PDA

View Full Version : To the Sandbar on Saturday

Trout66
06-01-2006, 06:40 PM
OK, what's the deal? Is there a no wake zone in the gorge or what? Im going to Havasu this saturday and don't want to get written up. If Im coming from Needles to the sandbar, where should I slow down. Thanks in advace.

CMATT21
06-01-2006, 07:13 PM
I think a NO WAKE ZONE would be posted with a buoy. When you get to the beautiful red rocks and cliffs start slowing down.

sleekcraft137
06-01-2006, 07:15 PM
I think a NO WAKE ZONE would be posted with a buoy.
Ditto, just keep a look out

Havasu1986
06-01-2006, 07:17 PM
There was no bouys last Fri. I think its a rumor

Roxysnow
06-01-2006, 07:32 PM
I recall no bouys either on Saturday too.

Procraftkev
06-01-2006, 07:44 PM
I didnt see any bouys,The talk was right around topock. :cool:

Havasu_Dreamin
06-01-2006, 07:48 PM
There was no bouys last Fri. I think its a rumor
Below is the email response I got from the Refuge Manager. It is no rumor, at least according to his email. But whoknows when it will be established.
You are one of many individuals who recently have had questions regarding boat use on Havasu NWR. Your presumptions are correct; Havasu NWR manages the waters of the Colorado River within Topock Gorge (The following areas of the lake and river are part of the refuge: the Arizona portions of the lake and shoreline from Lake Havasu State Park at Windsor Beach north to the river entrance near of Catfish Bay, all of the river and both shorelines Arizona and California) to about the I-40 bridge, and the Arizona portion of the river and shoreline for 10 miles north of the I-40 bridge). We are establishing the No Wake zone in Devil's Elbow. We are one of many law enforcement agencies that enforce laws on the refuge. I don't expect that you will see an increase in U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service law enforcement patrols. The gorge has been part of the refuge (and as such, patrolled by refuge officers) since the refuge's establishment in the early 40s. We have always patrolled the river and will continue.
National wildlife refuges are unique areas that have purposes and protections different from most other types of public lands and waters. We must ensure that all public use activities are safe and compatible with the purposes of the refuge. With this in mind, I will try to answer your questions...
- Any activity creating noise at extreme volumes is disturbing to wildlife and reduces the value of the refuge to wildlife (and visitors). The noise created by many of the boats traveling through the refuge is extreme and their use is incompatible with the purposes of the refuge. As to the definition of loud, National Wildlife Refuge regulations are provided in 50 CFR (Code of Federal Regulations; available on-line). Disturbing with vehicles regulations are provided at 50 CFR 27.21(e)(1). This section does not indicate a specific decibel level that is considered too loud; it states simply a vehicle that produces unusual or excessive noise... is prohibited. Refuge officers typically refer to state noise regulations for guidance. Most boats we have stopped for excessive noise are in very clear violation of state law. If you comply with Arizona and/or California law, you will be O.K. on the refuge in most instances. Also, 50 CFR 27.21(e)(1) requires that every vehicle operated on a national wildlife refuge be equipped with a muffling device that cannot be bypassed.
- We are establishing another No Wake zone. This area, located just upstream of Lake Havasu on the Arizona side, does not include any of the main channel and is intended to protect backwater marsh habitat.
- National Wildlife Refuge rules/regulations will be applied to all users.
I hope this answers your questions. Please feel free to contact the refuge anytime, we appreciate your interest.
John Earle
Refuge Manager
Havasu National Wildlife Refuge
PO Box 3009
Needles, California 92363
(760) 326-3853