PDA

View Full Version : Jackson not running for Mayor in LHC....

shueman
06-15-2006, 05:35 AM
MORE LHC POLITICAL DRAMA...
Ballot printing machines in Mohave County should be rolling soon; the filing deadline for September's primary elections has passed.
Incumbent Mayor, Harvey Jackson, winning office following a recall election last September, will not be running for re-election.
When reached for comment Wednesday on the impact losing the English Village bid had on his decision, Jackson said, “That vote was mid-May, and by that date I thought I would have made a decision. It turned out to have no factor.”
In May, Lake Havasu City voters disapproved of Proposition 300, a measure that would have cleared the way for Mayor Jackson to purchase land in the northeast portion of the English Village.
Roughly 76 percent of voters did not approve Prop. 300.
“Looking back on it, I got hit with a lot of unanticipated stuff.
Realistically, you can buckle down and say I don't care about doing the popular thing. I don't believe in it anyway, don't respect politicians who pander for votes,” Jackson stated.
On the climate he inherited last September, he said, “The place had a tinge of an odor of corruption. Taking care of that was a fightŠwent ahead and did what had to be done, but that was bound to be unpopular.”
In addition to voting for a new mayor, residents will choose among six City Council candidates for three open seats. At the county level, incumbent Jill Wachtel Davis is running unopposed, while five candidates will be competing for Constable.
Mayoral candidates
Don Callahan, with 828 petition signatures, and owner of a local Dairy Queen, was one of the first candidates to file, along with Don Clark, turning in 838 signatures and Sam Scarmardo with 799.
Clark is a partner/owner of a real estate company in Mohave County and a former City Council member, while Scarmardo is owner Sam's Shooter's Emporium and also a former City Council member.
Ed Jacobs, with 745 signatures, is a real-estate professional, while
Mark Nexsen, a public accountant who turned in 1,131 signatures, both filed for office with the city clerk well before the deadline, but after Clark, Scarmardo, and Callahan.
City Council candidates
Bruce Hinman, with 897 signatures. Is an incumbent and president of The Democratic Association of Havasu. He was one of the first candidates to officially file for City Council.
David McAtlin (798), an electrician, and Dean Barlow (761), active in Keep Havasu Beautiful and Big Brothers/Big Sisters will be running as well.
In late May, Margaret Nyberg, an incumbent, officially threw her hat in for re-election, submitting just more than 1,000 signatures.
On Monday, Brian Wedemeyer, former Today's News-Herald reporter and current English teacher at Daytona Middle School, turned in 738 signatures, thus solidifying his spot in the race two days before the deadline.
Sergi Heideman turned in his paperwork, containing 671 elector signatures, yesterday, making him the last candidate to enter the race.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
06-15-2006, 05:37 AM
Ya-Hoo!
:rollside:

havaduner
06-15-2006, 06:45 AM
I think we should make Kilr a write in candidate. :p

HavasuSelect
06-15-2006, 06:47 AM
......or Larry Flynt

Ryphraph
06-15-2006, 11:36 AM
One year terms?
I thought most were longer than that.
Ryph

Kilrtoy
06-15-2006, 11:42 AM
I think we should make Kilr a write in candidate. :p
I think you should all write the wife in in one of the vacation spots... SOUTH END SPOTS
YVONNE BIN
then we will see this town become the small home town vacation spot we all love

ChumpChange
06-15-2006, 12:29 PM
One year terms?
I thought most were longer than that.
Ryph
He was elected during a recall election. He was just finishing out the previous Mayor's term.

Ion
06-15-2006, 01:14 PM
MORE LHC POLITICAL DRAMA...
Incumbent Mayor, Harvey Jackson, winning office following a recall election last September, will not be running for re-election..
Fan-f-ing-tastic! This town doesn't need any more reactionary, me-me schnit from this knucklehead. Good riddance!