PDA

View Full Version : shrink wrap/boat cover kit?????

TOBTEK
06-12-2006, 06:46 AM
anyone offer a kit for this? I found some suppliers for the wrap itself... but she is saying 600.00 for the propane heat gun?? will a handheld elec heat gun work...... who has the info on this??

Screaming Pete
06-12-2006, 06:50 AM
Tob, Hipp marine is san diego is the sd supplier for that stuff, dcb uses it all the time also. you could use a propane tank and a torch but becarefull you don't burn it to the ground. hand held heat gun about 50 bucks will work just takes a little longer......

Jordy
06-12-2006, 07:17 AM
Winterizing already Tob??? :idea: :D

TOBTEK
06-12-2006, 07:20 AM
Winterizing already Tob??? :idea: :D
no, just SUCKED cleaning 4 hours when we got up here in Shasta.... 12 hour road trip was messy. wanted to wrap it up going home.

Magic34
06-12-2006, 07:55 AM
no, just SUCKED cleaning 4 hours when we got up here in Shasta.... 12 hour road trip was messy. wanted to wrap it up going home.
Good call, but does that stuff leave a film or residue behind at all???

Lightning
06-12-2006, 08:16 AM
Being such a pimp, I surprised you don't have a really nice towing cover.

TOBTEK
06-12-2006, 08:17 AM
Good call, but does that stuff leave a film or residue behind at all???
FROM WHAT im finding so far, they are saying no residue left over "IF" you use the correct tape..... from what Ive found you can get a 12 or 14 foot width by 200 ft long roll for under 200 dollars.... but the heat gun is 6oo dollars........

Froggystyle
06-12-2006, 08:25 AM
FROM WHAT im finding so far, they are saying no residue left over "IF" you use the correct tape..... from what Ive found you can get a 12 or 14 foot width by 200 ft long roll for under 200 dollars.... but the heat gun is 6oo dollars........
You need a hell of a lot of heat over a very large area. You can use a propane tank with one of those wands they use to clean paint off of driveways and such. They work OK.
I use the stuff a lot. It doesn't leave any residue if done properly. The key is to have a really good seal on the bottom edge, re-inforce seat back areas with extra tape and add some structure to large flat areas like bowrider areas for example. I use a piece of 1"x1" wood to keep it from flapping around. Just tape the wood underneath.