PDA

View Full Version : Share the History........

Her454
06-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Of your local lakes.
I consider myself a complete history nutt and the subject came up awhile back about the history of Lake Elsinore. Even tho Elsinore is not a man made lake, most of the man made lakes carry alot of history behind them prior to their becoming a lake for us to enjoy. Mullet Mountain (Valley Springs area for those that dont know MM is a joke) has a very rich history as it sits in the heart of the California Motherlode, considered some of the richest Gold mining in the world.
We have many lakes that have very interesting stories that Im sure we don't realize. I would love to know the historical background of some of the other lakes that I frequent so I hope you all share your knowledge here too. I posted this awhile back on MLHB and we got some really interesting stuff so I was wondering what we'd get over here with so many people from all over the world.
Heres a start....
Lake Comanche - Amador County, California
Out toward the back under the bridge (Lancha Plana Bridge) where people float and party is the old town of Lancha Plana ("flat-boat" in Spanish). Lancha Plana was setttled soon after the discovery of gold in the area. Lancha Plana began booming in about 1850 when miners began coming to area to try their luck at Poverty Bar, Winters' Bar and other hopeful spots. It's always interesting to learn how the Bars got their name. Poverty Bar was supposedly named by two brothers, Al & Bill Dudley, who like many others had gold on their mind but little luck.
In 1850 a ferry crossing was established and took passengers across the river for a fare of fifty cents. Poverty Bar, in Calaveras County, was the landing point of the flatboat ferry that had carried miners to the north side of the river from the area around Lancha Plana. A bridge was built and fell in 1852. Judge Palmer's Bridge lasted for an unknown period of time, though it wasn't very long. After a very hard rain the bridge toppled into the river.
The ferry once again became the only means to cross the river. Some of the miners may have ridden the stage to Boston House/Boston Store approximately 4 miles from Lancha Plana. In those days the Boston House was about as close as you could get. Today there is a building standing on the site with period iron doors.
Lancha Plana along with the old town of Comanche was flooded with the waters of the Mokelumne River when the river was dammed and formed Lake Comanche. The water gets shallow in drought years and the towns are visible.
The cemetery that was once there for the miners and old chinese that worked the area was moved up to Campo Seco, about 3 miles away and is still in existence. Pretty cool old cemetery too (if you like cemeteries I guess ) There is also a little church in the current town of Lake Comanche and it sits up on the hill and is used for services each Sunday and is beautiful. That very church was moved to its existing location from the town of Lancha Plana. It has been restored over the years and if you are ever in the area, its worth the stop. As you stand on the steps of the church you can see the lake and its a very peaceful feeling and view. I will try and get over there and take some pics of the church and I have posted some others below.
BTW, Lancha Plana is listed as a California Historical monument #30.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/139lanchaplana1.jpg
Looking from the existing Lancha Plana Bridge
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/139lanchaplana.jpg
The same view from the Lancha Plana Bridge today, after all the rain we have had in 06'. Quite alot of water...........
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/139lanchaplana4.jpg

tbrown
06-08-2006, 10:58 AM
Of your local lakes.
I consider myself a complete history nutt and the subject came up awhile back about the history of Lake Elsinore. Even tho Elsinore is not a man made lake, most of the man made lakes carry alot of history behind them prior to their becoming a lake for us to enjoy. Mullet Mountain (Valley Springs area for those that dont know MM is a joke) has a very rich history as it sits in the heart of the California Motherlode, considered some of the richest Gold mining in the world.
We have many lakes that have very interesting stories that Im sure we don't realize. I would love to know the historical background of some of the other lakes that I frequent so I hope you all share your knowledge here too. I posted this awhile back on MLHB and we got some really interesting stuff so I was wondering what we'd get over here with so many people from all over the world.
Heres a start....
Lake Comanche - Amador County, California
Out toward the back under the bridge (Lancha Plana Bridge) where people float and party is the old town of Lancha Plana ("flat-boat" in Spanish). Lancha Plana was setttled soon after the discovery of gold in the area. Lancha Plana began booming in about 1850 when miners began coming to area to try their luck at Poverty Bar, Winters' Bar and other hopeful spots. It's always interesting to learn how the Bars got their name. Poverty Bar was supposedly named by two brothers, Al & Bill Dudley, who like many others had gold on their mind but little luck.
In 1850 a ferry crossing was established and took passengers across the river for a fare of fifty cents. Poverty Bar, in Calaveras County, was the landing point of the flatboat ferry that had carried miners to the north side of the river from the area around Lancha Plana. A bridge was built and fell in 1852. Judge Palmer's Bridge lasted for an unknown period of time, though it wasn't very long. After a very hard rain the bridge toppled into the river.
The ferry once again became the only means to cross the river. Some of the miners may have ridden the stage to Boston House/Boston Store approximately 4 miles from Lancha Plana. In those days the Boston House was about as close as you could get. Today there is a building standing on the site with period iron doors.
Lancha Plana along with the old town of Comanche was flooded with the waters of the Mokelumne River when the river was dammed and formed Lake Comanche. The water is so deep in many places the towns are not even visible when the lake is low.
The cemetery that was once there for the miners and old chinese that worked the area was moved up to Campo Seco, about 3 miles away and is still in existence. Pretty cool old cemetery too (if you like cemeteries I guess ) There is also a little church in the current town of Lake Comanche and it sits up on the hill and is used for services each Sunday and is beautiful. In fact, I was married there in 2000. That very church was moved to its existing location from the town of Lancha Plana. It has been restored over the years and if you are ever in the area, its worth the stop. As you stand on the steps of the church you can see the lake and its a very peaceful feeling and view. I will try and get over there and take some pics of the church and I have posted some others below.
BTW, Lancha Plana is listed as a California Historical monument #30.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/139lanchaplana1.jpg
Looking from the existing Lancha Plana Bridge
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/139lanchaplana.jpg
The same view from the Lancha Plana Bridge today, after all the rain we have had in 06'. Quite alot of water...........
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/139lanchaplana4.jpg
Is that why they charge so gawd d*mn much money to get in!!!!!!

Her454
06-08-2006, 10:59 AM
LMAO,, maybe. :rollside:

RitcheyRch
06-08-2006, 11:02 AM
Whats the history on Elsinore. I hear so many different stories.

Her454
06-08-2006, 11:09 AM
With a quick search this comes up, but I've never been nor do I have any personal info on that particular lake but Im sure others do.
Lake Elsinore was incorporated as a city in 1888 but was inhabited well before then. The lake is one of the few natural lakes in Southern California. It provided a spot for Spanish ranchers and American trappers to replenish their supplies. It was named Elsinore after the Danish city because of Shakespeare's "Hamlet". Lake Elsinore was a popular destination in the first half of the 1900s for celebrities to escape the urban Hollywood scene. Many of their homes still stand on the hills surrounding the lake, including Aimee's (Aimee Semple McPherson) Castle, a uniquely shaped house perched on a hill above the water.
Despite its relatively small African-American population, it has the distinction of electing the first black mayor in the state of California. Tom Yarborough was elected in 1966, three years before Douglas Dollarhide became the mayor of Compton.

06-08-2006, 11:26 AM
I'm glad that you have waaaayyy too much time on your hands. Thanks for the history lesson & keep 'em comin'!
----Rob

Captain Dan
06-08-2006, 12:19 PM
Funny you should ask....As far as the name is concerned.....
The spaniards were crossing through the region and a general asked one of his troops to taste the water. The soldier bent down and tasted the water and immediately spit it out. The general asked "How does it taste?" whereupon the soldier replied "Like hell Senor". The name has stuck ever since. :)

RitcheyRch
06-08-2006, 12:37 PM
Now that is funny.
Was looking for info on about the flood. Is it true there is a city under the lake?
The spaniards were crossing through the region and a general asked one of his troops to taste the water. The soldier bent down and tasted the water and immediately spit it out. The general asked "How does it taste?" whereupon the soldier replied "Like hell Senor". The name has stuck ever since. :)

06-08-2006, 12:41 PM
Believe it or not, the original name was La Laguna, but by the time the city incorporated, Laguna had already been taken. They incorporated as Elsinore and the word Lake was officially added in the 70's.
BTW - I like the Spaniard story better! :skull:

06-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Now that is funny.
Was looking for info on about the flood. Is it true there is a city under the lake?
No, it is one of few natural lakes on So Cal. It has gone dry several times and has flooded the city several times due to the fact that it is so shallow. It even snowed there in 1931!

91nordic29
06-08-2006, 12:57 PM
i remember going there to watch our dads ski in the late sixties (i was about 8). our parents wouldnt let us kids ski there because of all the tree stumps.

Her454
06-08-2006, 01:37 PM
Thats pretty funny, I didnt know all the other history about Elsinore.

cola
06-08-2006, 02:02 PM
[QUOTE=Her454]Of your local lakes.
I consider myself a complete history nutt and the subject came up awhile back about the history of Lake Elsinore.
Heres a pic I took of Elsinore in the mid 70's
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1268scan0007.jpg

Her454
06-08-2006, 02:04 PM
Thats pretty cool, I'd like to see a pic of the same view now and how much its changed! Is that a windy lake, those whitecaps look nasty!

cola
06-08-2006, 02:34 PM
Thats pretty cool, I'd like to see a pic of the same view now and how much its changed! Is that a windy lake, those whitecaps look nasty!
I think thoses are boats running on the lake. I just happen to have a pic I took when Ton (DILLIGF) & I were on a ride, end on last year.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1268136_3629.JPG

Her454
06-08-2006, 02:36 PM
Wow, Thats Incredible!

Her454
06-09-2006, 07:04 AM
Ok this ones pretty cool, didnt know this about Camp Far West either, home of the "***boat" :)
OK, with Fathers Day at CFW in sight here is a bit of info: :mrgreen:
Johnson's Ranch
The first settlement reached in California by emigrant trains using the Emigrant (Donner) Trail, Johnson's Ranch was an original part of the 1844 Don Pablo Guiterrez Land grant. Following Guiterrez' death, in 1849 part of the ranch was set aside as a government reserve--Camp Far West .
http://www.visityubasutter.com/destinations/points/johnsons_ranch.htm
Camp Far West. It is estimated that more than 30,000 people--pioneers, miners, trappers, herdsmen, and adventurers and their families--used the Emigrant Trail in 1849 alone, and Johnson's Ranch was the first settlement west of the Sierra for these emigrants to refresh their supplies and get bearings in the Sacramento Valley. In late winter of 1847, five women and two men, naked and near death from starvation and exposure, stumbled into Johnson's Ranch, alerting rescuers to the plight of the tragically snowbound Donner Party. Donner Party relief parties assembled at Johnson's Ranch to begin their mission to rescue the survivors. One survivor, Mary Murphy, married William Johnson. She quickly divorced him, however, and soon married Charles Covillaud, founder of the City of Marysville, which is named after Mary. In 1866, the town of Wheatland was laid out in a portion of the grant. At Wheatland, 12 miles south of Marysville on Highway 65.
http://www.visityubasutter.com/destinations/points/camp_far_west.htm
Thompson Seedless Grape
George and William Thompson developed the Thompson Seedless in 1872 by grafting cuttings from New York to the roots of their grapevines. John Paxton Onstott of Yuba City went on to propagate the seedless table grapes.
And many of you have heard of Timbuctoo but probably didn't know where it actually was, well it is actually very near my favorite lake, Englebright
Timbuctoo
Visit the remnants of a Gold Rush Wells Fargo Office in the community of Timbuctoo that assayed, purchased and shipped millions of dollars worth of gold from Northern mines. In 1855, Timbuctoo was one of the largest towns in eastern Yuba County. At the height of its prosperity it contained a church, theatre, stores, hotels, saloons and the Wells Fargo Office. Sixteen miles east of Marysville on Highway 20

Ziggy
06-09-2006, 07:37 AM
Great pics Cola...Those look like they're taken from the overlook on 74.
question is: was it windy(as is normal for the area) in the 70's pic or did our cars really polute the air that much worse? Memory tells me we had more smog back then than we do now.

Water Romper
06-09-2006, 02:15 PM
These are pretty neat photos. Were these taken from the restaurant/bar that is up on the hill, south side I think…..?
Also, I have never boated here…I have heard it’s not very nice. Lots of floating debris, branches etc and the lake lice is rampant :cry: …is this true? It doesn’t appear there are any coves either… :cry: :cry:

cola
06-09-2006, 03:10 PM
Great pics Cola...Those look like they're taken from the overlook on 74.
question is: was it windy(as is normal for the area) in the 70's pic or did our cars really polute the air that much worse? Memory tells me we had more smog back then than we do now.
The last one was from the lookout and the old one ?? too long ago.

BajaMike
06-09-2006, 04:54 PM
Believe it or not, the original name was La Laguna, but by the time the city incorporated, Laguna had already been taken. They incorporated as Elsinore and the word Lake was officially added in the 70's.
BTW - I like the Spaniard story better! :skull:
Hey, 92562, what's the stats on your boat/engine...looks nice!
:rollside:

Flying Tiger
06-09-2006, 09:16 PM
You're very Lucky to live in Nor Cali Traci,, nice post. beautiful place to live and play.
Castaic lake and Pyramid are our local, amn made So Cali mud holes.
They are part of the water system to LA.
I addition, water cascades down from Pyramid to Castaic to generate peak load demand electricity throughaic generating station.
Then, in off perak, the generators polarity are reversed and they become pumps to return some of the water back to Pyramid.
If anyone would like to put a group together, I can give a personal guided tour of the whole generation station operation, then a mystery tour of a few other local "watering" holes.