PDA

View Full Version : Life jacket for infants

Dawn Patrol
06-16-2006, 08:55 AM
What is everyone else using as lifejackets for kids around 8 months old? We bought the really nice ones at West Marine for children under 1 year old and it doesn't fit her well at all. Can anyone recommend a good life jacket that fits kids under 1 year?
Thanks

Old Texan
06-16-2006, 09:50 AM
I get goosebumps when I see infants or very young children on a boat. I've been around boats and the water all my life and things have a tendency to happen fast without warning.
While it's a wonderful thing to spend as much time together as a family as possible, it is often not a prudent decision to place a young child into a situation where danger lurks and they may have to fend for their own survival. Buckling into a child safety seat in an automobile is one thing, plus auto travel is generally a neccesity. Boats on the other hand have a lot more considerations and placing a child in one generally isn't a neccessity. An overturned or disoriented watercraft rarely gives second chances.
Not trying to ruffle any feathers or telling someone what to do, just expressing my personal opinion. :)

riverjunkie
06-16-2006, 10:13 AM
I ended up using the same one will all 3 of our girls, (I am not sure of the brand but it was one that zipped in the front with the classic buckle coming around the waist and throught the waist, it also had the flat off the back of the neck with a strap for grabbing on to) (sorry for my sorry ass technical description), none of them ever fit into it well or should I say comfortably, can an infant really be comfortable in a life jacket, I personally dont think so. We would just suit her up and try to hold her as comfortable for her as possible, ususally having to adjust frequently. However my kids always got in the boat and fell right and I mean RIGHT to sleep, and still do at 9, 6, and almost 4.

HMF'er
06-16-2006, 10:16 AM
WalMart special!
The infant vests have the buoyant pad behind the head, thick buoyant pad on the front of the torso, and no buoyancy on the back of the torso. It's made that way so the infant is automatically turned face up and their head supported.
BTW, I had both of my kids on the water when they were under 1 and it was a pain in the a*s. Find a babysitter if you can.

tamalewagon
06-16-2006, 10:17 AM
I've got a little guy 8 months old and Dane (Hocuspocus) turned me on to a lifevest made by Stearns that fits him perfectly. They sell them at Sportmart. My little boy doesn't fuss, scream, pout or seem generally unhappy in it. :cool: Try their website.

Riomouse911
06-16-2006, 08:40 PM
We got our 9 month old a HO Sports neoprene jacket at Costco.. was under 30 skins, I believe...

sleekcraft137
06-16-2006, 08:48 PM
WalMart special!
The infant vests have the buoyant pad behind the head, thick buoyant pad on the front of the torso, and no buoyancy on the back of the torso. It's made that way so the infant is automatically turned face up and their head supported.
BTW, I had both of my kids on the water when they were under 1 and it was a pain in the a*s. Find a babysitter if you can.
Ditto that....Got one today for my 5 month old, Worked GREAT!

cxr133
06-16-2006, 10:15 PM
WalMart special!
LIKE THIS ONE....... had our baby out on the water at 2 months last july for a whole month straight.... and now again at 13 months
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3426LOOK-AT-ME-med.jpg

Dawn Patrol
06-17-2006, 06:02 AM
Great, thanks for the info everybody. I am going to check them out and see what works. :)