PDA

View Full Version : IPOD in the boat

moneypit
06-01-2006, 02:15 PM
Anyone use one...? What do I need to make this happen. Im ipod illiterate but I have tons of music on my puter.

Jyruiz
06-01-2006, 02:18 PM
Lots of ways to make it work, what kind of deck do you have?

Rocknpalms
06-01-2006, 02:23 PM
Anyone use one...? What do I need to make this happen. Im ipod illiterate but I have tons of music on my puter.
We use ares in the truck to the river, at the house hooked to the stereo system and then in the boat.
For the truck we use a 12v powered FM transmitter by Monster. It charges the Ipod and sounds OK.
At the house we plug the Ipod into the stereo via the headphone jack to the rc or fiber optic imput and this sounds great.
For the boat we plug in a small FM transmitter called and I trip. It gets its power from the Ipod. This unit works OK if the Ipod is left near the radio. Best would be direct plug in.

Havasu_Dreamin
06-01-2006, 02:52 PM
The larger iPods are basically portable disk drives with movning parts. For this reason it would seem to make more sense to use the iPod Nano as it uses flash memeory, sort of like a memory stick, as opposed to a spinning drive. Seems to be more conducive to an environment that can be far from smooth sailing.....I do not know what the limitations, if any, are for using the iPod Nano and connecting to a head unit in a boat. I would think the standard iPod adapters would work with the Nano as well.

bocco
06-01-2006, 02:57 PM
I have pluged one directly into my amp. No deck at all. Works great.

Moabirick
06-01-2006, 02:57 PM
I use to use an FM transmitter with my Ipod 5 generation. Clarity is ok, but could not get it loud enough. Recently purchased a Kenwod Ipod adapter that hooks up directly to the CD changer output on my deck, then goes to a small box, then hooks to my Ipod which I leave in my storage compartment. I can then controll the Ipod from my deck. It takes a little bit of know how to control from the deck, especially if you don't have your music organized into playlists. My Ipod is one of the larger ones, I have had it in the heat and pounding in the boat, never with any skips or problems. I also tried the RCA through the earphone plug, but still, you dont get the clarity or volume that you get with the adapter.

marty722
06-01-2006, 03:15 PM
apple sound system and made a box for under the deck and it runs on batteries. Goes about 7hrs but I rigged up a portable power source and also mounted it and this will last all day. I have to take the portable compressor out at night and charge it. Works great... White mans way of doing it....

moneypit
06-01-2006, 03:15 PM
I am using the Clarion XMD3 head unit. The CD player is broke. I have Satelitte hooked up. But its still like listening to the music you want. So I thought an IPOD player would be better.

moneypit
06-01-2006, 03:18 PM
Recently purchased a Kenwod Ipod adapter that hooks up directly to the CD changer output on my deck, .
Is that because you dont have a CD changer installed? I have that same port on my radio that im not using. Maybe i can do the same thing.

BajaMike
06-01-2006, 03:32 PM
Is that because you dont have a CD changer installed? I have that same port on my radio that im not using. Maybe i can do the same thing.
If you have an aux in on your stereo, use that. The FM adapters are crappy and the casette adapters are almost as bad.
Just run a headphone type cable from the headphone jack on the ipod to the aux in on the stereo....
:idea:
:rollside:

TYREPEDDLER
06-01-2006, 04:21 PM
I have a pionner deck that is conected to a ipod interface that is wired into my glove box. Just plug in the ipod and everything is controled from the deck. Sounds much better that fm or headphone to rc jacks

Sotally Tober
06-01-2006, 04:29 PM
I am using the Clarion XMD3 head unit. The CD player is broke. I have Satelitte hooked up. But its still like listening to the music you want. So I thought an IPOD player would be better.
I had the same deck and used a $9 headphone to RCA to the aux input. Sounded great. I now have the CMD4. Wired the same way. I got the wire at Best Buy. I run tho IPOD Video 60G with no problems. It does not charge it but it has a lot of battery run time.

moneypit
06-01-2006, 06:29 PM
I have a pionner deck that is conected to a ipod interface
What Interface? Where do you find em?

mexrunner
06-01-2006, 06:33 PM
I've run one for about 6 months now and works excellent used a headphone jack to a/v jack adapter then split the channels into my amps works great adjust volume on the i pod and can run a sirus unit the same way.for me i love it i keep it in an otter box ipod case right next to me and never worry about it getting wet and it cleared up dash space. also never had a problem with it skipin and battery normal will last longer than i can stand to be in the boat.
Adam

DD_Tahiti
06-01-2006, 07:06 PM
The Pioneer interface is the CB-IB100.
I use the Alpine 9857 head unit, which has full speed IPOD interface. No need to use an adapter. BY FAR, BY FAR, BY FAR, the best, easiest to use, most intuitive interface between IPOD and head unit ever, and I've used them all.
Do these headunits have the IPOD software built into them? Or do you still contol the IPOD off of the IPOD controls?

phebus
06-01-2006, 07:07 PM
The Pioneer interface is the CB-IB100.
I use the Alpine 9857 head unit, which has full speed IPOD interface. No need to use an adapter. BY FAR, BY FAR, BY FAR, the best, easiest to use, most intuitive interface between IPOD and head unit ever, and I've used them all.
Hey, that's what I want to use, but I can't find out how to hook up wired remotes to it :rollside:

HavasuHome
06-01-2006, 07:21 PM
Which Ipod's are you guys using and do you find any skip with them while underway. Was thinking of useing the Ipod instead of a multiple CD player.

Rocknpalms
06-01-2006, 07:23 PM
Which Ipod's are you guys using and do you find any skip with them while underway. Was thinking of useing the Ipod instead of a multiple CD player.
Older 20gb never a skip.

phebus
06-01-2006, 07:26 PM
If your IPOD skips, there's something wrong with it.
Or, you'r playing Techno, and it just sounds like it's skipping :rollside:

DD_Tahiti
06-01-2006, 07:26 PM
I have DVD/MP3 head units in all of my rides (both trucks, toy hauler, baja and boat). If you mount them right they will never skip and you can fit loads of music on one CD and even have them organized like an IPOD. And the cost is much cheaper over all.

moneypit
06-01-2006, 07:30 PM
I found a interface that will work with my Clarion. It sounds as though you cant control your IPOD once its plugged into this gadget. It says that you control your IPOD through your reciever which means scrolling for a specific song is hard. It also says it doesnt recognize ID3 tags..
But the sound quality is supposed to be great.

Sotally Tober
06-01-2006, 07:42 PM
I found a interface that will work with my Clarion. It sounds as though you cant control your IPOD once its plugged into this gadget. It says that you control your IPOD through your reciever which means scrolling for a specific song is hard. It also says it doesnt recognize ID3 tags..
But the sound quality is supposed to be great.
If it is the Clarion one do not waste your time. It will only let you switch between 5 playlists. That is it. The 5 lists are changed like a CD changer. You can not find individual songs.

DD_Tahiti
06-01-2006, 07:54 PM
Never is an extreme word. I'd venture a guess to say that I mount more head units RIGHT than anybody on this board and they all skip to some degree.
IPOD = $300
Never having to look for a disc or worry about it being scratched = priceless
LoL.... Never is a strong word. My bro is a professional installer who does sowe wicked stuff for some high comp people. None of my stuff is all that, but he has shown me the tricks to get them installed correctly. I only have a 18ft boat and we get beat to hell. My disks have never skipped. I also run the same setup in my baja and we run pretty hard, I can't say never, but I never recall it skipping. Anyway, buying a blank DVD for 50 cent is way more worth it in my opinion then spending $300 for an IPOD. Plus, I don't think they make an IPOD big enough to hold my entire collection. I can spend pennies on the dollar for the same amount of music :rollside: . But to each their own.