PDA

View Full Version : I've done my part to help dredge the Parker Strip Now its others' turn!

Wake Havasu
06-10-2006, 03:42 PM
I've done my part to help dredge the Parker Strip Now its others' turn!
If I tear up one more thing hitting at parker it will cheaper for me to cruise the strip in a nice air conditioned chopper!
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
So now they donÂ’t let water out on Thursdays!
Places I went All day wed tore me up on Thursday!

OCMerrill
06-10-2006, 03:49 PM
See your boat knew it was supposed to be one dam up :p
Thursdays are good days for larger boats to stay down river. The river is like a lake on Thursdays with the level down and very little flow.
With a bigger boat...getting up towards Parker Dam can be a little dicey.
Time for a prop shop?

jbone
06-10-2006, 03:51 PM
Ummmmm, jetboat! :)

blackcloud75
06-10-2006, 03:59 PM
I've done my part to help dredge the Parker Strip Now its others' turn!
If I tear up one more thing hitting at parker it will cheaper for me to cruise the strip in a nice air conditioned chopper!
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
So now they donÂ’t let water out on Thursdays!
Places I went All day wed tore me up on Thursday!
Where did you "Land-HO" at???

Wake Havasu
06-10-2006, 04:16 PM
Where did you "Land-HO" at???
Opposite the Raintree resort ( Western side of the River ) heading back south at 6:30pm when the water should be nice and high!
http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/6162/parkerstripopptheraintreeresor.png

Boatcop
06-10-2006, 04:24 PM
Opposite the Raintree resort ( Western side of the River ) heading back south at 6:30pm when the water should be nice and high!
That area on the CA side just down from the old Coast Guard ramp is always shallow.
Matter of fact, the only time I ever whacked a prop was that same spot. USCG Spectra 20 V-drive. 1979.
By now I know where all the prop monsters live. Can go all the way to Dam and back at nearly any water level without worry. And that's in the 22' Whaler O/B. Not the Jet.

Wake Havasu
06-10-2006, 04:46 PM
That area on the CA side just down from the old Coast Guard ramp is always shallow.
Yes I saw a concrete slab of what looks like an old abandoned launch ramp.
I floated onto The sand bar OR rock shallow area. Fired her up to move and whammo!
Make a map and I will buy the first signed edition!
I really do love the strip though.
My first trip was in 1969 when I was twelve. I made sure it was the first place my kids boated as well.

blackcloud75
06-10-2006, 05:04 PM
You can almost see it in my avatar........far left in the pic.....from moonridge marina

blackcloud75
06-10-2006, 05:07 PM
Seen many of people nail that hazard....and seen some people late at night end up sleeping there..

doesitfloat?
06-10-2006, 06:21 PM
You can almost see it in my avatar........far left in the pic.....from moonridge marina
See it in your avatar? All I see is asphalt? :rolleyes:
Oh, you meant your signature...never mind. :rollside:

blackcloud75
06-10-2006, 07:33 PM
See it in your avatar? All I see is asphalt? :rolleyes:
Oh, you meant your signature...never mind. :rollside:
Here is a better pick for ya'
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1453moon5.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1453moon7.JPG

slink
06-10-2006, 07:36 PM
Cory, you talking about the shallow spots on the CA side around the bend of your picture

blackcloud75
06-10-2006, 07:37 PM
yep....

slink
06-10-2006, 07:41 PM
That spot got me once, years ago in my old man's boat, $300 later and an ass chewing, never again.

blackcloud75
06-10-2006, 07:46 PM
Matter of fact, the only time I ever whacked a prop was that same spot. USCG Spectra 20 V-drive. 1979.
By now I know where all the prop monsters live. Can go all the way to Dam and back at nearly any water level without worry. And that's in the 22' Whaler O/B. Not the Jet.
BC,
The other prop-getter(just getting more shallow) that seems to be getting worse is the one just between Foxes/Red Rock and about 3/4 mile north of Roadrunner right at the bend. All rocks......any info

blackcloud75
06-10-2006, 07:50 PM
That spot got me once, years ago in my old man's boat, $300 later and an ass chewing, never again.
I sit on my dock/cabana and watch all these idiots run right over that spot a 60-70+ mph on busy weekends and I am surpised I haven't see anyone rip their outdrive off of their transom

slink
06-10-2006, 07:51 PM
BC,
The other prop-getter(just getting more shallow) that seems to be getting worse is the one just between Foxes/Red Rock and about 3/4 mile north of Roadrunner right at the bend. All rocks......any info
Stay toward the CA side. Someone had posted pics of it when the water was low and you could clearly see the deep spot.

slink
06-10-2006, 07:53 PM
I sit on my dock/cabana and watch all these idiots run right over that spot a 60-70+ mph on busy weekends and I am surpised I haven't see anyone rip their outdrive off of their transom
lucky for me I was floating w/my girl. Went to back up and shredded the prop, Had to limp back all the way down to desert riviera.

OCMerrill
06-10-2006, 07:54 PM
BC,
Good call...Also very smoooth and tempting to veer over there and nail it. You can be 30' from shore and stand in 3' of water.
We play on the small sand beach just accross from River Lodge's up river end and watch people get snagged on this growing pile of rocks that forms like a mini river on the Az shore side. You have to go up and around then back down to get to the beach. We see folks coming straight at us all the time and were constantly waiving them off....snag.

blackcloud75
06-10-2006, 07:55 PM
lucky for me I was floating w/my girl. Went to back up and shredded the prop, Had to limp back all the way down to desert riviera.
I am heading out this coming Friday-Monday when you going?
I would head out tues. but have a promotional interview and 2 OT's.

blackcloud75
06-10-2006, 07:57 PM
Good call...Also very smoooth and tempting to veer over there and nail it. You can be 30' from shore and stand in 3' of water.
We play on the small sand beach just accross from River Lodge's up river end and watch people get snagged on this growing pile of rocks that forms like a mini river on the Az shore side. You have to go up and around then back down to get to the beach. We see folks coming straight at us all the time and were constantly waiving them off....snag.
the beach half way up Glass Alley .....on AZ side ......tricky approach

slink
06-10-2006, 08:00 PM
I am heading out this coming Friday-Monday when you going?
I would head out tues. but have a promotional interview and 2 OT's.
Can't leave till Sat. morning (momma working friday), hope to be up by 10ish and on the water by noon, staying for a week.

Boatcop
06-10-2006, 08:06 PM
BC,
It's not getting any shallower. It just seems like it since the boats (and their drafts) are getting bigger.
That bar is at the end of an historic wash. Thousands of years of dumping rock is what formed it. Same with Rock Island at Holiday Harbor.
Since they built the new Highway 95 bypass of what's now Riverside Drive, that wash is diverted and screened under the highway before it gets to the river. The wash hasn't emptied into the River in any great quantity since the highway construction began some 15 or so years ago.
If you saw it at low water, or have seen some of the pictures, you'd notice that it's pretty much all rocks and little sand. There was talk of dredging it out some years ago. They even went so far as to do some core samples. Turns out there's only a few feet of "loose" rock, with solid bedrock underneath.
It would take blasting to make it truly navigable. No one wants to undertake such a project ($$$$$$) on a ditch that wasn't built for navigation in the first place.

blackcloud75
06-10-2006, 08:15 PM
It's not getting any shallower. It just seems like it since the boats (and their drafts) are getting bigger.
That bar is at the end of an historic wash. Thousands of years of dumping rock is what formed it. Same with Rock Island at Holiday Harbor.
Since they built the new Highway 95 bypass of what's now Riverside Drive, that wash is diverted and screened under the highway before it gets to the river. The wash hasn't emptied into the River in any great quantity since the highway construction began some 15 or so years ago.
If you saw it at low water, or have seen some of the pictures, you'd notice that it's pretty much all rocks and little sand. There was talk of dredging it out some years ago. They even went so far as to do some core samples. Turns out there's only a few feet of "loose" rock, with solid bedrock underneath.
It would take blasting to make it truly navigable. No one wants to undertake such a project ($$$$$$) on a ditch that wasn't built for navigation in the first place.
Thanks Alan.....seen some younger faces out patrolling, where ya' been?

Wake Havasu
06-10-2006, 10:48 PM
"... a ditch that wasn't built for navigation in the first place."
WOW!
So tell us how you really feel about the Parker strip!

Flying Tiger
06-10-2006, 11:08 PM
After three years on the strip with a direct drive, and always puckering up my A hole over the numberous "prop monsters",, it's nice to be back in powerfull,, less hassle jet drives.

Boatcop
06-11-2006, 06:28 AM
WOW!
So tell us how you really feel about the Parker strip!
Not my feeling. Just facts.
When Parker Dam was built in 1932 and Headgate in 1941, recreation was the last thing (if at all) on people's minds.
Parker dam was built to store water for Los Angeles and Headgate was built to divert water for irrigation in the Parker Valley.
No one envisioned thousands of small boats cruising on a 12 mile "irrigation ditch".
Even today, recreation is last on the list of priorities for the entire Colorado River by the Bureau of Reclamation, behind storage, irrigation, flood control and power generation.

Kilrtoy
06-11-2006, 10:34 AM
Parker shallow, NEVER...........
sucks to tear stuff up. I boated with my boat ONE TIME on the Strip and never again....
I did more damage that one weekend then my entire boating life.....

slink
06-11-2006, 10:36 AM
sucks to tear stuff up. I boated with my boat ONE TIME on the Strip and never again....
Rookie :p

Wake Havasu
06-11-2006, 04:55 PM
I love parker, but you guys are right.
The only damage I have ever done to my boat has been on parker.
Havi no problems.
Powell no problems.

OCMerrill
06-11-2006, 05:35 PM
The entire river sucks. :boxed: No reason to go.
Spread the word...they will eventually fill Lake Paris back up once the dam is fixed. That's the bomb. :rolleyes:

Parker Dreamin
06-11-2006, 05:58 PM
I agree.. Parker sucks and you should never go there.

Kokopelli
06-11-2006, 07:12 PM
Parker is horrible! Rock bars everywhere, props being damaged left and right. I would suggest that people boat on Havasu. Nice and deep, no navigation necessary. Stay away from Parker at all costs! :)

MBlaster
06-11-2006, 07:38 PM
Parker is horrible! Rock bars everywhere, props being damaged left and right. I would suggest that people boat on Havasu. Nice and deep, no navigation necessary. Stay away from Parker at all costs! :)
Agreed... Any boat over 22 feet should go to Havasu.
Parker chews props. It's jetboat territory.