PDA

View Full Version : What is the biggest size.....

91nordic29
06-16-2006, 08:02 AM
tires that will fit on my stock 2wd duramax with stock rims without rubbing anything? :cool:

Jordy
06-16-2006, 08:36 AM
On a stock wheel??? You can crank the torsions up and clear a 285/75R16, or if that's too tight for you, you can run a 265/75R16 with a little more room. That's what I did on my company truck with just enough crank to level it out. ;)

laveydayz
06-16-2006, 08:45 AM
On a stock wheel??? You can crank the torsions up and clear a 285/75R16, or if that's too tight for you, you can run a 265/75R16 with a little more room. That's what I did on my company truck with just enough crank to level it out. ;)
Spend the extra $150-$200 for the Off Road Unlimited torsion keys to level the front. I tried cranking the torsion bars on my '06 2500 and it rode like absolute sh*T. Installed the keys with Bilstien shocks and it rides as good as stock. Now clears 285/75/16 tires with 16x8 wheels. Without the leveling you can clear the 285/75/16 but you will have to trim the plastic airdam below your bumber.

Jordy
06-16-2006, 08:48 AM
Spend the extra $150-$200 for the Off Road Unlimited torsion keys to level the front.
Great, another torsion bar thread. So you spent that much money on a set of reindexed keys that you can get from the dealer for like $60??? Hmmm.... :idea:
Explain to me how having the reindexed keys (and GM makes about 6 of them I believe, all color coded) where the key essentially moves the torsion bars up without having to crank them up with the adjuster screw, is any different than just cranking up the adjuster screw. Ultimately they both do the same thing, right???

life's a river
06-16-2006, 08:51 AM
I just had 285 75 16's put on my truck yesterday. You need to have 16" x 8" wheels. I don't think they will work with the stock rims.
My 2 cents.
PK

laveydayz
06-16-2006, 09:16 AM
Great, another torsion bar thread. So you spent that much money on a set of reindexed keys that you can get from the dealer for like $60??? Hmmm.... :idea:
Explain to me how having the reindexed keys (and GM makes about 6 of them I believe, all color coded) where the key essentially moves the torsion bars up without having to crank them up with the adjuster screw, is any different than just cranking up the adjuster screw. Ultimately they both do the same thing, right??? Well I thought the exact same thing but I will tell you from my experience that the ride quality is night and day. When I did crank the torsions they were not even close to being maxed out either?? The cost was including install as well. I still think that cranking these up is the same as the keys as you still have to increase the load on the torsion bars to raise the front? As long as the ride is good im happy.....

Jordy
06-16-2006, 09:19 AM
Well I thought the exact same thing but I will tell you from my experience that the ride quality is night and day.
Yeah, you changed shocks out, right??? :idea:
I still want to know how 2" of torsion bar lift by cranking the torsions is different than 2" of torsion bar lift by putting different keys in. Let me know when you figure that one out. ;)
I've done both, but I got my keys from the dealer and did them myself, with new shocks and 75K miles later I've had no problems. My company truck, which is a 2wd D-max, has stock keys run in just enough to level it and it's got almost 50K miles on it with no problems and still rides like stock too. :D

thumbs
06-16-2006, 09:21 AM
What about an 05' F-150 4x4 with 20' wheels? How tall of a tire can I put there without a rubbing problem? I don't care much for the look of the tries that it currently has.

caroftheweek
06-16-2006, 09:22 AM
i have run 295/75/16 on my last 3 trucks with stock alloy wheels. i had to trim the front air dam but and bump up the torsion bars a bit. i really liked the ride and it looked good.
Ryan

ratso
06-16-2006, 09:22 AM
...the biggest size...that will fit...without rubbing anything...

laveydayz
06-16-2006, 09:49 AM
Yeah, you changed shocks out, right??? :idea:
I still want to know how 2" of torsion bar lift by cranking the torsions is different than 2" of torsion bar lift by putting different keys in. Let me know when you figure that one out. ;)
I've done both, but I got my keys from the dealer and did them myself, with new shocks and 75K miles later I've had no problems. My company truck, which is a 2wd D-max, has stock keys run in just enough to level it and it's got almost 50K miles on it with no problems and still rides like stock too. :D
I agree 100% but the guys at ORU kept telling me there is a difference?? I still do not believe them as you still have to load the torsion bar to raise the front period. I am thinking the re indexed keys just allow you to have extra thread before cranking them up??? I have thought as you that the shocks could have been what smoothed out the ride. The stock shock did not have the extended travel of the Bilstein which im sure effected the ride. Oh well whatever the case it does ride good now. What size rims did you go with Jordy? I have heard different stories on this as well?? I went with 16x8 but I have heard you can get away with 16x9's as well???

Jordy
06-16-2006, 09:55 AM
What size rims did you go with Jordy?
I'm running 16x10's with the 285's and I put the green keys in, had it aligned and down the road I go. :D
Of course the guys at the offroad shop are going to tell you there is a difference as theyr'e trying to get you to spend $300 on something you can get for $60 at the dealer. I had them tell me that running the torsion bars in wouldn't work and I needed to spend a couple grand on a lift.

OutCole'd
06-16-2006, 09:59 AM
I went out & bought a leveling kit for mine. Just a joke as far as i'm concerned. You still need to twist the torsion bars or it rubs, so why bother?

laveydayz
06-16-2006, 10:05 AM
I'm running 16x10's with the 285's and I put the green keys in, had it aligned and down the road I go. :D
Of course the guys at the offroad shop are going to tell you there is a difference as theyr'e trying to get you to spend $300 on something you can get for $60 at the dealer. I had them tell me that running the torsion bars in wouldn't work and I needed to spend a couple grand on a lift.
16X10? dam I wish I would have known this before I got my 16x8's .... do they stick out far? also what do the different color codes mean on the GM keys? Thats good to know that you have the mileage you do with no issues.

Jordy
06-16-2006, 10:08 AM
also what do the different color codes mean on the GM keys?
The colors all refer to the degrees of indexing that is built into the torsion keys. I was looking around earlier and trying to find the breakdown of what color was what and how many degrees, but couldn't find it. It used to be on a truck site.
The 10's do stick out a little further than stock, but the tires aren't as balllony looking as the 285's I've seen on stock rims. I'm thinking I might jump up to 315's next time I get tires as I've got the room for them.

laveydayz
06-16-2006, 10:17 AM
[QUOTE=Jordy]The colors all refer to the degrees of indexing that is built into the torsion keys. I was looking around earlier and trying to find the breakdown of what color was what and how many degrees, but couldn't find it. It used to be on a truck site.
The 10's do stick out a little further than stock, but the tires aren't as balllony looking as the 285's I've seen on stock rims. I'm thinking I might jump up to 315's next time I get tires as I've got the room for them.[/QUOTE
It does appear that with the leveling kit you can run a bigger tire. If I had to do it all over again I think I wold go with a wider rim and bigger tire. Good info though Jordy!!

91nordic29
06-17-2006, 05:14 AM
...the biggest size...that will fit...without rubbing anything...
you are either being smart or nasty......cant tell which ;)
thanks, jordy, et al...... :cool:

INFINITEJJ
06-17-2006, 02:55 PM
Explain to me how having the reindexed keys (and GM makes about 6 of them I believe, all color coded) where the key essentially moves the torsion bars up without having to crank them up with the adjuster screw, is any different than just cranking up the adjuster screw. Ultimately they both do the same thing, right???
YES, re-indexing and cranking are the same thing. Torsion bars are a liniar spring and twisting is twisting, it doesn't matter how you do it. So to say it rides like crap when cranked and rides good with keys is just assinine.

INFINITEJJ
06-17-2006, 02:58 PM
265/75R16, any thing bigger and you will have to trim.

AZKC
06-17-2006, 03:07 PM
16x10's Los Vato Loco :crossx: El barro que tira basura :skull: usted quiere lavar su camiĆ³n :)