PDA

View Full Version : What boat do I buy

dutchie
06-02-2006, 03:44 PM
I'm looking to buy a boat. I will be using it for tubing, skiing, etc as well as general cruising. I have 4 small children so it should be large enough for 6 plus friends as well as meet our needs in the future. I was thinking about a 17-20 foot runabout with a IB V-6. Any suggestions? :)

OGShocker
06-02-2006, 03:58 PM
I have no suggestions, but good luck!! See you on the water!

Ziggy
06-02-2006, 04:01 PM
Much would depend on where you plan to use it.....Lots of boats can fill the needs you have, some are just more appropriate in certain bodies of water.
Tell us more and you might get some good help...........

riverracerx
06-02-2006, 04:02 PM
A nice used Nordic? :cool:

Redneck
06-02-2006, 06:23 PM
I'm looking to buy a boat. I will be using it for tubing, skiing, etc as well as general cruising. I have 4 small children so it should be large enough for 6 plus friends as well as meet our needs in the future. I was thinking about a 17-20 foot runabout with a IB V-6. Any suggestions? :)
wht about the 20 ft dana

Tom Brown
06-02-2006, 06:40 PM
How much does your wife weigh, dutchie? :idea:

burtandnancy
06-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Man, have you opened up a can of worms...

Forkin' Crazy
06-02-2006, 08:19 PM
IB V6 that will hold 6 folks and pull skiers... good luck!!! :220v:
Allison Grand Sport would be my choice.
http://www.allisonboats.com/sportboats/images/grandsport_white.jpg

Old Texan
06-02-2006, 08:23 PM
17-20 is pretty small and especially w/ 4 kids, they grow fast. I'd start with 22-25 and you won't be wanting more room so fast. 350 Mag in about that size will do most of what you want and still have some economy.
My opinion.

Throttle
06-02-2006, 08:28 PM
i have no comment...
get one that fits your needs the first time...

dutchie
06-02-2006, 09:38 PM
I'll be using it on small to mid sized lakes in the interior of BC, Canada.

OGShocker
06-02-2006, 11:06 PM
I'll be using it on small to mid sized lakes in the interior of BC, Canada as an Ice Crusher
OK, I added the ice crusher stuff.. As a Proud illegal from Canada I felt it was important to perpetuate the myth Canada is always frozen.

dutchie
06-03-2006, 12:53 PM
Yes, we have a two week period where the lakes aren't frozen over and we can go boating. That is if we can fight the Indians to get to the boat launch. He have however just installed electricity in our Igloos, which seems to work. Apparently we may get paved roads soon; if this Global warming thing pans out and we get the frost out of the ground, eh.
Any other stupid Canada comments?
:argue:

loudpipessavelives
06-03-2006, 01:05 PM
we have a 22' Hurricane deck boat with a 200 merc that works great, It has a regular hull so it pulls tubers and skiers great and its like a pontoon on top so you can sit back and relax, maybe that would work for you?

catman-do
06-03-2006, 01:18 PM
If its your first boat I would deffinately start out with something that you wont loose too much money on if you decide that you hate the lake. My personal experience with boats is:
Reinell 19ft: Was my first boat, runs good, top speed was about 42mph, kinda crampt space once there was more than four people, open bow, great hull construction. Had a v6
FourWinns 23 deckboat: Piece of shite, the screw came out of the windows, faucet fell through the sink, and bathroom door hinges came unscrewed alot. The hull design sucked because the thing was rough riding once any chop came. However it did fit alot of people, was great for wakeboarding and toobing. w/ a v8 i was doing about 48
Ultra 27Shadow: This is the new boat. My needs have changed and I no longer can toob and wakeboard from dirtbike injuries so I just want to go fast. The boat runs awesome, handles amazing in chop, and has a great system. The wierd thing is that this boat gets better gas milage than either of the smaller boats with smaller motors. Ive gotten it to 76 mph. Plenty of room and the people at Ultra are always there to help and answer questions.
Sit in the boats and feel which one is most comfortable. If your just going toobing all those boats would be great. Since your in Canada I dont imagine there is all too many people creating chop so they would all probably handle fine.

Chubby4Life
06-03-2006, 01:20 PM
Yes, we have a two week period where the lakes aren't frozen over and we can go boating. That is if we can fight the Indians to get to the boat launch. He have however just installed electricity in our Igloos, which seems to work. Apparently we may get paved roads soon; if this Global warming thing pans out and we get the frost out of the ground, eh.
America Junior, what are you complaining aboot now? Just go oot and enjoy the sunshine! :D :D :D :D
P.S. don't get impatient with your search for a boat. It took months for us to finally chose our first boat.

KineticoH20
06-03-2006, 01:21 PM
Sounds to me like your looking for a Bayliner!

ThongMagnet
06-03-2006, 01:51 PM
Buy something used, v-8 merc(5.0 ok), openbow (more room), 19ft minimum, have them include all boating equipment (lifevests,skis,etc...).
Have Jordy@ Team Turnkey check it out for you. :idea: :mix:

TRUMP TIGHT
06-03-2006, 03:46 PM
2003 Baja Outlaw 20’
260 horsepower Mercruiser 5.0 MPI, fuel injected engine, with Performance Package
Extended warranty on engine and outdrive until June, 2007
White with red and yellow flames
4 blade stainless speed prop, 60 mph @4800 rpm
Extra aluminum prop
Livorsi control levers and gages
Near new Optima battery
120 hours, 0 hours since 100 hour service
Outlaw Performance Package, includes
Thru hull exhaust with Corsa muffler tips
Trim switch on steering column
Depth finder
Automatic fire extinguishing system
Also has:
Duel billet aluminum swim steps, powder coated in matching red color
Phat Budde wake board tower, powder coated red, with rear facing speakers
Integrated bimini top in red
Near new $5,000 stereo with CD and with Ipod and satellite radio inputs, (2) 1000 watt amps, (2) 6 x 9 speakers in enclosures under the deck, (2) 6x6 speakers in cockpit, (2) 6 x 6 speakers in wake board tower, and (1) bass enclosure under the deck.
Sunbrella canvas cockpit cover
Double axel trailer with disk brakes and chrome wheels
$28,000 (over $40k new)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/502/1098Outlaw20-Lake_Powell2.JPG
Very nice boat, never been in the shop except for 25 hr and 100 hr service, very reliable, goes fast (60 mph) and good for wakeboarding and skiing.
:rollside:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1098DSCF0003.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1098DSCF0005.JPG
I'm buying a bigger boat, this one has to go!
Perfect boat for your needs...if you can live with a closed bow.

Seadog
06-03-2006, 04:44 PM
You may not want to hear this, but for what you are talking about, a pontoon or deckboat is going to be your best bet. A good 22'+ pontoon triple log with 150+ OB or V6 I/O will do what you are wanting to do. A deckboat is nicer looking, but will need more power, at least a V8.

dutchie
06-03-2006, 10:44 PM
I got a line on a '99 Bayliner Capri 20.5' with 5.0 litre merc. 35 hours, any good? What should I watch out for?

Kilrtoy
06-03-2006, 11:35 PM
a nice brand new STINGRAY a 19 or 20 footer

Eliminator 4 Life
06-04-2006, 06:26 AM
I got a line on a '99 Bayliner Capri 20.5' with 5.0 litre merc. 35 hours, any good? What should I watch out for?
Well remember the bayliner is a chopper gun boat. If its something they are selling cheap and you are only gonna use it for a couple of years to see if you like it this might be an option. Just remember they should be selling it cheap cause it was cheap when they bought it. I dont know how rough the water gets there in Canada where you go boating. This boat is very popular and it has a nice deep V and it is very roomy inside and priced very nice. Let me know if I can help you.
http://www.montereyboats.com/Boat.aspx?id=153

AZ CAJUN
06-04-2006, 08:10 PM
Just keep it to Five and The 7.4 will handle the tube.

Partycattin
06-05-2006, 09:30 AM
If your set on the 4.3 then your probably looking for a production boat.
I would lean towards Chaparrel, Sea Ray. Not sure I would ever buy a Bayliner.
I had a 20' Cheetah Open Bow with a 4.3. Boat actually pulled pretty hard for skiing and such. Great fuel economy but not a lot of room and definetly a rough ride in Havasu chop. A great boat for a calm lake though. Boat could hit 50mph on a good day. Ran the thing pretty hard for 10 years with no major engine problems.