PDA

View Full Version : Outdrive question.... may have a problem

Wicked_Tahiti
06-06-2006, 07:10 PM
Hay guys,
The outdrive on my boat was rebuilt last season with only about 5 hours put on it.
I just got wind of a problem that i may have since i didnt know that you shouldnt put your hose all-the-way-on when your starting the boat out of the water.
Iv fired it up about 6 times with the hose all the way on. I heard that it could have runed my impeller by doing that. Is that true? If so, is there any way to check it without removing the outdrive? or do i have to get it into the water to check? I dont wanna get to the lake to find out that i did break it.....
When i fire it up everything pumps fine and seems as tho its doing its job correctly, but i was told that it could be the pressure pushing water through, and not the impeller pumping water..
Like i said its practicly new, and the guy i got it from told me that i prolly didnt do any damaged, but im concerd that i may have.
The outdrive unit is a OMC Stinger 800 i believe??
any help would be great.
Thanks in Advance.
Wicked

Riverkid
06-06-2006, 07:14 PM
Buy a low dollar plastic trash can and cut it down. Fill it with water, leave the hose running to keep it full, trim the drive down and fire her up. If the impellor is still good, it'll pull all the water it needs without any hose pressure... :)

Havasu Hangin'
06-06-2006, 07:14 PM
I have seen impellers burn up from not enough water...but never from too much water.

Biglue
06-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Take it to a lake late in the day or really early. Just back it in on the trailer and fire it up. Leave it on trailer and watch the temp gage. If the temp gage stays normal, put around in the no wake zone. You should know if the impeller is blown just idling though.

Wicked_Tahiti
06-06-2006, 07:52 PM
well i know its pumping fine, i have a steady stream of water comming out the hole and the headers are pumping water like a champ... So i know the impeller is working....

SHAKEN Not Stirred
06-06-2006, 08:21 PM
well i know its pumping fine, i have a steady stream of water comming out the hole and the headers are pumping water like a champ... So i know the impeller is working....
Huh?....
I have never heard of that????
I have a flush out connection in the bilge of my boat that "T's" into the water pick-up hose between the outdrive & water pump......
I turn it on full each time, which would provide more pressure than the "Ear Muffs" on the drive connection......
I have yet to have a problem.......
C'mon....I cant believe you could generate enough water pressure to harm the impeller with a garden hose.......Does that make sence to you ??
The water pressure provided at 60+ MPH has to be greater than the hose......
Hell....I wonder how much water pressure I can create at 85 MPH....
I know a Skater can create about 35 at 170 MPH.....
Someone let me know if "I'M" missing something......
Later,
CJG
:idea:

Biglue
06-06-2006, 08:31 PM
Huh?....
I have never heard of that????
I have a flush out connection in the bilge of my boat that "T's" into the water pick-up hose between the outdrive & water pump......
I turn it on full each time, which would provide more pressure than the "Ear Muffs" on the drive connection......
I have yet to have a problem.......
C'mon....I cant believe you could generate enough water pressure to harm the impeller with a garden hose.......Does that make sence to you ??
The water pressure provided at 60+ MPH has to be greater than the hose......
Hell....I wonder how much water pressure I can create at 85 MPH....
I know a Skater can create about 35 at 170 MPH.....
Someone let me know if "I'M" missing something......
Later,
CJG
:idea:
My mechanic once told me that city water systems can barely provide enough water pressure to keep the engine cool at idle. Said to never rev up the motor on just the "ear muffs". Made sense to me. I highly doubt he ruined the impeller on his garden hose alone.

teamyamahamike
06-06-2006, 08:35 PM
The reason you don’t turn the water all the way up is so there is not to much pressure and the water backs up into the motor :)

Beer-30
06-06-2006, 08:39 PM
I can tell you this. When I put the earmuffs on and tape the front holes, the hose pressure sprays around each side of the muffs. Once fired, all the spray goes away. I would have to believe it is pretty well sucking everything that hose delivers (no punn intended).

vmjtc3
06-06-2006, 08:42 PM
The reason you don’t turn the water all the way up is so there is not to much pressure and the water backs up into the motor :)
My service manual says the same thing do not turn the hose all the way up at startup and do not run it over 1500 rpm on the hose.

boater012
06-06-2006, 09:16 PM
Well i cannot say that it will damage the impellor but the city water pressure can vary anywhere from 55 on up to over 100 psi of water pressure. I think what someone meant to say to you is that you might damage the engine itself by causing water inversion through the exhaust by turning the city water pressure on before starting the motor. I have personally had several new boat owners come to me with that issue. Im sure it went something like this:
Buy boat from yacht sales place and watch guy run the engine on the hose after a sea trial.
Take boat home and have a few beers while all your buddies drove over to your house to check out the new boat.
One guy says well lets hear this biatch run man!!!
New boat owner hooks up hose, turns it on and has another beer while he figures out how the battery switch thingy works.
Gets it ready and goes to crank over new boat purchase only to realize that the motor wont turn over (Dead battery he thinks??????)
Gets buddy to go get battery charger from garage thinking the batteries are dead (All the while never turning off the hose)
Meanwhile off in the distance can be heard the cries of the wife about what a pile of chit he bought and how it is already broke.
All of his buddies try to convince him to have another beer and think about what it could be. (to which he finally agrees)
He and his buddies stand around with the hose running scratching their heads and enjoying another beer.
They all finally agree that it must be the starter and tell their buddy how to pull it off.
Everyone loads in the truck and take the now burnt up starter down to the autozone for testing.
Yes sir here is your problem the starter is bad for sure it even smells burnt! No need to even test it when it smells like this. Lemme check and see if we have one of these for you.
That'll be $89.95 sir! He grumbles as he pays for his rebuilt AUTOMOTIVE starter.
They all pile in the truck and head back to the house, They all get there and decide they'd better have another beer before they get started.
Off in the distance the wife is still yelling HOW MUCH WAS IT??????
Downs another beer and climbs back up into boat.
One of his buddies suggests turning off the water because he is flooding the lawn.
Water gets turned off.
New starter gets installed finally after fighting to hold the damn thing up under the motor with one hand while fighting the damn shouldered starter bolt just to get it started.
Enjoys another beer with his buddies in celebration of finally getting the starter in.
Wife is yelling in the background DID YOU FIX IT YET??????
Hops up into the drivers seat and tries to fire it up and same thing.
Guys flips out and gets all pissed at what a biotch it was to install the damn starter and the new one is bad too. :cry:
Pulls it off and drives back down to the autozone to yell at them about there crappy parts. :mad:
Autozoner tests the starter and it tests good. Guy gets more pissed and yells at autozoner. :argue:
Autozoner gives guy another starter to try but says "this starter is good" but ill do it anyways!
Guy loads back into the truck with his buddies biotching about the stupid autozoner all the way home! :argue:
Gets home and enjoys another beer before installing the NEW new starter.
Takes him less time to do this time and he informs his buddies that he is a pro at this boat starter chit now! :boxed:
Gets back behind the wheel to fire it up and nothing again but CLICK CLICK CLICK.
Nobody says a word one of his buddies just hands him another beer.
One of his buddies finally breaks the silence and says "well the battery must be weak"
Pulls out the battery and drives to the autozone to get a new battery.
By this time the wife is wigging out and no longer yelling but screaming about what an idiot he is for buying the TURD to begin with. :mad: :argue:
Everyone loads back into the truck and they don't say much headed back to his house this time.
Gets back to house has another beer and groans about putting all this money into a NEW used boat.
Puts battery in it and hooks up the cables. hops behind the wheel confident THIS HAS TO FIX IT.
Tries to crank it over again and CLICK CLICK CLICK.
Gets pissed and throws his half empty beer into the open bow portion of the boat.
Goes in the house and tells wife "it is too late to call the broker ill do it in the morning"
Doesn't even call the broker just wakes up mad as a wet hornet and hooks the boat to the truck and calls his buddies for reinforecment.
Pulls into the broker with the boat in tow. Jumps out and starts yelling at everybody there about how they SCREWED him.
Yacht broker calls ME :boxed: and asks ME to come right over to look at it.
I show up to a pissed off guy who just bought the thing yesterday.
I hop in and see the new parts and ask who bought the AUTOMOTIVE starter and the CAR battery for a boat????
I Try to crank it over and CLICK CLICK CLICK HMMMM I go grab my 3 foot long breaker bar and a socket and put it on the crankshaft balancer bolt.
AWWWW the moment of truth!!! PUSH PUSH. Well guys it is frozen.
FOCK simultaniously comes out of both the new owners mouth and the yacht brokers mouth at the same time!
Pull the plugs and SURPRISE!!! Lots of FRESH water.
Yacht broker starts to tell the guy HEY IT RAN FINE WHEN IT LEFT HERE!
I clean the water out of the cylinders by cranking the engine over and squirt a little two stroke oil in the cylinders.
(Good gawd this is getting long isn't it??)
Put the plugs back in and VOILA she purrs like a kitten after smoking for ten mintues from my squirt of two stroke oil.
Guy tries to tell yacht broker it is his fault and wants his money back.
I intercede and ask the guy "How did this all start???"
I get the above version of WHAT HAPPENED. less the hose part.
I ask if he left the hose on and one of his buddies pipes up says "yeah man for like an hour or so"
What do you want to bet the guy that told you that was one of this guys buddies too????????????????????
Ill put a twelver on it! :crossx:
Been there, lived it, seen it, done it!

doesitfloat?
06-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Great story...It's always amazing to me that more boats aren't sunk or burnt by newbie boaters (and their "know-it-all" friends). :rollside:

boater012
06-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Great story...It's always amazing to me that more boats aren't sunk or burnt by newbie boaters (and their "know-it-all" friends). :rollside:
They do sink them, blow them up and generally destroy them all the time!!!
Check the recycler there are tons of boats that were JUST pruchased that NEED work!!! lol wanna bet they ran fine when they were purchased???

FOUNTAINATLAST
06-07-2006, 10:03 PM
Hay guys,
The outdrive on my boat was rebuilt last season with only about 5 hours put on it.
I just got wind of a problem that i may have since i didnt know that you shouldnt put your hose all-the-way-on when your starting the boat out of the water.
Iv fired it up about 6 times with the hose all the way on. I heard that it could have runed my impeller by doing that. Is that true? If so, is there any way to check it without removing the outdrive? or do i have to get it into the water to check? I dont wanna get to the lake to find out that i did break it.....
When i fire it up everything pumps fine and seems as tho its doing its job correctly, but i was told that it could be the pressure pushing water through, and not the impeller pumping water..
Like i said its practicly new, and the guy i got it from told me that i prolly didnt do any damaged, but im concerd that i may have.
The outdrive unit is a OMC Stinger 800 i believe??
any help would be great.
Thanks in Advance.
Wicked
Honestly, when people tell you not to turn the water all the way up before starting your motor is because to much pressure will cause water to blow past the muffs, then once the motor is started it has a hard time sucking the water or creating a vacuum to pull in water. The water has found an easier path to exit. Start the water slow, let the pump start sucking then turn the water up. The impeller could be ruined not by to much pressure but lack of suction because of to much pressure blowin past the ear muffs.