PDA

View Full Version : Possible NO mooring or Stopping In Channel At Lake Havasu

UncleLarry
01-03-2006, 06:55 PM
The city council just concluded a work session - nothing decided at this time is ....... just a time where they talk in public...
Current council has directed the city staff to start working on an ordinance that would BAN all stopping and beaching your boat in the channel.. This ordinance if passed would go into effect before this summer.
Just thought you might like to know.. Their hope is to return the channel to the locals so it can be enjoyed by the locals... Not that they could moor their boats either.
Current council does NOT think this will negatively effect that city at all.

2Driver
01-03-2006, 07:01 PM
That sucks, but you can see it coming.
So now the channel will be over packed with boats having to pretend that they are still moving so they don't get ticketed. I guess they'll need patrols to keep the traffic moving like at a traffic accident.

cc322
01-03-2006, 07:04 PM
I really cant see how something like this could ever stand a chance of passing. Alot of the businesses down there are very happy that we can park boats in the channel, if it was to be banned it would really hurt the revanue for the business owners. How about this we take all our boating revanue elsewhere say maybe Mead ,Mohave, Naci and then when the affects of no business in the summer they will be begging us to come back and park in the channel just like the business owners in Palm Springs, they would love to have spring break back. :mad:

KACHINA KEN
01-03-2006, 07:12 PM
hahahahahahaahahahaha. Yeah Right.

Havasu Cig
01-03-2006, 07:14 PM
This will kill some of the businesses in the channel if it passes. We really don't hang in the channel as much as we used to, but it was still a nice hangout for the last couple of hours before heading back to the ramp. It seems like the B.S. never stops out there.

UncleLarry
01-03-2006, 07:15 PM
I will keep everyone updated..
When the time is right I will be asking for your input and help...
I know we can present a viable defense to keeping it open. What we need to remember is that we cant go screaming or making accusations.. Thats what many in the city want.. So lets voice our oppostion but lets not resort to name calling or threats.. PLEASE....
Thank you.. Please feel free to pm me or contact me at Jokers Wild if you want to get more info or offer help.
Thanks

Desert Rat
01-03-2006, 07:34 PM
just like the business owners in Palm Springs, they would love to have spring break back. :mad:
Actually I hear most are pretty happy its gone. Most said it wasn't worth the hassle. After all who do you think sits on and influences these boards? Local business owners. Sure boating is #1 in Havasu but look what has been the driving force in Las Vegas the past 10+ years... get the family to come and the kids HAVE to eat, play etc. Usually less LE is needed and if your family friendly that = $$. Don't get me wrong I know quite a few of us bring our kids to Havasu but I think the local council would love to get rid of what they feel in the fringe element. Just my .02

h2oski2fast
01-03-2006, 07:36 PM
Never happen.

Havasu_Dreamin
01-03-2006, 07:39 PM
Seems kinda like a case of throwing out the baby with the bath-water.

Panic Button
01-03-2006, 07:41 PM
Actually I hear most are pretty happy its gone. Most said it wasn't worth the hassle. After all who do you think sits on and influences these boards? Local business owners. Sure boating is #1 in Havasu but look what has been the driving force in Las Vegas the past 10+ years... get the family to come and the kids HAVE to eat, play etc. Usually less LE is needed and if your family friendly that = $$. Don't get me wrong I know quite a few of us bring our kids to Havasu but I think the local council would love to get rid of what they feel in the fringe element. Just my .02
The past 5 years Vegas has been trying to get away from the "family friendly" city and go back to the more adult orientated nature as it was before. Notice they have changed the shows, removed the theme parks etc. Parents with kids do not spend as much gaming as non-kids visits.
Hope it doesn't pass...

Desert Rat
01-03-2006, 07:50 PM
Yeah but they gave it a try and didn't go broke. I was just using Vegas as a "for example". Havasu IMO is not tring to be strickly adult entertainment and with all the blue hairs in the winter they are trying to be alittle more of a "City" don't get me wrong I love the place and this is no more then my opinion on the situation. Look what happened this year when they limited boats in the channel on the big weeked! The trash from NON-boaters was a mess. I guess Rome wasn't built in a day!

shadow
01-03-2006, 08:12 PM
That ought to go over real well with all the condo owners on the north side
of the bridge on both sides.
They will love the fact now they may not be able to beach thier boat in front
outside of thier condo.Really ought to please the condo owners that count on renting out thier condo to help pay the mortgage.Now noone will want to rent the condo because they've got nowhere to park thier boat.
Now the city will have to buy more patrol boats and load em up with the police that sit in golf carts and thong watch.
I can see em trying to limit as they already have,one way traffic,or some other lame ideas,But can't see them closing the channel down to no beaching/mooring.I'm sure this is far from over so we will see soon.

Ultrafied
01-03-2006, 08:25 PM
With the the old English Village needing a renovation, this would seem appropriate. Although many believe that the the local income of the Channel is dependant upon their money, IMHO, growth is being held back back by it. You can't have tourist dollars where the only draw is boats with g-strings and the common draw is liquor. This not meant as a literal statement. :D
Many shops have closed up because tourism is not growing at the Bridge. If the council wants to think of a Convention Center, possibly a hotel, new business with growth, it would make sense to have boats only moving through the Channel and not partying. :D

77charger
01-03-2006, 08:43 PM
How about this we take all our boating revanue elsewhere say maybe Mead ,Mohave, Naci and then when the affects of no business in the summer they will be begging us to come back and park in the channel just like the business owners in Palm Springs, they would love to have spring break back. :mad:
I doubt it they will care i am sure there are people who are traveling and drive thru that stop and shop.They make it thru wintertime without the majority of boats.
Besides how many boaters do you see shopping around?palm springs seems to be doing fine spring break back then was maybe 2 weeks there are 50 non spring break weekends in a year.And most spring break crowds barely take enough money for beer.
Dont think that kind of ordinance will fly though.

Havasu_Dreamin
01-03-2006, 08:52 PM
I doubt it they will care i am sure there are people who are traveling and drive thru that stop and shop.They make it thru wintertime without the majority of boats.
Havasu makes it thru the winter due to the winter visitors spending their money in town buying gas and groceries and other items. The same holds true for the summer visitors. Remove either one of those completely from the local economy and the city will suffer.

shadow
01-03-2006, 08:58 PM
Havasu makes it thru the winter due to the winter visitors spending their money in town buying gas and groceries and other items. The same holds true for the summer visitors. Remove either one of those completely from the local economy and the city will suffer.
Thats a fact jack! :)
Theres bus loads of tourists on a daily basis parked @ the london bridge
resort, In&Out Parking lot.Some days the tourists look like flies on shit all over the bridge during the winter snapping photos,sight seeing,ect.

h2oski2fast
01-03-2006, 09:00 PM
Go ask most business owners what they think of the winter clientel. They will tell you that they spend very little money, and that the summer bring in much more revenue then the winter. Of course there are always businesses that will still prosper during the winter, but the overall city depends on the summer to survive finacially.

cc322
01-03-2006, 09:09 PM
When we were there at the end of October my wife wanted to go look at a new bikinis at the same store she purchased one in the begining of the season, well the store had changed all of there inventory to focus on older people, no more bikinis for youg women but all polyester garments for the older crowd. That shows me that the businesses are seasonal friendly meaning that they will only stock what will sell for that season summer, swim suits fall and winter diffeerent stock.Cant blame them they have to sell what sells, so yes I believe if you take the boating crowd out of the channel the businesses will fill the impact.

Havasu_Dreamin
01-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Go ask most business owners what they think of the winter clientel. They will tell you that they spend very little money, and that the summer bring in much more revenue then the winter. Of course there are always businesses that will still prosper during the winter, but the overall city depends on the summer to survive finacially.
So they spend very little. They still provide an increase on the sales at the supermarkets, gas stations, clothing stores etc, etc, etc that if removed would impact the local economy. It's simple economics.
For the sake of argument let's say there are roughly 5k winter visitors each year in LHC. I am using 5k because is the number I have always heard, it could be more or less. Assuming most are couples that is 2500 couples in town. Even if those 2500 couples are spedning ONLY $100 per month in town, and that is a VERY conservative amount, thats $250,000 (100 X 2500) PER MONTH.
Now, take that and multiply it by the typical snowbird season of 4-5 months that's possibly as much as $1.25 million removed the LHC economy. And that does not even take into account the rent/lease amounts the snowbirds are providing to the homeowners whom they rent from, whether local or from CA, which is additional money that may be pumped back into the economy by those homeowners, quite possibly in the summer. Granted, summer visitors may very well spend more total dollars, but Havasu still needs the winter visitors AND the summer visitors to sustain the local economy.

h2oski2fast
01-03-2006, 09:52 PM
When we were there at the end of October my wife wanted to go look at a new bikinis at the same store she purchased one in the begining of the season, well the store had changed all of there inventory to focus on older people, no more bikinis for youg women but all polyester garments for the older crowd. That shows me that the businesses are seasonal friendly meaning that they will only stock what will sell for that season summer, swim suits fall and winter diffeerent stock.Cant blame them they have to sell what sells, so yes I believe if you take the boating crowd out of the channel the businesses will fill the impact.
Thats just smart business.

RiverToysJas
01-03-2006, 10:05 PM
Don't see it affecting local business too much. I don't care if it happens either.
BUT I don't see it happening and I don't think it's legal. The channel is still the lake, and the lake is still a Federal Waterway. I THINK below the high water mark, they cannot prevent you from beaching. I'd like to hear from boatcop or someone who might know for sure. Also, people with "boat trouble" would have to be allowed to be beach under "safe harbor" laws. That would be a good way to protest it, everyone should just develope "engine trouble" for the day. ;)
RTJas :D

h2oski2fast
01-03-2006, 10:10 PM
So they spend very little. They still provide an increase on the sales at the supermarkets, gas stations, clothing stores etc, etc, etc that if removed would impact the local economy. It's simple economics.
For the sake of argument let's say there are roughly 5k winter visitors each year in LHC. I am using 5k because is the number I have always heard, it could be more or less. Assuming most are couples that is 2500 couples in town. Even if those 2500 couples are spedning ONLY $100 per month in town, and that is a VERY conservative amount, thats $250,000 (100 X 2500) PER MONTH.
Now, take that and multiply it by the typical snowbird season of 4-5 months that's possibly as much as $1.25 million removed the LHC economy. And that does not even take into account the rent/lease amounts the snowbirds are providing to the homeowners whom they rent from, whether local or from CA, which is additional money that may be pumped back into the economy by those homeowners, quite possibly in the summer. Granted, summer visitors may very well spend more total dollars, but Havasu still needs the winter visitors AND the summer visitors to sustain the local economy.
Now to take your assumption and twist it a bit. Let's take one weekend at Havasu during the summer. A very conservative estimate of the number of boats in Havasu would be 1000 (but we'll use it). Another very convervative estimate would be the amount of gas that each boat will consume (averaged out would probably be 80 gallons per weekend, some use less and some more). Now at around 2.00 per gallon that would be $160 per boat (again, average). That's $160,000 in gas for a weekend. Then for the season, $3.8 million. The summer crowd has a more expendable cash flow then do the "snow birds" that are on a fixed, usually retired budget. Go into a restaraunt and ask the people who work there which clientel they would rather have.

RiverToysJas
01-03-2006, 10:18 PM
Yeah, cuz we all know that nobody will go to Lake Havasu anymore if they don't allow people to beach their boats in place that they can more easiely drive their car to. :rolleyes: It'll more likely just put more pressure on other coves and marinas.
And if this "new law" does make a lot of people not go there anymore, to the point that the differance is noticalbe (which I highly doubt) it'll only be until other people, who don't go there now because it's too busy and crowded find out...then they will start showing and the cycle will repeat. ;)

moneypit
01-03-2006, 10:26 PM
Theres got to be a happy medium to this situation. I have always gelt that if they had a way to limit how long boats moored it could be better.
For example: Getting a morring slip for lets say, two hours. The city could have a machine that dispensed slips, or they could have a station near the bridge that you could get it from. I think this would slow alot of the problems. I think the city would like to stop the drunk atmosphere and I would concur. The slips could also be given out by meter maid copper...
Just a thought though. I would hate to see the channel closed and I would hate to see the business's fair.

Kilrtoy
01-03-2006, 10:38 PM
Don't see it affecting local business too much. I don't care if it happens either.
Why would you when you boat in Bullhead and parker.... :rolleyes:

phebus
01-03-2006, 10:39 PM
Theres got to be a happy medium to this situation. I have always gelt that if they had a way to limit how long boats moored it could be better.
For example: Getting a morring slip for lets say, two hours. The city could have a machine that dispensed slips, or they could have a station near the bridge that you could get it from. I think this would slow alot of the problems. I think the city would like to stop the drunk atmosphere and I would concur. The slips could also be given out by meter maid copper...
Just a thought though. I would hate to see the channel closed and I would hate to see the business's fair.
I would think the merchants in the area would endorse a plan like this, as it would rotate the potential customers to their businesses. Increased business also means increased tax revenue for the city.

RiverToysJas
01-03-2006, 10:45 PM
Why would you when you boat in Bullhead and parker.... :rolleyes:
I do? That's funny, considering I have boated in BHC only once in the last 4 years, and Parker no more than once a season, if that.

olbiezer
01-03-2006, 10:56 PM
havasu city council sounds like the fort lauderdale fl city council when i was growing up.........every time we found a place to congregate and have fun .......they would pass a law closing that area or parking lot during night time hours....canals there are now all no wake manatee zones.....spring break is a thing of the past as they found out we were having tooo much fun so they outlawed that!!!! just a fun crowd on the council......all about 90 years old!

mbrown2
01-03-2006, 10:57 PM
I think the channel is way too out of hand now....they need to limit the mooring or reduce the channel chaos....too much drinking and too many idiots bring the chaos right to public...keep it at the sandbar or in the party coves where I like to enjoy it, but the channel on most weekends is out of hand on the shore, fights get created with people saving space or idiots creating chaos next to those that do not want chaos and thus the termoil begins. Even the idiots that do not know how to drive in the channel, pulling in, backing out, people stopping creating bottle necks and people who do not know how to drive and have itchy throttle hands/foots bumping each other and thus creating more chaos...
There is a reason this is getting so much town attention, the attention is probably warranted.

Bolt On's
01-03-2006, 11:06 PM
My thoughts as well...... All the shops there survive by us. I spend a ton in those stores!!!!!

INSman
01-03-2006, 11:29 PM
My thoughts as well...... All the shops there survive by us. I spend a ton in those stores!!!!!
I love Bolt On's !!! :) :rollside: :D

Daytona100
01-04-2006, 01:30 AM
How about Lake Mead for an alternative. Cheaper rooms, nitelife. buffets. huge lake Getting tired of Havasu and all the BS. If they dont want boaters there screw um. There are alternatives. :rolleyes:

RiverRatMike
01-04-2006, 01:34 AM
doubt that will ever happen. I haven't heard a thing about it till now and I live here.

Hardly Satisfied
01-04-2006, 03:17 AM
that would suck if they don't let people park there

shadow
01-04-2006, 05:15 AM
doubt that will ever happen. I haven't heard a thing about it till now and I live here.
Watch the city council meeting on channel 45 next tues..Or todays paper from the meeting last night.I can't see the channel being closed down but,i can see them trying to make it either alcohol free or limit times or number of boats,permits or something like that.Dam shame if they close it completely to all parking.I belive they will just relocate the problems to another location,out of sight out of mind.That also may prevent emergency personel from being able to get where they need to be in a timely manner.Atleast now they have a large number of people contained in 1 general area accessable by land.They ought to just enforce the exsisting laws and start writing littering tickets,drunk in public arresets,etc.If they crack down it might drive out some of the crowds.

Sleek-Jet
01-04-2006, 06:40 AM
BUT I don't see it happening and I don't think it's legal. The channel is still the lake, and the lake is still a Federal Waterway. I THINK below the high water mark, they cannot prevent you from beaching. I'd like to hear from boatcop or someone who might know for sure. Also, people with "boat trouble" would have to be allowed to be beach under "safe harbor" laws. That would be a good way to protest it, everyone should just develope "engine trouble" for the day. ;)
Since it's within the city limits, I would believe that Lake Havasu City owns the land beneath the water. So they can prevent you from mooring.
A group of kids got into this same argument back home a few years ago. Everyone used to go tubing on the river above town. Well, as people started buying up the old farms and ranches that the river ran through and subdividing, it was only a mater of time till somebody took exception to people "floating" across their property. Went all the way to the Colorado Supreme court I believe. Finally it was decided that the water in the river belongs to the people of the state, and is considered a navigable water way. As long as no one touched the bottom, you weren't tresspassing. I would think the same rules would apply to mooring in the channel.

shueman
01-04-2006, 06:46 AM
Limit the parking to the island and the resorts, then SHUT DOWN the drinking will fix it....

THOR
01-04-2006, 07:19 AM
How about Lake Mead for an alternative. Cheaper rooms, nitelife. buffets. huge lake Getting tired of Havasu and all the BS. If they dont want boaters there screw um. There are alternatives. :rolleyes:
I think that is great. Everyone should go to Mead and Mohave instead.

Havasu Hangin'
01-04-2006, 07:34 AM
So let me get this straight...
...you close down Copper Canyon on busy weekends because of "rowdy behavior"...
...then everyone moves to the Sandbar, so you close that down on busy weekends because of "rowdy behavior".
Now you are suprised that there is "rowdy behavior" in the channel? Brilliant!

Havasu Hangin'
01-04-2006, 07:37 AM
Maybe when they close down the channel, they'll come to your house. :D :D
Don't hate the player...hate the game.
:D

Debbolas
01-04-2006, 07:40 AM
F ...... Mohave!
;)

carreraboat
01-04-2006, 07:40 AM
without the boats in the channel who would want to go there anyway

RiverToysJas
01-04-2006, 08:12 AM
Since it's within the city limits, I would believe that Lake Havasu City owns the land beneath the water. So they can prevent you from mooring.
I was mainly basing that off what I remember of a thread a few years ago. The new condos in the channel were going to make it parking for their condo owners only, and I think (but could be wrong) boatcop said they did not have the right to the that due to the Federal Waterway thingy. It could be different when it's the city that wants to make the new rules though.

UncleLarry
01-04-2006, 08:29 AM
Copper canyon is patrolled by San Bernardino County Sheriffs Department (California)- so it was that department that closed that area NOT Lake Havasu...
Sand Bar is patrolled by the Mohave County Sheriffs Department (Ariz) - they are the ones that closed the Sand Bar.
The Channel is NOT a federal waterway it is classified as a Lake Havasu City Streeet - thus the city is in charge of it. So actually all that needs to take place is for the city manager to say - close it. They want an ordinance to make it harder to fight.
Plus they are looking at annexing - Thompson Bay so the city would have control over that. Currently Movave count patrols the bay so they would more then likely like to have the city take over responsiblity. The BLM and Army Corp of Eng. are the Fed Agencies in charge they they do not do the patrolling.
Why? All this? Cause many in Lake Havasu don't like the "show" thats what it is called that going on in the Channel. The girls in thongs dancing on the back of the boats..the breasts being bared ..... that brings the spectators to the channel those on the shore line - they are causing many of problems - so whats the easiest way to control those on the shoreline? Take away the "SHOW".
Will it effect the local economy "they those that want it closed" say not enough to hurt the city.
Just the facts...

RiverToysJas
01-04-2006, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the facts UL! Very interesting.
F ...... Mohave!
;)
I'm with you Deb! Who would want to boat there anyway....the whole lake only has three ramps and no European landmarks! :rolleyes:

SummitKarl
01-04-2006, 09:12 AM
Oh JOY, guess who gets to meet the Vice Mayor this Sunday for dinner :rolleyes:
I agree that things are out of hand in the channel, and that's mostly due to all the other places being closed (Copper, SandBar) but keep in mind those are patrolled by SBCS not LHC, it's SBCS that closed those areas, and LHC is being forced to deal with the repercussions of those actions, I don't see a simple cure here, I wish the other places would re-open but it's not LHC's choice to make.
I doubt this will go very far, Harvey Jackson (LHC Mayor) is alienating people left and right (just about every one I talk to at the city) and the local paper has got it in for him big time.. so don't put to much weight in his latest volley of egotistical B.S.
SK for Mayor :wink:

Boa1277
01-04-2006, 09:31 AM
The past 5 years Vegas has been trying to get away from the "family friendly" city and go back to the more adult orientated nature as it was before. Notice they have changed the shows, removed the theme parks etc. Parents with kids do not spend as much gaming as non-kids visits.
Hope it doesn't pass...
I just watched a special on Vegas and they said Gaming was no longer the #1 source of dollars in Vegas, they said something about entertainment taking over as the best way to bring in the big bucks.
Maybe Havasu will figure out that it is the tourists who bring in most of the income for the locals in Havasu. They need to learn from the example of Vegas that if you cater to the tourist you will have a successful city, closing the channel would not be catering to tourism...

Bolt On's
01-04-2006, 09:34 AM
Limit the parking to the island and the resorts, then SHUT DOWN the drinking will fix it....
Or LIMIT the drinking -- still need Jello shooters!!!!!!!! People just need to pick up their garbage!!!!! There are tons of trash cans -- whats the problem???????

ClownRoyal
01-04-2006, 10:11 AM
with another bunch of BS discussions about the Channel.
Anyone else getting sick of these jerks with their heads up their asses? They just don't get it - a large part of this town survives on boaters dollars.

Big Warlock
01-04-2006, 10:28 AM
after some research for a friend of mine that was interested in having us do an investment in Havasu, I found it to be a no go. I still think the town will discourage boaters. I think boaters will move north to other lakes that some people don't want to talk about here! :rollside: And I think you will see your investment not appreciate as much as in other geographical locations along the river. And I think there is a chance that home prices will drop. Especially with the talk of speed limits and such by other law enforcement entities besides the local police.
New developments north cater to those with bigger boats and dollars. They have problems, but boaters aren't one of them.
Vegas doesn't make any money on gambling!?!? Keep thinking that! LOL It's a secret that they build the casinos to attract the people to come in for the show. :rollside: The city may not make any money off the casinos but the casinos run the city. The city makes money off the hotel and restraunt taxes. Ask the city if they would like to shut down the casinos? :p
But of course, just my .02 worth

Havasu_Dreamin
01-04-2006, 10:33 AM
Now to take your assumption and twist it a bit. Let's take one weekend at Havasu during the summer. A very conservative estimate of the number of boats in Havasu would be 1000 (but we'll use it). Another very convervative estimate would be the amount of gas that each boat will consume (averaged out would probably be 80 gallons per weekend, some use less and some more). Now at around 2.00 per gallon that would be $160 per boat (again, average). That's $160,000 in gas for a weekend. Then for the season, $3.8 million. The summer crowd has a more expendable cash flow then do the "snow birds" that are on a fixed, usually retired budget. Go into a restaraunt and ask the people who work there which clientel they would rather have.
I agree with everything you are saying. All I am saying is that the town can't afford to lose either one of the revenue sources.

Havasu_Dreamin
01-04-2006, 10:35 AM
I think the channel is way too out of hand now....they need to limit the mooring or reduce the channel chaos....too much drinking and too many idiots bring the chaos right to public...keep it at the sandbar or in the party coves where I like to enjoy it, but the channel on most weekends is out of hand on the shore, fights get created with people saving space or idiots creating chaos next to those that do not want chaos and thus the termoil begins. Even the idiots that do not know how to drive in the channel, pulling in, backing out, people stopping creating bottle necks and people who do not know how to drive and have itchy throttle hands/foots bumping each other and thus creating more chaos...
There is a reason this is getting so much town attention, the attention is probably warranted.
Excellent points.

SummerBreeze
01-04-2006, 10:36 AM
I get it now it's all about the money
How about parking meters????????

Kilrtoy
01-04-2006, 10:38 AM
For sake of disagreement, Why is it when there is a regatta and or poker run, the U.S. COAST GUARD is always in charge and issues the permits...
They say it is a federal waterway....

Havasu_Dreamin
01-04-2006, 10:42 AM
For sake of disagreement, Why is it when there is a regatta and or poker run, the U.S. COAST GUARD is always in charge and issues the permits...
I would think because the main portion of the lake is a federal waterway and that is where the majority of the regatta/poker run takes place.

moneypit
01-04-2006, 10:48 AM
Same reason that when there is a big investigation or crime, the local cops call in the FBI. :D :sqeyes:

havaduner
01-04-2006, 10:49 AM
I agree that things are out of hand in the channel, and that's mostly due to all the other places being closed (Copper, SandBar) but keep in mind those are patrolled by SBCS not LHC, it's SBCS that closed those areas, and LHC is being forced to deal with the repercussions of those actions, I don't see a simple cure here, I wish the other places would re-open but it's not LHC's choice to make.
I
SK for Mayor :wink:
Karl remember one thing, Mohave County Sherrifs, San Bernardino County Sherrifs have juristication over the entire lake together, as does LHC police. So, when an area (copper canyon, sand bar) is shut down, that decision is made in unison.
I'll vote for you :rollside:

TCHB
01-04-2006, 11:43 AM
I guess we should close Huntington Beach to people next. No way people are money. If there is a few people that cause problems put them in jail like the law says. What is wrong with Havasu Leaders!!!!

Liquid Courage
01-04-2006, 11:47 AM
I thought the "one-way" travel idea was a good way to limit the chaos in the channel. And maybe limit the beaching spaces near the narrow opening by the main marina.

That Guy
01-04-2006, 11:56 AM
So let me get this straight...
...you close down Copper Canyon on busy weekends because of "rowdy behavior"...
...then everyone moves to the Sandbar, so you close that down on busy weekends because of "rowdy behavior".
Now you are suprised that there is "rowdy behavior" in the channel? Brilliant!
Exactly right......what a bunch of backwards boneheads....

TCHB
01-04-2006, 11:56 AM
How many people were hurt by boats in the channel this past year???

riverracerx
01-04-2006, 11:59 AM
With insurance rates, speed limits, alcohol and deaths it is just a matter of time before boating as a whole dries up. You either do 35, in a circle or you pull the trigger on a BIG boat and take it to the ocean.
Why do you think people drive from CA to AZ to boat. Less rules. Make the rules in AZ and there is less reason to drive over there.

Havasu_Dreamin
01-04-2006, 12:03 PM
How many people were hurt by boats in the channel this past year???
I'm playing devils advocate here, so take it for what that is worth. Define hurt. One could make an argument that someone can be hurt by a boat without even being near the boat, CO poisoning as an example and now we ahve the warning signs in the channel. The city is trying to look out for itself in terms of risk analysis. How this plays into shutting down the channel to mooring I don't really know nor can I even see the connection. If they, the City leaders, are concerned with the activity in the channel then enforce the laws already on the books and fine people in a very harsh manner. If they need to make it an alcohol free zone, so be it, but that will hurt everyone, not just the visitors but the residents as well.

mbrown2
01-04-2006, 12:12 PM
They ought to just enforce the exsisting laws and start writing littering tickets,drunk in public arresets,etc.If they crack down it might drive out some of the crowds.
Good points....

Big Warlock
01-04-2006, 12:21 PM
100 percent with the post above!!!!

Tremor Therapy
01-04-2006, 12:27 PM
They already have laws on the books that could help eliminate some of the "over the top" behavior that seems to be the cause of the problem. So....enforce the laws!
I mean to use an analogy....the police will target an area where cars are always speeding, increase the patrols there, write a bazillion tickets, and viola! After an "adjustment" period of ticket writting, most everyone follows the speed limit! Modify the boating traffic by enforcing the laws that are already in place!

UncleLarry
01-04-2006, 12:39 PM
Once again the Channel is NOT a federal waterway. Yes one needs Coast Guard Permits to hold an event on Lake Havasu/Colorado River. Via the Coast Guard almost 19 agencies get their right to deny or approve an event. That is why the Coast Guard requests that all events submit thier paper work 90 to 120 days before their event.
In order to hold a boat parade thru the Channel (such as done at most of the regattas) a separate request must be submitted to the City of Lake Havasu - must be approved by the police department and fire department among others. In addition a certificate of liability must be presented to the City. Showing that the city is covered.
The Bridgewater Channel is the same as a city street.
Those once again are the facts...
From what I can figure out this has been in the works for years - what was needd was council that was receptive to such an idea. And thats what the recall last september was all about.

riverroyal
01-04-2006, 01:00 PM
about the same time of year that everyone started freaking out about mufflers last year? :rolleyes:

riverracerx
01-04-2006, 01:00 PM
Don't rev your motor under the bridge either. :rolleyes:

billet racing
01-04-2006, 01:45 PM
I don't want to see them close the channel. I think they need to enforce the laws already in place. I would bet the regulars are not the trouble makers, as they know they need to return. People don't generaly trash thier own house. Same as you, I don't make trouble, don't enjoy it around me and try to avoid it. But I do like to have "safe & sane" fun. I enjoy boating, going fast, drinking and all of the above, but there is a limit. I enjoy teh music, just not blaring. Over the limit, bust em. those unruly ones upset us as well. No body likes thier boat hit, trash in thier space, or waves nocking around the boats.
There has to be a happy mediem. The old saying, "We don't police ourselves, they will". How about we make suggestions on how to police the area and aggreable activities. then support them in thier policy of the over the limit behavior.
Damn, I just bought time at the Nautical Inn. Enjoy all the activities, but losing the channel would lose lots of apeal of the area.
Jerry

bigkatboat
01-04-2006, 01:47 PM
"Uncle Larry" the recall was not all about the channel for some of us. I voted for the recall because I am tired of the old mayor and all of his realtor buddies getting the city to bend over and even PAY for their private land/building/ business projects. Business new construction (in town) is very hard for private business owners and VERY EASY for the local realtor/ council member/ Havasu 100 member/ former mayors! I don't know if this Mayor/ council will listen to the people either, but I was just ready for ANY KIND OF CHANGE. We moved here to spend time in the channel, and I won't give the use of it up easily. To us it's a 'city park with boats', and that's what we wanted. Do you think that Az. DOT thought up that giant intersection at 95 and Mulberry? Hell no! Your ex- mayor (you know, the 'boozen one') got into bed with the 'good old boys that ACCIDENTALLY got the body beach land lease right out from under the city people that wanted it for water access. That intersection will be a great entrance to a multi million dollar waterfront development in the near future. And I for one want to thank all of you Az. residents for your monitary support! I wish I could get a state land lease for pennies on the dollar and then turn around and sublease 20% of the land to the city for hundereds of thousands of dollars.

TCHB
01-04-2006, 02:48 PM
Use the existing laws on the books to enforce bad bevavior. I know this is basic but it does work. Newport Beach used to have a big group of trouble makers and did one thing enforce the laws. It does work. You can not continue to make new laws and never enforce the ones in place. The crowds in the channel are small compared to Southern California beaches and the laws work.

Captain Dan
01-04-2006, 03:10 PM
How many businesses would really suffer from a channel closure? I suppose you would have to assume the channel closure would mean that people would stop coming to Havasu. But would they?
In my opinion, people would still come to Havasu, they would still buy groceries, still go out to dinner, and still go to the nightclubs. They would still gas up, buy ice, and fill their coolers every morning before heading out on the lake to find a cove, or a beach to hang out on, in lieu of the channel.
The boutiques at English Village would suffer some, and the few convenience shops across the way, and maybe the marina but what else?
The biggest loss would be if people stopped coming, but I can't saee that happening. If they closed the channel, I would still go, wouldn't you?

HocusPocus
01-04-2006, 03:44 PM
it wouldn't hurt my feelings to close it down.. i would still go to the villiage and the park and im ok if they enforced the laws already in place. Havasu has been one of our favorite vacation spots for over 20 years and im a little tired of the "show" as its being called.

BADAXE
01-04-2006, 03:53 PM
Hey now! Mead Sucks! Jerk! :p :D

ClownRoyal
01-04-2006, 03:59 PM
about the same time of year that everyone started freaking out about mufflers last year? :rolleyes:
Exactly!

Ultrafied
01-04-2006, 06:45 PM
it wouldn't hurt my feelings to close it down.. i would still go to the village and the park and im OK if they enforced the laws already in place. Havasu has been one of our favorite vacation spots for over 20 years and im a little tired of the "show" as its being called.
:D I agree with you ... getting real tired of it.

ClownRoyal
01-04-2006, 07:20 PM
:D I agree with you ... getting real tired of it.
Then go somewhere else...dah.

Phat Matt
01-04-2006, 07:45 PM
I'm sorry. I don't think I'll ever get tired of thongs and boobies. The show must go on. :)
http://www.***boat.com/forums/customavatars/avatar11693_4.gifhttp://www.***boat.com/forums/customavatars/avatar327_6.gifhttp://www.***boat.com/forums/customavatars/avatar5534_6.gif

SummitKarl
01-04-2006, 08:18 PM
"Uncle Larry" the recall was not all about the channel for some of us. I voted for the recall because I am tired of the old mayor and all of his realtor buddies getting the city to bend over and even PAY for their private land/building/ business projects. Business new construction (in town) is very hard for private business owners and VERY EASY for the local realtor/ council member/ Havasu 100 member/ former mayors! I don't know if this Mayor/ council will listen to the people either, but I was just ready for ANY KIND OF CHANGE. We moved here to spend time in the channel, and I won't give the use of it up easily. To us it's a 'city park with boats', and that's what we wanted. Do you think that Az. DOT thought up that giant intersection at 95 and Mulberry? Hell no! Your ex- mayor (you know, the 'boozen one') got into bed with the 'good old boys that ACCIDENTALLY got the body beach land lease right out from under the city people that wanted it for water access. That intersection will be a great entrance to a multi million dollar waterfront development in the near future. And I for one want to thank all of you Az. residents for your monitary support! I wish I could get a state land lease for pennies on the dollar and then turn around and sublease 20% of the land to the city for hundereds of thousands of dollars.
boy that just hits the nail on the old head right there :)
sooooo...sad but sooooo true. :rolleyes:
funny H.J. seems more worried about some bare boobs and the city's image, but yet we still have a street called BROOMRAPE Dr. yup bare boobs are far more disgusting :rolleyes: which would you rather explain to your kids

Phat Matt
01-04-2006, 08:21 PM
boy that just hits the nail on the old head right there :)
sooooo...sad but sooooo true. :rolleyes:
funny H.J. seems more worried about some bare boobs and the city's image, but yet we still have a street called BROOMRAPE Dr. yup bare boobs are far more disgusting :rolleyes: which would you rather explain to your kids
How does that happen?
http://image.maps.yahoo.com/mapimage?MAPData=EUaSivhyzy3RiKeCOLHEpgUsv0pbiuFFL 1_eBcYqozExJJeDTaN0N49HIA06TKNHqjWV2MdiJIQBIACASxK j4LHicLcM_qo1jUQetI4nVwTyVpCGrQ--

mbrown2
01-04-2006, 08:22 PM
Its not the thongs and pasties....its the idiots and chaos that they can attract and in the narrow channel, packed conditions, unskilled boaters, alcohol, and loud music.....sometimes it can be disasterous.
Too bad....like always...too much of a good thing kills it.

SummitKarl
01-04-2006, 08:28 PM
How does that happen?
http://image.maps.yahoo.com/mapimage?MAPData=EUaSivhyzy3RiKeCOLHEpgUsv0pbiuFFL 1_eBcYqozExJJeDTaN0N49HIA06TKNHqjWV2MdiJIQBIACASxK j4LHicLcM_qo1jUQetI4nVwTyVpCGrQ--
type-o I hit Dr. instead of Ln. :rollside:

Phat Matt
01-04-2006, 08:32 PM
Its not the thongs and pasties....its the idiots and chaos that they can attract and in the narrow channel, packed conditions, unskilled boaters, alcohol, and loud music.....sometimes it can be disasterous.
Who listens to thier music loud? :crossx:

shadow
01-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Yeah? 99% of the time i haven't heard any loud music from anyone parked
next to me. :)

SummitKarl
01-04-2006, 08:38 PM
WHAT? :)

Kilrtoy
01-04-2006, 08:55 PM
Now the wife watched the meeting and thought THEY said it would only be on HOLIDAY WEEKENDS......

shadow
01-04-2006, 09:03 PM
Now the wife watched the meeting and thought THEY said it would only be on HOLIDAY WEEKENDS......
That sounds alittle more like it.Acceptable at that.I think if i'm free next tues i might go over to city hall and sit in.If not atleast try to watch the tv.

Kilrtoy
01-04-2006, 09:31 PM
That sounds alittle more like it.Acceptable at that.I think if i'm free next tues i might go over to city hall and sit in.If not atleast try to watch the tv.
I think the wife may be there also......

OutCole'd
01-04-2006, 09:32 PM
Aint that the truth. I always like hanging there, but lately it has gotten to be a nightmare, kinda like watching a Nascar race at Talladega. Just watching, waiting for the big pile up.
I hope they don't close it though, because it will just put lots of drunk boaters someplace else on the lake, probably closer to me, where I'm just trying to kick it with the family.

shadow
01-04-2006, 09:43 PM
I think the wife may be there also......
Will you please ask her to wear a thong and pasties?I'll bring some alcohol and loud music. :D

Kilrtoy
01-04-2006, 09:55 PM
Will you please ask her to wear a thong and pasties?I'll bring some alcohol and loud music. :D
SHE ALWAYS AND ONLY WEARS THONGS.......

Ultrafied
01-04-2006, 10:08 PM
Dah ... be nice ... we all have our own opinions. :D

Phat Matt
01-04-2006, 10:24 PM
Aint that the truth. I always like hanging there, but lately it has gotten to be a nightmare, kinda like watching a Nascar race at Talladega. Just watching, waiting for the big pile up.
I hope they don't close it though, because it will just put lots of drunk boaters someplace else on the lake, probably closer to me, where I'm just trying to kick it with the family.
Where else do you like to hang out? :rollside:

shueman
01-04-2006, 10:39 PM
with another bunch of BS discussions about the Channel.
Anyone else getting sick of these jerks with their heads up their asses? They just don't get it - a large part of this town survives on boaters dollars.
Close it down....let the dust settle. Take your drinking party somewhere else. Alcohol and water don't mix. The true boating community will continue to come and the local economy will survive.

mbrown2
01-04-2006, 10:45 PM
Not me....its those deck boat dudes with all the woooooofffferrs...:)

mbrown2
01-04-2006, 10:45 PM
Yeah? 99% of the time i haven't heard any loud music from anyone parked
next to me. :)
LMAO...that's funny!

HocusPocus
01-04-2006, 11:06 PM
i don't go to the channel on the weekends or any big holidays... its easy enough to avoid so i don't need to go anywhere else.
thank you.
It seems that if LE would go out and shakedown the channel it would take care of things pretty fast. They should go in and beat some fools. Its not hard to figure out who needs a beating 60 dirtbags around one boat smokin weed and scaring off cool familys.
Lets see who Do you think is spending more money in town?
Dirt bags 20 to a hotel room, 3 squares at taco bell a day and as much beer as they can consume for three days.
Family that owns a house in town property tax/utility bills/boat repairs/grocerys/maybe had a pool built or garage added. goes out 10-20 times a years and dumps coin.
well said, i have been a homeowner in Havasu for the past 17+ years and even when we arn't using the house we have friends and relatives who do. its the "dirtbags" we could do without. :)

TCHB
01-05-2006, 04:54 AM
The police ignore the idiots in the channel!! I saw a couple guys on the beach drinking and throwing cans on the shore and police just drove on by. If they would enforce the laws we have it would clean up quickly.

OutCole'd
01-05-2006, 06:05 AM
Where else do you like to hang out? :rollside:
Please, you are no gang bangin thug, plus Jen is Hot. I'll let you know.

Havasu_Dreamin
01-05-2006, 07:24 AM
Latest article from Todays News Herald
Business owners upset over threat of closure
By Brian DiTullio
Wednesday, January 4, 2006 10:18 PM MST
Owners of businesses in and along the Bridgewater Channel are furious over City Council's desire to eliminate mooring in the manmade waterway.
Today's News-Herald was not able to contact every business in that district, but all owners and managers who spoke with the paper expressed anger and frustration over City Council's latest attempt to put more controls over the area due to rowdy behavior.
“I just think that putting forth the idea of closing the Channel shows a lack of understanding of tourism in Lake Havasu City,” said Kathy Johnson, owner of Wild Things. “On holiday weekends there are some issues, but every other weekend it's pretty even.”
Mayor Harvey Jackson directed city attorney Matt Podracky to draw up some ordinances for consideration that would eliminate mooring and beaching in Bridgewater Channel at a work session Tuesday night after a presentation on rowdy behavior in the area during the summer boating season.
“It's going to kill business,” said Little River Rats owner Debra Kramer on Council's decision. “There won't be any foot traffic. The merchants are going to have to close.”
London Bridge Ice Cream Parlor owner Mike Sabo reserved his wrath for Jackson. The mayor initially proposed shutting the Channel down Tuesday night at a work session.
“He's on a major ego trip,” said Sabo. “He's against tourism and I knew he was trying to pull a quick one. I didn't vote for him, and the prospect of Harvey controlling the English Village is a scary thing. There's a lot of ticked off people down here.”
Jackson responded to the comments on Wednesday by reiterating his statements at the City Council meeting, but added there hasn't been a public debate on the issue yet and that his discussions with the locals indicate they are fed up with the tourists taking over the Channel.
“We should have our own right to be there,” said Jackson. “I gave up my boat last fall because it was getting to be too much trouble.”
Commentary: If you close it to morring that leaves the locals out of luck as well! Also, what about the tourists rights to use the beach area?
Jackson also pointed out that no law enforcement agencies have put up with the rowdy crowds no matter where they settled, and said Lake Havasu City just happens to be the current hangout.
As for the concerns of business owners, Jackson said it was an accident of location as it concerned the mooring issue and that they had “no vested right” to that kind of crowd.
“There are safety issues to think about,” said Jackson.
Dallas Finch, manager of Kokomo, addressed those statements by comparing the Channel to State Route 95.
“It's a thoroughfare, it's just like a street,” said Finch. “It just happens to be water.”
Pointing out that police patrol the Channel just like they do the highway, Finch said police don't shut down highways and roads because of alcohol problems or disorderly conduct. “It would be ludicrous to do it on the highway, so why would you do it on the Channel?”
Finch said people want to be in Lake Havasu City, a statement supported by Johnson.
“Lake Havasu City offers someplace to go,” said Johnson. “You can go to any lake and just tool around. Here, you can walk off and into town.”
“The people want to be here,” said Finch. “You can regulate the Channel. You can put a checkpoint in front of it. They do it on the streets all the time.”
Signs put up in May 2005 caused immediate uproar from businesses in and around the Channel, and City Council modified their directives shortly after. The area business owners stated at the time that closing the channel to boaters could cripple their businesses, as the foot traffic on the beach would disappear.
Councilwoman Cindy Aldridge voiced her opposition to the “no mooring” proposal, citing last year's events as a reason.
Since the meeting was a work session, no votes were taken, but the issue is being scheduled for a future meeting when the ordinances are ready for presentation.
More commentary: Enforce the laws already on the books if you want to change the behavior. Also, I bet some of the locals engage in the very behavior they want to get rid of.

LHC30Victory
01-05-2006, 08:43 AM
I bet some of the locals engage in the very behavior they want to get rid of.
And who are you thinking of? :argue: :)

Havasu_Dreamin
01-05-2006, 09:23 AM
And who are you thinking of? :argue: :)
No one in particular but if they think it is only the tourists they are sadly mistaken.

Liquid Courage
01-05-2006, 10:22 AM
The problems with the channel do need to be addressed. It has gotten WAY to crazy out there over the last few years and seems to get worse every year. However, closing the whole channel down is a bit extreme. It just pushes the problems elsewhere on the lake. Like I said before. The one-way rule and limiting some of the mooring would be a large help. Maybe pass an ordinance of no open containers on land. That would help restrict the loosers from running a muck and give LE a little more opportunity to contact people.