PDA

View Full Version : The Crusade Continues! Mike McGookin & Catalina

catalinaskiracer
06-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Forwarded from catalinaskiracer :
To all you Hot Boaters!
I want to first begin this by giving a quick synopsis of what is going on. As some of you know and some don't my cousin was diagnosed with Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis, a rare liver disease in 1995 and was put on the transplant list in 2003. Because of the length of the transplant list in California and how sick Mike had become Mike & family, in 2005 moved to Utah where he ranked much higher on the list. The problem with moving to save his life was his insurance company, a California based company, after 2 appeals said they would not cover the surgery if they opted to move leaving them to have to pay. After 2 weeks in the Hospital at the end of March he finally received his liver and got transplanted on April 6th of 2006! Mike is doing well and recovery couldn't be better! With that said I would first like to say, on behalf of myself, Mike and his family THANK EVERYONE from the bottom of hearts who have donated and helped with this cause so far!
Secondly I wanted to let everyone know that with the help of Rick & Jennifer Lemon and The Long Beach Boat & Ski Club that we will be holding a fund raiser for this cause at the 58th running of the Long Beach to Catalina ski race! We are asking for donations of product or services that will be raffled off through the course of the race and at the awards ceremony. Anyone wishing to donate can contact myself at mrgery7@yahoo.com or 714-697-9216 or Jennifer at Luvlmon@aol.com. Also any one donating will be able to hang up one advertisement, banner or sign at the race at no cost if they wish. The raffle tickets will be sold at sign up and at the Life's a River booth, who I can't say enough about as they will be donating the proceeds from their T-Shirt sales at the race to Mike's fund. Lastly, and this is with great delight! I encourage all to go by The Life's a River booth at the race as Mike will be there! and I know he wants to thank you all in person and is looking forward to meeting you all!
Anyone wishing to just make a donation can do so at any Bank of America, you can make it payable to The Mike McGookin Transplant Fund" account #08676-41991
Again, I would like to Thank Rick & Jennifer Lemon for making this fund raiser possible and to Thank all who have donated or just passed on caring thoughts for Mike. You can still visit and get updates at
http://www.caringbridge.com/cb/inpu...me=mikemcgookin