PDA

View Full Version : ATK Engine Experiences

CNeidhart
06-16-2006, 12:59 AM
Hi,
Has anyone had a good or bad experience with an ATK Remanufactured Marine Engine? Where talking a near stock long block. I toasted my 7.4, which was only a 330 HP series. Basically, it was a marine truck engine.
If I was to rebuild it, I would still have a 2 bolt main and a standard crank. I would want to buy new heads. By time I rebuild my short block with forged pistons IÂ’ll have about $2,500 to $3,000 in it. Then the heads will be about another $2,500.
I can get this ATK Engine in 16 days delivered to Havasu for $4,395. The specification as I remember them (papers are at the Office) Gen VI Block, 4 bolt main, 5140 Steel crank, 468 CI, 502 rods, Comp Cam, Rectangular Port heads with stainless steel valves.
Any advice?
Any experiences?

Kilrtoy
06-16-2006, 01:06 AM
I would call the shop you plan on having the engine installed by and ask them what they think

djunkie
06-16-2006, 01:39 AM
I think Notalent works for that place. Or one of those big engine building places.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-16-2006, 02:05 AM
I sell ATK engines at my store and they have a kickass warranty. They have a rep that comes in about once a month and keeps us informed on any changes. For an aftermarket company they sure do have great customer service and I never had a customer complain about thier work. On the other hand, DO NOT buy a engine from Recon!!!! That company has poor customer service! I had alot of issues with them when I worked for autozone......

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-16-2006, 02:06 AM
I just noticed that you are in phoenix. Pm me with your number and I can help you out.

CNeidhart
06-16-2006, 05:13 AM
Hi,
I felt the same way. The warranty seems more then fair and yes, I know Notalent works there, but he does not sell marine engines.
What got me to ask the forum is I had/have a spam add on the forum and got a couple ATK bashing comments. I figured it would be smart to ask the question.
Kilrtoy;Savage has the boat and I have asked them the same question and sent the specifications in an email.
396; you have mail.

NOTALENT
06-16-2006, 05:15 AM
Hi,
Has anyone had a good or bad experience with an ATK Remanufactured Marine Engine? Where talking a near stock long block. I toasted my 7.4, which was only a 330 HP series. Basically, it was a marine truck engine.
If I was to rebuild it, I would still have a 2 bolt main and a standard crank. I would want to buy new heads. By time I rebuild my short block with forged pistons IÂ’ll have about $2,500 to $3,000 in it. Then the heads will be about another $2,500.
I can get this ATK Engine in 16 days delivered to Havasu for $4,395. The specification as I remember them (papers are at the Office) Gen VI Block, 4 bolt main, 5140 Steel crank, 468 CI, 502 rods, Comp Cam, Rectangular Port heads with stainless steel valves.
Any advice?
Any experiences?
So I take it the other office was able to help you out???

CNeidhart
06-16-2006, 05:21 AM
Yes. They have faxed over the order ticket last night. I'll take care of it today.
Sorry you couldn't put another feather in your hat.

NOTALENT
06-16-2006, 05:28 AM
Yes. They have faxed over the order ticket last night. I'll take care of it today.
Sorry you couldn't put another feather in your hat.
No problem....They go through outside vendors for things like this. Pretty stupid why we cant do the same thing seeing how were the corporate office...Glad to hear they took care of you.

NOTALENT
06-16-2006, 05:53 AM
Another thing...I might check out the engine Squeezing Spectra has as well. He does great work and it definatly sounds like a great deal. You will save some cash as well.

harrisonmirage
06-16-2006, 06:39 AM
Don't use forged pistons on your stock cast crank,they are to heavy.You can build a pretty stout motor with what you have but I wouldn't shoot for more than about 425 hp an 5000 rpm max.I would use kb piston and scat rods for a cheap but better than stock combo(make sure to balance).Check out the edelbrock aluminum marine heads.They are the same that GM sells on there HO crate mators but they come with inconel valves.Get the small chambers and flat top pistons and you will be around 9:1 compresion just guessing and you can support a reasonable cam(comp 224/230 would be a good choice with minnimal reversion). Check out flatlander racing web site.They have good pricing.If you want to step it up a notch look into the GM zz502 crate motor.I did one a couple of years ago and it has been great.Mine is in a 5000 pound deep v boat that gets the snot run out of it on days that end in y.I tore mine down and balanced,decked,swaped to inconel valves,loosened tolerances,reground cam to widen lsa,used comp promag roller rockers,air gap manifold ,and holley 800 cfm 4150 double pumper.Basicly I bought the motor to get a good bunch of parts to start with.The motors needs a long riser exhaust and will revert if idled to much.I know of people dropping these motors in with no issues but if you want a motor you can beat on go the extra mile and build it right.You can expect an honest 500 hp out of this combo.Don't fool your self about cost.The motor is 6000 and you will throw another 3000-4000 grand at it.If you want the good GM parts you have to buck up.You will need a big oil cooler to keep oil temp down.There is a lot of satisfaction when you are at the beach and you open the lid to show of your own hand built motor.Any one can borrow the monney and buy a new production performance boat but you will gain respect of fellow gear heads by building your own.

Big Kahunaa
06-16-2006, 08:16 AM
i have put quite a few atk engines only had one problem and they sent me a new motor they are the only motors i buy if i dont build my own