PDA

View Full Version : CHP shooting in Needles

Not So Fast
06-03-2006, 10:42 AM
Just heard a report of a shooting involving a CHP in Needles. No officers were hurt but suspect apparently is dead. Details later if its true, what a shame! :frown: NSF

jjk94
06-06-2006, 09:03 PM
If it was saturday CHP said shooting with sheriff. We drove by and looked like mini truck and yellow tarp on ground. Lots of units and helicopter,

ultra27jay
06-06-2006, 09:29 PM
I Drove By And Saw The Same Thing. Yellow Tarp And A Persons Hand Sticking Out Of The Tarp. It Was A Total Csi Thing Going On...

al cole'holic
06-06-2006, 09:34 PM
...that's hot.

Beer-30
06-06-2006, 09:38 PM
"WHY DID YOU UNLOAD 34 ROUNDS ON ONE GUY!?!"
"That's all I had."

ultra27jay
06-06-2006, 09:42 PM
Whats Going On Craven!!!!!!

Kilrtoy
06-06-2006, 09:42 PM
Guess he messed with the wrong bowtie....

Beer-30
06-06-2006, 09:49 PM
Guess he messed with the wrong bowtie....
No one said it was a motor :)

Huckleberry
06-06-2006, 10:05 PM
We drove past it Saturday AM shortly after it happened. A white tatted-up parolee looking dude was lying face up in the EB #2 lane of I-40 with multiple gunshot wounds to his chest area. He was DRT (Dead Right There). It appeared that he got out of his pickup and was shot right after exiting the truck. We thought it was kinda odd they had not covered the body. I know we get in some serious doo doo if we don't cover it as soon as is reasonable, especially when the world is parading by. SBSO units were just starting to set up their crime scene tape. I'm guessing they covered the body pretty soon after they arrived.
On the plus side...It did not appear there were any of the good guys hurt, and some pretty dsarn good shooting from the CHP officer.

Huckleberry
06-06-2006, 10:06 PM
There were two CHP cruisers there, no motors.

Kilrtoy
06-06-2006, 10:09 PM
He must have been at one time, they are the only ones that can shoot right :boxed:

Beer-30
06-06-2006, 10:16 PM
He must have been at one time, they are the only ones that can shoot right :boxed:
True, car cops just drive better. :)

Kilrtoy
06-06-2006, 10:28 PM
True, car cops just drive better. :)
Don't know about that either :boxed:
http://67.19.177.10/newphotos/police/police065.jpg

MudPumper
06-06-2006, 10:28 PM
what a shame! :frown: NSF
Why is it a Shame???

vdrivenman
06-07-2006, 02:57 AM
that had to have left a mark !
who hasn't totaled at least one ruiser during their career or wrecked their scooter.
u drive that many miles a day under those conditions it is going to happen !
u just gotta look for the softest thing to hit !

Flying Tiger
06-07-2006, 03:16 AM
Don't know about that either :boxed:
http://67.19.177.10/newphotos/police/police065.jpg
Looks like a Canadian taxicab to me

LUVNLIFE
06-07-2006, 04:11 AM
Looks like a Canadian taxicab to me
Except it says Trooper on the front and the side has HP for highway patrol on it.

Riomouse911
06-07-2006, 04:19 AM
I think the guy was wanted for an armed robbery in the Central Valley area. The description was broadcast, and the patrolman stopped him as he was heading East. He jumped out with a gun, and was kilt. I also heard the guy was a hard-timer from Oklahoma with prior violent crimes, so he wasn't gonna go down easy.
As far as "covering the body", thats usually a traffic wreck thing. Bodies hitting other cars, concrete walls or other things inside of cars don't have the kinds of evidence homicide investigators are looking for. Trace evidence (fiber, powder traces, trauma, DNA etc.) is located on homicide victims (justifiable shootings are still called "homicide" by the Coroner, it just means killed by another human being).
We don't cover them as a rule because that kind evidence gets destroyed, contaminated or otherwise compromised. I know this upsets victim's families and the passers-by when a body is lying out in the open, but the public wants the suspect's caught and the evidence protected so the creeps don't get off (OJ anyone?). The ONLY way to do that is to try to maintain as pristine a scene as possible for the investigators. As a side; thats why the fire depts were often called "the evidence eradication squads" when they trooped through scenes with medical kits for victims and broke out hoses to wash blood down the gutters.. we work together on these scenes a lot better now.

Riomouse911
06-07-2006, 04:22 AM
Oh, and the Trooper car is a Florida Highway Patrol car.. they have a tan over dark brown color scheme.

uvindex
06-07-2006, 05:15 AM
From www.cbs47.tv:
http://www.centralmediaserver.com/kgpe/douglas%20murrin.jpg
The San Bernardino County Coroner has positively identified the suspect in the Friday robbery of the Golden One Credit Union in Clovis.
So how are Fresno County and San Bernadino County connected? Authorities say he is the same man who pointed a gun at a CHP officer Saturday morning before being shot to death on Interstate 40 west of Needles.
The positive ID has come back as 48 year old Douglas Len Murrin.
The robbery at the Credit Union in Clovis took place just before 5 o'clock Friday evening. The next morning, the CHP officer stopped Murrin for an infraction about 7:30AM, and that's when officers say Murrin pulled the gun.
On Saturday morning, Clovis Police received an anonymous phone call from someone who said he recognized the man in the credit union robbery picture shown on the news. Clovis detectives found his mug shot, and discovered he was a California parolee living in Oklahoma. Witnesses of the robbery positively identified Murrin as the bandit.
Ironically, Murrin was already dead before the Clovis investigation got underway. It wasn't until Saturday evening Clovis Police learned of a possible link between the two cases as the result of matching descriptions of the suspect.

phebus
06-07-2006, 05:26 AM
Maybe he was just taking a dirt nap :rollside:

Sherpa
06-07-2006, 05:33 AM
AWESOM JOB BY THE CHP-!
good shooting............... That officer should get a commendation for the whole deal! and maybe some sort of cash reward for saving the state literally
hundreds of thousands of dollars to take this creep to trial, convict, feed and
house the scum for the rest of his crappy life....
--Sherpa

fasthtm
06-07-2006, 06:20 AM
We drove through there about 9:45 ish. Saw the body laying there right next to the pick up truck. There was about 5 officers just standing there behind there the patrol cars. It was right at the construction area of the I 40 where its down to 1 lane. It would haved been nice if they did cover the body - it was a little akward explaining to a 10 year old and a 8 year old why there was a body just laying there. But now I can explain to them that he was a bad guy and the good guys took him down so that he could not hurt anybody else.

Not So Fast
06-07-2006, 06:49 AM
Why is it a Shame???
Bad choice of words I guess????? The victim was totally wrong in his actions and the CHP reacted correctly. I guess what I mean is what effect killing another human being might have on the officer. I know that a lot of people say they could actually kill another person but actually doing it with no remorse would be difficult, it's not a pretty sight. As far as the victim goes, he did get what he deserved and the CHP did us a favor by getting rid of him quickly, my concern was for the lingering effects on him thats all. It was a good shoot as they say! Peace, NSF