PDA

View Full Version : Public Service Announcement!

Boatcop
06-09-2006, 02:04 PM
If you're coming to the River this weekend. (Well, any weekend really)
Have a sober Designated Driver and all required equipment.
Thank you for your time.
Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

topless
06-09-2006, 02:06 PM
We go all the time but where we go is pretty quiet and I have never seen anyone get stopped. Oh, but we also always have a DD to take us home.

Jyruiz
06-09-2006, 02:10 PM
I am the DD, forgot what beer taste like on a boat. :cry:

BigDogIvan
06-09-2006, 02:15 PM
Thank you for your time.
Not A Problem!!!
See ya next week. June 16-18th

schlepy
06-09-2006, 02:16 PM
what is "all required equipment".
i think i have everything but just want to make sure.
thank you,
C.E.

slink
06-09-2006, 02:18 PM
Thank you for your time.
Thanks Alan, How about posting this PSA sometime:
The La Paz county SO welcomes you to the parker strip. For your boating plessure, we will be cracking down hard on all PWC who do any of the following:
Driving on the wrong side of the river, cutting across the river in an unsafely mannor, coming within 5' of your boat while you are floating, cutting between your boat and your skier, not paying attention to red flags, acting like an assclown, and my favorite, doing 60 mph w/ your infant in your lap and your dog on the back.
Thank you for you consideration L.P.C.S.O

Boatcop
06-09-2006, 02:20 PM
The La Paz county SO welcomes you to the parker strip. For your boating plessure, we will be cracking down hard on all PWC who do any of the following:
Driving on the wrong side of the river, cutting across the river in an unsafely mannor, coming within 5' of your boat while you are floating, cutting between your boat and your skier, not paying attention to red flags, acting like an assclown, and my favorite, doing 60 mph w/ your infant in your lap and your dog on the back.
I do it all the time.
However, this isn't a PWC forum.

H20Advantage
06-09-2006, 02:49 PM
Public Service...Bump :cool:

tamalewagon
06-09-2006, 02:59 PM
So this PSA is only for the weekends? Good, we're there during the week. :p

OCMerrill
06-09-2006, 06:34 PM
doing 60 mph w/ your infant in your lap and your dog on the back.
I have seen the infant w/ driver and I have seen the dog w/driver but never both at the same time. You indeed have you hands full.
Do you still get out on the river yourself?

Boatcop
06-09-2006, 07:21 PM
I have seen the infant w/ driver and I have seen the dog w/driver but never both at the same time. You indeed have you hands full.
Do you still get out on the river yourself?
Not as much as I'd like, lately.
I got the boat back together right before Memorial Day. Won't go out then.
Been going to to Hemet almost every other weekend. Mom-in-Law lost her husband back in March, so we (meaning Mrs. BoatCop) decided to go out and take care of things till she gets accustomed to being alone.
That leaves the other weekends trying to catch up on the stuff I should have done the weekend before.
Maybe this weekend I'll get out and try the new roost.
(after the yard work)
Where's all these dirt cheap illegal gardeners everyone's always talking about? I'm still mowing my own lawns and trimming my own bushes. I'd gladly throw a few quarters at Jose for him to do instead of me.

riverbound
06-09-2006, 07:28 PM
Not as much as I'd like, lately.
I got the boat back together right before Memorial Day. Won't go out then.
Been going to to Hemet almost every other weekend. Mom-in-Law lost her husband back in March, so we (meaning Mrs. BoatCop) decided to go out and take care of things till she gets accustomed to being alone.
That leaves the other weekends trying to catch up on the stuff I should have done the weekend before.
Maybe this weekend I'll get out and try the new roost.
(after the yard work)
Where's all these dirt cheap illegal gardeners everyone's always talking about? I'm still mowing my own lawns and trimming my own bushes. I'd gladly throw a few quarters at Jose for him to do instead of me.
Stop on by if you make it out.
Would part of that rewuired equip. be wearing a Boatcop.com shirt while you are DD'ing for your drunken family and friends?? ;)

hotsand65
06-09-2006, 07:29 PM
NEVER a problem, hubby doesn't drink!!!!! :rollside:

Boatcop
06-09-2006, 07:35 PM
Stop on by if you make it out.
Would part of that rewuired equip. be wearing a Boatcop.com shirt while you are DD'ing for your drunken family and friends?? ;)
I've seen a bunch of vehicles at your place all week. I would have stopped by, but didn't know if it was you, your kids, your kids friends, your (ex?) wife, or what.
Which one of those 42 cars and trucks is yours?

riverbound
06-10-2006, 08:07 AM
I've seen a bunch of vehicles at your place all week. I would have stopped by, but didn't know if it was you, your kids, your kids friends, your (ex?) wife, or what.
Which one of those 42 cars and trucks is yours?
Im in the silver F-150 (rental car) My boat was in the water, but I just pulled it as it was sitting in the water all week and got pretty dirty.

LYN-HOS
06-10-2006, 08:50 AM
Alan, could you please list all the required equipment Thank you

Boatcop
06-10-2006, 09:15 AM
Alan, could you please list all the required equipment Thank you
Wearable USCG Approved PFD for each person. Properly sized, readily accessible, in good condition, worn by children 12 years old and younger.
1 Type IV USCG Approved Throwable PFD (Seat Cushion, Ring Bouy). Immediately available. (16 feet and under, not required)
Proper Number display, Current registration form on board, Current annual decal displayed.
Under 24': 1 USCG Approved type BI portable Fire Extinguisher, readily accessible. Required even if an installed system in is the engine compartment.
24' to less than 40': 1 USCG Approved BII Fire Extinguisher or 2 BI Fire Extinguishers. An installed system counts as 1 BI Fire Extinguisher, no matter the size.
40 feet to 65': 1 BII and 1 BI Fire Extinguisher or 3 BI Fire Extinguishers. Installed system counta as above.
Engine and fuel compartment ventilation.
Approved backfire flame arrestor (Air cleaner)
Sound producing device (horn or whistle) on Federal Waters.
36' and above: Bell
36' and above: Pollution placard near helm or bilge pump controls.
Muffling device in exhaust, in constant operation.
Flares and/or manual Visual Distress Signals (On coastal Waters or Great Lakes)
Sober Operator
Orange or Red Ski Flag & Observer (When Skiing)
Common Sense
There may be other local regulations. Check with the local Marine Patrol on the Lake where you boat.

burtandnancy
06-10-2006, 09:20 AM
Alan, you didn't say anything about the throwable with 30' of line. Is that something they are enforcing at other lakes (Mead), and do you know where that is coming from? Its not a bad thing, just kind of a surprise and something they are checking elsewhere...

CBadDad
06-10-2006, 09:23 AM
I'm still confused onthe sounding device. Is it only required for boats 24' and longer, or are all boats required to have one. I do not have anything on my 23 footer, but I can find a whistle somewhere around here if need be...
Thanks for all you do Boatcop.

Towndrunk
06-10-2006, 09:36 AM
Wearable USCG Approved PFD for each person. Properly sized, readily accessible, in good condition, worn by children 12 years old and younger.
1 Type IV USCG Approved Throwable PFD (Seat Cushion, Ring Bouy). Immediately available. (16 feet and under, not required)
Proper Number display, Current registration form on board, Current annual decal displayed.
Under 24': 1 USCG Approved type BI portable Fire Extinguisher, readily accessible. Required even if an installed system in is the engine compartment.
24' to less than 40': 1 USCG Approved BII Fire Extinguisher or 2 BI Fire Extinguishers. An installed system counts as 1 BI Fire Extinguisher, no matter the size.
40 feet to 65': 1 BII and 1 BI Fire Extinguisher or 3 BI Fire Extinguishers. Installed system counta as above.
Engine and fuel compartment ventilation.
Approved backfire flame arrestor (Air cleaner)
Sound producing device (horn or whistle) on Federal Waters.
36' and above: Bell
36' and above: Pollution placard near helm or bilge pump controls.
Muffling device in exhaust, in constant operation.
Flares and/or manual Visual Distress Signals (On coastal Waters or Great Lakes)
Sober Operator
Orange or Red Ski Flag & Observer (When Skiing)
Common Sense
There may be other local regulations. Check with the local Marine Patrol on the Lake where you boat.
Question. Where am I supposed to fit in? It's only a 2 seater Sanger and you know what storage they have.

Jordy
06-10-2006, 09:42 AM
Common Sense.
It's a shame that one isn't enforcable... :(

Boatcop
06-10-2006, 09:45 AM
The 30' line requirement is Nevada law, for boats 26' and over. (I had to look that up) Nevada also requires a boater license for anyone born 1983 or later, operating a boat more than 15 HP
A sound producing device is required for all boats 16 feet and over.
For boats 26' and over, the sound producing device must be power operated, such as an electric or air powered horn.
Under 26' can have a regular police-type whistle, (The correct term is "Mouth Operated", but you goons would have a field day with that)
Under 16 feet is not required to carry a sound producing device, but IS required to give proper sound signals when appropriate.
I did forget about lights. An all around (360 degree) white light and red/green sidelights are required when operating from sunset to sunrise, and in periods of restricted visibility. White light must be visible for 2 miles. Side Lights for 1 mile. Anchor light required when anchored in or near navigation channels.

OCMerrill
06-10-2006, 10:04 AM
Common Sense
And if it could be purchased....that would sure make a major impact.
Not included with most all PWC's.

Jordy
06-10-2006, 10:19 AM
(The correct term is "Mouth Operated", but you goons would have a field day with that)
Us??? :D :D :D

Towndrunk
06-10-2006, 10:47 AM
[QUOTE=Boatcop]
Where's all these dirt cheap illegal gardeners everyone's always talking about?
How many ya want? We have plenty over here. Their backs are already wet thats why they stay away from the water areas.

superdave013
06-10-2006, 10:53 AM
(after the yard work)
can't a guy get in some trouble for employing illegals?? ;)

burtandnancy
06-10-2006, 11:18 AM
Thanks, Alan. Will tell me kids to boat on the AZ side of Lake Mead until they find the throwable with 30' line. Funny story from the NV side of the lake; friend of mine bought a very nice throwable with collar and 50' line that was capable of lifting a body from the water. IT WAS NOT APPROVED by the locals! He got a warning...

CBadDad
06-10-2006, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the clarification...

LYN-HOS
06-10-2006, 11:48 AM
Yep thank's Alan...........................what up C-Bad?????????

Boatcop
06-10-2006, 12:05 PM
Thanks, Alan. Will tell me kids to boat on the AZ side of Lake Mead until they find the throwable with 30' line.
There is no "Arizona side of the Lake Mead"
Nevada Laws apply over the entire lake.
Just get 30 feet of rope and tie it to the handle of the Type IV.

franky
06-10-2006, 01:37 PM
Alan, could you touch on the regs regarding hedlights (mooring/docking). I am tired of driving into these at night in the channel because they don't get it.

Boatcop
06-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Alan, could you touch on the regs regarding hedlights (mooring/docking). I am tired of driving into these at night in the channel because they don't get it.
Boats don't have headlights. Unless you count the illumination device in the toilet compartment.
Those docking/mooring lights are for just that. Docking and mooring. They are illegal to use for night time navigation because they wash out running lights and ruin the night vision of other boaters.
Night time navigation depends on night vision and the ability to see and interpret other boats' running lights. White light ruins night vision so those around you are essentially navigating blind. Not to mention blinding the operator of the boat shining the light.
On a similar note. Spot lights are also not allowed for night navigation, unless they are being used to illuminate and bring attention to a hazard in the water. There are federal criminal penalties for shining a spot light at the bridge or helm area of any other vessel.
If someone needs bright white lights like docking or spot lights in order to navigate a particular waterway, I'd suggest that they get to know the area better and SLOW DOWN!

Wake Havasu
06-10-2006, 04:36 PM
Try running a nice big wake boat on parker.
They like to follow and skip the wakes.

Wake Havasu
06-10-2006, 04:37 PM
Boats don't have headlights. Unless you count the illumination device in the toilet compartment.
Those docking/mooring lights are for just that. Docking and mooring. They are illegal to use for night time navigation because they wash out running lights and ruin the night vision of other boaters.
SLOW DOWN!
I saw them used on Wed eve and Thursday eve.
Hey do you guys patrol week days?

Towndrunk
07-03-2006, 06:24 PM
I do it all the time.
However, this isn't a PWC forum.
How about posting a link to one of your PSA's to the pwc's. I'd like to read it.

mike37
07-03-2006, 06:36 PM
we had the docking light ass wipes at lake Mohave
the lake cops did nothing about it

LHC Kirby
07-03-2006, 07:36 PM
[QUOTE=Boatcop]
Common Sense
QUOTE]
Awesome if it could be enforced ! you are born with it or kind of live with out it.
Keep up the good work - stay safe

Boatcop
07-03-2006, 08:11 PM
Thanks for bumping this back to the top. It's always good to get the requirements fresh into people's minds.
I originally posted it back on June 9th as a subtle warning to the OUI Saturation Patrol (Wolf Pack) we were having on the 10th.
Just in case someone here had been caught, you couldn't say I didn't warn you. :D
We did get around 4 drunks off the water that night. The way I look at it, that was 4 accidents that didn't happen.
Boat Safe and Sober!

boatsnblondes
07-03-2006, 08:45 PM
Boatcop, thanks for the post, as I am getting finished redoing our boat, I was wondering what I needed to get back to code, now I got it. Your a great help...now, could you get rid of the jetskiers around there so we can have some real fun?