PDA

View Full Version : DCB Mach 22.....

Jrocket
12-20-2001, 06:48 PM
Wondering if anybody here has a Mach 22 with twin or single outboards on it? The one boat I'm interested in is the Mach 22 with twin Merc 2.5 drag motors.I've read the test in Hot Boat,but wonder if one of the readers in here might own one.Has anybody ridden in or have some info on this boat?...Thanks JR

kab
12-21-2001, 06:58 AM
I owned one for almost two years, just sold it to step up to the Mach 26. What do you want to know?

Jrocket
12-22-2001, 09:27 PM
Hey Kab.Well I got alot of questions but for now,what motors did you run?Where they the drag 2.5's? What was the ride like when in the triple digit range?Hows the feel when in chop?Does it walk around alot or track fairly straight at high speeds?...Just would like basically to know if the 85 grand is worth it to spend on a relatively small hull like that?If the speeds are true for the twin drag 2.5's. Then 124 or so mph seems like alot of fun.Is there a draw back to this set up that you can think of?......Thanks for the reply......JR

chad
12-23-2001, 02:40 PM
I have a Mach22 with twin 2.5s. The boat is extremely stable and tracks straight at all speeds. Doesn't porpoise at all but it isn't a great rough water boat. My buddy owns the same boat with twin 2.5drags. The difference between the 2 is that I run 115 and he runs 125. They are really close in acceleration up to about 100mph then the drags seem to pull away. The acceleration of the twins is incredible. With this boat you give up some rough water capabilities but when the conditions are fairly good there aren't very many boats that are going to be able to run with you. I know my buddy is happy with the drags but the only drawback of them is they are a bit tempermental however, after a little use you should be able to dial yourself in to where the motors are hassle free.

Jrocket
12-23-2001, 05:07 PM
Chad,thanks for the reply.If ya have some pics of either of those two boats I would like to see them.I'm thinking of going with the drag motors,what are the tempermental things it will do?Did you get your boat new or used?Where do ya do your boating mainly?I run a single 2.5 260 on a 20' tunnel know.Runs around 90 to 95 on a good day.So I have a idea of what to expect from the mercs on the temper side.But as for the excelleration of twins,that has to be felt I would imagine.I really need to ride in one I guess.If ya have some more info or suggestions about buying one,I'm all ears.......JR

Cole
12-23-2001, 06:47 PM
jrocket,
i'v been doing a lot of research on outboards and i would be carefull of drag motors, very very high maintence,also need to use "racing fuel" big pain in the ass.what year are the motors?how many hours? and have they been rebuilt?may want to pick up a hot boat or powerboat and call some of the OB shops and pick there brains,i did and its nice to be a little educated on this!!!!! Cole

Jrocket
12-27-2001, 04:06 PM
Cole,I hear what your saying.I'm already clued in on the high performance up keep.But I do appreciate the info from ya.The problem is my mind is set on this set up of Merc drags and the Mach 22 hull.If I cant get one in my price range,then I will have to go to plan "B"....So if any Mach 22 with twin outboard owners see a little 20' tunnel chasing ya down.Let me catch up,I want a ride in ya boat....Thanks Johnny Rocket

rivercrazy
12-27-2001, 04:25 PM
How would a 22 DCB with the same twin outboards compare to a 21' Liberator in terms of performance???

Jrocket
12-27-2001, 04:41 PM
Thats a good question,for which I have know idea.......JR

WILDMAN
12-27-2001, 08:45 PM
I have a 1996 Liberator with twin 260's. With one person I can run 124 with 32 merc cleavers at 8200 rpm. It runs straight with no porpoise and it runs flat to the water. I know a guy in Texas, that has a 1998 21 liberator with twin 300 drags, and he runs 136-138 on gps. It was for sale for $38000. Dave at Liberator has his phone no. Dave's no. is 817-297-2465. Tell him, Randy in Florida told you to call. He can also build you a new one with 2.5s for around 60k. You can see pics of mine at preowned-boats.net/21liberator.htm

chad
12-27-2001, 10:45 PM
JRocket, I figured that it would be easier for me to reply to your earlier message than for you to try and run down the 22 w/twins. Hate to see the motor blow if you are going to sell the boat. All kidding aside, if you are serious about a 22, post your email address and I will contact you next time I go to Havasu. I would be happy to give you a ride. Should be going to Havasu in the next few weeks. As far as drags and race gas, AV gas does just fine and in Havasu it is readily available.

Jrocket
12-28-2001, 06:06 PM
Chad..Oh so true.I thank you and so does my motor.I couldnt catch one of those twins.As for going to Havasu..I'm there,just let me know when....JR

HavasuBarney
12-29-2001, 01:09 AM
Rivercrazy, it's not a fair comparison, the 21ft Liberator is much lighter than a 22ft DCB.
Running 115 with stock motors on a 22ft DCB is very strong.

Charley
12-29-2001, 09:11 AM
Wildman if that boat at pre-owned boats.com is really yours.....then your screen name suits you perfectly...That thing looks like an "E" ticket...nice boat!

WILDMAN
12-29-2001, 08:35 PM
Yea, that's my boat. My friend from New York has that website to sell his boats. He put mine on there so I could show people. My other boat is at preowned-boats.net/21rallysport.htm and it's for sale. Same as a 21 superboat. Actually WILDMAN has been my nickname since the 70's. I'm much calmer now! but my wife still wants to know when I'm going to grow up! NEVER!!! see-ya WILDMAN