebus
06-02-2006, 07:45 AM
Wes, if it accelerates like you say it does, how about a gauge that measures "G Force" :rollside:

Froggystyle
06-02-2006, 08:09 AM
Wes, if it accelerates like you say it does, how about a gauge that measures "G Force" :rollside:
Got it. The data-logger has two accelerometers... Can't wait to read the data from them...

Jordy
06-02-2006, 08:15 AM
How about a gauge that measures G strings instead??? :D :D :D

Froggystyle
06-02-2006, 08:18 AM
How about a gauge that measures G strings instead??? :D :D :D
Kind of like a lobster gauge? If it is this big...throw it back! :D

Jordy
06-02-2006, 08:20 AM
Kind of like a lobster gauge? If it is this big...throw it back! :D
Now you're picking up what I'm laying down. It would have to be automatic of course, blingy, and have warning lights and alarms when an unacceptable condition was encountered. :D
Or you could just go with the beer cooler temp gauge. That might be easier. :D

spectras only
06-02-2006, 12:18 PM
Wes , we put a sensor in this 14 QT Dooley on the 572 Project. We read 260* temp at WOT 210-230 at crusing speeds. I think a pan temp gauge would be my choice .
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/Img_1360.jpg
We have mechanical gauge on the billet remote oil cooler/thermostat as a backup ,and can be viewed through the tempered glass top >
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/572%20sliding%20glass%20top
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/572%20engine%20box

Tom Brown
06-02-2006, 12:20 PM
How about a spouse obesity gauge?

Jbb
06-02-2006, 12:22 PM
CMI....apehanger headers?..... :p
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/Img_1360.jpg

spectras only
06-02-2006, 12:24 PM
[QUOTE=Jbb]CMI....apehanger headers?..... :p
Nope , they're Stellings :p

Froggystyle
06-02-2006, 02:11 PM
Wes , we put a sensor in this 14 QT Dooley on the 572 Project. We read 260* temp at WOT 210-230 at crusing speeds. I think a pan temp gauge would be my choice .
We have the pan temp... but it is warmer than you are running, but we have nearly 1000hp and twin turbos... so it gets warmer.
Still need to find out what "too warm" is...

RandyH
06-02-2006, 03:06 PM
We have the pan temp... but it is warmer than you are running, but we have nearly 1000hp and twin turbos... so it gets warmer.
Still need to find out what "too warm" is...
Did you start another thread on this. Keep this one active. I have the same issue. 285 with the pan sender at WOT in a 10 Quart dooley. Then I shoot the filters with a laser and its 220. I would like to know a better way.
As far as voting, I went clock. But a Decibal meter would be cool with that stereo.
RandyH

Seadog
06-02-2006, 04:30 PM
I voted clock. A depth gauge is an absolute necessity for me, but not a dial readout, digital or analog. There should be room for a stand alone depth finder/GPS and maybe a unit offered installed.

KACHINA KEN
06-02-2006, 04:57 PM
One of the problems is working within the constraints of what the Auto Meter Marine Ultra-lite gauges has to offer. I don't want to put some morphodite gauge up there and have it mess up the pretty dash.
The stereo voltage gauge goes behind the amp rack. In stock...
You called your dash "pretty" wtf is wrong with you.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
06-02-2006, 05:04 PM
Well, we have experimented quite a bit with this... and you are about to hear some interesting information... so pay attention! ;)
Where you are plumbing your temp gauge is in cooled oil. My cooled oil temp barely hits 140 under full WOT. We have that gauge set up to see what it is.
Here is the scary part. The pan oil temp is well into the 300's by that point. We are watching both like a hawk right now trying to get the pan temp down, but at the same time trying to figure out if it is even too high. My head tells me that 300 degrees in the pan is too hot, as standard oil begins to break down at 300. The other half of me says... It just came out of the engine.. it is going to be hot. My head temp is low, the water temp isn't even on the gauge, the oil cooler is dropping the temp over 175 degrees... things are optimum.
Then I find out that a LOT of big engine builders only measure cooled oil.
I dunno... Still trying to find out information on the subject. I would like to get the oil temp down to 250-260 WOT...
Any input on this one?
I think I may start another thread on this one...
Well.....
300 degrees in the pan is right on the edge...is it a 12 or 14 qt pan?
Sounds like you may have a water temp problem, although you said it runs cool.....are you running a thermostat?.....damn, why is that oil in the pan at 300 degrees?
The best place to monitor the oil temp is right where it hits the engine, out of the cooler, but the sender may block some flow to the engine.
140-160-180 or so to the engine right from the cooler is fine.....
As I said before, I am moving mine to the filter pad as currently the only place to monitor on the Dart block is on the block, which is not the best place....but atleast I'll know it's cooler going in to the engine than the gauge shows.....
Flow.....
(Oil Pan--->Oil Pump--->Oil Filter--->Oil Cooler--->Engine--->Oil Pan)
Right?
I wish I could monitor at the input to the engine....VERY hot oil over rod & main bearings=bad....
Hmmmmmm....
CJG
:idea:

roostwear
06-02-2006, 05:11 PM
Fuel pressure would be more useful than a clock I would think

SHAKEN Not Stirred
06-02-2006, 05:30 PM
Fuel pressure would be more useful than a clock I would think
Wow....I missed fuel pressure on Froggy's list.....
I thought it was on there......I agree..... :idea:
Mine.....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1780IMG_1022.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1780IMG_1023.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1780IMG_1024.JPG
CJG

OCMerrill
06-02-2006, 05:31 PM
Is the return oil from the Turbos going directly into the cooler?
If its returning to the pan...this could be why your temps are hotter.
Today’s oil can handle temps better than 10 years ago. Contact Amsoil and ask them what is too hot? They are responsive to questions as they rely on word of mouth sales.

Froggystyle
06-03-2006, 08:24 AM
Is the return oil from the Turbos going directly into the cooler?
If its returning to the pan...this could be why your temps are hotter.
Today’s oil can handle temps better than 10 years ago. Contact Amsoil and ask them what is too hot? They are responsive to questions as they rely on word of mouth sales.
Turbos go straight to the pan... no other way to do it. They are a gravity drain system that can't even take bends. I have thought of putting them through a cooler and then into the pan, but was told when I started this that even putting the drains somewhere other than dumping out of a fitting right into the end of a main cap I would kill a turbo quickly. (We originally had our drains dumping into the bottom of the pan...)
I will phone Amzoil.. good idea. I am using Royal Purple right now because my clients can get it at Pep Boys...
It has me stymied. My cooled oil is well below tolerance at 120 or below. We have seen 140 once when I changed the cooler plumbing around a little to hold the water in longer, and it backfired. So, for the most part the cooler oil never comes off of the 100 degree mark.
Water temp is right at 120 under full throttle as well. I am running two cooling systems right now, here is the layout...
Jet-Oil Cooler/Drive Cooler-Lower drain plugs on engine-Thermostat housing-overboard
Jet-Intercooler-Exhaust Manifolds-Turbos-Exhaust downpipes
We have moved them around in different configurations, but right now we have 15-20 psi at the outlet of the block in block pressure and are still not warming up the water appreciably. Such is the nature of an open system though.]
The oil is not burning however. Perfectly clean, good quality through some heavy runs. We have over 21 hours on the new motor in the last two weeks or so.