PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have Big Bear experience

lovemyultra
06-10-2006, 01:04 PM
I was in Big Bear on the bike last week it was a great place ,how about cabin rentals on the lake with a dock attached ,also what is the deal with the lake is it a fun place to go for a couple days or do they not welcome outsiders too much ? Thanks for any info
DJ

blackcloud75
06-10-2006, 01:15 PM
"Ride the Mountain Rally"?????
Lived there for 8 years......very open to outsiders and visitors.
There are many different options for rentals up there. Just beware that as the summer moves on,lakeweed grows quick due to elevation/UV and lake levels drop quick for the same reason. As for lake activities, mornings are great for skiing/wakeboarding and afternoons get blown out due to the "sundowner" breezes.

Riverkid
06-10-2006, 05:31 PM
My in laws have a nice place up there. We spent the weekend on the lake with them over Memorial. Big Bear is a beautiful lake. 35 mph limit, you need a weekend use permit ($25) or an annual for $75... You should try it, you'll like it. We are headed back up there for the Fourth.
Like anywhere else, watch out for the rental lake licers. They tagged our boat last year on the fourth, sitting still...
Sitting out on the deck watching the sun go down up there never gets old.

jbone
06-11-2006, 02:52 AM
Can you swim there? If so, is it too cold.
Are there beaches or anything to pull up to.
J

RitcheyRch
06-11-2006, 06:39 AM
Can only imagine that the water is cold.

Moe_Havi
06-11-2006, 08:32 AM
You shouldn't have any trouble with water levels. It is full to the very top right now. Tow your boat up the back way (through redlands) not through Running Springs. Front way is pretty steep climb. It is best if your boat has EFI because they run like sh*t with carbs. Mix is too rich. And finally, when you go down, use low gear. It's real easy to burn up those breaks. Oh yea, water right now is about 60.
Moe

Riverkid
06-11-2006, 09:32 AM
Can you swim there? If so, is it too cold.
Are there beaches or anything to pull up to.
J
I got in over Memorial, but yes, it was cold. No real beaches or beaching going on. Everybody pretty much pics a cove (usually by the dam) and drops the hook. The water in the coves warms up in the shallower areas as it gets later in the season. Just watch out for the lake weed when that happens. Definitely run up and down the back way towing, as mentioned. :)

Water Romper
06-12-2006, 02:31 PM
We make several trips a year up there :) both winter and summer. We stay at the Northwood’s Resort (Reservations: 800-866-3121)
The boat (outboard) runs like crap :cry: the high altitude tanks it. I usually putt around the lake and then anchor it by the “Chinese house” near the dam. The water level is high and cold :220v: but nice (I do not water ski up there, to crowded) The ‘lice can be trying as well…people drinking at 8 thousand feet can’t handle the beer :2purples:
If you stay at the Northwood’s Resort, you can walk to all the restaurants, shops and watering holes (Chad’s is one of the more popular night clubs. They have pool tables as well plus as live band at night)
If the wind picks up, drop the boat in the hotel parking lot and go look at the "gold country" Lucky Baldwin's gold mine is up there and other interesting stuff to look at as well. This is located in Holcomb Valley. North/East of the lake. A truck is the best way to get there however I have seen some cars, suv's etc...
Can be a fun getaway. :crossx: :crossx:

lalhc
06-12-2006, 02:50 PM
All info noted on this thread is very accurate. I live up in Lake Arrowhead where the conditions are pretty similar compared to Big Bear Lake.

Outnumbered
06-12-2006, 02:55 PM
All sounds good except the elevation part. The lake is about 6,700 elevation. If your boat runs rich and its carbed it will run even worse up there. I used to have no problems running at the river and then on Lake Arrowhead at about 5,200 feet with a carbed BBF. The trick is if you have a "Ski Prop" use it. In otherwords prop down if you don't have EFI and dont take your boat up there if it already runs rich to begin with.

Ryphraph
06-12-2006, 04:13 PM
I stayed here this last weekend. It was great...
http://www.bbcabins.com/site/Imagery/PropertyID__18767/1161/default.aspx
Ryph

Focker
06-12-2006, 07:29 PM
doesnt big bear live in simi valley????????????????

dicudmore
06-12-2006, 07:47 PM
doesnt big bear live in simi valley????????????????
that was pretty funny there focker :cool:

DJ Sound Technique
06-12-2006, 08:31 PM
You shouldn't have any trouble with water levels. It is full to the very top right now. Tow your boat up the back way (through redlands) not through Running Springs. Front way is pretty steep climb. It is best if your boat has EFI because they run like sh*t with carbs. Mix is too rich. And finally, when you go down, use low gear. It's real easy to burn up those breaks. Oh yea, water right now is about 60.
Moe
Amen to the brakes, I went last year through redlands and even taking it easy coming down spun all the grease out of my bearings. You need to go REAL slow coming down if you have surge breaks.
Also- Mine is a EFI 377 and it ran like S!@t up there, super crappy out of the hole and lost about 15 mph off the top end
Not sure what the launch situation is like now, but it was really crappy when we went.
Marty

NOTALENT
06-12-2006, 08:37 PM
My parents just got back from there....I dont have the name on hand, but they stayed at a place on the water. Rather then a cabins you bring your motorhome and park...all hook ups etc...I guess you can buy the lots as well. They fell in love with this park. about 10ft from the water. They may buy a spot. I think it was like $125 a night. If you want info I can get it.

lalhc
06-12-2006, 08:41 PM
There's also waterfront condos you can rent that include a slip for your boat.

Riverkid
06-12-2006, 08:44 PM
^^^ We've stayed there before too. That's a sweet place. Over on the Fawnskin side, by the BB Discovery Center. They have their own clubhouse, pool, launch and slips. It's like an Outdoor Resorts deal where you can buy and improve the spots. There are some sweet bus setups in there for sure!!!

blackcloud75
06-12-2006, 08:47 PM
^^^ We've stayed there before too. That's a sweet place. Over on the Fawnskin side, by the BB Discovery Center. They have their own clubhouse, pool, launch and slips. It's like an Outdoor Resorts deal where you can buy and improve the spots. There are some sweet bus setups in there for sure!!!
Big Bear Shores Resort.......

Outnumbered
06-12-2006, 09:55 PM
Big Bear Shores Resort.......
BB Shores Resort (http://www.bigbearshores.com/)
WTF are people thinking? :220v:
$425k for an RV lot! Must have been hitting thehttp://www.wmattmeyer.com/archive/image/crack-pipe6557.jpg

blackcloud75
06-12-2006, 10:07 PM
BB Shores Resort (http://www.bigbearshores.com/)
WTF are people thinking? :220v:
$425k for an RV lot! Must have been hitting thehttp://www.wmattmeyer.com/archive/image/crack-pipe6557.jpg
Just a slab to park the PREVOST........pretty bitchin' place though..

Outnumbered
06-12-2006, 10:30 PM
Just a slab to park the PREVOST........pretty bitchin' place though..
Oh ya, its nice. But that is nuts. Add the cost of the rig to the site and you could get a sweet house up there.

KACHINA KEN
06-12-2006, 11:19 PM
http://www.majesticmooselodge.com/
This place is great.

a catered life
06-13-2006, 07:11 AM
we love that place :p we average about 3-4 long weekend trips a year...we have a time share there so we get to go often......if you have kids you gotta take them to the all homemade candy shop :p , get the kids the hand dipped apples this place is awesome and a must see and right across the street about 4 stores up theres a store that sells some of the best freshly made jerky of all kinds i perfer the turkey and ostirch (sp?) spicy ones

79Challenger
06-13-2006, 10:03 AM
Just made my wedding reservations for next year at the Marina Resort. Nice little place.

blackcloud75
06-13-2006, 04:14 PM
Just made my wedding reservations for next year at the Marina Resort. Nice little place.
Burnt Down!!!!!!!!
Just Kidding it did a few years a go....Good Luck