PDA

View Full Version : Havasu Police Chief...FIRED...

shueman
06-11-2006, 06:18 AM
BY DAVID BELL
Saturday, June 10, 2006 10:43 PM MDT
In a release issued late Friday evening, Lake Havasu City Manager Richard Kaffenberger announced that Police Chief John Alexander has been fired. No reason for the termination was given but Alexander's attorney said the firing may be politically motivated.
“As of 5 p.m. Friday, June 9, 2006, I formally released John Alexander from his responsibilities as Chief of the Lake Havasu City Police Department, and his employment with the City. Mayor Jackson and our City Council members are informed of this action,” Kaffenberger wrote.
Alexander said he could not comment on the notice but his attorney, Joe Lambert, called the termination one of the worst decisions he's ever seen made by a public body.
“We don't know what is motivating the city manager but this is not what he says it is. I don't know the politics of Lake Havasu City but we have to look closely at the possibility of malice. From the first it's clear that Kaffenberger is determined to be rid of John, with no respect for due process,” Lambert said.
The release states that Alexander still has the right of appeal, which makes the termination a personnel matter and prevents Kaffenberger for giving a reason for the firing. Lambert said the previously issued notice of intent given to Alexander focused on four situations dating back to 2001 and 2002, which he said have all been shown to prove Alexander's innocence.
Lambert said one of situations involved the arrest of former city Finance Director Mike Ashley on DUI charges.
In 2002 Ashley was incarcerated at the city's Police Facility on a 10-day work release program. An investigation into Ashley's activities found that he was given preferential treatment while incarcerated, allowed to remain in civilian clothing and his wife allowed to bring him food.
Neither is a violation of law nor written departmental policy however one officer was suspended for allowing the preferential treatment to take place.
Lambert said it was that disciplinary action that is one of the reasons for Alexander's termination. “There was a communication that the city manager had with the chief with regard to a reprimand. That reprimand was not to be given without a briefing of the city manager first, which is very unusual but the chief agreed.
“The chief instructed his staff to update the city manager before taking any action, then he (Alexander) went on vacation. When he returned he found the acting chief gave the reprimand without going to the city manager, which he said he did based on letter from Chief Alexander. But we have shown that letter was issued before the new instructions were given,” Lambert said.
Lambert said another situation involves former City Manager Bruce Williams, alleging that Alexander falsified a document to cover for Williams in an unspecified situation. “We proved the letter does exist, we showed them it's still on a hard drive. It was there in 2002 and obviously not something someone tried to create in 2006.”
Ashley has pleaded not guilty to four felony counts of theft, stemming from the use of city-issued credit card for personal purchases four times between May 2002 and January 2003, totaling nearly $10,000. He previously told Today's News-Herald that he admits to using the cards for personal purchases, which he acknowledged was “probably a violation of city policy,” but denied doing anything illegal.
Williams has been indicted on one felony count of theft, allegedly because of a $480 travel voucher. Police reports show that the investigation was initiated at the request of Mayor Harvey Jackson.
Williams was faxed a copy of the indictment May 2 however he has not yet been arraigned on the charges. Mohave County Attorney Matt Smith is prosecuting Both Ashley and Williams and told Today's News-Herald on June 6 that Williams did not yet have an arraignment date scheduled. Ashley's case has been delayed due to his public defender suffering a rare illness that brings on paralysis.
The next step for Alexander is to request an appeals hearing, which Lambert said he hopes will go before an independent party. That hearing must take place before June 23 and Alexander will be asking to have it expedited and held in a public forum.
“There are other claims that are also being considered,” said Lambert. “We're looking at age discrimination, considering what's been in the media maybe defamation, political gain. There could be more.”
Kaffenberger also announced in the release that he has named Capt. Dan Doyle the interim Chief of Police. Doyle had been serving as acting chief following the paid suspension of Alexander and Assistant Chief Randy McCaleb in April. McCaleb announced his retirement May 11.
“As I have stated before, I believe the citizens of Lake Havasu City not only deserve, but should also demand the highest ethical standards from all public service employees and especially from those sworn to uphold the law and protect life and property,” Kaffenberger wrote in the release. “I appreciate the patience and consideration of the entire community while we all work through some challenges that may be difficult, but I believe to be temporary.”

RitcheyRch
06-11-2006, 06:41 AM
Should get interesting.

Flying Tiger
06-11-2006, 06:45 AM
No coincidence this happened when the Snowbirds and other residents are outta town for the season?
They'd never put up with this.
Humm, political for sure.
Is Arizona a "fire At Will" State like Utah and Nevada?
Reads like the local polititians felt they were above reproach of the Law.
I love it when the LEOs prove otherwise, as it should be.
LEOS we were talking to in Nevada once told us they could be fired on the spot, no real recourse other than Dept policy for employees to appeal.
Wonder if Ariz is the same??

ThongMagnet
06-11-2006, 09:04 AM
I've seen thing's like this across america. It has gone on since the turn of time. It's call "the good ole boy's network". It's done at all levels, and not just Government. Contractors, business's, american political system, we all use it.
When the balance of power starts to change (usually because of money, and a change of demographs), you see thing's like this happen. This is what's happening in Lake Havasu City.
Its not always a bad thing, and sometimes not a good thing either. The mayor didn't wake up one morning and fire his Chief of Police. There was a lot of emails and phone calls that preceeded this event. It took the mayor 3 or 4 years (or more) to find the grounds to fire the Chief of police.
What's nice today is, a memory stick and one employee can copy a lot of data. Thats millions of emails. This will be interesting, as the information leaks out.
My bet, on the outcome, will be the City of Havasu will bow down and, and the Chief of Police will lose his job and walk away with a million or two, and keep quite.

beerjet
06-11-2006, 09:09 AM
No possibility he was part of the noise dept. :idea:

Boatcop
06-11-2006, 09:27 AM
Chiefs of Police in Arizona generally serve at the pleasure of the City Council. They can be released at any time with or without cause.
Usually there's a contract in place. In situations like this, the only real recourse is to enforce the provisions of the contract, absent any mis-conduct or violations of law by the appointed official.
The contract can become null and void if mis-conduct, policy violation, or criminal act was committed. However, if the dismissal was not grounded or arbritrary, then the full terms of the contract may be enforced. This usually means paying the dismissed official for the remainder of the contract term, whether they are actually working or not. Or a negotiated cash settlement.

C-2
06-11-2006, 09:27 AM
I've seen thing's like this across america. It has gone on since the turn of time. It's call "the good ole boy's network". It's done at all levels, and not just Government. Contractors, business's, american political system, we all use it.
When the balance of power starts to change (usually because of money, and a change of demographs), you see thing's like this happen. This is what's happening in Lake Havasu City.
Its not always a bad thing, and sometimes not a good thing either. The mayor didn't wake up one morning and fire his Chief of Police. There was a lot of emails and phone calls that preceeded this event. It took the mayor 3 or 4 years (or more) to find the grounds to fire the Chief of police.
What's nice today is, a memory stick and one employee can copy a lot of data. Thats millions of emails. This will be interesting, as the information leaks out.
My bet, on the outcome, will be the City of Havasu will bow down and, and the Chief of Police will lose his job and walk away with a million or two, and keep quite.
You offer an excellent analysis!
Yup – the good ole’ boys network has been around since the beginning of time and it’s not going anywhere soon.
Ad it’s not necessarily good ole’ “white boys” as we like to believe. It happens in cities controlled by all ethnicities. Do a quick Google on the city of South Gate and their former 27 year old female mayor (and as it turns out, her cousins) who were eventually booted from office. The same thing is also happening in Orange County with the newly re-elected Sheriff.
IMO and IME, if the public at large knew only half the shenanigans that took place behind close doors at city hall – there wouldn’t be any elected officials in office.
ItÂ’s all part of the grand scheme of life; good and bad.

Kilrtoy
06-11-2006, 10:31 AM
OK HERE IS THE TRUTH!
The chief of police was nice and waved to people and even talked nice to people. LHC would have none of this nice to people crap so they fired him..... :boxed:

ThongMagnet
06-11-2006, 10:37 AM
OK HERE IS THE TRUTH!
The chief of police was nice and waved to people and even talked nice to people. LHC would have none of this nice to people crap so they fired him..... :boxed:
Now that's a "Good ole boy" :) :) :)

shaffewm
06-11-2006, 12:36 PM
OK HERE IS THE TRUTH!
Wait a minute..you went through steamboat yesterday and didn't wave to anybody :)

slink
06-11-2006, 12:39 PM
Wait a minute..you went through steamboat yesterday and didn't wave to anybody :)
That's because he was off duty and in a DCB. I hear that's SOP

Kilrtoy
06-11-2006, 12:52 PM
Yes I did, i waved to a few people.

ThongMagnet
06-11-2006, 01:47 PM
I don't think using one finger counts :) :) :) :)

WUTWZAT
06-11-2006, 02:06 PM
I don't think with one finger up counts, does it? :crossx:
LMAO Jason

shueman
06-11-2006, 03:04 PM
OK HERE IS THE TRUTH!
I guess the mis-use of the credit cards had no bearing then....just a way to push 'em out.... :idea:

Kilrtoy
06-11-2006, 03:19 PM
I guess the mis-use of the credit cards had no bearing then....just a way to push 'em out.... :idea:
It would all depend on how you look at things.....
i mis-use mine everytime I use it and they all know it. It just depends when they decided to crack down on me....
Im only allowed per policy to buy 87 octane and regular oil
but I MUST buy 91 and synthetic oil.
SO it all depends :boxed:

Seadog
06-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Small town politics are usually the most corrupt of all politics. They are less likely to be sniffed out by media. Mainly because any local media is either non-aggressive or incompetent. They are too much indebted to the local government to make waves. Since a few people will hold the real power in any community, they hold a lot of sway over events.
In our society today, it is impossible to be 100% legal. Between all of the local, state, and federal regulations, many of which conflict which each other, it is easy for unscrupilous politicians to get rid of any opposition forces by enforcing regulations. I have seen a lot of cases where good employees have been fired or run off by small town leaders to give jobs to friends and relatives.
In any situation, you have two forces competing. The public never knows who is right and who is wrong. And often it is both who are wrong, it is just a power struggle. Say the city manager owes his job to X and the CoP is a compadre of Y, the city manger may want to get rid of the CoP as an attack on Y.
Politics are wild and wooly and we never know all the undercurrents involved. A local major contractor wanted to build a mall here. A businessman wanted it built on his property. The city council would not issue permits for the original property. No mall. Contractor was not going to fall in line, so he bid his time and got even.