PDA

View Full Version : what do trim tabs do????????????????????

EMCAM
06-12-2006, 05:36 PM
how to stop the rear of a boat stop dancing. Its a 21 ft hallett ss with blown big block at 70/75 it starts the dancing. will tabs help. any info helps.Its my buddys boat and i have a jet so i have very little knoledge on this.

dicudmore
06-12-2006, 05:37 PM
trim tabs will push the bow down a bit and help with chine walk (side to side rocking)

Havasu Hangin'
06-12-2006, 05:40 PM
trim tabs will push the bow down a bit and help with chine walk (side to side rocking)...
...and scrub off some speed.

dicudmore
06-12-2006, 05:41 PM
...and scrub off some speed.
haha ya think :idea:

EMCAM
06-12-2006, 05:44 PM
this boat hasent even reached it potent speed yet we are not even in the secondarys at 70mph this boat and motor has 90 mph + if the dancining stops

Havasu Hangin'
06-12-2006, 05:51 PM
Loose = fast
Too loose = fast swim
Tabs will fix it, but it's not fun to spend all that money on HP...and have to give some speed away. I would try a different prop first- you may be lifting the stern too much.

JustDawn
06-12-2006, 06:04 PM
...Try counter steering.
My v-bottom starts to chine about 80,A friend of mine with a LOT of seat time in fast V's taught me the fine art of counter steering through the chine...it seems to help.
I usually run my tabs(280-s,offshore tabs) about 3 on the indicator,this way you don't bury the nose and run the risk of stuffing into an on coming roller...(PlayDeep)

EMCAM
06-12-2006, 06:04 PM
ok let me ask this will a shorter lower unit help along with trim tabs

EMCAM
06-12-2006, 06:16 PM
Is there any special types of trim tabs,better brands,styles????????????????

Go Ciggie
06-12-2006, 06:56 PM
EMCAM,
if your considering a shorter unit, I am assuming it is a stern drive.
You may want to check the side to side play in the steering of the unit by grabbing the outdrive at the cav plate and see if you can move it side to side.. If you don't have hydro steering(EXTERNAL STEERING a must at those speeds), you may have slop in the gimble and the drive is wondering at speeds.

atomickitn
06-12-2006, 07:20 PM
this boat hasent even reached it potent speed yet we are not even in the secondarys at 70mph this boat and motor has 90 mph + if the dancining stops
if you havent even reached the potential (some say ) get out of the boat if your having probs at 70 what do think its going to be like at 90???however a shorter lower will only make it worse, it will put the center line closer to the surface, and make matters worse, it sounds like the ( X ) might be to high, befor you put a short lower , try a 1"spacer to lower the drive deeper into the water to make the drive more stable, it is alot cheeper for a spacer than a short lower, and is alot safer.........if all else fails be sure to where a life jacket.... and drive slower....

havasurat27
06-12-2006, 07:54 PM
I would never consider 90mph without any additional control ie: tabs. Big tabs at that epecially in a 21'. By big I mean heavy duty like K planes or Dana 1000s. Little Bennett tabs will fail quickly. A set of 18" K planes will make the 21ft' boat act as a 23'. You will loose a little off the big end as you take them past "0" but it be a much easier to control the chine walk and bow lift at 90mph. I have a 240 w/ big K planes that runs 73mph and I use them all the time. Especially in the notorious Havasu chop. Just my 2 cents.

a catered life
06-13-2006, 07:53 AM
trim tabs will push the bow down a bit and help with chine walk (side to side rocking)
yo dicudmore what up bro hows the new boat running

Cruzzze
06-13-2006, 08:48 AM
Ok, so what about a 25' at about 60mph going from side to side, will K planes cure that?

havasurat27
06-13-2006, 09:39 AM
Ok, so what about a 25' at about 60mph going from side to side, will K planes cure that?
Can't say that it would cure the problem but will help you fine tune your run at 60. It really depends on what is causing the rocking....could be inperfections in the bottom of the hull. Could be the prop, skeg, sloppy steering or any number of things. The tabs will deffinately help out and will be worth the money spent.

AZJD
06-13-2006, 09:45 AM
I would definately try to space the drive. I run a lower sporty off an Xr, and have K Planes. If I run them past 3 on the indicator you definatley notice the handling of the boat changing, aswell as much more prop slip when turning. The boat has a bigger tendancy to cavitate using the tabs due to the drive being a few inches closer to the surface!

riverracerx
06-13-2006, 10:12 AM
They say they make you thinner? Ask Anna Nicole?
http://www.trimspa.com/metabo/metabo_bottle.gif

Drift
06-13-2006, 11:21 AM
OK... WTF!
Is it just me or is anyone else scared about this situation... The guy needs to know what trim tabs do because he's got a boat that gets loose at 90 MPH!
If you don't know WTF they do or how they work DO NOT DRIVE YOU or YOUR BUDDIES BOAT ANYWHERE NEAR THOSE SPEEDS.
Damn, with all the SH!T that has been happening at the river this summer....... :mad: :mad:

havasurat27
06-13-2006, 11:49 AM
OK... WTF!
Is it just me or is anyone else scared about this situation... The guy needs to know what trim tabs do because he's got a boat that gets loose at 90 MPH!
If you don't know WTF they do or how they work DO NOT DRIVE YOU or YOUR BUDDIES BOAT ANYWHERE NEAR THOSE SPEEDS.
Damn, with all the SH!T that has been happening at the river this summer....... :mad: :mad:
It is scarry to think that there is a 90mph piece of fiberglass floppin' around out there somewhere!

atomickitn
06-13-2006, 11:57 AM
OK... WTF!
dude he said it gets lose at 70/75 ....capable of 90....had'nt hit 90 yet :rollside: all i can say is stay the f away from me

Beer-30
06-13-2006, 12:07 PM
I was told a little story once by Mr. Keith Sayre. He knows a thing or two about every hull made, and has driven a few different boats - so I listen. Some of you may have heard of him.
That being said:
He told me a boat like mine (30' Sleek) had been built with a 1000 HP 10-71 motor as the guy wanted 100 mph. Keith said it took them 6 runs to get it to hit a high of 95, only due to it being so scary at those speeds. He said the hull just doesn't like going over 90.
Sounds to me like this guy is at the end of the hull. If the hull doesn't want any more speed, don't try to get it. Seems pretty simple.
Put the motor in a 26+ footer and go to town!