PDA

View Full Version : Any Towing horror stories? Anyone use their AAA Premier Towing or wish they had?:

Flying Tiger
06-10-2006, 06:16 AM
Just put the Wifey on AAA Premier towing.
Ya get more incidences, longer towing distances,, just a few bux more.
With all the desert crossings, and we're half the time pulling something, and the extra long distances,, I thnk it's money well spent.
Advantage Bob got stuck mid way to Havasu when his diesel did the eqivalant to a fuel system vapor lock (damfino , but he's a long time dealer diesel mechanic, and swears it happens above 115 deg F) and his towing bill, boat and truck was $1200.
He's now on AAA Premier,, and woke me up to it. Had his advantage towed from Topoc to Havasu/Advantage one day with it,, no cost.
Anyone ever use AAA premier (or equiv) or wish you had?:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/11796ShowLetter.jpg

MBlaster
06-10-2006, 06:21 AM
I've got it but never used it...yet.
I've got an older motorhome so I've got the RV premier too.
It's just cheap insurance.
The whole deal with Premier/RV and the wifey coverage + membership runs me around 180/yr. IIRC

JetBoatRich
06-10-2006, 06:25 AM
Last Sunday had to use them :rolleyes: I upgraded to the premier a few months ago, I always had the RV tow as well. They will tow your trailer and cover the first $300, at $5 per mile it adds up quick. But better than leaving your boat on the side of teh road. We were 200 miles from home :mad:
If you have AAA, make sure you get premier service with RV. Get any extra cards as well, they each have their own limits and if one runs out you can use another.

HTRDLNCN
06-10-2006, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the heads up,I already had AAA plus but didnt know they also did trailers..

RitcheyRch
06-10-2006, 06:39 AM
Thanks for the info. I have the AAA Plus but will be signing up for the premier for the added towing of trailers.

bchbum
06-10-2006, 06:39 AM
Long time ago I bought a boat from a co-worker ,trusted him on trailer maint. Towing from Havi. with the motorhome by myself ,ended up losing 2 tires on 1 side . Used the the call box ,AAA said I wasn't covered for R.V. Asked if I could buy it now ,said yes but it wouldn't take affect for 10 days . Had to pay big bucks for this tow . :cool:

JetBoatRich
06-10-2006, 06:53 AM
Thanks for the heads up,I already had AAA plus but didnt know they also did trailers..
Upgrade to the premier for the additional miles :cool:

lakewake
06-10-2006, 06:56 AM
Heading to Mead a few years back in a 34' Bounder pulling the boat.Filled up with gas befor leaving Vegas and it died in the intersection in front of the gas station(electrical problem). AAA sent two tows.Put the boat in the hotel parking lot and sent the motor home to a big rig house a couple of miles away. They paid for the hotel stay under the breakdown policy.

Parker Dreamin
06-10-2006, 06:57 AM
have the premiere and the RV/Trailer/Motorcycle upgrade.. knock on wood have not had to use them but like people have said... great insurance and peace of mind.

lalhc
06-10-2006, 07:40 AM
I upgraded a couple months ago when they sent me the free trial until my extension is due in July. I'll keep paying for it. My wife had to be towed last year from our home in Lake Arrowhead to the dealer down the hill.

shueman
06-10-2006, 08:39 AM
Last Sunday had to use them :rolleyes: I upgraded to the premier a few months ago, I always had the RV tow as well. They will tow your trailer and cover the first $300, at $5 per mile it adds up quick. But better than leaving your boat on the side of teh road. We were 200 miles from home :mad:
If you have AAA, make sure you get premier service with RV. Get any extra cards as well, they each have their own limits and if one runs out you can use another.
Good advice JBR. Went through both spares on the boat trailer last August towing back from the river. The extra coverage def. paid for itself.

Flying Tiger
06-10-2006, 08:43 AM
Damn,, never thought of that.
We have the Premier/RV/motorcycle,, and having the wifie gives us double indemnity??
Cool,, thank JBR

Garrddogg
06-10-2006, 09:09 AM
Yup commin home from Havi last summer towing the boat..came through Parker on 95 and turning right to go Rice rd I blew my rear gearset.. I called AAA and they said itll be a while (few hours,just bad timing some ones dad died or some siht,made my problem insignifisant(sp?))
Then that damn PHOTOGLUE guy did it again! stopped and hooked up my boat and gave me and my kids a ride, dropped the kids off in Indio with the EX and dropped us and the boat off in Whittier..(yeah he towed a Kachina!!)
Then about two am the tow truck showed up with the broken burb! ended up about $140 to $200 I dont remember!!
THAN GOD FOR AAA
AND VESSEL ASSIST

HTRDLNCN
06-10-2006, 09:35 AM
Well I just called and AAA does not offer either Premier or exended towing in the
southeastern "club... I went round and round with them,seems AAA is not really the same AAA depending where you live. basically to get the Premier I have to cancel my AAA membership here and use my Texas address since they do have it there.. Total BS.. They do however have RV coverage and it covers the trailer that the RV is towing so long as its a CAMPER trailer,..
Who the hell tows a camper with a camper?
Doesnt cover cars trailer or boat trailer but does cover motorcycle trailers.. :yuk:

FreshTracks
06-10-2006, 10:31 AM
Get it for sure. Cost me an extra $40 a year. Coming back from Havasu a few years ago I lost the bearings on one of the trailer axles and smoked it. AAA sent a flatbed to put the boat and trailer on, paid for $300 worth of towing back to OC. My boat insurance paid the rest.

jbone
06-10-2006, 12:48 PM
While on the way to the river,I had tranny problems at Gordon's Well on 8.
With the upgraded service, they put the suburban on the flat bed(family inside the burb) and towed the boat behind.
It was great.
If you tow anything, you should upgrade.
J

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-10-2006, 12:53 PM
when we first bought our DCB 28 vee. We had a 90 something saburban we were towing with.
we had AAA but it wasn't AAA R.V something.
well to make a long story short. Our trany caught on fire. Put it out with the fire extanguisher from the boat.
Tow truck showed up. tried to charge us dbl. for the boat and the truck seperate.
he towed us back and AAA took there AAA status away for trying to charge us for 2 seperate hook ups but towed it all at one time. We got reimbursed for the extra charge and now we are AAA R.V members. :p

YeLLowBoaT
06-10-2006, 02:14 PM
Warning... even the highest level of AAA will tow your truck a ver long way, but they have a Dallor ammout cap on towing your truck and trailer.
I had proportioning valve crack on a trip one time...AAa would tow the truck as far as I wanted, but They would not tow the boat and trailer unless something was wrong with the trailer. Yeah so I am going to leave the boat on hwy 50.... the boat magicly delevoped a flat as I was talking too them... :) Anyways they only covered the boat $250 so I ended up shelling out a $100 bucks to get home.
Also do you have a horse???? they will not tow a horse trailer if it has a horse in it...

OCMerrill
06-10-2006, 03:32 PM
Two years ago @ 1:30 am Thrusday night turned off 10 at Desert Center, proced down Rice Road about 15 miles and wham...Trans went big time. Fluid all over the boat and cover, what a mess.
My 2004 2500 HD with only 3,800 miles on the clock. My small kids and a nrevous wife all on the shoulder of Rice Road just a waitin for death to stop by.
Cell worked...Called AAA with RV coverage. Sent a big flatbead with a crew cab. Loaded the truck, hitched the boat, and we all slept untill the driver woke us up at the Chevy dealer in Parker.
PERFECT AAA ROCKS :p :p
Chevy Dealer in Parker was great as well. There service dept did me right. Chevrolet on the other had a silent recall on this production run of L480E's and could have saved me the grief. Etched in my mind forever. Way to go GM.
I Just don't like being stranded on Rice Road acting like bait for whoever comes along. The heat always travels with us now just not in the cab.

Red Horse
06-10-2006, 04:24 PM
I used to drive a tow truck. Some of the tows I had to do in the middle of the night for break downs were very expensive for the owner without any motorclub coverage. For a rollback (flatbed) wrecker your looking at a min $50 hookup fee and $1.75 a loaded mile. ANd that is at a very min. Most are 3-4 times that. Also without coverage there is no guarantee to the driver that they will get paid. Dont drop the vehicle till cash is in hand otherwise.
Had to tow a Saturn about 180 miles once. When I got them home they were scraping together cash. They wound up breaking the kids piggy bank to get the last few buck. I felt for them, but I still worked for someone else.
Getting the coverage is good idea. :cool:

Flying Tiger
06-11-2006, 08:22 AM
Geezee, some great examples and stories.
I've heard ya can get back the equiv of 20 years of dues on just one call.

Water Romper
06-12-2006, 02:53 PM
Just put the Wifey on AAA Premier towing.
Ya get more incidences, longer towing distances,, just a few bux more.
With all the desert crossings, and we're half the time pulling something, and the extra long distances,, I thnk it's money well spent.
Advantage Bob got stuck mid way to Havasu when his diesel did the eqivalant to a fuel system vapor lock (damfino , but he's a long time dealer diesel mechanic, and swears it happens above 115 deg F) and his towing bill, boat and truck was $1200.
He's now on AAA Premier,, and woke me up to it. Had his advantage towed from Topoc to Havasu/Advantage one day with it,, no cost.
Anyone ever use AAA premier (or equiv) or wish you had?:
Last paragraph...Had his advantage towed from Topoc to Havasu/Advantage one day with it,, no cost.
AAA preimer covers towing your boat while on the water too?
Same song, different verse, my Chevy truck dropped a trans at Kelbaker road. When all was done, truck, boat all towed safe to Needles. :)

little rowe boat
06-12-2006, 03:00 PM
I have the RV towing with AAA but not premier. What is the difference?

voodoomedman
06-12-2006, 03:38 PM
Just a little bit of info for anyone with Progressive insurance for your boat. They cover roadside assistance for your tow vehicle and your trailer while towing. I found out because my trailer tire blew in 2004 when the boat was a couple months old. I called AAA and found out I wasn't covered. Got the 10 day story when I asked if I could sign up because I didn't know about it or I would have got it. After hanging up I was thinking of how I was going to get the wheel off and get it fixed in the morning and still have a good time on the lake. It clicked in my head that Progressive offered that at no extra charge with my insurance policy so I pulled out my policy to double check and sure enough. I call them and a half hour later a tow truck comes and changes my tire. I went to bed and had a great time on the lake in the morning. Also one of the reasons I love Ultra. They give you the extra tire. I don't know why all boat manufacturers don't. Buying my first boat I didn't think about it. I would have been pissed if I didn't have a spare that night.